• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewFresh

Blader5489 said:
afaik, a Japanese release hasn't even been announced yet, even though Funi said they'd be releasing the bluray in the US next spring.
I think it's also getting a theatrical release (Probably limited) before the blu-ray comes out.

faridmon

Blader5489 said:
afaik, a Japanese release hasn't even been announced yet, even though Funi said they'd be releasing the bluray in the US next spring.
I live in Europe, so I don't know when MANGA is going to release it. They are quite good lately so probably close to the NA date.

Doesn't Funi delay a lot? We just got Redline (NO money :() and you lot are getting it next year.
EmmanuelMunoz said:
I think it's also getting a theatrical release (Probably limited) before the blu-ray comes out.
Did Conqueror of Shamballa get a theatrical release?

duckroll

Blader5489 said:

It's coming out on blu-ray in Japan in Feb 2012. They already announced the date and price of all the versions.

NewFresh

51xyWC0HUsL._SY200_.jpg

:cajun

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Oh don't get me wrong. I've swallowed my fair share of cliched to death shoujo and Kimi ni Todoke is indeed a breath of fresh air. I just don't think its that much of one considering it fell into shoujo extension tricks. It just went about them in a different way.
Gotta sell them funny books. But it could have been worse anyway.

Solune said:
Everyone needs some slowjo. In fact I finished Saiunkoku Monogatari today. It was quite satisfying.
Did you watch both series or just the first one?

-------

Gintama 234:

It's funny, because when I heard the sad piano theme, I laughed because it was the start of the Gintama episode "rhythm". And of course, they basically used every single major musical theme within the episode... because that's just how an episode is written.

M8Hpql.jpg

But that said, even though these major arcs almost always occur and end the same way, it's still amazing how much pure badassery they are able to put into an episode. The manga dude really tapped into the Asian heroic bloodshed zeitgeist and the anime producers haven't really lost a beat.

I do wonder when Gintama will seriously parody itself though. But I wonder if they think the "serious arcs" are sacred cows that can't be slaughtered at any costs (barring slow sales, I suppose. :p). Either way, that seems to be the one place that they haven't gone yet.

DiGiKerot

faridmon said:
Doesn't Funi delay a lot? We just got Redline (NO money :() and you lot are getting it next year.

The US release of Redline is via Anchor Bay/Manga as well, rather than Funi. The reason for the delay really isn't particularly clear - it's probably because the US and Japan are the same BD region now and Japan was worried that they'd cannibalise their HUGH home sales if a cheaper US release hit first.

Jex

PdotMichael said:
Patlabor OVA - fin (bonus episode)

http://i.imgur.com/RdvJA.jpg

I love this show, there are not many action sequences, just one short real Labor vs. Labor fight, but the story, a big group of unique characters, humor and some of the greatest animations for a OVA production make it to an great anime. I had a lot of fun with it.
Damn, that really looks sweet. I need that Blu-Ray.
icarus-daedelus said:
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito
[...]. Oh, now we're in an all-girls school. Of course it is an all-girls school; we can't have men here unless they are villainous. Like literally cockblocking that poor boy on the train, who is only trying to chat up your sister. Overprotective much? Long gazes by the poolside. Glances at an exposed back. Boy, this isn't getting awkward or anything. WE'RE NOT RELATED BY BLOOD, ANYWAY![...] How far will these uncreative metaphors be taken? Must it not be because they are lesbians, or sisters? Will the world ever know? Will the pain ever stop?
::suicide::
Hopefully this will be a lesson to everyone. Never again will a wandering traveller underestimate how monumentally terrible Yami and that Big Ol' Hat is.

-Minsc-

Gintama 234

According to what I just read elsewhere,
Elizabeth in this episode was voiced by Tohru Furuya aka Amuro Ray. Not only that, in the original broadcast version they used actual Gundam music. Props to Sunrise.

Jex

zeroshiki said:
Oh don't get me wrong. I've swallowed my fair share of cliched to death shoujo and Kimi ni Todoke is indeed a breath of fresh air. I just don't think its that much of one considering it fell into shoujo extension tricks. It just went about them in a different way.
If I don't see Oniisama E... levels of melodrama and slapping or Paradise Kiss level believable human beings I can't say that I'm interested.

Steroyd

Gintama - 234

It's all done by Sunrise, it's all cool.

Mirai Nikki - 06

Good thing Yukki's mum is so understanding otherwise Yuno would have had to use "tools"... other than that a rather calm episode by it's own standards.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Jexhius said:
If I don't see Oniisama E... levels of melodrama and slapping or Paradise Kiss level believable human beings I can't say that I'm interested.

I could never put my finger on why I miss NANA so much. This is pretty much the reason, a shoujo managing to somehow put in both together (which is kind of impossible!) and making super awesomeness happen.

I'll never get that new season and the manga will never end its hiatus :(

Steroyd said:
Mirai Nikki - 06

Good thing Yukki's mum is so understanding otherwise Yuno would have had to use "tools"... other than that a rather calm episode by it's own standards.

Yeah I felt it was a rather boring episode. But next episode should be good.

C3 7

That is some weird bounce animation. It's like right out of some fanmade hentai.

Saverenti better be cool because following bitch girl is pretty tough.

Go_Ly_Dow

Steroyd said:
Mirai Nikki - 06

I enjoyed the change in tone.

Looking forward to
psychopathic stalker vs psychopathic revenge child
next episode. Hopefully the skirmish takes place at home.

Geneijin

icarus-daedelus said:
Someone writes a shoujo (josei?) manga with believable, well-written characters who aren't as dumb as a box of rocks and fate strikes her down for it. (Two, actually.) She should've seen it coming, really.

The main concern is Ai Yazawa's personal health and all but I would like more of NANA (especially the excellent animu) as well.
Nana is josei.

iavi

Gintama 232

It's kind of interesting. This series humour has blatantly become more sexual in recent times. All of these recent eps playing into that same vein. I'm perfectly cool with it since I find the slutty magic hilarious, but I have to wonder if it's because Sorachi has to explore uncharted territories to keep the humour fresh, or if it's a bit of a landgrab. Recent, and even upcoming eps, have me believing it to actually be a bit of both.

Miri said:
Gintama 232

It's kind of interesting. This series humour has blatantly become more sexual in recent times. All of these recent eps playing into that same vein. I'm perfectly cool with it since I find the slutty magic hilarious, but I have to wonder if it's because Sorachi has to explore uncharted territories to keep the humour fresh, or if it's a bit of a landgrab. Recent, and even upcoming eps, have me believing it to actually be a bit of both.
More sexual than the Tower of Babel?

Gintama's always had a very dirty side to it - perhaps not so much at the very beginning, but I've certainly noticed it a lot in the second and third seasons. If the current season gets even worse in that regard (or better, depending on your point of view), oh boy.

Ezalc

icarus-daedelus said:
I think you've gotten confused about who is stalking whom.

I've still got the better tag, btw.

Why do you keep showing up in threads I'm already in huh?! STALKER!!! I can't do anything about a tag, things like that take time and I was juniored. Who knows how long it'll be until I can get Ducky and Hito drunk enough to member me become a member again.

jman2050

Squid Girl 6

First: Damn my weakness for ponytails

Second: Sanae is totally the best character

Third: :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun

hosannainexcelsis said:

Gintama's always had a very dirty side to it - perhaps not so much at the very beginning, but I've certainly noticed it a lot in the second and third seasons. If the current season gets even worse in that regard (or better, depending on your point of view), oh boy.

It gets MUCH worse/better. 231 is now the peak and the first time I actually questioned how this could be running in modern Shounen Jump.

Ezalc

icarus-daedelus said:
Truthfully, I've been here all along, but you were too shallow to notice me until you were made aware of a certain pertinent fact about my existence. :p

I wasn't including this thread in that. I know I'm probably still one of the newer people, unless you count the times when I used to make one off posts and leave for months at a time. So listen up miss hotshot superstar tag ace dvd collection PM'ee, I'm watching you and your stalkerish ways and I just want you to know. It's on.

EDIT: And I definitely did notice you before I noticed you stalking me.

iavi

hosannainexcelsis said:

Oh, totally true. Gintama's always had it elements--sa-chan etc...etc..., but it's gotten much dirtier than previous. And not only that, all this new dirty seems to be the increasingly common focal point, whereas before it was used to accent whatever was going on.

---

To comment on the Nana talk, I just could never get into NANA, and I really enjoyed Paradise Kiss. Without the fab of George it just felt like a bunch of people fucking each other.

Miri said:
Oh, totally true. Gintama's always had it elements--sa-chan etc...etc..., but it's gotten much dirtier than previous. And not only that, all this new dirty seems to be the increasingly common focal point, whereas before it was used to accent whatever was going on.

I find this a little concerning, actually. Not that I object to dirty humor, and I've enjoyed how Gintama has handled that element up through what I've seen, but I don't want it to become a show that's just about pushing the envelope. Usually when comedies resort to that, it's a sign they've run out of creative ideas and can only think of cheap shock tactics to get laughs from the audience. That doesn't seem like it should be a concern for Gintama, but I'll see what I think when I catch up. Just as long as the characters I love are still there, that's all I ask.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ben-to 6:
I was sad to see evil ben-to organization last all of 3 episodes, but it makes sense. There's no way such a stupid plot could possibly be sustained, so rather than drag it out and have the joke lose its luster, they wrapped it up and are moving onto the next ridiculous arc. Most adaptations do not have enough self awareness to realize how trashy their source material really is, but that is not true of Ben-to.

This show is either a very deliberate experiment in making the most of what you're given, or just very lucky.

Steroyd

I stopped watching NANA because the flashback went on for too many episodes, ironically I felt burnt out on it just when the flashbacks ended. ¬_¬

Seeing that I'm watching anime with a crazy momentum of pace, I think I'll pick it back up, right after I finish Kurenai.

hosannainexcelsis said:
I find this a little concerning, actually. Not that I object to dirty humor, and I've enjoyed how Gintama has handled that element up through what I've seen, but I don't want it to become a show that's just about pushing the envelope. Usually when comedies resort to that, it's a sign they've run out of creative ideas and can only think of cheap shock tactics to get laughs from the audience. That doesn't seem like it should be a concern for Gintama, but I'll see what I think when I catch up. Just as long as the characters I love are still there, that's all I ask.

I doubt you'll be disappointed. It's still hilarious. There's just an element of shock value involved now with how far they're willing to go for a joke.

-Minsc-

hosannainexcelsis said:
Shouldn't be a problem. The anime is just clumping these types of episodes together. In the manga there was over thirty chapters between them so I really don't see it become any sort of problem or the norm. If I recall, there was a span in the first series where a lot of toilet humour was used.

-Minsc-

Gintama Manga/Anime

According to my research, at this point in time, there are only chapters worth of material yet to adapted to anime form. I'm saddened at the thought of another hiatus starting in April.

iavi

hosannainexcelsis said:

No need to be worried. It's still the Gintama that you know & love, but with the added benefit of seeing a kinda new, if not uncharacteristic, facet of the characters. That's actually what I'm finding most odd. Gintoki's gone through a subtle character change of sorts--brimming with even more machismo than usual. From his (229 spoiler)
manhandling of his love choris waifu
to his (232 spoiler)
sado switchup on slutty magic,
it's a far cry from the Gintoki of previous that would either brush advances off with a wity remark, or play dumb during such encounters. Not to say that there's some newfound DEEP characterization going on in Gintama, but I have found the change interesting, if not telling.

-Minsc- said:
Gintama Manga/Anime

According to my research, at this point in time, there are only chapters worth of material yet to adapted to anime form. I'm saddened at the thought of another hiatus starting in April.

This... this news hurts. Though, you know, I've never actually taken the time to see how well Gintama performs ratings wise. It's one of the better selling mangas last time I checked, but is that audience translating over?

7Th

icarus-daedelus said:
I know he only wrote it, but involving Otomo means everyone looks like wrinkly old people. Even psychic children.

I dunno, the main character was a pretty standard early 90's anime female:

BI2rS.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom