• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
scy said:
Honestly, I'm looking forward to it. I'm also looking forward to the icy grip of disappointment and loathing.

Disappointment coming from the fact anime watchers will never get to experience the greatness of Kumagawa? :(

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
icarus-daedelus said:
Mirai Nikki 1: I was promised a yandere and I got generic wish fulfilment animu wherein a completely unremarkable loner loser boy (you know, every anime protagonist ever) is, with no effort on his own part and for no particular raisin, handed special powers and a hot, quite possibly crazy popular girl with a sudden obsession for him. What a lazy premise. But, as long as it is on hulu+ and will stream to my tv, I guess I'll keep watching for the promise of murder and mayhem.
It's not that remarkable. The main character is
an empty slate. This is actually referred to several times. With Yuno, it would be easy for her to draw all over his empty slate with her own perceptions, besides, we have no idea when this started, whether it was from first sight or not.

Trust me though, this show is more wish fulfillment in the same vein as the "The Monkey's Paw" rather than Mary Sues in Animoos. That's probably why I'm enjoying it. Though it sort of takes an episode or two to really get to that concept.

scy

cosmicblizzard said:
Disappointment coming from the fact anime watchers will never get to experience the greatness of Kumagawa? :(

Disappointment in the fact that expectations will not be kept and I'll just get however many episodes it's slotted for of boobs.

Which, in retrospect, isn't technically that far off from the manga in the first place.

Jex

wonzo said:
ZvfFe.png

lmao
Too high. It needs to go lower.
firehawk12 said:
It's actually a prequel to Lost!
We don't talk about such matters in these hallowed halls.

Jex

SonicX_Zero said:
Chihayafuru 7

I hope there's more to history girl than to be the person who operates the player and that even though the episode wasn't as great as the previous ones, it was still enjoyable and that I hope Taichi can stop comparing himself to Arata.
Bah! As long he's crazy for Chihaya he'll always compare himself to Arata!! =(
Yeah, it's not good to see a character introduced and then instantly sidelined. I know it's efficient storytelling, but it feels odd.
PdotMichael said:
Patlabor TV - 3

It's nice to see an anime with so many non-cliche characters. I would say only Planetes has a similar group dynamics.
That's what I've been saying!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I will have to check to see whether I can stream it to my tv with convenience. I am lazy, you know.
Not so sure if Nico douga can be streamed to a TV, unless you are using a web browser or something.

I passed on Guilty Crown fwiw and decided I could not stand more than 1 episode.
I'm actually strongly considering dropping Guilty Crown at this point, except I heard the latest episode has
NTR
and
wheelchair moe
so I'll haft to muster up the will to watch it i guess! (2 episodes behind right now).

OT - Toxic avenger and Woman in the dunes rock! and both are better than anything this season. (well maybe the former isn't better than FATE/ZERO).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cajunator said:
Is FRactale that bad? I hear it is, but WHY is it bad? whats wrong with it?
Any youtube videos showing how its bad?
It's bad because of poor writing, which is really hard to encapsulate. Although, the end of episode 2 or 3 pretty much sums up the horribad scripting the series had.

Gintama 126

I really like the new OP. It's perhaps the most visually creative and humorous one so far.

As amusing as this episode is, I find I'm starting to tire of certain elements, particularly Shinpachi's straight man talk. I think I'll take a break after I finish this arc.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
I will have to check to see whether I can stream it to my tv with convenience. I am lazy, you know.

Although since h+ has like a hundred Criterion Collection movies on there, the real question is, why am I not watching something truly classy like Woman in the Dunes? Or a choice title like The Toxic Avenger? Because
it's easier
. :p

I passed on Guilty Crown fwiw and decided I could not stand more than 1 episode.
You're not really messing anything. The only thing really, really worth watching is Chihayafura. Fate/Zero is still good, but not as quite as good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cajunator said:
I require examples.
Yeah, the end of 2 or 3. I can't remember and I kind of don't care to check.
Oh fine, it looks like it was the end of episode 3 based on the Wikipedia entry.

At least it had an okay ED, Down by the Salley Gardens, even if it was the Japanglish version of the song.

Jexhius said:
You're not really messing anything. The only thing really, really worth watching is Chihayafura. Fate/Zero is still good, but not as quite as good.
Fate/Zero should be replaced with Tamayura, of course.

Steroyd

Stellvia - 10

AAAAAAAHHHHHH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

THE CG, OH GOD MY EYES, THEY BURN!!!

I hope I never see that mecha ever again. The CG in general is arse but that was shit with a lot of gloss.

CG aside this is something nice to watch, everything has been rather too cheerful-ish though I'm expecting tradegy at some point but I'm not entirely sure I want that.

Horizon 7

Dammit Tori, I hope this is part of your plan!

Shiro vs boob mech was awesome. Never thought I'd see someone use
economics
to win a fight like that.

wsippel

Banned
Horizon 7

It really looks like the show is finally on track. Still can't get over Tori - what the fuck was he doing? Doesn't get much more insane and random. It really reached a point where I don't know if he's some brillant mastermind deceiving everyone or just incredibly dumb and lucky. I'd say it's the former, but every time I'm sure that's the case, he does something so random that I start to have doubts. Which is cool. Also, I really love how ridiculous and imaginative the whole thing is.

cajunator

Banned
Steroyd said:
Stellvia - 10

AAAAAAAHHHHHH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

THE CG, OH GOD MY EYES, THEY BURN!!!

I hope I never see that mecha ever again. The CG in general is arse but that was shit with a lot of gloss.

CG aside this is something nice to watch, everything has been rather too cheerful-ish though I'm expecting tradegy at some point but I'm not entirely sure I want that.
SorrY I forgot to mention the CG was awful.
But the show is still cute and has a decent story and the music is god-tier.

Blader

zeroshiki said:
Is that the one with the Japanese title To Aru Hikuushi no Tsuioku? It looked interesting but seemed like your standard normal guy meets princess story. I actually looked at some reviews right now just for you and the consensus seems to be that it cut off too much from the LN source to fit into the movie and they weren't able to properly develop the relationships. The animation was also meh for a movie.

Thank you sir. Are any of these impressions you found in English?

Steroyd

Stellvia 11 - 13

Not quite tragedy, but a little drama happened I suppose.

Now, it may be because I watched too much shoujo in so little time, infact that probably is the reason, but the romance in this felt a little... sudden, I mean you start seeing hints of potential pairings off but in their infancy, then as soon as the arc finished it felt like some said ALL PAIRINGS ASSEMBLE, which makes watching the romance in episode 13 feel really weird.

Cwarrior

Black lagoon roberta's blood trail ep1

-loli maid is like a mini chun-li with big guns and the sweet voice of satuki yukino(so I don't mind).
-Insane bar fight now that’s what am talking about

Black lagoon roberta's blood trail ep2

God damn this ova is taking black lagoon to a whole new level with big improvements all round(big improvement in dialogue).

Rock is a completely different character it’s like the gap between the last time you saw him, his found his left nut, obtained the million puzzle, gained near yagami light level foresight and cancelled his subscription to low tier shounen that was polluting his mind, in the ova the stuff that comes out of his mouth has some actual thought put behind it. Even Revy’s a better character which got me thinking did they have sex? Have both of them ascended to adult hood?

Something insane building up,If I was watching this when it came out I don't know how I would have been able to waite for the next episode.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Jexhius said:
You're not really messing anything. The only thing really, really worth watching is Fate/Zero. Chihayafura/B] is still good, but not as quite as good.

Fixed.

wsippel

Banned
Cwarrior said:
Black lagoon roberta's blood trail ep1

-loli maid is like a mini chun-li with big guns and the sweet voice of satuki yukino(so I don't mind).
-Insane bar fight now that’s what am talking about

Black lagoon roberta's blood trail ep2

God damn this ova is taking black lagoon to whole new level with big improvements all round(big improvement in dialogue).

Rock is a completely different character it’s like the gap between the last time you saw him, his found his left nut, obtained the million puzzle, gained near yagami light level foresight and cancelled his subscription to low tier shounen that was polluting his mind, in the ova the stuff that comes out of his mouth has some actual thought put behind it. Even Revy’s a better character which got me thinking did they have sex? Have both of them ascended to adult hood?

Something insane building up,If I was watching this when it came out I don't know how I would have been able to waite for the next episode.
Told you so.

7Th

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-5241.html

Translator said:
Producer Yamamoto held a seminar where he confirmed everything that was speculated up to this point. Noitamina has moved away from targeting general audiences to targeting "core" fans, meaning otaku.

The cause for this switch was mainly two-fold. First of, there hasn't been many popular manga or novels recently that would attract general audiences (the oversaturation of the light novel market is mentioned as well). The solution they saw was to make anime originals (holy fuck, Japan, why didn't I think of that).

The second problem was that the time slot had moved to 12:45 in the morning, meaning they had even more problems capturing casual viewers.

Other relevant info mentioned:
- They're still in negotiation process for titles in 2013.
- Works up till now were profitable (I doubt all of them), but Noitamina is looking toward game and toy makers for future production investments.
- They want to maintain the one hour (two-episode) TV block format because they want to do more 2-cour shows (as to not be too dependent on the success of too few shows, I guess.)

It's over; anime is finished.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
7Th said:
It's over; josei anime is finished.
Time to play Secret Base, one last time.

You know, I wouldn't be so disappointed if they didn't run such shitty science fiction/nerd shows as a replacement for the lady shows. So far, the shows in the block make Ron D Moore read like "frakking" Shakespeare.

Tiger and Bunny 15

Aww, poor Sky High
killing the girl he was going after. So sad :(

Looks like big stuff we'll be happening in the coming episodes if the post credits scene is anything to go by.

Ezalc

7Th said:
It's over; anime is finished.

This is good news for all those people who enjoy the shows about little girls who are actually in highschool even though they look like they haven't reached puberty yet, doing normal things and have adventures because it's so wacky and funny. So basically cajun.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Blader5489 said:
Ah well, thanks.

Not a good year for MADHOUSE, apparently. Well, X-Men was a decent.
In terms of quality Madhouse has done some of the best stuff this year, particularly if you include REDLINE. X-men is not one of them. I would imagine the financial side is a very different story of course, with the handling of said works.

Articalys

hosannainexcelsis said:
Sad, but no real surprises here. Obviously a late-night time slot isn't going to be popular with general audiences. Anime is unfortunately in a vicious cycle right now - only otaku watch, so only shows that appeal to otaku are made, so only otaku want to watch, etc. I don't know how it'll be possible to break out of that.
Out of curiosity, given that viewpoint, what do you feel the last great "mass-market" title was?

zeroshiki

You guys are talking Madhouse this season and don't mention Chihayafuru?!

firehawk12 said:
Time to play Secret Base, one last time.

You know, I wouldn't be so disappointed if they didn't run such shitty science fiction/nerd shows as a replacement for the lady shows. So far, the shows in the block make Ron D Moore read like "frakking" Shakespeare.

I think this is key. The producer has a point that there have been a dearth of general populace targeted source material that they can adapt. They've pretty much run that well dry (I would kill for a Nazotoki adaptation though). The problem is that they've gone in the complete opposite direction and embraced super otaku. If they give more original stuff a chance, it might hit. I mean, that's what noitamina is all about, right? :(

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Man, the noitaminA news is sad.
There really needs to be more anime made for a general audience, but it seems there's no market for it anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom