• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

-Minsc- said:
Gintama Manga/Anime

According to my research, at this point in time, there are only chapters worth of material yet to adapted to anime form. I'm saddened at the thought of another hiatus starting in April.

If you're basing it on the position of the current arc in the manga, that's actually a bit misleading. They've skipped a few stories to get to the current ones at once. When we're done with this, the anime probably will go back to the past chapters that were skipped. That scene in the new opening with the elevator is referencing one of the skipped stories.

They probably will stop next April again though, considering how they seem to want to avoid making long fillers and that would be necessary if they turned Gintama into an uninterrupted series.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Penguin drum 18 - I thought this was a really beautiful and emotionally intense episode. I really liked the pseudo arthouse direction to, it's a damn shame that despite how great this episode was, I can't confidently say "I can't wait for next week!" due to Keiji Gotoh.:(

Jarmel

Banned
Cwarrior said:
Black Lagoon 19 -24 final

Great shows that's a lot of fun to watch with it's over the top action until Rock opens his mouth then it goes ARRRGGG GRRRR FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK, well by anime standards theres far far worse then rock , but he brings this show down so hard with his bullshit.

I heard a few posters say talking that rock gets better later ....NO NO he doesn't in the final arc the japan arc his at his worst single handly making that arc Fucking shit and by far the worst black lagoon eps.

black lagoon when rock mouths shut:
url

When rock opens his mouth
128336119488.gif

Great show but sadly the last arc left me with so much rage.

What? Rock near the end is just as bad if not worse than most of the cast. He's willing to have a bunch of people murdered for what he describes as his hobby.

neoanarch

Jarmel said:
What? Rock near the end is just as bad if not worse than most of the cast. He's willing to have a bunch of people murdered for what he describes as his hobby.

He's saying Rock is bad as a character though. Which is absolute nonsense. Rock's character arc is the absolutely best part about Black Lagoon. Especially the Tokyo arc, where his soul is finally crushed. Without Rock the entire premise falls apart actually. It's only because Rock is there that the events surrounding him seem so outrageous and dangerous. I can't imagine anyone else being the protagonist. In other words Rock is the perfect foil for a lot of the characters.

Jarmel

Banned
neoanarch said:
He's saying Rock is bad as a character though. Which is absolute nonsense. Rock's character arc is the absolutely best part about Black Lagoon. Especially the Tokyo arc, where his soul is finally crushed. Without Rock the entire premise falls apart actually. It's only because Rock is there that the events surrounding him seem so outrageous and dangerous. I can't imagine anyone else being the protagonist. In other words Rock is the perfect foil for a lot of the characters.

Exactly. His character development is absolutely amazing in that he goes from a boring salaryman to a villain(or something close). The audience is watching him just go deeper and deeper down the hole.

Articalys

Jarmel said:
Exactly. His character development is absolutely amazing in that he goes from a boring salaryman to a villain(or something close). The audience is watching him just go deeper and deeper down the hole.
Also Brad Swaile does a kickass job with the role in the dub. "You got FUCKED!"

-Minsc-

I approve of all this GinTama discussion on the past few pages. To honour the occasion, more suit pics (starting with another shot of Otae).

suit_otae.png

As for Otae's boobs, it's more the angle she's leaning that make them look bigger.

suit_kagura.png

suit_kyubei.png

suit_tsuki_sachan.png

NeonZ said:
If you're basing it on the position of the current arc in the manga, that's actually a bit misleading. They've skipped a few stories to get to the current ones at once. When we're done with this, the anime probably will go back to the past chapters that were skipped. That scene in the new opening with the elevator is referencing one of the skipped stories.

They probably will stop next April again though, considering how they seem to want to avoid making long fillers and that would be necessary if they turned Gintama into an uninterrupted series.

Actually, if I read it right, there are twenty eight unadapted chapters with eight of them being skipped over. Counting unwritten chapters I do see enough to make it to April. A one year hiatus really isn't all that bad. Honestly I wish more shoes would do that as it would cut down on crappy filler.

wsippel

Banned
Cwarrior said:

Great shows that's a lot of fun to watch with it's over the top action until Rock opens his mouth then it goes ARRRGGG GRRRR FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK, well by anime standards theres far far worse then rock , but he brings this show down so hard with his bullshit.

I heard a few posters say talking that rock gets better later ....NO NO he doesn't in the final arc the japan arc his at his worst single handly making that arc Fucking shit and by far the worst black lagoon eps.
Watch Roberta's Blood Trail.

Steroyd

Oi oi oi, I barely recovered from the segment itself damnit.

Stellvia 01 - 02

It's like a moe-ised space opera, well considering who reccomended this to me it wasn't much of a surprise. You may be gone but you'll always have your own emote.

The CG makes my eyes bleed though.

Cwarrior

neoanarch said:

The whole premise of the show is about rock, taking a character to an environment he doesn’t belong so the show doesn’t really work without him, but that doesn’t change that his really really annoying with his no end in sight bullshit speeches which the other characters are aware of but someone are able to put up with him. The Tokyo arc is important to rock's character development that is clear, but that doesn’t give it an excuse to be aggravating too watch with little entertainment to be found(terrible way to end it lucky theres more).

Entertainment >character development

Character development is way overrated on gaf :p

Dance In My Blood said:
Mirai Nikki 6
The main character is beginning to really just drag the show down. There are no redeeming values to him. He's obnoxious, whiny, slow witted, and generally a real wimp. It becomes difficult to imagine why Yuno even be crushing on him so hard because honestly, just why? Why?

All these questions and more are answered.

Cwarrior

Hitokage said:
I thought the Tokyo Arc had good development and was entertaining.

Yes you would since rock behaves like a 14 year old magical school girl and Not a 1 year current adult male employee to a mercenary group called the black lagoon company, who’s been living in Roanapur the worst shit whole in the world for a year.
just to let you know am kidding.... kinda

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Cwarrior said:
Yes you would since rock behaves like a 14 year old magical school girl and Not a 1 year current adult male employee to a mercenary group called the black lagoon company, who’s been living in ronabura the worst shit whole in world for a year.
Hey, don't be hate'n on Rock. Watching him slowly get more and more jaded while at the same time pulling Revy from her downward spiral just a bit. It's tragedy waiting to happen, and it's awesome. You're just pissed off that Rock is the only decent human being in a show filled with indecent human beings. It creates a level of mood dissonance that sets up the narrative mood. Rock's not even my favorite character, that's Dutch, but he serves an important anchor point in the show. Call him a pussy if you like, the show needs that pussy.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
PdotMichael said:
Firstly, we should have good characters before we are talking about development.
True, but Rock is well executed. He acts like a "good" man abandoned to the hell of some South Seas pirates, trying to keep his morality. Foolish, yes. Good for character development, Hell yes.

And I thought it was called Roanapur?

and what's with the death of stealth edit? >:|

Cwarrior

Anyways my fav black lagoon characters are

Shenhua
79564.jpg

her insults are so hilarious, she never fails to crack me up, more shenhua please

Balalaika
Miss_Balalaika.jpg

Just so boss

Roberta
black-lagoon-robertas-blood-trail-roberta.jpg

t-1000 killing machine with an Awesome theme, shit gets real when she's on screen.

PdotMichael said:
No Sawyer the Cleaner? I'm disappointed

haven't seen enough of her yet, she only in 2 eps for a very short time.

iavi

firehawk12 said:
Huh. Well, I just skip to the preview of course.

For shame. Gintama usually has some great ED songs.

------

On that note,

Gintama -- Yoshiwara/Spider Arc

I can't believe I had skipped this arc, especially when it may actually be on of the better arcs in the series so far. That fight, dayum.

I can only guess that I missed it because of one of my usual marathon breaks--starting later in the series than I had actually seen. I almost did that recently here.

Jex

neoanarch said:
This is how I feel about it, roughly.
Cwarrior said:
[...]
I'd just like to point out that episode 24 is not the final part of Black Lagoon.

cajunator

Banned
I made it through. ALmost didn't. Saw my moe life flash before my eyes. I think I was floating too.
But I'm back!
And yes that was fucking adorable beyond belief.

Looks like I will have to stop buying the DVDs of Squid Girl and wait for the Bluray. Or maybe I should just buy both of them and give the discs to somebody when I get the BLuray. I hate making decisions.

Black Lagoon was awesome.

Rock is good since he clearly doesn't fucking belong in that city but he makes it more interesting since he tries to bring something different. And also that difference causes him to be attracted to alot of the characters (Ada,Chang, Balaikia, Revy, Dutch, etc)

Ezalc said:
Rock and Revy need to shut up and just fuck already, goddamn.

Won't hear any disagreement from me about this.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
...what?

Let me reiterate myself. What?
Well you see WARNING Penguin Drum and Yami Spoilers:

In Yami Hazuki searches through different worlds for this near-mythological girl that's also her main love interest. Meanwhile in Penguin Drum Yuri wants to use a certain power to shift through worlds to one where she can find Momoka, a girl that she's in love with (apparently). Both shows revolve around books and both shows have a magical hat worn by a main character!

cajunator

Banned
Watching Working'!! episode 7 and the latest Ika Musume episode back to back is what nearly killed me. That was far too dangerous and doctors recommended that I only watch one episode of either show per week to minimize the risks. Doctors know what they are talking about.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
cajunator said:
I made it through. ALmost didn't. Saw my moe life flash before my eyes. I think I was floating too.
But I'm back!
And yes that was fucking adorable beyond belief.

Looks like I will have to stop buying the DVDs of Squid Girl and wait for the Bluray. Or maybe I should just buy both of them and give the discs to somebody when I get the BLuray. I hate making decisions.

Blu-Ray for me. I want my cuteness fix in HD!

cajunator

Banned
Yeah. 'll wait it out. After they fucked up the first volume packaging and scratched the discs to hell I don't know if I want to collect that cheap ass set.
I'll give it to one of my anime needy friends.

Go_Ly_Dow

Dance In My Blood said:
Mirai Nikki 6
The main character is beginning to really just drag the show down. There are no redeeming values to him. He's obnoxious, whiny, slow witted, and generally a real wimp. It becomes difficult to imagine why Yuno even be crushing on him so hard because honestly, just why? Why?

We really need a wimpy anime protagonist chart.

Similar to this:

GmGFJ.jpg

cajunator

Banned
I liked Toradora and Midori Days because the male protagonists weren't pushovers. they were actually misunderstood and believed to be thugs but they were perfectly willing to throw down when crossed.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
You forgot that both series also have
oddly frequent attempted or implied sexual assault.

Now we know where ikuni's getting all of his ideas from, tho.
Further proof that he's a Shinbo-level hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom