• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiKerot

Jexhius said:
No, it's official Japanese release was in 2009.

No, the official Japanese release of Redline was in 2010 - the 2009 date was for a single screening of an incomplete print at the Locarno International Film Festival that was way in advance of it being seen anywhere else.

Toriko 32

Tommyrod is brutal.
Making your bugs lay eggs in your incapacitated comrades' bodies? Not cool, dude.

And of course Toriko is as badass as ever. Who else can use the vibrations from fucking SHIVERING to generate enough force to blow away a bunch of bugs and potentially damage the area all while keeping himself warm in sub zero environments? Manly as hell!

The reaction to Teppei being revealed as a Gourmet Reviver has me really curious. Wonder what kind of legendary status these guys apparently have.

Instro

cosmicblizzard said:
Toriko 32

Tommyrod is brutal.
Making your bugs lay eggs in your incapacitated comrades' bodies? Not cool, dude.

And of course Toriko is as badass as ever. Who else can use the vibrations from fucking SHIVERING to generate enough force to blow away a bunch of bugs and potentially damage the area all while keeping himself warm in sub zero environments? Manly as hell!

The reaction to Teppei being revealed as a Gourmet Reviver has me really curious. Wonder what kind of legendary status these guys apparently have.
Only Toriko could make shivering badass. Fun episode.

Lain

Lupin the Third: The Elusive Fog

I liked this movie, even though Lupin himself wasn't as cool as I expect him to be. Ofumi was better than Fujiko usually is. The reason Mamo does what he does is pretty laughable and the thing past the credits sealed it.

Natsume S2 8-13

During episode 9 I was almost wishing Takashi
would kick the bucket, just because it reached a point that made it simply idiotic to stop the Ayakashi from burning the painting just because he has to be so nice and good.
Other than that, I liked the rest of the episodes.
The little story about Reiko in episode 10, linking Fujiwara to Reiko, episode 11 showing other exorcists and 12-13 for Kai, and Reiko appearing on the window at the end of 13.
Now I can finally start S3.

icarus-daedelus said:
Mirai Nikki 1: I was promised a yandere and I got generic wish fulfilment animu wherein a completely unremarkable loner loser boy (you know, every anime protagonist ever) is, with no effort on his own part and for no particular raisin, handed special powers and a hot, quite possibly crazy popular girl with a sudden obsession for him. What a lazy premise. But, as long as it is on hulu+ and will stream to my tv, I guess I'll keep watching for the promise of murder and mayhem.

There are 6 episodes already aired. You should considering watching those before passing judgment on this show. You'll get all the yandere you can handle, and more. Lots more.

Lafiel said:
Why waste your time on that tripe when you can watch more Fate/Zero instead?!

You're not very nice, you know. I'm going to have use my tools~

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Chihayafuru 06: You guys weren't kidding about Kanade-chan. She's too fucking adorable. <3 Also Chihaya has some shounen no haato (and Kanade too if you know what I am saying hur hur).

Steins;Gate 16:
And Akihabara went back to being moé.
Goddammit. Great episode regarding the personal implications of time travelling. I didn't quite buy
Feyris' feelings for Kyouma
. That felt like shameless pandering to the otaku audience.

Oh, yeah, Steins;Gate. Whatever.
Hellsing321 said:
Guilty Crown confirmed for killing Anime.
What did Penguindrum save animu for if Shitty Crown was going to kill it again? :(

Thoraxes

Penguindrum saves 2 animes for every 1 animes Shitty Crown kills.
Regulus Tera said:
Steins;Gate 16:
Goddammit. Great episode regarding the personal implications of time travelling. I didn't quite buy
She
has a route
in the game, and they just kinda wanted to reflect that a little, even if it does seem kinda off.

wonzo

Banned
Chihayafuru 7

Considering the drop in production quality, I thought this was a rather enjoyable episode overall. The introduction of Tsutomu was handled in a rather half-arsed manner. Hopefully they flesh him out some more over the coming episodes. Team Sensei represent.

Tamayura ~hitotose~ 7

Man this show makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Check this shit out. It fucking owns~!

mAcOdIn said:
Eh, the show's not in that territory yet in my opinion. Landing the last blow's a pretty meaningless claim to fame when it's several against one, Sato wouldn't have been able to land the last blow if it wasn't for her and everyone knows he wouldn't have lasted long against Monarch by himself anyways. So he got the last hit, big deal. Also, I think it kinda fits with Yarizui's role in the show. She's the upperclassman and in the show she's also taken on a more direct motherly role by raising Sato and Oshiroi as new wolves. In that context some of her actions that might be considered as actions taken to cater to the male audience might actually be due to her role and her desire to enable her new packmates to grow as wolves. Perhaps she could have beat Monarch alone but after Sato came all the way down there, why bother, he needs the experience, maybe she could have still taken the bento with honor seal but maybe she really just wanted Shaga and Sato to fight?
Just because you can come up with a somewhat decent explanation for why it happened doesn't mean it's not sexist, you know... it is. You might be right that part of it is because of her wanting to train him, etc, but come on, "the MC guy finishes fights" is the way things are done in this genre, because you couldn't have a female character doing that... and I also just can't ee the male MC ending up with the honor seal bento even though Sen fought the best as anything else than based on sexism, whether or not it can be explained. Your explanation is decent, but that's the reason behind it I'm sure.

Also, while the fact that Yarizui did most of the fighting, and was the one who won the fight almost on her own, is important, that he was given the last hit definitely has symbolic value. It's not meaningless. I do agree that letting him and Shaga help out in the fight made sense, though, I'm not complaining about that part. But overall, of course that's how the genre is (sexist because of where it comes from and the audience it is for), but that doesn't mean I just accept it.

It may seem sexist in a way but it's also the theme of the show so far. Yarizui is the upperclassman and the current leader of the group, Sato is the underclassman and the newbie so it is her place to enable him and allow him to grow as a wolf. Second, we've just come off several episodes dealing with just this. The Wizard was likely her mentor, he likely enabled and trained her in much the same way she is doing now that was just all off screen. Notice how he's gone now as a third year? Now switch over to Matsy and the Monarch's side. Again, Matsy is now retired, Monarch is now pack leader and this time there didn't seem to be a clear succession and problems arose from it. I think it's clear from how the show handles those who retire as wolves departure from the scene and the effects it has on those left behind is that this show's eventual end is clearly going to be that Yarizui is not just raising Sato as a wolf for fun, or because she likes him(although maybe she does) or just because she needs three members to keep her club going it's that Sato is obviously going to succeed her, she is training her successor just as her predecessor had done before her. The Wizard? Gone. The Monarch Butterfly? Gone. And so to will the Ice Witch at some point. What I think you should take from this is that things that appear to be sexist are not always sexist. It might have been for sexist reasons that the author decided to make Sato the MC and revolve it around him as opposed to the other way around but the universe itself is not sexist as the generation before in his school the lead was a male training a female. You want to find sexism or something to be disappointed about there, I can't stop you but I think you're wrong if you do so.
Yeah, Wizard taught her to be a wolf. That story's the one the manga covers (she starts out not knowing how to fight at all pretty much). As for the MC replacing her, though... perhaps, but that'd require a Sen-MC pairing not to be the final one, which could well happen gven that she's pretty much the main girl. It isn't definite, sure, but likely? Yeah, I think so.

You are right, though, that the setting isn't entirely sexist; there are a bunch of strong female fighters in the series, as well as male ones, which is good. Fighter-girl harems in harem action shows aren't rare these days, but still, the fights and action clearly show that the female characters can be just as good as the male ones, for the most part, which is good to see.

Now that was BS. Actually, I don't mind that Sato won, from the looks of it that fight wasn't going to be some no holds barred fight with all kinds of techniques and shit just two combatants hitting each other as hard as they can until one falls, Sato can probably manage a fight like that, it's not much different from his fight the previous episode, I'm just pissed they didn't show it. Then they have the balls to reference it "why if Oshiroi had seen that fight," Oshiroi, what the fuck about us, who cares if she sees it!
Heh... it was a little annoying that they didn't show either of the other fights, but the main one took up a lot of the episode, where would they fit it in? Maybe they could have cut the earlier parts of the episode to make room, but the episode does work as it is, I think.

It's just a theme in the show, it's not entirely realistic but then nothing about the show is, but I imagine it's not so much stealth as her remaining as a noncombatant until just the right moment. Fighting in a large group like that takes a lot of situational awareness, they don't just drag in random customers into their battles so there'd be lots of chances for someone who starts off as a non-combatant at first to jump in at an inopportune time and grab your meal from under you.
A theme of the show? I guess so, but but that might be overstating it... it's just something which has happened repeatedly and without explanation. Your reasoning there could be it, I'm not sure. That's not quite as Wolflike as fighting for it is, but it's a start for sure, and she's good at it too, clearly (hence why I said she was actually a ninja or something :p).

RurouniZel said:
That's the impression I get as well. Once it became clear in Episode 01 that Sato was not going to run away from the Bento fighting, she decided that she'd take him (and Oshiroi) under her wing and train them (though Sato moreso) to succeed her. She spends a lot of time explaining everything to them, and was even waiting for them in the club room after their excursions to be there for them if they succeeded. I'm sure it's likely they'll go toward a "she likes him" route eventually, but for now I'm liking this relationship of a mother wolf raising her new cub.
She certainly is training them, yes, but why does that necessitate having him do the final hit in that fight?

Also, her novel sucks.
Her novel's fine, just for a certain audience obviously (not us, but that's the joke). The little clips we hear are stupidly amusing. :)

Articalys

Just like I randomly found Asami Imai and Chiaki Takahashi among the voice cast for The Wind Waker, I kept a close eye on the credits after finishing Twilight Princess and happened to spot more familiar names this time: Hiromi Hirata, Juri Takita, and Naomi Wakabayashi.

So that's not one, not two, not three, not four, but five of the iM@S seiyuu who happen to have bit parts in Zelda games. Small world, isn't it?

(And now that I've brushed up on my modern Zelda history, I'm ready for Skyward Sword when it comes out next week.)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
A Black Falcon said:
She certainly is training them, yes, but why does that necessitate having him do the final hit in that fight?

I dunno, I think he just happened to be in the position to take it, and the sooner they took care of Monarch the better. I'm sure if Yarizui could have taken it herself at that time, she would have.

Lain

Chihayafuru 7

Taichi was actually cool for a change, although it's all thanks to Chihaya if he had the chance to show off for once.
He gained some points with me this time.

Articalys

Sket Dance 33

Good episode. One of the better "investigation" stories, and they did some fun stuff with the camera perspective.

Next week looks like it's just two of the one-off stories with Onee-san and Roman. Slowly but surely, they're running out of stuff to use before they have to get to another backstory arc... I hope...

Lain

Bento 1

I feel like idiocy has been given proper anime form.
All that shit for a lunch-box? Man, it's just a bento!!

Articalys

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about it, but it looks like ISML just finished up with this (likely-engineered) bulllshit final result:

hwy88.png

Along with a few interesting (and overwhelmingly one-sided) exhibition matches:

gwMyk.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Articalys said:
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about it, but it looks like ISML just finished up with this (likely-engineered) bulllshit final result:

hwy88.png

gwMyk.png

Wow, the loli result is the most surprising one. :p

Articalys said:

http://i.imgur.com/hwy88.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/gwMyk.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm happy for Himari and Rin

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Articalys said:

You know, at this point, I get the impression that SaiMoe is basically contest of who the voters would want to have sex with more... >__>

Ezalc

Sket-Dance 33
I seriously doubt the one chick would have gotten laughed at, if anything girls would be asking her how she did it. Women are crazy.

Steroyd

doomed1 said:
You know, at this point, I get the impression that SaiMoe is basically contest of who the voters would want to have sex with more... >__>

You've only just noticed this now.

Body pillow man, body pillows...

7Th

doomed1 said:

If only. It's just a straightforward popularity contest.

RurouniZel

Articalys said:

hwy88.png

gwMyk.png

Wait... Subaru beat out Himari?! Man, what does Japan have against foreheads??

Articalys said:

This is perhaps the worst batch of results I've seen from ISML. Anime fans have no taste.

Articalys

Bear in mind that some of those results may be a factor of casual fans only there for the Shana/Mikoto match simply choosing the first of the two options for the matches with unfamiliar names to them. It's not consistent with previous rounds but it's still a possible theory.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Himari is not waifu material at all. Rihanna forehead, sick all the time, and comes with a bossy hat that gives you vague fetch quests.

scy

chickdigger802 said:
skimmed through the dark tournament arc of Yu yu hakusho.

God I just love tournament arcs in shounen shows. Training montages, unique oppositions.

-Training Montages and you've got me. Unique opponents and just the setup itself of Tournament Arcs are my favorite kinds of arcs. Huge cast with varying abilities, fighting styles, etc. is what I'm hoping out of Horizon and is like 99% of the reason I'm invested into it (the other 1% is all the studying I had to do to understand it in the first place~).

I need to play less Skyrim so I can catch up on my anime :(

Articalys said:

Oddly, not a single surprise out of them.

RurouniZel

Halycon said:
Himari is not waifu material at all. Rihanna forehead, sick all the time, and comes with a bossy hat that gives you vague fetch quests.

I'm confused. I get what you're saying and all, but she lost to Konoe Subaru of all people. If she had been up against, say, Suzutsuki Kanade from the same series I wouldn't have batted an eye but... Subaru?

Dresden

RurouniZel said:
I'm confused. I get what you're saying and all, but she lost to Konoe Subaru of all people. If she had been up against, say, Suzutsuki Kanade from the same series I wouldn't have batted an eye but... Subaru?
the mayo chicken girl is very very moe.

Jex

duckroll said:
I'm mentally prepared for Pendrum 19: Gotoh's Counterattack.
As someone who's re-considered episode 10 recently, it's not really a bad episode, even with it's awful art.

Jex

Aigis said:
Awful art means bad episode by default, sorry.
No, bad direction and or/poor writing lead to a bad episode.

(I'm not sorry.)
Branduil said:
Who holds a hot dog like that?

And is Mugi eating an entire bucket of fried chicken?
I think you're thinking about this too much.
Regulus Tera said:
Steins;Gate 16:
Well it certainly knows it's core audience and caters to them, but manages not to be terrible. That's quite interesting, when you think about it. I mean, the series is stuffed full of 'anime nerd character types' but the actual writing is far above that level.

Uchip

Banned
Jexhius said:
I mean, the series is stuffed full of 'anime nerd character types' but the actual writing is far above that level.

but the anime nerd character types actually made sense in their environment
the sexually ambiguous character is inexplicable though

duckroll

Jexhius said:
As someone who's re-considered episode 10 recently, it's not really a bad episode, even with it's awful art.

I don't think it's a bad episode, certainly not on the level of actual bad episodes like ep14. But I don't think it's a particularly good episode either, nor do I feel that Gotoh is a particularly good director/storyboarder/artist/animator. Since I feel that he isn't a particularly talented guy, and the last episode he solo'd on was mediocre, it is hard to look forward to another episode which is he soloing, when other more capable people could have been given a chance instead. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom