• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Instro said:
*Checks bingo card*

Your bingo card is dead. Lets make a new one.

Jexhius said:
It wasn't too fast yesterday, I guess fanwars speeds things up a bit.

You missed the shenanigans that is the status of my avatar. I wonder if you'll subconsciously like my posts better now because of it. There were no fanwars today.

Jex

Lain said:
If you want nipples, grab the manga. I bought the first two volumes early this month and got plenty of nipples in them.

We still get reruns once in a while here. The last one was just this winter/spring.
Really? Damn, that show has legs!
Lance Bone Path said:
I checked my shelf and noticed that I already own it. It's too bad that the main menu doesn't loop because it's hilarious.
They were trying to beat the Nadia DVD menu.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
From what I've seen, Spice and Wolf is enjoyable whether you have an interest in economics or not. The show uses economics as the battlefield for scheming; it's not a stealth exposition of economic theory or anything like that.
Sadly it isn't :(

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I can't wait till the topic comes to a standstill when everybody comes to the realization that Fate/zero is head and shoulders the best show of the fall season. Or maybe everyone will get on board.

It'll probably just be like Steins;Gate where 3 people are watching it and then everybody decides to watch it months later :(

mAcOdIn

darkside31337 said:
I can't wait till the topic comes to a standstill when everybody comes to the realization that Fate/zero is head and shoulders the best show of the fall season. Or maybe everyone will get on board.
My bet is on Squid Girl, lol.
Instro said:
We are already 100 moves ahead of him.
We? lol. I keep my friends close and my enemies closer.
Unknown Soldier said:
You keep telling yourself that. You actually think that you've been fighting the real me?
I can tell who's who by the smell of the shampoo and having smelled shampoo before.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
Spice and Wolf 6

Lawrence has awesome comebacks. Holo has an awesome wolf form. Together they fight - er, make business deals.
I'd sure like to see a Spice and Wolf sequel with non-lazy directing and actually good art and animation.

But that's crazy talk, I know.

mAcOdIn

Jexhius said:
I'd sure like to see a Spice and Wolf sequel with non-lazy directing and actually good art an animation.

And I'd like a Jexhius post with proper spelling! How's it feel to want?

Spice and Wolf was perfect, for you to come from the series with that mindset shows you have no soul.

Jex

zeroshiki said:
When the person who famously started the Animegaf teams in the first place and got a tag for Anohana has replied and taken the other side, you know Anohana is dead.
But her spirit haunts us all.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
mAcOdIn said:
And I'd like a Jexhius post with proper spelling! How's it feel to want?

Spice and Wolf was perfect, for you to come from the series with that mindset shows you have no soul.

You know I hate to agree with Jexhius but he's actually right.

Still liked the show though.

Jex

mAcOdIn said:
The mindset where I'd like animation to move and not be filled with ugly flat backgrounds?
I'd say that's pretty normal.

Especially when you're not animating, like, complicated action sequences or mechanical scenes or combat. When people talking is your whole show there's no excuse not to have better character animation.

mAcOdIn

Jexhius said:
The mindset where I'd like animation to move and not be filled with ugly flat backgrounds?
Anything important moves, look at the eyes, they're almost always animated. The backdrops are a stylized methods of showcasing that everything around Holo and Lawrence is meaningless, it's not that they're lazy, it's that to spend time on something not Holo or Lawrence would be disrespectful and wasteful. Be thankful you even got backgrounds and shit.
darkside31337 said:
You know I hate to agree with Jexhius but he's actually right.

Still liked the show though.
Don't try and half both! Pick a side, the show was either perfect or total shit, you choose.
darkside31337 said:
This season is already dead. Also seems like a terrible gamble :(
Always bet on squid.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
mAcOdIn said:
Don't try and half both! Pick a side, the show was either perfect or total shit, you choose.

:(

I'm not allowed to point out the show's obvious faults and yet still say I enjoyed it overall?

Fine then, Spice and Wolf was garbage.

mAcOdIn

darkside31337 said:

I'm not allowed to point out the show's obvious faults and yet still say I enjoyed it overall?

There were no obvious faults, did you watch the same show I did?
Jexhius said:
That sounds like a pretty normal internet position.
Does it? Everyone here's lost their warrior spirit. We should be fighting over everything/

Articalys

Jexhius said:
I'd sure like to see a Spice and Wolf sequel with non-lazy directing and actually good art and animation.

Could you give some examples of what you mean by "lazy directing" (not necessarily in Spice and Wolf) and some recent shows that avoided it? Just so I'm clear on your argument.

mAcOdIn said:
My bet is on Squid Girl, lol.

The most promising new show this season is Chihayafuru.

Jexhius said:

The direction and art seems fine to me. I'll agree that the animation is rather lacking though.

El Sloth

Banned
Fist of The North Star - 14

6171124656_f5934fa6ef.jpg

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
darkside31337 said:

I will break into your house while you are sleeping, drug you, tie you up, hang you by the ceiling, and I will box with you as my personal sandbag. My gloves with have knives attached to them just so you know.

scy

darkside31337 said:
Saddest thing is Umineko VN arguably looks better than the anime. DEEN never fails
to not fail.

Man, I dunno if I could go that far. Parts of the Anime didn't look that bad. The VN/SN designs take some getting used to :/ They're not pretty by any stretch of the imagination.

Jexhius said:

Especially when you're not animating, like, complicated action sequences or mechanical scenes or combat. When people talking is your whole show there's no excuse not to have better character animation.

I love Spice & Wolf to death but ... yeah, sort of. There's a lot of rather lazy moments to it. But, it never really distracted me from enjoying it as a whole. I don't think I once saw anything during my initial viewings that was honestly that big of a deal to me.

Though now I know when I rewatch it, I won't be able to unsee any of it so I'll preemptively say damn you.

mAcOdIn

darkside31337 said:
It's not my fault. I was forced to cross that bridge.
Bah, now you're waffling. I can't force you to do anything. Take responsibility for your actions!
hosannainexcelsis said:
The most promising new show this season is Chihayafuru.
I have no idea what that is.
trejo said:
You were given a choice and you chose poorly.
Damnit, now that old knight is stuck in my head, I can't unsee him.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
InfiniteNine said:
I will break into your house while you are sleeping, drug you, tie you up, hang you by the ceiling, and I will box with you as my personal sandbag. My gloves with have knives attached to them just so you know.

I changed my mind. Spice and Wolf was awesome. I don't hate this show at all. Why are my words being taken out of context :(

I will say that one thing I really liked in Spice and Wolf was the color palette. I don't really totally agree with the ugly flat backgrounds. The show, especially in S1, did a good job transitioning from scenes by the change in backdrop colors, with the happier scenes being more vibrant and rich in color and the not-so-happy scenes being intentionally flat and dull in tone. It's a hokey technique but I thought it was generally done well in this show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom