• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
zeroshiki said:
You guys are talking Madhouse this season and don't mention Chihayafuru?!
While I didn't specifically bring it up, Chihayafuru and Kaiji are the some of the more notable works from any studio this year for me.

Blader

Dance In My Blood said:
In terms of quality Madhouse has done some of the best stuff this year, particularly if you include REDLINE. X-men is not one of them. I would imagine the financial side is a very different story of course, with the handling of said works.

I loved Redline, but I count it towards last year.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Blader5489 said:
I loved Redline, but I count it towards last year.
Why 2010 and not 2009? Who even knows with Redline, it will be 2012 before it even comes out in America.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
I think this is key. The producer has a point that there have been a dearth of general populace targeted source material that they can adapt. They've pretty much run that well dry (I would kill for a Nazotoki adaptation though). The problem is that they've gone in the complete opposite direction and embraced super otaku. If they give more original stuff a chance, it might hit. I mean, that's what noitamina is all about, right? :(

It's too bad the block can't exist on its own without resorting to pandering to the shittiest audience ever. :/

Blader

Dance In My Blood said:
Why 2010 and not 2009? Who even knows with Redline, it will be 2012 before it even comes out in America.

Because it came out in 2010?

I know it hit festivals or whatever earlier than that, but I never count those.

Cwarrior

Black lagoon roberta's blood trail ep3

mindexploded.gif

HOLY FASHASFJASJDHAS

Am speechless too much Awesome for the human body to handle.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Obsessed said:
People ITT are making me tempted to spoil Mirai Nikki.

Wish fulfillment my ass.
Hey, anyone who pays attention to the tone of the show will know damned well that's not the case, so just cool off, and keep the spoiler tags in the grenade...

Articalys said:
Out of curiosity, given that viewpoint, what do you feel the last great "mass-market" title was?
As far as TV shows successful with the mass market go, I don't really know enough to be able to say. (Obviously movies have Ghibli.) The evergreen family shows continue to be popular (Sazae-san, Doraemon, Conan). And there still are a few shows besides them specifically aiming for a general audience - we had Usagi Drop last season and this season Chihayafuru is carrying on the spirit of old noitamina, though I don't know if either have found a substantial audience they can make money off of.

I think there are many factors preventing anime from reaching a larger audience - the ghetto people at large place animation in, the dead-of-night TV slots, the exorbitant DVD/BD pricing, the short-team appeal of pandering to a small group of otaku who will shell out big cash. I don't have an answer to the problem, but I hope something can be found that will allow the anime industry to thrive in the future and not let its talent go to waste.

iavi

Shinichiro Watanabe needs to get off his ganja island, quit with all the trippy ops, and and make a new series already. It's the only possible way anime can be saved at this point.

Miri said:
Shinichiro Watanabe needs to get off his ganja island, quit with all the trippy ops, and and make a new series already. It's the only possible way anime can be saved at this point.

"Saving anime" gets thrown around a lot here, so it's difficult to know if someone's being serious for once. But the truth of the matter is that one show, no matter how good, isn't going to "save anime". Even if Watanabe made another Cowboy Bebop, that wouldn't solve the industry's problems.

I should say I'm not personally unhappy with anime overall this year, and I don't regret my decision to start following airing shows this spring. But I'm not short-sighted enough to think that the existence of shows that appeal to me mean that all is well. I don't believe anime is "dead" at present, but it will be in the not-too-distant future if serious changes aren't made to the way things are done.

Miri said:

I wholeheartedly support this! The man makes AMAZING things when he's involved

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why do they all sit like that with their knees touching?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
cajunator said:
Azu-nyan is worst nyan.
Hey, don't be hate'n. She's not the worst, she's just the most exploited, which frankly makes me feel like a creep even though I'm against such cynical moe-moe exploitation.

Halycon said:
Why do they all sit like that with their knees touching?
There's alot of reasons that women sit with their legs closed. Aside from the painfully obvious sexual cues, women who wear skirts and dresses tend to sit like that to keep people from looking up at their undergarments and is a less threatening posture than cross-knee. Ritsu doesn't because her personality is the "looser, sloppier, tomboyish" one. If anything it shows that they were very deliberately posed for that poster to express their personalities (and remind otaku of the moe~moe) with nothing but a visual cue.

Krev said:
Man, the noitaminA news is sad.
There really needs to be more anime made for a general audience, but it seems there's no market for it anywhere.
Despite being terrible, didn't AnoHana do really well? I remember it having high DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

airmangataosenai said:
Despite being terrible, didn't AnoHana do really well? I remember it having high DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

tbh it had a loli and a girl nicknamed Anaru
(who is basically the poster child for the hentai stuff relating to this series)

So its a decent chance that the fan base who got it are the ones they are now targeting (otakus)

duckroll

hosannainexcelsis said:
Sad, but no real surprises here. Obviously a late-night time slot isn't going to be popular with general audiences. Anime is unfortunately in a vicious cycle right now - only otaku watch, so only shows that appeal to otaku are made, so only otaku want to watch, etc. I don't know how it'll be possible to break out of that.
Krev said:
Man, the noitaminA news is sad.
There really needs to be more anime made for a general audience, but it seems there's no market for it anywhere.

The problem is not the late night slot, nor is it that there is no market for it. The problem is that you cannot want to be part of the core anime retail industry and want general audiences at the same time. The reason for this is very simple. The very business model of anime itself is a huge turn off to "general audiences" everywhere. No one who is not a hardcore anime fan would find it justifiable or "normal" to pay 70-80 dollars for a single volume of animation containing 2-3 episodes. That's 50-70mins of animated footage for 70-80 dollars, multiplied by 6-9 volumes, depending on the series. It's not even a matter of being able to afford it, it's a matter of thinking such pricing is retarded, and doing something better with your money instead.

Edit: I've decided to add more details.

FujiTV themselves would be happy with good ratings for the noitaminA slot (they have had really good ratings for a late night slot for certain seasons), but they don't pay for the full production of anime series. It would be ridiculous to expect them to foot the entire bill when advertising doesn't get them that much in returns, and they cannot rely on high home video sales at all to make it worthwhile. So the issue then turns to sponsors.

To get more programming for the slot, the producer has to work with sponsors who will fund the shows. Such sponsors are usually distributors and producers in the anime industry itself, and they're definitely going to be pushing for more otaku-friendly shows because they can more easily market these and profit off them from a) higher home video sales, b) merchandising. A huge example of this is that Aniplex is now the leading partner of noitaminA.

So that's really where the problem is. It's not that people don't want to watch anime which are targeted at general audience. There's definitely an audience for that. But they're not "anime fans", and hence it would be stupid to expect them to accept anime "standards" in terms of retail. At the same time, the anime industry is not going to risk making less money by abandoning their otaku-centric marketing and sales tactics to go after a completely different audience in retail, because that might also fail, leaving them with no audience at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom