• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

That was quite the finale, it's like... I've overdosed on Dio. They definitely went all out on the fight with Dio and the toxic levels of smugness.

Overall I think it's a fine way to experience Part 3 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, there was a fight I was pretty upset about not being in (Iggy vs Pet Shop), though it did allow for a pretty sweet end to one of the villains. But the Dio fight was just so good as was the D'arby episode.

However I do think people who liked it should check out the manga, and I don't mean that in a blubblubblub manga > anime sort of way, but in a Stardust Crusader's isn't nearly as good as the parts that came after it that haven't been animated sort of way. Heck, skip Stardust Crusaders for all I care! (well, I mean... don't because; Pet Shop)

Also play the game it's awesome.

And buy the art books.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Persona 4 05: This was the most enjoyable episode so far because of how many liberties it's taking with the events from the game. Was that how Ai's Social Link went? I never finished bothered to do hers. I didn't have enough courage at the right time.

Charlie is so alpha he doesn't have to do anything to have all the girls fawning for his dick. Also, nice Catherine cameo. lulz

My first full day at Youmacon was a long one. Was in registration line for about two hours; checked out a classic video game music panel; saw some anime music videos; got two personal items signed by Vic M. with a picture taken with him (post that later); checked out possible titles worth picking up; was part of a SSBM tourney where I got my ass kicked in the first round; got lots of Streetpass tags on my 3DS; checked out a panel featuring a group that does DBZ: Abridged or whatever the hell it's called

Also saw some hentai music videos. And I did find it peculiar that the dealer's area was selling a bunch of hentai titles.

Anyway, only two shows caught my eye since they were on Blu-Ray: Black Blood Brothers and Burst Angel. Are either of them worth checking out? I'll be sure to pay attention to the DVD section when I go back later today.
And should I even bother picking up a hentai title?

Well, time for bed. Only have a few hours of sleep before I go back to the convention

Geneijin

DGjz5.jpg

JgUKJ.jpg

So this is where Miku's been.

wonzo

Banned
Boku no friends 1-2

D35J9.jpg

(obviously a cheap pfp knockoff)

unlike the ova this was pretty enjoyable. first ep was a bit shit tho

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Idolm@ster 18 - Very good episode, solid atmosphere, great direction, nice sense of tone. Not much more I can say than that!

Penguin drum 17 - Interesting episode, as others have said felt very much like a set-up episode, so I find it hard to have a opinion on it, however I am finding myself having some reservations about
tabuki ending up a major player near the end of the series, considering he was barely existent for the past few episodes mmm
curious about what direction they are going take that in regardless.

Branduil

Lafiel said:
Penguin drum 17 - Interesting episode, as others have said felt very much like a set-up episode, so I find it hard to have a opinion on it, however I am finding myself having some reservations about
tabuki ending up a major player near the end of the series, considering he was barely existent for the past few episodes mmm
I think it was obvious that there was more to that character than it first appeared, so I don't think the bigger role is a surprise.

cajunator

Banned
doomed1 said:
Listen, I'm sorry to be the one to have to say this, but there isn't a single anime, nay, nerd community out there that isn't embarrassing to be a part of on some level. At the very least, you can take solace in that we don't fawn over these series shallowly like many other communities and for the most part we can all clearly, respectably, and deeply express our opinions and perceptions of the shows we watch, even if we sometimes don't agree. It's better than the shallow BS that gets thrown around most anime communities filled with Nippon-dazzled kawaiidesunee plebeians.

Really, we argue because our academic, anime-watching-master-race status comes with a touch of elitism. We just happen to have several different types of elitists. :p
I aint embarrassed to be a part of this fine group of animu fans. I love you people.
Even the ugly ones.

Steroyd

wonzo said:
Boku no friends 1-2

http://i.imgur.com/D35J9.jpg[IMG]
(obviously a cheap pfp knockoff)

[B]unlike the ova this was pretty enjoyable. first ep was a bit shit tho[/B][/QUOTE]

The OVA was awful, almost didn't watch the series because of it.

Guilty Crown 4

I didn't mind Shu in the first 3 eps. but the first half really annoyed me. Besides Shu's issues, the episode was good and the action was great.

Boku Tomo 1

Alright I guess, had some slightly funny moments here and there but I'll have to watch a few more to decide.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dresden said:
Ah, Fate/Zero Saturdays.

Yep! Get hyped.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Truly bizarre indeed. A series that was so utterly ridiculous and a blast to watch. For the most part the first 7 episodes (or technically the 7 that were made later) were much more enjoyable than the other 6, but the Dio fight was great stuff.

Blah blah blah read the manga and other stuff, I have no interest in doing that. This series probably wouldn't be as enjoyable in ridiculously large doses of 900 chapters or whatever obscene number the series is at now.

Branduil's point about a series not afraid of killing people off is quite silly since
Avdol gets killed in the later 7 only to get BS resurrected and then in the second part Joestar literally gets ALL THE BLOOD sucked out of his body but survives anyway thanks to some crazy blood fusion shenanigans.

Geneijin

scy said:
Even in battle, they talk a lot Horizon 5 - If this episode came sooner, I imagine there would be a few more people still on board with this.

Well, we finally get
an explanation as to Horizon's overall significance to the plot -- the 9th Mortal Sin weapon. And Motonobu's goal (...maybe) is explained: To divert from the history of the world as dictated by the Testament by causing a new war. Maybe? Since they're after the destruction of the world ... am I to think of them as the bad guys? Good guys for fighting against the recreation of History as a means to prevent the destruction of the world? Either way, Mikawa is destroyed, Horizon is taken, and shit is going to go down ...
Tadakatsu is oblivious to the plans by Motonobu. He follows Motonobu out of mere loyalty from being part of the Honda house.

And here's how you can think of Motonobu as being a bad guy. The apocalypse was already foretold within the Testament and by the Testament Union. So everyone is waiting for their future, eventual death. He accelerates everyone's path of destruction by telling them to defy fate. Not only to not wait for their doom but to change their fate and go against it. Him blowing Mikawa was harmless since the city was practically empty except for Tadakatsu, Mononobu, and a bunch of maid robots really.

Really, the crux of what Motonobu did makes him a villain because he's forcing everyone to confront the apocalypse sooner than anticipated while baiting everyone with the information on how to prevent the apocalypse to begin a world war over power and control. He could be called a savior because of this revelation on how to save everyone, but he also created this situation with all this tension and shit...

Jex

Lafiel said:
Didn't you say that about Yuri? And couldn't you also say that about Masako? Everyone in the OP is clearly important, I'd say!

wsippel

Banned
Jexhius said:
Jo Jo's

DIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

jojos13boat.jpg
Raab Karcher GmbH? Really? Obscure, to say the least. I doubt anyone in Japan (or anywhere outside of Germany for that matter) ever even heard of that company. Did the author live in Germany or something?

Jex

Sukeban Deka 1(91 OVA)

Qs4ceC2TcG5QwTr.jpg

It's actually as entertaining as it looks, helped in great part by one part amazing dub and one part interesting animation. Just a fun, silly package with plenty of Dezaki postcard memories to go around.
wsippel said:
Raab Karcher GmbH? Really? Obscure, to say the least. I doubt anyone in Japan (or anywhere outside of Germany for that matter) ever even heard of that company. Did the author live in Germany or something?
They probably just did their homework with some actual research, which is always nice to see.

NewFresh

Jexhius said:
Sukeban Deka 1(91 OVA)

It's actually as entertaining as it looks, helped in great part by one part amazing dub and one part interesting animation. Just a fun, silly package with plenty of Dezaki postcard memories to go around.

Dat yo-yo!

I would love to rewatch this. The only time I did was a bad Spanish dub on T.V. when I was twelve . I think it has great animation, but the character designs were pretty sub-par.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Jexhius said:
Didn't you say that about Yuri? And couldn't you also say that about Masako? Everyone in the OP is clearly important, I'd say!
I think my problem is, not that I didn't expect them to become important characters later on down the line, is it somewhat feels unnatural the way they are executing it, in that there hasn't been much lead-up to their importance, if that makes sense, because as i said earlier tabuki has barely has a presence in the past few episodes, or arguably the majority of the series in terms of characterization, in fact i barely have a opinion on him as a character at this point, and I'd say the same thing about yuri lol.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Articalys said:
What the hell, man. You couldn't even wait until official results so you just had to get the first post in, huh?
I just do it to piss you off, sweetie. 人◕ ‿‿ ◕人

Jex

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Dat yo-yo!

I would love to rewatch this. The only time I did was a bad Spanish dub on T.V. when I was twelve . I think it has great animation, but the character designs were pretty sub-par.
The english dub is really something to behold. In your ear.

1st 512 Mami Tomoe @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica
2nd 435 Kyouko Sakura @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica
4387112.jpg

She's the second-best meguca so I'm okay with this.

zeroshiki said:
After Railgun lost to some stupid unknown character, you knew the fix was in.
Mikoto's overwhelming support mysteriously disappeared when she reached the group final. Strange that.

Defuser

A Huge Battleship said:
Mikoto's overwhelming support mysteriously disappeared when she reached the group final. Strange that.
She did quite well for a character whose second season refuses to get animated by J.CStaff and a minor to useless role in Index II.

duckroll

Fate/Zero Ep6

Solid episode. I'm glad they're taking a measured pace with the series and not abandoning the character drama for straight action. After two episodes filled with action, it's nice to see another episode focusing on the various interactions between the characters in their own groups, and the various schemes and plans they're working on. Some great plot developments as well. This continues to be my favorite show of the season.

7Th

By the final episode, the show will be only about full-CG characters going on and on with Nasu-style exposition and debating Nasu-style "ethics".

Reknoc

Fatexero - 6

A slower episode than the last two but still a pretty good one, a bit more screen time for Caster is always a good thing. Other highlights include
Reckless driving, Lancer's Master's hot wife, a building getting blown up (fuck yeah!), and Archer being totally boss

darkside31337 said:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Blah blah blah read the manga and other stuff, I have no interest in doing that. This series probably wouldn't be as enjoyable in ridiculously large doses of 900 chapters or whatever obscene number the series is at now.

You'd think so but you'd be wrong. To complain about there being many chapters is the same as complaining about sequels in any other franchise. You don't look at A Song of Ice and Fire and go "That's like a billion chapters! Pass" I mean, at least I hope you don't. Also the Stands in part 3 are really pedestrian, and Araki goes much crazier with their powers in later parts.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
PdotMichael said:
from the funny pictrue thread:

Q0hQ1.jpg

It's so wrong but soo :cajun, I wanna starscream out loud
Now THAT is a body pillow I could be proud to own >:D

Branduil said:
doomed1
Everything is literary criticism to me
This is more accurate than I'd like to admit...

scy

Geneijin said:
Tadakatsu is oblivious to the plans by Motonobu. He follows Motonobu out of mere loyalty from being part of the Honda house.

And here's how you can think of Motonobu as being a bad guy. The apocalypse was already foretold within the Testament and by the Testament Union. So everyone is waiting for their future, eventual death. He accelerates everyone's path of destruction by telling them to defy fate. Not only to not wait for their doom but to change their fate and go against it. Him blowing Mikawa was harmless since the city was practically empty except for Tadakatsu, Mononobu, and a bunch of maid robots really.

Really, the crux of what Motonobu did makes him a villain because he's forcing everyone to confront the apocalypse sooner than anticipated while baiting everyone with the information on how to prevent the apocalypse to begin a world war over power and control. He could be called a savior because of this revelation on how to save everyone, but he also created this situation with all this tension and shit...

As far as Tadakatsu is concerned, Motonobu's orders are just absolute. That's some loyalty right there~

And I can see Motonobu as the villain due to this. Basically accelerating doomsday for everyone. Regardless of the outcome of this being a saved world or not, he'll probably still be the villain for it. "For the greater good" and all may apply but it's still basically forcing everyone to undoom the world. That said, it's not like he CAUSED the world's destruction; it was going to end anyway, all he did was make people aware and is trying to force his solution to it onto the world.

I think my bigger concern here is that since Mikawa is gone, will there be a new "Mikawa"? I mean, as far as the Testament Union is concerned, they'll still need a new Motonobou/Tokugawa and the Four Kings for the purpose of history. I guess Musashi will be given that dubious honor, if only for it being the only other "Far East" locale ever mentioned.

lazybones18 said:
My first full day at Youmacon was a long one. Was in registration line for about two hours; checked out a classic video game music panel; saw some anime music videos; got two personal items signed by Vic M. with a picture taken with him (post that later); checked out possible titles worth picking up; was part of a SSBM tourney where I got my ass kicked in the first round; got lots of Streetpass tags on my 3DS; checked out a panel featuring a group that does DBZ: Abridged or whatever the hell it's called

Also saw some hentai music videos. And I did find it peculiar that the dealer's area was selling a bunch of hentai titles.

Anyway, only two shows caught my eye since they were on Blu-Ray: Black Blood Brothers and Burst Angel. Are either of them worth checking out? I'll be sure to pay attention to the DVD section when I go back later today.
And should I even bother picking up a hentai title?

Well, time for bed. Only have a few hours of sleep before I go back to the convention

Black Blood Brothers is alright. Didn't finish it though. Don't know anything about Burst Angel.

darkside31337 said:

Each part is mostly self-contained, so you can just read the ones you like and skip the others ones if you want. No part is longer than 150 chapters or so IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom