• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Miri said:
Lol, I only 'experience' films with the aid of substance abuse. Any other time, I'm just 'watching' and my phone works just fine. I don't have a 5.1/7.1 sound setup though. That could change things, I guess.
I think watching anything on a screen that can handle aspect ratios higher than 1.5:1 or 3.2 would have a huge effect on your viewing experience.

Miri said:
Lol, I only 'experience' films with the aid of substance abuse. Any other time, I'm just 'watching' and my phone works just fine. I don't have a 5.1/7.1 sound setup though. That could change things, I guess.

I watch anime on a 52" HDTV which is backed by a 5.1 setup, although TV anime is pretty much always 2-channel stereo only.

When I'm away from home I like to use my Touchpad to watch anime, since the screen on my laptop is pretty awful.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Miri said:
Doesn't matter. Would you watch an old mono film on a phone just because it's mono? :\

7Th

icarus-daedelus said:
Lies! I know you like Kanashimi no Belladonna! You can't hide your love from me!

I love Kanashimi no Belladona, but Madotsuki's position as the poster girl of vomit is incontestable.

Cwarrior

Steroyd said:
Peach Girl (Complete)

Blargh!

The outcome was too predictable (it was in the OP ffs), okay so maybe not the destination but the journey? Nope. Main girl ping pong'd between both guys so much I started to doubt if my shojou script #1 was right, so kudos for achieving that buuuut the love triangle was so tedious that like Suzuka, you ain't fooling me so just get to the point already.

Was much better when everyone in class hated on the main girl, thanks to super mega bitch pulling the strings behind the scenes, sadly that only lasted about 9 eps, then it devolved into shoujo gunna shoujo.

Blargh!

Only reason to read (manga) this is for Sae she's deliciously evil but once she joins the light side of the force it goes to complete blah from there.

iavi

Lafiel said:
I think watching anything on a screen that can handle aspect ratios higher than 1.5:1 or 3.2 would have a huge effect on your viewing experience.

Idk, man, I might just be an unappreciative pleb in this regard. I don't really feel as if my viewing experience is being detracted from in any way. Just to clarify though, I do watch my animu on my comp, or even my tv from time to time.

Unknown Soldier said:
I watch anime on a 52" HDTV which is backed by a 5.1 setup, although TV anime is pretty much always 2-channel stereo only.

When I'm away from home I like to use my Touchpad to watch anime, since the screen on my laptop is pretty awful.

I've been debating a tablet purchase for the longest time. Though, it does look like I'm waiting till Win8 atm. Android doesn't interest me in the tablet space, and I see no reason to grab an ipad at it's current entry price just for anime/manga. I missed out on the HP firesale :(

Aigis said:
Doesn't matter. Would you watch an old mono film on a phone just because it's mono? :\

I... Yeah, I'm not so sure that fits here.

Hitokage said:
Maybe Miri would like Utena better on a screen larger than 2 inches!

4.3"!

Instro

True vomit moe

26g5P.jpg

Miri said:
Lol, myself, I've actually prefer to watch my shows on my phone now. The screen is so much smaller than my comp or tv, but 4.3 inches is serviceable enough, and you can't beat the comfort of a bed.

Soluition: set up a computer by your bed and watch it from there. That's what I do.

Fat Zer0 7

Urobuchi needs to do a crossover with Saya no Uta where Caster summons Saya. Would be cool.

Rider looking good in his new shirt. Hoping he gets to go outside and wander around next episode.

zeroshiki

Dynedom said:
And even though parts of it are borrowed, the soundtrack is another great thing about the show. That's something I clearly forgot about before this RTTP I'm on.

edit: I'm actually not a classical music buff so apologies if all of the orchestral stuff in LoGH is borrowed. If that's the case, it's an example of great song selection then.

They're all basically public domain works. Budget OST for the win.

Gintama 121-123

Hahahaha-screwdrivers-hahahahaha-where does Sorachi come up with this stuff?

zeroshiki said:
They're all basically public domain works. Budget OST for the win.

When the greatest music ever written is in the public domain, it is indeed a win.

cosmicblizzard said:
Rider looking good in his new shirt. Hoping he gets to go outside and wander around next episode.

Yeah, I love him in that shirt. <3

Though why does he need pants? Did shorts go out of style? It isn't like they are tiny bike shorts.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Regulus Tera said:
I rarely ever watch anime on my telly anymore, and I've gone through quite a few series thanks to the Crunchyroll iOS app.
I hope you get torn apart and eaten by a school of hammer head sharks.

Cloudy said:
Anyone else watching "You and Me". I'm really enjoying it. :)
Kimi ni Todoke rules~! Sawako ~ <3

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
InfiniteNine said:
I hope you get torn apart and eaten by a school of hammer head sharks.
Buy me a high definition system with surround sound and all that mumbo jumbo if you are that committed to the high-fidelity audiovisual revolution.

Regulus Tera said:
I rarely ever watch anime on my telly anymore, and I've gone through quite a few series thanks to the Crunchyroll iOS app.
If you have an AppleTV you can airplay the Crunchyroll app onto your TV. The shows will even be in HD provided you are a premium member (And have an iOS device with an A4 or better)

Gundam AGE 6

The cliffhanger. Ignoring Emily, the cast of Age is really cool, Flit, Wolf, and Grodek. Grodek really knows how to get things done.
Though what is Woolf talking about, what in the world could be better than a Gundam?!

iavi

Hellsing321 said:
If you have an AppleTV you can airplay the Crunchyroll app onto your TV. The shows will even be in HD provided you are a premium member (And have an iOS device with an A4 or better)

That's pretty cool. I use the Crunchyroll app all of the time, but Android gets nothing like that, that I know of.

mAcOdIn

Miri said:
That's pretty cool. I use the Crunchyroll app all of the time, but Android gets nothing like that, that I know of.
Android has a Crunchyroll app, not sure if Android has something like Airplay but keep in mind Airplay is essentially the same as any other media server streamer just made by Apple.

I actually have my PC hooked up to my computer and watch Crunchyroll through XBMC, but that's not actually supported by Crunchyroll, and Crunchyroll has Android, Boxee and Roku apps along with being included in some televisions. They're pretty progressive.

Cwarrior

Black Lagoon 13-15

Serial killer cannibal vampire incest twins cross dressing genderbener split personality WAHT????????? Am so confused, too much fucked up rolled into one.

Katanagatari is a troll show which am compelled to finsih.

mAcOdIn

Defuser said:
Is crunchyroll actually doing anything to cater those who are not in the US? Or are they just making empty words?
That depends, they have more content viewable abroad than Hulu but at the same time the amount viewable abroad is so minuscule that it's hard to say they're any better. I'm going to say "mostly empty words." I say mostly because there is some stuff people in Europe can watch but that shit is basically a total afterthought after NA.

Persona 4: The Animation - 3://Being Friends with Yukiko May Be Hazardous to Your Health

Catching up with this show finally.

This is the first episode which has showed some variance from the game. Dialogue is different, for instance. What's important is they are making an effort to tell the story in a way which is different from the game, which make sense since it is an entirely different medium.

The animation seems the same as ever, bizarre use of 3D shading continues to distract from talking scenes but as usual the fight scene animations are quite good.

iavi

mAcOdIn said:
Android has a Crunchyroll app, not sure if Android has something like Airplay but keep in mind Airplay is essentially the same as any other media server streamer just made by Apple.

I actually have my PC hooked up to my computer and watch Crunchyroll through XBMC, but that's not actually supported by Crunchyroll, and Crunchyroll has Android, Boxee and Roku apps along with being included in some televisions. They're pretty progressive.

They don't have a 360 portal, however, and haven't given word to one, which sucks. That's the only set top box I own, and am ever buying, so I'm hoping it's in their plans somewhere. Especially since Microsoft seems to be grabbing every content provider they can think of with this next--fall--dashboard update.

Miri said:
They don't have a 360 portal, however, and haven't given word to one, which sucks. That's the only set top box I own, and am ever buying, so I'm hoping it's in their plans somewhere. Especially since Microsoft seems to be grabbing every content provider they can think of with this next--fall--dashboard update.
Before I got an AppleTV I used PlayOn with a user developed pulgin to watch Crunchyroll on my PS3. It was buggy though and for some reason didn't scrape every show that was available on the website.

Reknoc

Defuser said:
Is crunchyroll actually doing anything to cater those who are not in the US? Or are they just making empty words?

Their selection is pretty good in the UK. Really the only big things they're missing are their old Toei stuff.

Cwarrior

Ezalc said:
How is it a troll show?

Only seen ep1 but that Ninja be trolling.

Ninja:"Yo my ninja skills is so awesome am going to talk about just how awesome my rad nin-jutsu is for the next 5 mins"

*5 mins laters starts to fight only for a second then stops to show off his so awesome demon sword*

Ninja:yo see this demone sword am going to tell you just awesome it is for next 5mins and its back story only for me to put it away to reveal that swords aren't my style".

*after 20 mins of boasting how awesome he is and his gear is, he loses in one hit"

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Phi Brain 7

Nonoha's title is great, actually being a worthwhile character makes her consistently enjoyable. I like this mini arc of sorts.
The American POG head guy is bringing back suspense that was missing. The building ought to have collapsed faster. Puzzles were all easy though.
I cant wait for next episode.

Ezalc

Cwarrior said:
Only seen ep1 but that Ninja be trolling.

Ninja:"Yo my ninja skills is so awesome am going to talk about just how awesome my rad nin-jutsu is for the next 5 mins"

*5 mins laters starts to fight only for second then stops to show off his so awesome demon sword*

Ninja:yo see this demone sword am going to tell you just awesome it is for next 5mins and its back story only for me to put it away to reveal that swords aren't my style".

*after 20 mins of boasting how awesome he is and his gear is, he loses in one hit"

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

He was a shitty ninja, that was his point. Plus he's the first enemy it's supposed easy.

You just reminded me of something though.

Persona 4: The Animation - 4://Being flammable may be hazardous to your health

This episode contains a lot of material not seen in the game. It's likely that a lot of stuff was written for Yukiko's backstory which simply could not fit in the game's narrative, so here it is for the first time, and in animated form!

I don't know why some people complained about this show's OP, it's just about perfect for the source material and its stands on it's own as an enjoyable Shoji Meguro inspired-Engrish song. It's quite well-animated as well. We're starting to see a lot more original music now, and tracks from the game are being reused less and less as Meguro is presumably composing more tracks while the show is airing.

The show's very limited budget pretty much always shows during non-action sequences, but I'm starting to believe this is by design. The action sequences are by far the centerpiece of the show, and despite the hurr-durr nature of the editing they are very well-directed and always enjoyable to watch. They seem to be purposefully starving the non-action portions of resources, and the ugly character designs are not helping this. However this tends to pay off rather impressively when the fighting starts. The Shadow fights have all been handled very well so far, with this episode's nearly 10-minutes long Shadow fight sequence the most enjoyable so far.

You really get the feeling that the staff, the writers, the director, and Meguro himself are all kind of feeling their way along with the material, as each episode has shown marked improvement in almost every way from episodes 1 to 2 to 3 and somewhere between episodes 3 and 4 they finally got to the point where they really "get" the source material and now things are really clicking and the show is humming along nicely now. In terms of how much it's improved, no show has come further from the rather lackluster first episode to where it is this episode so far this season.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Okay, How does a company with shit stacked above their heads produce something as amazing as Gankutsuou. Better players have tried and failed miserably on most accounts, but their adaption holds up even with the liberties they took. In most cases, it just gives it their own unique flavor while bringing forth the wonder of the novel.

Persona 4: The Animation - 5://Being a girl's doormat may be hazardous to your health

The first (of more than one?) S.Links-centric episodes.

The girl fight between Chie and Ai was awesome. The basketball game subs for the action scene in this episode and it's nicely directed with scenes of the fight placed neatly between scenes of the game. It's not quite sports anime territory here, since nobody yells out their special moves or charges up for a huge attack, but it was enjoyable to watch.

There are now remixed versions of game tracks standing in where the game's ordinary music would play.

Adachi and the Dojimas get some decent screen time as well.

I guess the plan now is to open each episode with a visit to the Velvet Room, so we can all enjoy Igor's awesome JP voice work.

There's a nice little sequence after the ED you might miss if you normally skip the EDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom