• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
shintoki said:
Okay, How does a company with shit stacked above their heads produce something as amazing as Gankutsuou. Better players have tried and failed miserably on most accounts, but their adaption holds up even with the liberties they took. In most cases, it just gives it their own unique flavor while bringing forth the wonder of the novel.
A talented director.

Simple answer.

Persona 4: The Animation - 6://Spying on people may be hazardous to your health

Naoto and Kanji make their first appearances.

Kanji is
pretty blatantly and hilariously gay
in the show, marking a very distinctive departure from the game, which always purposely left things very much up to the player's interpretation. This may be the first of significant changes in the main group which comprise the main characters. Well, we hope so, it would be boring if the show followed the game exactly, and thus far all departures from the game's story in the anime have been an improvement in the storytelling over what was in the game.

Restaurant-girl is pretty awesome in this episode, showing up to deliver their beef bowls on a scooter while they are running away from Kanji. She seems to have been added to the anime primarily for our amusement so far, but who knows if they'll make her important later on. She is not the new character being added to Persona 4: The Golden, so if she turns out to be important later on she will be an anime-only character added to the story.

wonzo

Banned
Mirai Nikki 6

Ehhh this ep was fairly bland and boring. Next episode should be pretty good considering the little kid finally arrived. The MurMur extra stuff at the end is easily the most entertaining thing in this show. The OP still sucks.

jman2050

Mirai Nikki 6

Expected setup episode, all I was waiting for was the
"I didn't need to use my tools"
scene and it delivered so I'm golden.

The Murmur omakes keep getting better and better.

Patlabor OVA - 6

5Diy3.gif

Great final episode, even though it has no big Labor action sequences but the story telling and the non-cliche dialogues, it was so good.

iavi

Gintama 228

Love Choris! I completely lost in when Sougo
came to the tourny and NTR'd Kondo. The poor guy can't even keep nail a digital waifu.
I've gotta change my ava back in acknowledgment.

E: Done.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cloudy said:
Anyone else watching "You and Me". I'm really enjoying it. :)

I enjoy it, but the show seems to be heading into love polygon territory... which, well, can end up good or bad depending on how long they make people pine for each other in linear love shapes.

icarus-daedelus said:
Vampire Princess Miyu OVA 1

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12085667/spritualist.jpg

Normally we call these bullshit artists, but this is a show about vampires and demons and stuff, so I'll let that slide. Except, she totally doesn't believe in vampires and demons and stuff. LOL.

Ah, 80s OVAs and their reliable attention to hair animation, their gentle, wistful, piano-inflected elevator music!
The 4-part '80s OVA series is good, but the late '90s, ~26-ep TV series is so much better... also, the TV series is more a different version than a sequel. The OVA is worth watching anyway though, it's only four episodes and it's decently done. But don't expect it to be as good as the TV show.

Ezalc said:
So I just started watching Noir because of two songs (Canta per Me and Salva Nos) what am I in for here? I'm still in the first episode and already there's amnesia. Also if anybody can suggests more songs like the two I just mentioned that would be wonderful.
Ignore the haters, it's a great show. One of the better shows of the first half of the '00s, I would say.

And yes, expect girls with guns, hints of yuri, and lots of unhappiness and tragedy, with mostly likable assassins as the main characters. Also, no pantyshots ever, despite them almost always fighting in miniskirts. Oh, and yeah, a great soundtrack too. It's a lot like hack sign's soundtrack (it is from the same composer, of course), and both are fantastic...

Noir's my favorite of their 'girls with guns' shows for sure... I like all of them though (Noir, Madlax, El Cazador de la Bruja, and sort of also Avenger).

Jexhius said:
There really are better girls with guns shows. Oh, and plenty of of better straight-up-shows, of course.
There might be better girls with guns shows out there, but not many of them... Noir is one of the best.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
I enjoy it, but the show seems to be heading into love polygon territory... which, well, can end up good or bad depending on how long they make people pine for each other in linear love shapes.

Kimi ni Todoke was a straight flippin line and they still managed to drag it out.

Persona 4 Getting Theatrical Adaptation

Next up for Persona 4 following anime and manga conversions (and possibly before its fighting game conversion) is a stage adaptation. Atlus and Marvelous AQL announced today that they will be adapting the game for the stage.

http://andriasang.com/comyxz/

Minami Tsukui as Chie

G00hS.jpg

Risa Yoshiki as Yukiko Amagi

0FDgF.jpg

pretty hard to find a non-nude/underwear picture

iavi

Gintama 229

And it get's worse! Sougo's domination killed me, even though I should have seen it coming from a mile away, and the street fighter switch up, and his sequential showing up had me on the verge of tears. What a funny arc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Miri said:
Gintama 229

And it get's worse! Sougo's domination killed me, even though I should have seen it coming from a mile away, and the street fighter switch up, and his sequential showing up had me on the verge of tears. What a funny arc.
Old men and virgins have a lot in common.

Although, isn't Gintoki like 20 or something? :p

Articalys

Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos

Better than the average shounen anime movie, I guess, but nothing spectacular. They throw so much history at you just for the film that I lost track of the plot about halfway through and settled for enjoying the cool fight scenes. I'd still recommend it if you're a big FMA fan but probably not otherwise.

Also, it felt a bit weird hearing Romi Paku instead of Vic but I got used to it pretty fast.

zeroshiki

The obsession with youth in anime/manga is hilarious.

Kenshin was 29 in RK most likely because they didn't want him to hit 30 and become too old despite the story being set well after the Bakumatsu. This entailed alot of jigging around with character ages.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Of course it is! This is a discussion board :p
If someone actually cares, then I'll post. Otherwise, I might as well talk about how Eva TV > End of Eva and start that thing again.

cosmicblizzard said:
He's like mid-late 20s.
Still a bit too young to think about needing to fantasize about your wife in order to get it up though... I would think.

zeroshiki said:
The obsession with youth in anime/manga is hilarious.

Kenshin was 29 in RK most likely because they didn't want him to hit 30 and become too old despite the story being set well after the Bakumatsu. This entailed alot of jigging around with character ages.

Is there an anime/manga that stars a senior citizen? And no, someone that is past the age of a human's lifespan but looks like a teenager does not count.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
If someone actually cares, then I'll post. Otherwise, I might as well talk about how Eva TV > End of Eva and start that thing again.

I am genuinely curious. But I like Kimi ni Todoke and lots of forms of shoujo so I'm not the norm here.

cosmicblizzard said:
Is there an anime/manga that stars a senior citizen? And no, someone that is past the age of a human's lifespan but looks like a teenager does not count.

Howl's had the girl as an old woman for half of the movie.

Golgo is pretty old. Kochi Kame too. If we stay in the manga world there are probably a ton from seinen manga and up.

zeroshiki said:
Howl's had the girl as an old woman for half of the movie.

Golgo is pretty old. Kochi Kame too. If we stay in the manga world there are probably a ton from seinen manga and up.

I figured Golgo was like 40s. Definitely doesn't qualify for senior citizen unless he just looks fuckin good for his age. Don't know enough about Kochi Kame to judge.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
For KnT? Because it was always about character growth and not the romance.

Even in that case, Sawako takes one step forward and two steps back alot of the time. KnT is infuriating in its focus on side characters as well. Look guys, we only want to know what happens with Sawako and Kazehaya. Yumi et al can suck it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Even in that case, Sawako takes one step forward and two steps back alot of the time. KnT is infuriating in its focus on side characters as well. Look guys, we only want to know what happens with Sawako and Kazehaya. Yumi et al can suck it.
I prefer it to the agency-less heroines in all the other texts though. She does everything by herself without really being saved at any point.

And you must hate where the manga is going now then. Haha.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
InfiniteNine said:
We need more Kimi ni Todoke. I support this notion by buying the future blurays.
The stuff after the second series is more focused on Sawako's BFFs though, so... I don't mind, but it suddenly becomes a lot more traditional.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
I prefer it to the agency-less heroines in all the other texts though. She does everything by herself without really being saved at any point.

And you must hate where the manga is going now then. Haha.

I've never read past the first volume but even there you notice that the way to pad it out for the author is not the standard shoujo cliches but by putting in tons of side characters and misunderstandings.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
I've never read past the first volume but even there you notice that the way to pad it out for the author is not the standard shoujo cliches but by putting in tons of side characters and misunderstandings.
I'll agree that the second season/later volumes of the manga are very much the author trying to delay the inevitable, but it turned out okay for the most part. Even the misunderstandings were fairly low key and thematically relevant (ie, "Reaching You").

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
I'll agree that the second season/later volumes of the manga are very much the author trying to delay the inevitable, but it turned out okay for the most part. Even the misunderstandings were fairly low key and thematically relevant (ie, "Reaching You").

Oh don't get me wrong. I've swallowed my fair share of cliched to death shoujo and Kimi ni Todoke is indeed a breath of fresh air. I just don't think its that much of one considering it fell into shoujo extension tricks. It just went about them in a different way.

Lain

Heidi 46

Not many episodes left. This was another sweet episode, as all the one ones before it, depicting Clara's vacation on the Alps. The buildup to Clara
actually really wanting to walk and not be a burden on people is handled nicely, and even Ms. "Oh my God!" is kinda softening up in a way.
While rewatching this every morning, I started to change my mind about the show. I never liked Heidi in the past, but now I actually can see that it is good, with some really special moments (the one today with the rainbow was worthy of a postcard).

Natsume book of friends S1 and half of S2

This show is nice and relaxing, with Nyanko-sensei being a great comic relief, but sometimes I feel like it is played a bit too straight with no real twists. From all the recollection though, I'm of the idea that watching Reiko would have been a more exciting experience than watching her too nice, too naive grandson.

mAcOdIn

Lain said:
Natsume book of friends S1 and half of S2

This show is nice and relaxing, with Nyanko-sensei being a great comic relief, but sometimes I feel like it is played a bit too straight with no real twists. From all the recollection though, I'm of the idea that watching Reiko would have been a more exciting experience than watching her too nice, too naive grandson.
Reiko would be a much better main character for sure.

Also, female student Nyanko-sensei is hot.

Go_Ly_Dow

Is this a record?

J.C. Staff To Run Six Anime in Winter 2012

J.C.Staff's anime in Winter 2012:

Shakugan no Shana III (Final)
Bakuman 2
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2
Kill Me Baby
Zero no Tsukaima F
Ano Natsu de Matteru

In addition, J.C. Staff is producing Toaru Majutsu no Index Movie.

Source

duckroll

M_Night said:
Is this a record?

J.C. Staff To Run Six Anime in Winter 2012

Aren't half of those just on-going shows from the current season? If so, it's not a record, no. Come back when a studio has 6 shows starting in the same season.

faridmon

Articalys said:
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos

Better than the average shounen anime movie, I guess, but nothing spectacular. They throw so much history at you just for the film that I lost track of the plot about halfway through and settled for enjoying the cool fight scenes. I'd still recommend it if you're a big FMA fan but probably not otherwise.

Also, it felt a bit weird hearing Romi Paku instead of Vic but I got used to it pretty fast.
I didn't know if its out. I wonder when are they going to localise it.

Patlabor OVA - fin (bonus episode)

RdvJA.jpg

I love this show, there are not many action sequences, just one short real Labor vs. Labor fight, but the story, a big group of unique characters, humor and some of the greatest animations for a OVA production make it to an great anime. I had a lot of fun with it.

Blader

afaik, a Japanese release hasn't even been announced yet, even though Funi said they'd be releasing the bluray in the US next spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom