• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maken-Ki 5 - In this episode, the MC and one of the other girls from the committee are trying to find someone who's been attacking students randomly, not in duels. Meanwhile, his childhood friend/haremite Haruka is mad at the MC because the tsun girl kissed him last episode, so (while of course denying to herself that she likes him) she does things like make him a lunch of food he hates and then take it away when he complains, act annoyed to him, tell him she's not his sister (because as childhood friends they call eachother siblings often), etc. Oh, and the other girl, the one that the MC is with this episode, dislikes him, but likes his Haruka.

Anyway, they get attacked by the girl responsible for the attacks, and the MC is unable to do anything, while the other girl tries to fight, but wasn't doing well. To the rescue, with some help from the girl with the "comic star" power, Haruka (his childhood friend) shows up just in time. Apparently she has the strongest Maken at the school, and does indeed have a lot of power... I assume that the MC's power is greater, though, when he can use it, because of his gender and the series' sexism. Or at least, I'm sure it will eventually be greater.

But yeah, she easily defeats the culprit. The end, pretty much. So yeah, this episode was terrible as usual, and the MC was as always horribly annoying.

cosmicblizzard said:
Maburaho was great. Fuck the haters!
The Maburaho anime was amusing, but it had no ending at all, and was based off of an ongoing light novel series too, so there's a LOT more material there than got into the anime...

Dresden said:
I'm fond of Mandoka.

B6mLvl.png
There's a male Madoka too? ... I guess male Haruhi worked alright, so why not Madoka too... they're not actually better than the female versions though I think. Though the idea of it being Homura with a reverse harem sounds amusing... :p

iavi

trejo said:
Otoo-san is an asshole too for not
adopting
Yamada.

Lol, I prefer to call that smart. Who wants a needy good for nothing moeblob as a daughter anyway.
Inami > Yamada

scy

Geneijin said:
Nah, I think it's purely loyalty. Tadakatsu literally has no reason to follow Motonobu because he has no other reason with how they've built his character thus far.

Yeah I agree, sorry if that was worded weirdly, heh.
A shame Tadakatsu is gone though, but at least the daughter doesn't seem so bad.

Unless he comes back alive somehow, really, I shouldn't have called him a villain. Your question was more along the lines of whether his intentions were good or evil I think, and I have to say they were infinitely more evil than any morsel of good because he wants the world to destroy itself to save itself essentially. His actions in the show will be seen as evil more than good also I believe.

Yeah, I think its a better discussion on good/bad intent rather than good guy/bad guy. I agree with your assessment on it. No amount of good that comes from it will overlook the fact it was a pretty overall evil action.

You're missing what was stated and implied. Everyone already knows the world is coming to an end even before his speech unless we're shown otherwise in future episodes. It's a question of whether defying fate or not is "right" when everyone has been following fate accordingly. Although ignoring that ethics discussion, I still say Motonobu's actions were evil because in order for humanity to prevent the apocalypse, they must gather the 9 Deadly Sins, which he only reveals after forcing the world into war in a power struggle over who gets to reign over the world after the apocalypse is remedied. It will become a classic case of human greed, ambition, etc.

I had assumed the end of History wasn't known to the average person but you may be right; I don't think it has been stated one way or the other for them or I've just forgotten it being mentioned. Still, his actions are sparking a world war essentially so, yeah, clearly evil action. Ends do not justify the means sort of thing.

They have no need for a new Motonobu as Horizon by default has become the successor. And they don't need a new Mikawa because part of the plan of blowing up Mikawa was to elevate Musashi's rank.

Horizon is who I figure for the Motonobu "replacement", though its a little iffy with her proposed execution. And I agree that Musashi will be the "replacement", but I'm just wondering more as a "will they need to?" kind of thing. I'm assuming yes so far since nothing really seems to indicate otherwise yet.

Perhaps the better question is more about how much will "history reenactment" matter still.

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:
Not that I ever cared about Saimoe in the first place, but I definitely stopped caring when I realized Homura didn't make it out of four PMMM characters in the final four. C'mon Japan, what's that all about.

You can't pretend to be tsun when your PMs are so dere.
Homura lost in the first round to an Index character.

Articalys

A better question is, why is it that Zelda and Final Fantasy always seem to automatically win any GameFAQs contest. With the exception of that concentrated Tetris trolling effort a few years back.

Branduil said:
Homura lost in the first round to a cheating Index character.
ftfy

Bakuman 2 ep 6
tumblr_lu7umvuVxW1qbxqfpo3_500.png

Aw poor Saiko but I enjoyed the episode, pretty emotional. Yuujiro is kind of underrated. I like how Eiji keeps getting screen time, I hope we get an Eiji orientated episode or even a subplot with him for that matter.

survivor

Banned
The Tatami Galaxy 1-11

Oh wow. This is such a good anime. The last 3 episodes just blew me away by how excellent they were. I really regret not watching this when it first aired.

cajunator

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
Not that I ever cared about Saimoe in the first place, but I definitely stopped caring when I realized Homura didn't make it out of four PMMM characters in the final four. C'mon Japan, what's that all about.

You can't pretend to be tsun when your PMs are so dere.
I was wondering the same. I call shenanigans.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
the weird thing is isn't Homura the most popular character? I'm pretty sure she was the most popular character in the show, followed by Madoka, then mami, with sayaka and kyouko way behind.

NewFresh

Articalys said:
It's a shame there's no objective way to measure popularity.
Wait, did I say "shame"? I meant "incredibly fortunate blessing".
(Size of breasts) x (# of Magical Girls) + (Amount of head tilt) = Popular

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Detective Conan 01-07 (rewatch): It's pretty amazing how much has changed in this show over the last 15 years. The art style looks very rough, but the music is much better (I know they still occasionally reuse themes, but not nearly as much as I'd like. Old Conan music is vastly superior to new Conan music). All and all, the older episode have more charm in my opinion, and a lot of that is in the music. It gave it a much more "fun" feeling.

The Ran x Shinichi/Conan relationship was also at it's absolute cutest in these early episodes. I remember the first time I watched episode 07, as Ran came THIS close to outing Conan as Shinichi, only to be fooled by the Professor using the voice-changing bow tie. I still get all moe'ed up watching episode 07 to this day. Squeeeeeeee.

I still have a cel painting I bought of Detective Conan around here somewhere, I should look for it.

EDIT: Found it! ^_^

DC_cel.jpg

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
hosannainexcelsis said:
Gintama 101

That's why you don't buy a cursed blade, especially without listening to the old man selling it to you.

that reminds me...I need to spot my elizabeth-san avie

scy

RurouniZel said:
The Ran x Shinichi/Conan relationship was also at it's absolute cutest in these early episodes.

I'm oh-so-torn on Detective Conan. I still love the mysteries and trying to solve them but, at the same time, I so want a resolution just because how much I love the Ran x Shinichi relationship and want to see it bear fruit.

I also need to find the time to just re-watch all of Detective Conan :|

RurouniZel

scy said:
I'm oh-so-torn on Detective Conan. I still love the mysteries and trying to solve them but, at the same time, I so want a resolution just because how much I love the Ran x Shinichi relationship and want to see it bear fruit.

I also need to find the time to just re-watch all of Detective Conan :|

True enough, same reason I'd like it to end. I want Conan to turn back into Shinichi and fucking marry Ran already. It only took 621 TV episodes for Shinichi to finally fucking tell Ran he likes her! I mean, goddamn son!

Ezalc

RurouniZel said:
Detective Conan 01-07 (rewatch) *words*

Man I remember watching this. I saw the dub though, which I prefer immensely to the original voices. It just bothered me that the cases almost always dealt with murders and not other types of crimes. I mean it's not like they can show rape but you know, still wish there was some variety.

RurouniZel

Ezalc said:
Man I remember watching this. I saw the dub though, which I prefer immensely to the original voices. It just bothered me that the cases almost always dealt with murders and not other types of crimes. I mean it's not like they can show rape but you know, still wish there was some variety.

Probably because murders are the easiest to write elaborate traps for. I do remember a few random ones that dealt with kidnapping, episode 03 is a suicide, some deal with money deals, etc. But yeah, by and large it's murder. Whereever Conan and Kogoro go, steer clear! You're likely to get murdered!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Put Penguindrum on the shelf for a while - not motivated to see it through at this point, maybe later... Need a show to watch...

Working
Steins;Gate
Ben-To
Guilty Crown

Don't care as long as it's entertaining.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Extollere said:
Put Penguindrum on the shelf for a while - not motivated to see it through at this point, maybe later... Need a show to watch...

Working
Steins;Gate
Ben-To
Guilty Crown

Don't care as long as it's entertaining.

Ben-to.

Dresden said:
You guys aren't selling it to him right.

Lesbian rape, incest, and an upcoming loli.
But those are the bad things about the show, not the good things.

It is worth a try, but for the ridiculousness of the concept and action, not that stuff.

Boku Tomo 2- Awesome episode and had a blast especially the MH parody. ^_^
Boku Tomo 3- Decent episode, oh hey there forgotten childhood friend... wait what?
Boku Tomo 4- Rika saved this ep. from the evil clutches of Yozora. mecha pr0n eh... =o and they just crammed 3 new characters in a single episode.
Boku Tomo 5- This is game is unbalanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom