• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezalc

Uchip said:
after Yakitate Japan I stopped caring about the subject matter as long as its a good show
I still hate economics though, and why is she a wolf? Is it just a she was cursed deal or there are other wolf people in the show or do they never explain that shit.

Uchip

Banned
Ezalc said:
I still hate economics though, and why is she a wolf? Is it just a she was cursed deal or there are other wolf people in the show or do they never explain that shit.

its one of the few (only?) shows where her appearance actually makes any sense
its also why
the church wants her dead
as she is a "pagan god"

Ezalc

Uchip said:
its one of the few (only?) shows where her appearance actually makes any sense
its also why
the church wants her dead
as she is a "pagan god"

Ah, alright. At least they try to justify it.

Jintor

Ezalc said:

She's a harvest goddess yo.

Mythology and economics, super cool yo!

Ezalc said:

From what I've seen, Spice and Wolf is enjoyable whether you have an interest in economics or not. The show uses economics as the battlefield for scheming; it's not a stealth exposition of economic theory or anything like that.

Holo is the incarnation of a centuries-old wolf spirit.

Ezalc

Uchip said:
its not really trying when they succeed on every level

I'll determine that when I decide to watch this show. Which might be after I finish that mermaid one I keep putting off.

hosannainexcelsis said:
From what I've seen, Spice and Wolf is enjoyable whether you have an interest in economics or not. The show uses economics as the battlefield for scheming; it's not a stealth exposition of economic theory or anything like that.

Holo is the incarnation of a centuries-old wolf spirit.

I think I should watch this when I'm taking economics in college. Maybe watching a man break down the specifics of a bull and bear market while comparing them to the naked body of an incarnation of a centuries old wolf spirit would make more sense to me than just hearing a teacher's lecture.

Uchip

Banned
Ezalc said:
Damn there goes that excuse to have a presentation on the comparison of boobs to inflation ratios.

actually her boobs deflated in the light novel artwork over time
there may be a correlation to the sales,
and you could actually draw a graph of boob supply/demand

Ezalc

Uchip said:

This will be the best presentation ever.

Jintor

I know this is a bit of a longshot, but does anybody have links to/know of any anime/manga/videogame/media academics?

Time to start hitting the international media databases...

Articalys

vareon said:
So, what's the new show that took Tiger & Bunny's slot?
None in the exact same station timeslot, but Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon is an hour later than when T&B was and a half-hour later than when Sacred Seven was.
It's the Sunrise hour on MBS, I guess.

Ezalc

Uchip said:

I saw a bit of episode 1. Why doesn't she have nipples.

Uchip

Banned
Jintor said:
I know this is a bit of a longshot, but does anybody have links to/know of any anime/manga/videogame/media academics?

Time to start hitting the international media databases...

I dont know what you are actually asking for

on an unrelated note, elf Moé exists
and it is a force to be reckoned with
292143vava.jpg

Ezalc said:
I saw a bit of episode 1. Why doesn't she have nipples.

sexual reproduction is a mortal folly :p

Ezalc

hosannainexcelsis said:
TV censorship.

TV censorship is usually some kind of shitty steam, or white/black bar, or some convenient thing blocking the part in question like say hair. This has none of those things happening, it just looks like she's wearing one of those skin colored spandex stuff. Which is incredibly creepy looking. Also, Lawrence looks like he's in his 40s but sounds like a 15 year old.

So the composer of Spice and Wolf, Yuji Yoshino, also did the arrangement for the excellent Suikoden II Orrizonte album, among others. That explains why I like the soundtrack.

Uchip

Banned
darkside31337 said:
There is no way she looks anything like a 15 year old.

im quoting the source material here
and it makes sense that she would appear as the most "fertile" age seeing as she is the goddess of harvest and whatnot

scy

Spice & Wolf Economics is pretty bare bones; if you understand the basics of supply and demand, you're more or less perfectly fine. It's not like it will stun you with theory. It's rather basic.

It's still an amazing anime.

Superjail++Title+Card.jpg

Just replace inmates with child soldiers.

Truly heart-wrenching, the entire series was just so brutally emotional. I don't think I've seen anything that can compare with it. Truly nightmarish and terrible antagonist.

Truly a brutal and unflinching depiction of war. Usually I can't marathon through 13 episodes, but each one really compelled me into the next. In the way one can't stop reading a fable such as "little Red Riding Hood" mid way through. In this sense, the series remained somewhat light on its feet despite being so emotionally heavy. I loved this pacing, and thought it was a refreshing change compared to many good anime nowadays, which is often good but has emotionally heavy dialogue, which makes it difficult to watch one after another.

If any of you haven't watched this series yet, I highly recommend it, 13 riveting episodes.

trejo

Hanasaku Iroha 23-26

I don't think I could've asked for a better finale. There were so many ways they could've screwed this up but thankfully they were able to hit all the right notes without either going too overboard or leaving the viewer with a sense of something lacking. Every character got a satisfying conclusion and none of it felt forced or unbelievable in any way.

Is the show perfect? Not by a long shot. It had it's fair share of ups and downs, especially during the middle episodes, where it sometimes felt rather obvious where they were padding stuff out in order to fill for time or leaving plot threads conveniently hanging in order to be brought back when needed or when we were stuck with characters who were not necessarily strong enough to carry the show by themselves. Not to mention the more often than not unnecesary fan service scenes the inclusion of which, while sadly understandable, was still unwanted and unneeded.

Still, there's no denying that when the show worked, it worked. When all the pieces managed to fall into place HanaIro was able to deliver a thoroughly enjoyable story with charming characters who, archetypes as they may be, were still delightful to see unfold and interact with each other.

All in all, I enjoyed the time I spent watching this show, warts and all.

flawfuls

The Curse of Kazuo Umezu

Good times. They didn't really capture the full intensity of Umezu's madness that is present in his manga, but they did alright. The animation was looked really cheap at times and they could have done a lot better job with the sound in general, but they got the important parts down.

Vu5Pj.png

ZyZBy.png

C2mpV.png

The ending to the second story was amazing. I didn't make any sense, but I'm pretty sure Umezu doesn't give a shit.

flawfuls said:
The Curse of Kazuo Umezu

Good times. They didn't really capture the full intensity of Umezu's madness that is present in his manga, but they did alright. The animation was looked really cheap at times and they could have done a lot better job with the sound in general, but they got the important parts down.

Vu5Pj.png

ZyZBy.png

C2mpV.png

The ending to the second story was amazing. I didn't make any sense, but I'm pretty sure Umezu doesn't give a shit.

This is the guy that did Fourteen right?

mAcOdIn

Lain said:
So, with HanaIro done, can we fairly say that Team HanaIro obliterated team AnoHana?
Never! We were going by sales right? Right?
e_i said:
Just finished Last Exile. The ending is confusing though
Where did the characters end up at the end? I though Muskateer-san died, but there he was with his Disith girl. And who were those random children with the characters at the end? Did Alister and Tatiana have science babies?
I wonder when the new series takes place. Before or after the first series? Spoiler for Last Exile:
I've heard Dio shows up in the new series? Ummm...he died in the first series, in quite a tragic way.
Lol, Laste Exile questions, basically, don't bother, the ending is shit, no one knows what happened.
How did Dio live from falling at that height despite him being in the ending, did that ship bring them to a nice part of the planet or a new planet, either way after it worked the two kids were back to deliver the treaty their parents were unable to deliver so if it brought them to a whole new planet the ship must be operational and a two way taxi, or the ending is just garbage, fucking garbage.
Don't bother worrying too much about the ending, maybe they'll clear it up in season two, or not, it is Gonzo after all.
hosannainexcelsis said:
Spice and Wolf 1-4

There's a fair number of light novel adaptations out there featuring an ordinary guy and an extraordinary girl who team up for some reason or another, and I do believe this one is at the top of the heap. Both our protagonists are intelligent adults who have good reason to care about and respect each other. Holo especially is an interesting, multi-faceted character - cunning, vulnerable, playful, thoughtful, and with an awe-inspiring primal wolf always lurking just beneath the surface.

In other words, new waifu get!
I love Holo, should we set up a waifu fight?

Anyways, I want to bitch about some crap I bought. I already bitched about RahXephon, but rest assured several more episodes in I still don't feel any better about the show.

Also, there's El Hazard: The Wanderers, I know, a retelling of the ova, I read from a couple of places that this was ok but this is just so fucking stupid I can't imagine what those people were thinking. I need to reevaluate my fondness of humans transported to an alien fantasy world because for some reason I love the setup but can not think of a single time it's been done right.

Edit: Oh, also I have so little faith in this upcoming season that I hereby declare that only Squid Girl and Working!'s second seasons will be watchable, not saying they'll be great just the only things worth watching.

zeroshiki

Wait, you were talking about the series?

Umm.. yeah, bad move. Even as a kid, I enjoyed the OVAs but thought the series was boring.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
mAcOdIn said:
Also, there's El Hazard: The Wanderers, I know, a retelling of the ova, I read from a couple of places that this was ok but this is just so fucking stupid I can't imagine what those people were thinking. I need to reevaluate my fondness of humans transported to an alien fantasy world because for some reason I love the setup but can not think of a single time it's been done right.
Why do you keep buying the wrong versions of stories?

mAcOdIn

zeroshiki said:
Wait, you were talking about the series?

Umm.. yeah, bad move. Even as a kid, I enjoyed the OVAs but thought the series was boring.
Hitokage said:
Why do you keep buying the wrong versions of stories?
I can't imagine the ovas actually being any better in all honesty, is that just nostalgia or something? Because if these are the characters and they're more or less doing the same shit I don't think the ova can really be all that great either.

zeroshiki

It could very well be nostalgia since I haven't seen El Hazard in, hmm, 10 years now but I always felt like the series took too long and changed some stupid stuff gratuitously. The OVA is more compact and fast forwards through ALOT of stuff. Despite it being short, it showed the separation and distance between MC and Ifurita better with everything culminating in the first/last scene.

If you have a problem with the characters as they are, though, I'm not sure watching the short version will help any.

mAcOdIn

zeroshiki said:
It could very well be nostalgia since I haven't seen El Hazard in, hmm, 10 years now but I always felt like the series took too long and changed some stupid stuff gratuitously. The OVA is more compact and fast forwards through ALOT of stuff. Despite it being short, it showed the separation and distance between MC and Ifurita better with everything culminating in the first/last scene.

If you have a problem with the characters as they are, though, I'm not sure watching the short version will help any.
Yeah, I kinda hate the characters, like why should I even feel for the MC and Ifurita, they met for like 30 seconds and she was off, condensing that isn't going to make it more powerful just less so. That said, this Nanami seems better than the one in Utena. Just sayin'.

Spice and Wolf 6

Lawrence has awesome comebacks. Holo has an awesome wolf form. Together they fight - er, make business deals.

mAcOdIn said:
I love Holo, should we set up a waifu fight?

I've got the avatar to prove my devotion! What do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom