• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
PdotMichael said:
What was with the DVD/BR release? Two volumes just with Endless Eight episodes or every release had on or two episodes?
In Japan they mixed in the endless eight episodes on each volume so you couldn't just skip buying the endless eight discs if you just wanted the good episodes from the season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
The weekly wait is one of the best parts of watching anime. Marathoning just doesn't have the same effect.

Imagine Endless Eight without the 2 months of aggravation. Booooring.
As the lone defender of the artistic intent of Endless Eight, I see it as an example of why broadcast television is intrinsically different from "home video" television. I'm not saying every show needs to be like that, but it leveraged the "power" of the medium in a very interesting manner.

PdotMichael said:
What was with the DVD/BR release? Two volumes just with Endless Eight episodes or every release had on or two episodes?
Two eps per disc, IIRC.

zeroshiki

hosannainexcelsis said:
As someone not particularly invested in the Haruhi franchise, I loved watching Endless Eight unfold. Every week there would be the cries of "Surely this must be the last one!" - but it wasn't. The slowly dawning horror that KyoAni really was going to keep this going for eight episodes... Delicious.

I was dying every week waiting for the conclusion. The catharsis of the 8th episode was incredible though. I had to jump and go FUCK YEAH when Kyon finally called out to Haruhi.

firehawk12 said:
As the lone defender of the artistic intent of Endless Eight, I see it as an example of why broadcast television is intrinsically different from "home video" television. I'm not saying every show needs to be like that, but it leveraged the "power" of the medium in a very interesting manner.

Two eps per disc, IIRC.

I actually appreciated some of the intent and in retrospect see it as an interesting broadcast strategy and setup for the inevitable payoff with Disappearance. It was just really really aggravating in real time.

Black Lagoon is awful in general, but yes, Rock is really annoying. He's essentially Mr. Generic Anime Protagonist, as annoying in Black Lagoon as that character is anywhere else. That he does become more like the people he's around (that is, he goes evil too) doesn't change that.

Dresden said:
A Starcraft shoujosei would be so amazing. A young Japanese girl attempts to rise through the ranks dominated by sexist Korean boys. It'll be a reverse harem.
... That could actually be decent, the problem is that because the MC is a Japanese girl, it wouldn't sell in Korea, which is where your main fanbase for a Starcraft show would be...

Master Keaton 17

I'm not a big fan of Charlie Chapman, but then I've never liked the "dumb detective who gets shown up by the real detective behind-the-scenes" character.

7Th said:
What? She is literally Kallen in a wheelchair!

Nah, Kallen had a completely different personality than Not-Asuka so far. Also, I was basing Not-Asuka's name on her physical appearance. What personality she may or may not have is still to be determined. But she really isn't Kallen as far as I can tell at this point. That might change soon enough, I'm still a few episodes from being caught up.

Guilty Crown 3:

The most notable thing about these sorts of modern animes is how you can immediately tell who is important or not by how different they look from normal (read: background, unimportant) characters. If the character looks normal, they will be at best comic relief or plot advancement tools only. If the character looks distinctive, they will be important. I would call it the Square-Enix Designation of Who Is Important but it's endemic to all animes (not to mention the JRPGs from this concept originated) now that it's origin is pretty irrelevant. Some shows take this to a hilarious extreme, for example Horizon where NOBODY looks like a normal person.

The show has the Production I.G. trademark of subtly changing and morphing ED animation after each episode. This is a nice touch in a show which is otherwise so incredibly Sunrise it's sometimes painful to witness. The other I.G. trademark which is full force here is the use of subtle softness in static scenes and lighting. It's more-or-less how you do 3DCG lighting on 2D scenes right in animation. See Persona 4: The Animation for how you do it wrong.

Cwarrior

Ezalc said:
Karuta Club 7
Finally Karuta got at little interesting. Playing it like that completely destroyed Chihaya that it makes me wonder if a similar effect could happen with Arata, probably not but it'd be interesting to see. The new guy is just some generic nerd which is sad, I can see the next guy joining just because he thinks Chihaya is hot or something. Too bad this game will never be interesting given the way each card is called out. Every time I hear that shit I want to punch somebody, fucking stupid sing song-ish voice.

Am with you there bro I hate that chant( should of got wakamoto to do it).

Just let you guys know

English dub Rock >>>>>>> Japanese Rock

The English dub would be the definitive one to watch if it wasn't for how awesome Shenhua and Balalaika Japanese sound plus dat engrish.

Maybe someone should create a custom audio track for Black Lagoon which hilariously mixes voices from the JP and ENG dubs to create the ultimate lulz where people shout at each other in different languages yet understand each other perfectly. I would watch the SHIT out of that.

Guilty Crown 4:

The less sense this show makes, the better it gets. The supercell music has that huge, epic feeling which manages to increase the show's mood instead of gratuitously overshadowing it. Not-Jeremiah-Gottwald is a nice addition to the cast. Then a bunch of shit happens and an action scene, the end.
I'm sure that transmitter which instantly pinpoints Shu's location anywhere in the world for GHQ will come in handy later on when the plot twists at the inevitable halfway-point between episodes 13 and 14.
This is going to be 25 or 26 episodes, right?

This show has a fantastic OP. The ED is meh but I like the constant morphing of animation used in it.

Ezalc

Cwarrior said:
Am with you there bro I hate that chant.

Just let you guys know

English dub Rock >>>>>>> Japanese Rock

The English dub would be the definitive one to watch if it wasn't for how awesome Shenhua and Balalaika Japanese sound plus the engrish.

Thank god I'm not alone in this. Also yes dat Black Lagoon engrish was glorious.

Guilty Crown 5:

A leukocyte, also called a white blood cell, is one of several different types of blood cells mainly dedicated to immune function. However, in Japan, it is the name of a
low-Earth orbit satellite-mounted orbital laser system.
themoreyouknow.gif

The whole wacky genetics theming of the show and the way things are named after immune functions because of some virus that mysteriously causes people to crystallize, because you know real viruses work like that, it's a bit odd for someone like me. I never took that Virology class in college but I'm pretty certain real viruses don't work like that.

If real genetics research was awesome and involved sticking your hand into people's chests to draw out random weapons from inside of them, I would have remained in that field after graduating from college. As it is, I found research to be boring and now I'm doing something entirely unrelated to genetics. Still, the rate of advancement in real genetic research is quite blistering, I don't think it unreasonable for there to be real medical treatments based on genetic modifications within the next few decades at the rate we're going. The current ETA on sticking your hand in a cute girl's chest to pull a sword out of her is still unknown.

Defuser

Unknown Soldier said:
Guilty Crown 5:

A leukocyte, also called a white blood cell, is one of several different types of blood cells mainly dedicated to immune function. However, in Japan, it is the name of a
low-Earth orbit sattelite-mounted orbital laser system.
themoreyouknow.gif
Japan loves that shit.I mean they actually put it in twice in Gundam 00.

Articalys

Going to probably set Chihayafuru and Mirai Nikki on the backburner for a bit, wait until CR and NicoNico get a small archive going then watch in sets of three or four.

Tamayura ~hitotose~ 7

Still the most charming show this season, and for good reason. One of these days I really really need to watch Aria, but Netflix only has Animation and Natural. Is it bad if I leave out Arietta and Origination?

The Idolmaster 19

Apparently Yumi Hara's (Takane's VA) favorite food is ramen as well. Amusing.
Using the climax of Chihaya's storyline as part of some petty evil scheme from 961? God dammit, I didn't want it to be like this...
At least the boys finally start to realize that Kuroi isn't the most upstanding fellow.

Mirai Nikki 6

"Didn't need to use my tools" indeed.

Mostly a setup episode, but I love this arc. Super tense but on a smaller scale. Can't wait to see how they handle it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yamada has really grown on me in this season of Working!!

U0FgA.jpg

Huh, so the project that Guilty Crown's director Tetsuro Araki worked on immediately before was Highschool of the Dead. Huh, this guy has a knack for turning dumber than a bag of rocks into completely enjoyable and glorious.

Tiger & Bunny episode 11

The good thing about the episode is my favorite character had a large role in it.
I will be so angry if Origami Cyclone gets in danger or killed off, he is my favorite hero and it was just so suspenseful having him disguised the whole time

Ano Hana 9 & 10

I was glad it got back on pace and is swiftly concluding. I would be lying if I said I didnt get all teary eyed and such.
I actually was getting sad thinking of Menma leaving them all and such, especially when the firework went off

Nichijou 11

Sakamoto and Yuko are definitely my faves and I think I finally encountered the animes most hilarious skit. I was actually in tears from laughing, it was the one with the old man.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
pieatorium said:
http://i.imgur.com/XNBzz.gif[img]

+

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4l1mD.gif[img][/quote]

APM moe!!!

[quote=zeroshiki]
I actually appreciated some of the intent and in retrospect see it as an interesting broadcast strategy and setup for the inevitable payoff with Disappearance. It was just really really [B]aggravating in real time.[/B][/quote]
That was the whole point though. It's also why I think Nagato is the secret main character of the show.

wsippel

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Huh, so the project that Guilty Crown's director Tetsuro Araki worked on immediately before was Highschool of the Dead. Huh, this guy has a knack for turning dumber than a bag of rocks into completely enjoyable and glorious.
And one of the two authors created Seikon no Qwaser if I remember correctly, which is even more stupid and insane than HSotD.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
APM moe!!!

Day of Sagittarius is my favorite Haruhi episode ever.

That was the whole point though. It's also why I think Nagato is the secret main character of the show.

Its gotten to the point that Nagato has become annoying though. When I watched Disappearance I freaking knew who was behind everything from the start just by connecting the dots.

And despite it being Haruhi's show she's barely around when the fun stuff happens.

Ben-To 6 - This episode was good, but as has happened in several previous episodes of this series, was brought down a bit by its genre. Now, for the most part this was a good episode, it was good to see that villain Monarch go down after what he'd done.

As for my complaint though, basically I find it stupid that of course the MC had to be the one to deal the final blow to Monarch. We know that in a fight he'd lose against him (as shown by how the first thing Monarch does is punch him across the room), and it's the Ice Witch who's the group leader, not him -- she's the one who fights and pretty much defeats him, even though she was hurt because of the ambush he'd had a bunch of his guys spring on her earlier. But, since the lead guy is the MC, he has to get the final hit anyway. It was kind of dumb. Then she gives up on the special bento; her excuse was that she's too injured to beat them, I guess, but who knows if it's true or not. She seemed hurt when she arrived at the Ralph Store for sure, but as soon as the fight started she was fine again pretty much...

Anyway, then, at the end, the MC and his cousin fight over the bento and he wins. She then says she's not sure if she's really a wolf like the others, given that she can't beat either of them... and yeah, it is true that she isn't as good as either of them, but she's still better than most of the random guys anyway for sure.

On another note, apparently Oshiroi got a bento again, in the unseen fight at the other store. Given that we still haven't seen her show any signs of being able to fight, and she doesn't look THAT stealthy or something, I do wonder how she keeps managing it... her novel based on the MC's doings is good stuff though. :lol

Neo C. said:
Majikoi 1-5: Episode 5 is the best so far, but in general the show is below average exluding Momo.
It's about average for its genre overall really, I'd say. That is, it's not great, but it's entertaining when it's good.

However, episode 6 is the best episode of the first six. It's an experience not to be missed...

Cwarrior

Fate Zero 7

Excellent episode can't wait for next weeks

-Rider & waver are a great duo
-Really well done intenese action scene

Am going to have to rewatch this show once the uncut version comes out.

Tiger & Bunny 13

Excellent end to the Jake arc. A couple of awesome villains + a mini-tournament with badass fights are enough to satisfy me. I facepalmed when Kotetsu said
Jake's 2nd ability was super hearing
but then was like OH SHIT when his plan was revealed. Those are some sexy tactics from a guy that until now hasn't been portrayed as super intelligent. Though shouldn't
Jake hear him thinking that he was lying to Bunny while explaining the plan to him?

This show has really taken a huge jump in quality since Ouroboros was revealed. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Chihayafuru 7

I thought this was a pretty strong episode. Yeah not in the animation department or direction but the writing was still as solid as it been all show. The twist with the Karuta match was enough to keep me interested even if it was mostly pans and still shots.

Blader

So has there been any word whatsoever on that new MADHOUSE film, The Princess and the Pilot? It apparently came out over a month ago but I haven't seen any kind of impressions/reviews for it yet.

zeroshiki

Blader5489 said:
So has there been any word whatsoever on that new MADHOUSE film, The Princess and the Pilot? It apparently came out over a month ago but I haven't seen any kind of impressions/reviews for it yet.

Is that the one with the Japanese title To Aru Hikuushi no Tsuioku? It looked interesting but seemed like your standard normal guy meets princess story. I actually looked at some reviews right now just for you and the consensus seems to be that it cut off too much from the LN source to fit into the movie and they weren't able to properly develop the relationships. The animation was also meh for a movie.

Jex

Ezalc said:
Don't watch this show. Just listen to the OP and if you like that go listen to more music made by the band. If you don't then don't bother with it.
Don't listen to this man.
/XX/ said:
Anyone else here tends (or prefers) to follow episodic shows one at a time? In my case, I can't disconnect in an instant from what I saw previously, and simply find them much more enjoyable because of this, animated or not. It is like I distract easily watching another one right away, and I can't have a clearer image of them, without interferences. Or even to maintain the same mood, without forgetting how it made feel. I find it more immersive overall. Anyway, I don't know how to explain myself better...

So... what do you really like to do, guys?

Yeah, I know this is a seasonal thread to discuss a lot of series people see simultaneously, but I thought someone else would probably share this approach...
I have to trouble tackling multiple shows at once. However, I will say that watching one show at a time, e.g. 'marathon' through it (watching a number of episodes in succession) is a different experience then watching it weekly. Sometimes it's better.

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
As for my complaint though, basically I find it stupid that of course the MC had to be the one to deal the final blow to Monarch. We know that in a fight he'd lose against him (as shown by how the first thing Monarch does is punch him across the room), and it's the Ice Witch who's the group leader, not him -- she's the one who fights and pretty much defeats him, even though she was hurt because of the ambush he'd had a bunch of his guys spring on her earlier. But, since the lead guy is the MC, he has to get the final hit anyway. It was kind of dumb. Then she gives up on the special bento; her excuse was that she's too injured to beat them, I guess, but who knows if it's true or not. She seemed hurt when she arrived at the Ralph Store for sure, but as soon as the fight started she was fine again pretty much...
Eh, the show's not in that territory yet in my opinion. Landing the last blow's a pretty meaningless claim to fame when it's several against one, Sato wouldn't have been able to land the last blow if it wasn't for her and everyone knows he wouldn't have lasted long against Monarch by himself anyways. So he got the last hit, big deal. Also, I think it kinda fits with Yarizui's role in the show. She's the upperclassman and in the show she's also taken on a more direct motherly role by raising Sato and Oshiroi as new wolves. In that context some of her actions that might be considered as actions taken to cater to the male audience might actually be due to her role and her desire to enable her new packmates to grow as wolves. Perhaps she could have beat Monarch alone but after Sato came all the way down there, why bother, he needs the experience, maybe she could have still taken the bento with honor seal but maybe she really just wanted Shaga and Sato to fight?

It may seem sexist in a way but it's also the theme of the show so far. Yarizui is the upperclassman and the current leader of the group, Sato is the underclassman and the newbie so it is her place to enable him and allow him to grow as a wolf. Second, we've just come off several episodes dealing with just this. The Wizard was likely her mentor, he likely enabled and trained her in much the same way she is doing now that was just all off screen. Notice how he's gone now as a third year? Now switch over to Matsy and the Monarch's side. Again, Matsy is now retired, Monarch is now pack leader and this time there didn't seem to be a clear succession and problems arose from it. I think it's clear from how the show handles those who retire as wolves departure from the scene and the effects it has on those left behind is that this show's eventual end is clearly going to be that Yarizui is not just raising Sato as a wolf for fun, or because she likes him(although maybe she does) or just because she needs three members to keep her club going it's that Sato is obviously going to succeed her, she is training her successor just as her predecessor had done before her. The Wizard? Gone. The Monarch Butterfly? Gone. And so to will the Ice Witch at some point. What I think you should take from this is that things that appear to be sexist are not always sexist. It might have been for sexist reasons that the author decided to make Sato the MC and revolve it around him as opposed to the other way around but the universe itself is not sexist as the generation before in his school the lead was a male training a female. You want to find sexism or something to be disappointed about there, I can't stop you but I think you're wrong if you do so.
A Black Falcon said:
Anyway, then, at the end, the MC and his cousin fight over the bento and he wins. She then says she's not sure if she's really a wolf like the others, given that she can't beat either of them... and yeah, it is true that she isn't as good as either of them, but she's still better than most of the random guys anyway for sure.
Now that was BS. Actually, I don't mind that Sato won, from the looks of it that fight wasn't going to be some no holds barred fight with all kinds of techniques and shit just two combatants hitting each other as hard as they can until one falls, Sato can probably manage a fight like that, it's not much different from his fight the previous episode, I'm just pissed they didn't show it. Then they have the balls to reference it "why if Oshiroi had seen that fight," Oshiroi, what the fuck about us, who cares if she sees it!
A Black Falcon said:
On another note, apparently Oshiroi got a bento again, in the unseen fight at the other store. Given that we still haven't seen her show any signs of being able to fight, and she doesn't look THAT stealthy or something, I do wonder how she keeps managing it... her novel based on the MC's doings is good stuff though. :lol
It's just a theme in the show, it's not entirely realistic but then nothing about the show is, but I imagine it's not so much stealth as her remaining as a noncombatant until just the right moment. Fighting in a large group like that takes a lot of situational awareness, they don't just drag in random customers into their battles so there'd be lots of chances for someone who starts off as a non-combatant at first to jump in at an inopportune time and grab your meal from under you.

Also, her novel sucks.

Damnit, what follows is a lie!
A Black Falcon said:
It's about average for its genre overall really, I'd say. That is, it's not great, but it's entertaining when it's good.
It's way above average for it's genre, come on.

mAcOdIn

Jexhius said:
Sounds like you need that new quote system more than ever.
I would have made the mistake either way I think, wait, will the new system add depth to quotes, quotes within a quote? If so then yes, I fucking need it, it would have averted this horrible mistake.
zeroshiki said:
I am gonna tell everyone now that mac likes Majikoi.

In fact, we should ask that it should be his tag.
I'm not too worried about my internet repuration as I'm pretty sure it's about as low as it can go but for it to be tag worthy it'd need to be witty, there's no wit in Majikoi nor can I see a way to spin it as such.

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
No it didn't, the first word in the quoted text was "Majikoi", after all!

(I'll respond to the rest later)
Yes, but when I quoted you it doesn't show me what you quoted so I mistakenly attributed that part of the description to Ben-to as well.

mAcOdIn said:
Yes, but when I quoted you it doesn't show me what you quoted so I mistakenly attributed that part of the description to Ben-to as well.
I always keep the post I'm replying to open in another tab, so that I get the right context for each thing I'm replying to... otherwise I'll forget what some are about.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Its gotten to the point that Nagato has become annoying though. When I watched Disappearance I freaking knew who was behind everything from the start just by connecting the dots.

And despite it being Haruhi's show she's barely around when the fun stuff happens.
That's why Nagato is the secret best main character!

hosannainexcelsis said:
You can always tell real intelligence by a person's typing speed.
All hackers in every movie ever are smart!

Jexhius said:
What's your name, Shane?
Secret best mangod of Neogaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom