• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

zeroshiki said:
You don't think the art looks similar? Toriyama's art is really far away from either of these guys.

Nah there are definitely similarities to One Piece. Probably more so in the earlier chapters which I don't remember much of anymore. Right now I think they're different enough though. I was just making a joke because I'm pretty sure Oda's style was inspired by Dragonball slightly.

More Madoka? bisonyes.gif

Reknoc said:
One of the OPs shows one of the villains of the arc being part of the crew way before it's even hinted at that she's not evil.

Yea that was crazy. A friend of mine who read the manga as well was wondering what the hell they were thinking.

zeroshiki said:
Its not really unfair to be honest. I like Fairy Tail quite a bit but just looking at the character designs and even the damn covers to the tanks, you can see where Mashima got his "inspiration".

First time i read Fairy Tail i thought it was Luffy with a fucking scarf and Ace's fire power.

Reknoc said:
Nah there are definitely similarities to One Piece. Probably more so in the earlier chapters which I don't remember much of anymore. Right now I think they're different enough though. I was just making a joke because I'm pretty sure Oda's style was inspired by Dragonball slightly.

He was inspired by Toriyama overall so its more likely not just the art alone.

Steroyd

Unknown Soldier said:
Mirai Nikki 3-5:

The bloodletting is quite glorious, and they have been able to the keep the censorship to a minimum by clever use of camera angles and cutaways which allows us to revel in our bloodthirst without running afoul that stupid law in Japan that was passed recently.

I find it quite sad that I have to appreciate this type of censorship in an anime when it happens.

Articalys

Speaking of Rebuild, it's been a little under five months since I watched the series and Disappearance got me into a bit of a movie watching mood, so...

Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone

Whatever you think about the Eva franchise aside, this must have been one hell of a movie to watch in theaters. Probably used a good chunk of the budget on Ramiel as well. Noticed a handful of the minor divergences from the original show and definitely all the major ones. Finally,
I freely admit that watching Penguindrum for the last few months means the first connection I made when Kaworu started speaking at the end was Tabuki's voice. Curse you, Akira Ishida

All general praises and criticisms from this part of the original series are still valid here, though trimming down the first six episodes to about 2/3 of their former length does help things flow a bit better.

I'll probably watch 2.0 sometime later this week. Looking forward to it, and then the subsequent (and hopefully only a) year-long wait for 3.0.

Steroyd said:
I find it quite sad that I have to appreciate this type of censorship in an anime when it happens.

Apparently some stuff was just plain cut, and will be restored on the BDs/DVDs in addition to uncensoring of the mildly censored stuff like
the dart going into Minene's eye, and Yuno casually axing a corpse on the ground, and also Yuno's awesome room full of rotting corpses was really hilariously dark for no reason

This however doesn't need to be altered in any way, because it's just about perfect.
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo289/Un-known_Soldier/yuno.jpg
"Oyasumi, Yukki." :3

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Articalys said:
Whatever you think about the Eva franchise aside, this must have been one hell of a movie to watch in theaters.
It was.

I found a lot of this movie to be boring. The material just doesn't work half as well if you lazily copy and paste it over to the film format while dramatically abridging it (who knew?), but oh man, that Ramiel battle. The Operation Yashima stretch being the most re-imagined part of the movie made it the most successful.

Majikoi 6 - That was something truly special... an anime episode unlike any other I can think of, bizarrely enough. Because yeah, as is said in the quote below, this concept -- the cast going to, and participating in, a penis festival -- is something that seems like it'd be so obvious for some anime to do, but... they never have, as far as I know. Too shy to show Japan's pre-Westernized culture, as the MC has complained about several times in this series, I guess? :)

Whatever the case, it was a great idea for an episode, and the episode was probably the funniest one of the show so far, too. It was so shameless, and yet that was also exactly why it worked so well... from Momoyo teaching the other four girls how to properly eat a penis-shaped candy (
the finishing touch at the end, which took out the whole excited crowd, was good stuff... and it was just as funny the second time, with the rich girl, too.
), to the battle with the idols, it was a pretty entertaining episode. And the more serious part of the episode, the conversation between the MC and the old guy, was good too; sure, the guy's kind of a jerk, but it was an interesting conversation and he had some decent points too.

So yeah... best episode yet, maybe? I'm not sure, but it could be, for the kind of show this is I mean.

RurouniZel said:
Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!! 06: I've seen several animes with festivals, but this the first I've seen that is inspired by the wang festival I've seen pictures of. I'm surprised more ecchi/hentai animes don't use this as a plot device, to be honest.
Yeah, indeed, after seeing this episode, I wonder the same thing.

Basileus777 said:
Maji de Watashi 6

I don't really know why I'm still watching this, but the absurdity of penis battles and a Wakamoto beatdown somehow managed to be entertaining.
Because of episodes like this one, that's why you're watching it.

firehawk12 said:
For the first picture, I saw the end result (of what happened after he turned on the video) coming almost before the scene even started, but that didn't make it any less funny. Yeah, they keep repeating that joke over and over, but... it's still funny, so that's okay. :)

For the second... yeah, funny scene indeed. Though as I said above, scenes like that -- that blatant about it, not hiding it behind some stupid "it kind of looks like it but isn't" gimmick -- happen quite rarely in anime, actually, as I said above.

scy said:
I'm reminded I'm supposed to watch MajiKoi. Hrm...
Yeah, you should.

Unknown Soldier said:
This show is really awesome. It gives me so many awesome vibes of what Higurashi was like, though it goes more for an action aspect as opposed to Higurashi which had more of a horror/suspense aspect. The bloodletting is quite glorious, and they have been able to the keep the censorship to a minimum by clever use of camera angles and cutaways which allows us to revel in our bloodthirst without running afoul that stupid law in Japan that was passed recently. Well, okay, I'm speaking for myself here, I don't know if you guys revel in your bloodthirst. But you should try it sometime, it's quite enjoyable. :3<3

What new censorship law?

Also I jumped ahead in the manga, and shiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. This series just keeps on giving. Watching it animated is going to be glorious. Fucking glorious.

Unknown Soldier said:
Mirai Nikki 3-5:

Finally caught up on this.

Yuno is seriously hot when she's killing. Seriously. This is probably the finest example of murder moe ever created.

This show is really awesome. It gives me so many awesome vibes of what Higurashi was like, though it goes more for an action aspect as opposed to Higurashi which had more of a horror/suspense aspect. The bloodletting is quite glorious, and they have been able to the keep the censorship to a minimum by clever use of camera angles and cutaways which allows us to revel in our bloodthirst without running afoul that stupid law in Japan that was passed recently. Well, okay, I'm speaking for myself here, I don't know if you guys revel in your bloodthirst. But you should try it sometime, it's quite enjoyable. :3

The OP and ED piss me off a little because they really blatantly spoil the whole show. I already know most of the story because I watched the show on Wikipedia before really watching it but the blatant spoiling in the OP and ED is really just beyond the pale. Yuno would know what to do with the people who animated the OP and ED. Yes, she absolutely would. <3
One of the benefits of always skipping OPs/EDs!

Jex

Krev said:
It was.

I found a lot of this movie to be boring. The material just doesn't work half as well if you lazily copy and paste it over to the film format while dramatically abridging it (who knew?), but oh man, that Ramiel battle. The Operation Yashima stretch being the most re-imagined part of the movie made it the most successful.
That paragraph neatly sums up where the film fails and where it succeeds. Taking a TV structure, truncating it and stuffing it into a movie form? Not such a great idea? Re-imagining a scene from the ground up to be a movie set piece? Very successful.

The second film made more changes to the structure which, for better or worse, was the right decision.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Chihayafuru 05: I feel your pain, Taichi. Fuck that Arata son of a bitch.

This is the only show this season that has made me shed tears with every episode. Great stuff.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Regulus Tera said:
Chihayafuru 05: I feel your pain, Taichi. Fuck that Arata son of a bitch.

This is the only show this season that has made me shed tears with every episode. Great stuff.
Fuck Taichi!

Unknown Soldier said:
Warning: Xenoglossia spoilers -

Well, um, it's pretty obvious that Ui would be psychotic like Chihaya was. She's so hilariously yandere for her sister that it's kind of silly. Jun would be kind of tsundere towards everybody, first she starts out good but then joins the bad side but she's tsundere to everybody all the time. The core four of Yui, Mio, Mugi, and Ritsu would be good. Sawako will be the big sister just like she is in K-ON and will take Azusa's role. Azunyan would be the one who starts out appearing to be good but turns and joins Ui and Jun and betrays the others, therefore taking Yukiho's role. At the end they would all fight a million clones of Ritsu's brother and then Jun turns good again, thus taking Makoto's role. Ui and Sawako die at the end, then Yui, Mio, Mugi, Ritsu, and Jun fly their mechas into the moe event horizon thing in the asteroid belt to save the world. Yui leaves her apartment at the end and looks up at the sky and says 'Ikimasu.' The end.
And also, near the end Yui forgives Azusa, despite all the bad things she did, because they were friends.

But yeah, it's amazing how well your scenario there fits, it basically would work perfectly wouldnt it, and fits all of the characters well, and the story too.
Azusa being the traitor is like how post-graduation she's now left with Ui and Jun, yes?
Impressive, I guess. :)

Xenoglossia had more characters than that of course, but there aren't as many characters in K-On as in Xenoglossia (unless the people they meet in college in the manga post-graduation also get added in or something, which would get it closer), so nothing can be done about that.

Story-wise the only negative I can think of is that the whole
robot-human relationships
element would be less likely to be included, given the obsession of the K-On fanbase against the girls having any kind of contact with males, like, ever... so what would they be flying in, inanimate musical instrument mecha?

icarus-daedelus said:
Would Usagi Drop cheer me up after a 12 hour shift at work, o wise gaffu?

2sPSx.gif

questions?

---

Red Photon Zillion

http://youtu.be/pkcgnxKBMzs

what an opening, what an opening. It's impossible to watch a episode for me because I play the opening again and again and again.

Hunter x Hunter R 6

Not much to say. They cut out the sushi part, but it wasn't super important in the first place.

On episode 10 of the original series, so we'll probably get to the tower in 2 episodes or so. Then we'll really know to what extent stuff is being censored.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Nobody was probably ever wondering or wanted to know, but the extra episode of Onii-chan no Koto is one of the worst things I've ever had the displeasure of watching.

And then one guy started pouring grated cheese on to another guys lap to make a pizza. An offer was made to eat the melting cheese and I thought to myself, "Somehow even this isn't able to redeem such a bad episode."

Jex

Dance In My Blood said:
Nobody was probably ever wondering or wanted to know, but the extra episode of Onii-chan no Koto is one of the worst things I've ever had the displeasure of watching.

And then one guy started pouring grated cheese on to another guys lap to make a pizza. An offer was made to eat the melting cheese and I thought to myself, "Somehow even this isn't able to redeem such a bad episode."
Well, it's good to hear that someone out there is willing to take the risk and expose themselves to dangerously high-levels of bad-anime. I can only hope you were wearing protective equipment.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Jexhius said:
Well, it's good to hear that someone out there is willing to take the risk and expose themselves to dangerously high-levels of bad-anime. I can only hope you were wearing protective equipment.
Fortunately there is a new episode of Chihayafuru to cleanse my shame in.

Jex

Dance In My Blood said:
Fortunately there is a new episode of Chihayafuru to cleanse my shame in.
That's fine and all, but I can't understand why you'd want to expose yourself to that other show.

I do flirt with terrible anime and it's close brother, terribly dubbed anime (as well as it's distant cousin, terrible movies in all forms). Yet, whenever I approach that kind of content I'm at least looking for entertainment, in some twisted form. If it's bad enough to be funny that I can get behind. If it's not, then I have little interested in it.

For example, Guilty Crown just doesn't go far enough to be entertaining, which is disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom