• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patlabor TV - 1

bLiHG.gif

I had the same expression on my face as I played Steel Battalion for the first time with this great controller unit. But she has the real thing :/

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
My favorite part about Rock is he tends to have all these moral ideals, but he never really acts on them, which i find to be a pretty realistic trait in a lot of people.

Entertainment >character development
But character development in case of Rock is entertaining.>:

Articalys

More details on what's going on with that cancelled AT-X Gintama episode...
The J-Cast News website reported on Tuesday that the office of Upper House legislator Renhō Murata denied objecting to the Gintama' episode that was pulled from the anime television channel AT-X. According to J-Cast, a representative from the office said, "It is not true that we objected [to the episode]. The decision whether to broadcast or not was a decision of the station, so we have no comment."

AT-X announced on Friday that its showings of Gintama' episode 232 were cancelled at the request of the program's original broadcaster, TV Tokyo. The episode had already aired on TV Tokyo on October 31, and as of Tuesday, the episode is still streaming overseas on the Crunchyroll service.

Among other items, episode 232 had parodies of the public service announcements from the Advertising Council Japan and an older female politician named "Renhō." Renhō Murata, the current Minister for Government Revitalisation, goes simply by her given name "Renhō" when campaigning.

Gintama' supervisor Shinji Takamatsu had posted on Twitter on October 26 that the episode was initially rejected and indicated that it was because of its jokes. He said that if the time came that the anime could not do material in the spirit of Gintama, then he thinks the television anime should stop — rather than airing "something that isn't Gintama." However, he added that he thinks that day has not come.

Takamatsu then revealed that the episode was resubmitted on the same day it aired. On November 14, he announced that he is taking a break from Twitter.

The TV Tokyo representative in charge of Gintama' had cited "various circumstances" for why the station requested AT-X to cancel its reruns of episode 232. The representative explained that the station made the request "because there were depictions reminiscent of specific individual(s)." When asked if the individual was Minister Renhō, the representative repeatedly responded, "We cannot answer that."
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...er-office-denies-objecting-to-gintama-episode

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
cajunator said:
I liked Toradora and Midori Days because the male protagonists weren't pushovers. they were actually misunderstood and believed to be thugs but they were perfectly willing to throw down when crossed.

I as well. I enjoyed MD more than TD though. I'm strange like that. ^^;

Jex

PdotMichael said:
Patlabor TV - 1

http://i.imgur.com/bLiHG.gif

I had the same expression on my face as I played Steel Battalion for the first time with this great controller unit. But she has the real thing :/
As has been said before, Patlabor TV is a rather more Noa-centric work than the OVA's, even though both works have a pretty solid ensemble cast. Actually I don't think that's right - the Patlabor cast is more than just solid, I'd say it's pretty great. I think I like every major character, which is remarkable in itself.

Wow, this is a big thread.

Uh, hey guys, as someone who's been out of the anime scene for a while and who's favorite animes include: Samurai Champloo, FLCL, Ghost in the Shell (the 1st movie), Macross Plus (the OVAS), Blue Sub 6, Akira and Cowboy Bebop, can you give me just a few recommendations to check out. The front page of this thread seems like a dizzying assortment of animes with big-titted 15 year old girls as the leads and I don't know what I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance.

Risette

A Good Citizen
starchild excalibur said:

Uh, hey guys, as someone who's been out of the anime scene for a while and who's favorite animes include: Samurai Champloo, FLCL, Ghost in the Shell (the 1st movie), Macross Plus (the OVAS), Blue Sub 6, Akira and Cowboy Bebop, can you give me just a few recommendations to check out. The front page of this thread seems like a dizzying assortment of animes with big-titted 15 year old girls as the leads and I don't know what I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance.
Trapeze/Kuuchuu Buranko
Mononoke (2007 TV series not Ghibli movie)
K-ON!/!!
Tetsuwan Birdy Decode both seasons
Casshern Sins
iDOLM@STER
Gurren Lagann
Sword of the Stranger (movie)
Baccano!

Jex

Thanks in advance.
Hey, there's only like 6 or 7 shows that match that criteria.

It would help to know what other shows you've watched so that I don't recommend something you've already seen, but I'll try and forge ahead regardless.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - this is the TV series of Ghost in the Shell. Most people have already seen it, but I'm working from a blank slate.

If you've already seen that why not watch Moribito, it's by the same director.

Sword of the Stranger - is a samurai action movie. That's about gist of it - if you like really well made action movies with great fight choreography this is the one to watch.

A studio Ghibli movie of some sort. Preferably something like Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky or Princess Mononoke.

If you want to see another well made mecha show, that's also nice and short, I would definitely recommend Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket or the inferior Gundam, 08th MS Team. They're both fairly serious, however.

If you want less serious then Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Casshern Sins is a fairly grim and unrelenting show, but it's extremely well made and quite accessible.

Mushishi is a really excellent show that features a variety of one-off episodes where the story does not carry over to the next one.

Steroyd

cajunator said:
I made it through. ALmost didn't. Saw my moe life flash before my eyes. I think I was floating too.
But I'm back!
And yes that was fucking adorable beyond belief.

Looks like I will have to stop buying the DVDs of Squid Girl and wait for the Bluray. Or maybe I should just buy both of them and give the discs to somebody when I get the BLuray. I hate making decisions.

Wait why is there a decision in seeing something like Squid Girl in HD?

Nice to know that the esquipade didn't off you, maybe next time.

Chihayafru - 07

I can play Karuta blindfolded.

I hope y'all are happy, here's the dip in quality you've all been waiting for, desk-kun's introduction was rather bland, with that speech at the end just coming off as cheese, nothing much to say really.

Jexhius said:
Hey, there's only like 6 or 7 shows that match that criteria.

:p

It would help to know what other shows you've watched so that I don't recommend something you've already seen, but I'll try and forge ahead regardless.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - this is the TV series of Ghost in the Shell. Most people have already seen it, but I'm working from a blank slate.

If you've already seen that why not watch Moribito, it's by the same director.

Sword of the Stranger - is a samurai action movie. That's about gist of it - if you like really well made action movies with great fight choreography this is the one to watch.

A studio Ghibli movie of some sort. Preferably something like Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky or Princess Mononoke.

If you want to see another well made mecha show, that's also nice and short, I would definitely recommend Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket or the inferior Gundam, 08th MS Team. They're both fairly serious, however.

If you want less serious then Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Casshern Sins is a fairly grim and unrelenting show, but it's extremely well made and quite accessible.

Mushishi is a really excellent show that features a variety of one-off episodes where the story does not carry over to the next one.

Only a few of those are ones that I've already seen, so you didn't overlap too much. I tried watching SAC a few times, but couldn't quite get into it as much. I think the lush, ultra-violent visuals of the film just made my expectations unrealistic about the show.

I think I'll check out Casshern Sins and Sword of the Stranger first. Thanks!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me

Thanks in advance.
Everyone else will recommend more and better than I can, except for one series. Kino's Journey. Watch it. You are welcome.

Jex

:p
Only a few of those are ones that I've already seen, so you didn't overlap too much. I tried watching SAC a few times, but couldn't quite get into it as much. I think the lush, ultra-violent visuals of the film just made my expectations unrealistic about the show.
Sounds like you need to be watching the far more extreme and rather more recent version of Ghost in the Shell, by which I mean Mardock Sramble: The First Compression. It's completely tasteless trash.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
Chihayafru - 07

I can play Karuta blindfolded.

I hope y'all are happy, here's the dip in quality you've all been waiting for, desk-kun's introduction was rather bland, with that speech at the end just coming off as cheese, nothing much to say really.
Yep, the game was half pans and whatnot. Also, Taichi still sucks, but I get the feeling that he's the "canon" love interest based on the fact that Arata is only a memory now. :/

Arata 2.0 is also fairly bland... but I almost hope that they'll do something with the fact that the club, at the moment, is made up of the two most popular kids and the two "loser" kids. It's almost like the end of Freaks and Geeks when James Franco decides to play D&D with the nerds.

Steroyd

Kurenai (Complete)

35jx994.jpg

That was a good show, I don't like how the main guy gets his ass kicked the whole way through, and then being shounen-esque is kicking ass at the last minute of the last episode because he changed fighting styles *rolleyes* but watching a 7 year old oujo-sama was a treat, that inner sanctuary is some nexus fucked up shit that would give ABF a heart attack
incest and lolicon AT THE SAME TIME.

Jex

Chihayafuru 7

There are a lots of pans, tilts, zooms and other 'cheap' techniques this weak to disguise a drop in animation quality and direction. It's fairly noticeable, but I can live with it.

Unfortunately, a lot of the strength of the show really comes from the direction because without it, well, all we have people playing karuta.

Karuta.

Chihaya is still a good character, of course and the episode itself isn't terrible, so I'd still recommend watching it.

Steroyd

Jexhius said:
Hidamari Sketch 1

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/hidamari1.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/hidamari2a.jpg[IMG]

This show is pretty amazing.[/QUOTE]

One. Of. Us.
One. Of. Us.
One. Of. Us.
One. Of. Us.

[QUOTE=Jexhius][B]Chihayafuru 7[/B]

There are a lots of pans, tilts, zooms and other 'cheap' techniques this weak to disguise a drop in animation quality and direction. It's fairly noticeable, but I can live with it.

Unfortunately, a lot of the strength of the show really comes from the direction because without it, well, all we have people playing [I]karuta[/I].

[I]Karuta[/I].

Chihaya is still a good character, of course and the episode itself isn't terrible, so I'd still recommend watching it.[/QUOTE]

One of my reservations at the beggining of the series was the actual game of Karuta bringing the series down, this is a sign of that being the case, but I can let it slide mostly because the last 6 episodes have been good in spite of Karuta.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
One of my reservations at the beggining of the series was the actual game of Karuta bringing the series down, this is a sign of that being the case, but I can let it slide mostly because the last 6 episodes have been good in spite of Karuta.
Karuta is fine.

cajunator said:
That too.
And is the Takane episode #19?
Yep.

Steroyd

It must be, because every episode up to 18 she's been a non entity.*

*Big boobed beach cameo.

firehawk12 said:
Karuta is fine.

Karuta is pallatable, but it's just not interesting, not even when Taichi tried to apply strategy to it earlier in the latest episode.

Dresden

Karuta at this point is about as interesting as mahjong to me. One's like watching leaves fall from cherry trees and the other is like listening to two people speak in Klingon.

cajunator

Banned
Steroyd said:
It must be, because every episode up to 18 she's been a non entity.*

*Big boobed beach cameo.

Karuta is pallatable, but it's just not interesting, not even when Taichi tried to apply strategy to it earlier in the latest episode.
I like my boobs with personality.
I meant women.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
Eh, that's all sports though. At least they're not playing Starcraft.

Dresden said:
Karuta at this point is about as interesting about mahjong to me. One's like watching leaves fall from cherry trees and the other is like listening to two people speak in Klingon.
Those seem equally great!

Steroyd

firehawk12 said:

I hope you're not throwing two Klingons playing snap to something like Football (Soccer) or Tennis etc.

I'll give you cricket though, Cricket sucks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
I hope you're not throwing two Klingons playing snap to something like Football (Soccer) or Tennis etc.

I'll give you cricket though, Cricket sucks.
If Sports were inherently interesting, people wouldn't dismiss women's sports out of hand. :p

Dresden

A Starcraft shoujosei would be so amazing. A young Japanese girl attempts to rise through the ranks dominated by sexist Korean boys. It'll be a reverse harem.

Dresden said:
Karuta at this point is about as interesting about mahjong to me. One's like watching leaves fall from cherry trees and the other is like listening to two people speak in Klingon.
Somehow both Akagi and Chihayafuru make both of those games interesting for me, even though I knew nothing about them to start with. Akagi even inspired me to go out and learn mahjong, and I would do the same with karuta except, well, I'm not Japanese.

Jex

Dresden said:
Yeah but at least with mahjong you have The Legend of Kozumi.

I think that's enough really.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
That would be about a hundred times more interesting, as a game. But you wouldn't have such classy warbling.

7Th

A Starcraft anime would only work if they used footage from the actual game, which would make the "playing the game" part of the show kinda lame.

Dresden

Nah they should animate the zerglings swarming marines or something so it's like we're really there. It should also be CG.

Really, they don't even need to to show the gameplay, just show people frowning or furrowing their brows or staring blankly at the screen. As long as the competitive aspect is there and we somewhat care about the characters, it'll work.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Hidamari Sketch 1

hidamari1.jpg

hidamari2a.jpg

This show is pretty amazing.
You've taken your first step into a largerwider world.

Actually, I just noticed those are screens of the 4:3 airing. The show should really be watched at its full 16:9 ratio if possible for fully realized widefaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom