• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

I'm not kidding about the aspect ratio differences!

aspect%20ratios.jpg

scy

Dresden said:
A Starcraft shoujosei would be so amazing. A young Japanese girl attempts to rise through the ranks dominated by sexist Korean boys. It'll be a reverse harem.

The Korean in me just died a little on the inside.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
Nah they should animate the zerglings swarming marines or something so it's like we're really there. It should also be CG.

Really, they don't even need to to show the gameplay, just show people frowning or furrowing their brows or staring blankly at the screen. As long as the competitive aspect is there and we somewhat care about the characters, it'll work.
Can you animate high APM?

cajunator

Banned
Idolm@ster 19

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Takane. So elegant. So refined. So MAI WAIFU. MINE. DAT VOICE. She even has a great sense of humor. HNNNNNNGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

This episode makes up for the boredom of the rest (except the Makoto episode. that one was adorable). ALso, that quite significant development at the end of the episode has me interested. Gonna follow up on at least that arc. But this episode. SO WORTH IT.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Steroyd said:
Kurenai (Complete)

http://i40.tinypic.com/35jx994.jpg[IMG]

That was a good show, I don't like how the main guy gets his ass kicked the whole way through, and then being shounen-esque is kicking ass at the last minute of the last episode because he changed fighting styles *rolleyes* but watching a 7 year old oujo-sama was a treat, that inner sanctuary is some nexus fucked up shit that would give ABF a heart attack [spoiler]incest and lolicon AT THE SAME TIME.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
That show was so heartwarming and depressing at the same time. The dawww factor was so high, I had to take insulin to prevent diabetes. But it wasn't saccharine, it was more bittersweet. Easily one of the best shows of the last 5 years.

Branduil

doomed1 said:
That show was so heartwarming and depressing at the same time. The dawww factor was so high, I had to take insulin to prevent diabetes. But it wasn't saccharine, it was more bittersweet. Easily one of the best shows of the last 5 years.
Uh, I wouldn't rate it that high, but it was better than I expected it to be.

RedSwirl

starchild excalibur said:
:p

Only a few of those are ones that I've already seen, so you didn't overlap too much. I tried watching SAC a few times, but couldn't quite get into it as much. I think the lush, ultra-violent visuals of the film just made my expectations unrealistic about the show.

I think I'll check out Casshern Sins and Sword of the Stranger first. Thanks!

If you can find it, Michiko to Hatchin.

RedSwirl

But really, the only thing I've been interested in this season is Last Exile, and I quickly realized that I didn't actually remember much from the first season, so I'm actually re-watching that on DVD first. Same thing goes for Unicorn. I remember barely anything about what happened in the UC universe so I'm at least going to re-watch OG Gundam with that new DVD set.

Ezalc

RedSwirl said:
If you can find it, Michiko to Hatchin.

Don't watch this show. Just listen to the OP and if you like that go listen to more music made by the band. If you don't then don't bother with it.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Branduil said:
Uh, I wouldn't rate it that high, but it was better than I expected it to be.
Maybe it's just the fact that it follows almost none of the standard contrivances of modern anime and was still rather distinctly Japanese in that it dealt with social problems more or less specific to Japanese culture. I put it as "one of the best" of the last five years, but what really qualifies for that these days? Arakawa I guess, Trapeze, Wandering Son, Usagi Drop, are what I can come up with off of the top of my head, and what I'm talking about is more a top 15 list here not "THESE ARE THE BEST THREE ANIMUS!" or some such silliness.

I mean, that that says nothing of what people actually enjoyed, I enjoyed Hidan no Aria probably a good deal better than any of the shows I listed, but it sure as hell isn't a better show. It's more about what we can identify that makes it stand out in a crowd, and Kurenai! Had many of those qualities I felt.

Steroyd

cajunator said:
You ever watched the lingirie football league?

Nope, but I'm pretty sure that isn't as awesome as it sounds.

Toriko - 32

I hate bugs, hate them hate them and I'm hoping Tommyrod hasn't only got this long range bug spitting moving, that said looks like some big bad bug that's been foreshadowed earlier is going to come out to play.

/XX/

Anyone else here tends (or prefers) to follow episodic shows one at a time? In my case, I can't disconnect in an instant from what I saw previously, and simply find them much more enjoyable because of this, animated or not. It is like I distract easily watching another one right away, and I can't have a clearer image of them, without interferences. Or even to maintain the same mood, without forgetting how it made feel. I find it more immersive overall. Anyway, I don't know how to explain myself better...

So... what do you really like to do, guys?

Yeah, I know this is a seasonal thread to discuss a lot of series people see simultaneously, but I thought someone else would probably share this approach...

Steroyd

/XX/ said:
Anyone else here tends (or prefers) to follow episodic shows one at a time? In my case, I can't disconnect in an instant from what I saw previously, and simply find them much more enjoyable because of this, animated or not. It is like I distract easily watching another one right away, and I can't have a clearer image of them, without interferences. Or even to maintain the same mood, without forgetting how it made feel. I find it more immersive overall. Anyway, I don't know how to explain myself better...

Yeah, I know this is a seasonal thread to discuss a lot of series people see simultaneously, but I thought someone else would probably share this approach...

I can start a show, watch three other shows to completion inbetween and then pick up the show I originally started to watch again like I just watched the last episode yesterday.

Like what I've done to Utena, I think i sub conciously try to extend anime I really enjoy through fear of the overall quality of my backlog turning to shit because I watched all the good ones.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
/XX/ said:

Not to get into some awkward debate with 7th again, but it's why I treat most serialized television like a novel. Although it's possible to read a book one chapter a week, as it is to watch TV one episode a week given the current broadcast model, if I am watching a series after the fact, I tend to try to finish it as quickly as possible.

It's why I personally won't start an old series unless I really want to, because I know I'll lose a week(end) to it.

-Minsc-

Miri said:
Gintama -- Yoshiwara/Spider Arc

I can't believe I had skipped this arc, especially when it may actually be on of the better arcs in the series so far. That fight, dayum.

I can only guess that I missed it because of one of my usual marathon breaks--starting later in the series than I had actually seen. I almost did that recently here.

I'm surprised you didn't see Jiraia in the current opening and think "Who the hell is that guy?".

Ezalc

Karuta Club 7
Finally Karuta got at little interesting. Playing it like that completely destroyed Chihaya that it makes me wonder if a similar effect could happen with Arata, probably not but it'd be interesting to see. The new guy is just some generic nerd which is sad, I can see the next guy joining just because he thinks Chihaya is hot or something. Too bad this game will never be interesting given the way each card is called out. Every time I hear that shit I want to punch somebody, fucking stupid sing song-ish voice.

Ezalc said:
Karuta Club 7
Finally Karuta got at little interesting. Playing it like that completely destroyed Chihaya that it makes me wonder if a similar effect could happen with Arata, probably not but it'd be interesting to see. The new guy is just some generic nerd which is sad, I can see the next guy joining just because he thinks Chihaya is hot or something. Too bad this game will never be interesting given the way each card is called out. Every time I hear that shit I want to punch somebody, fucking stupid sing song-ish voice.

Aw, I really like the chanting. It's elegant and refined. But then, I also like liturgical chants.

Guilty Crown 1:

I feel like I just watched everything, good and bad, that represents modern anime distilled into 23 minutes. So far it feels like Code Geass again, except done by Production I.G. instead of Sunrise and prominently featuring the music of Ryo/supercell. I guess the difference between this show and the modern Sunrise production as exemplified by Sacred Seven and Horizon is that this show at least seems like it's trying not to be a parody of itself. Also, Production I.G. knows how to do 3DCG a billion times better than Sunrise does.

Hooray for every single thing in this show stolen from another show, I guess. It simplifies matters when literally everything in the show is assembled from parts of other shows. Like all shows which demonstrate the blender approach to creating the final product, the show will live and die on on how well it does whatever it's going to do.

survivor

Banned
MotionBlue said:
Good news everyone!

Kore was Zombie desu ka is getting a second season!
This anime sucked and made no sense yet I still watched it all to completion. Even the last episode where it was nothing but fanservice.

Being anime fan is suffering.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
Not to get into some awkward debate with 7th again, but it's why I treat most serialized television like a novel. Although it's possible to read a book one chapter a week, as it is to watch TV one episode a week given the current broadcast model, if I am watching a series after the fact, I tend to try to finish it as quickly as possible.

It's why I personally won't start an old series unless I really want to, because I know I'll lose a week(end) to it.

The weekly wait is one of the best parts of watching anime. Marathoning just doesn't have the same effect.

Imagine Endless Eight without the 2 months of aggravation. Booooring.

zeroshiki said:
The weekly wait is one of the best parts of watching anime. Marathoning just doesn't have the same effect.

Imagine Endless Eight without the 2 months of aggravation. Booooring.

As someone not particularly invested in the Haruhi franchise, I loved watching Endless Eight unfold. Every week there would be the cries of "Surely this must be the last one!" - but it wasn't. The slowly dawning horror that KyoAni really was going to keep this going for eight episodes... Delicious.

hosannainexcelsis said:
As someone not particularly invested in the Haruhi franchise, I loved watching Endless Eight unfold. Every week there would be the cries of "Surely this must be the last one!" - but it wasn't. The slowly dawning horror that KyoAni really was going to keep this going for eight episodes... Delicious.

The summer 2009 thread was like looking into the true face of despair.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366519

Guilty Crown 2:

Well, now I know what that BAILOUT gif from awhile back was about.

Wheelchair-moe here isn't a pretty blatant copy of Asuka. Nope. Her name won't be Not-Asuka from now on! I promise! Anyways, Not-Asuka is in a wheelchair, and is moe, and her boobs jiggle when she does anything. And she blushes. A lot.

It must take a lot of effort to copy something so exactly the way this show copies Code Geass so closely yet also be different enough that Sunrise doesn't immediately send their mecha-riding attack lawyers to assault the Production I.G. building. Yeah, Sunrise's lawyers ride in mechas. Deal with it.

7Th

Unknown Soldier said:
Wheelchair-moe here isn't a pretty blatant copy of Asuka. Nope. Her name won't be Not-Asuka from now on! I promise! Anyways, Not-Asuka is in a wheelchair, and is moe, and her boobs jiggle when she does anything. And she blushes. A lot.

What? She is literally Kallen from Geass in a wheelchair!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom