• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

mAcOdIn said:
The important thing to take away from this is that despite the disparity between Penguin Drum's direction and animation in each episode none of them are any good, so what does it matter?
I'm not sure what you mean.

Even if you, personally don't find the episodes to be 'good', it can still be said that there is some difference between the episodes themselves. They are different from one another in a number of ways, one of which is direction and another will be animation.

Episode 10 would be better if the art was far less inconsistent and shoddy. That might not make it 'good', but compared to what it is now, there would definitely be an improvement.
mAcOdIn said:
Yep, Lawrence just needed a bunch of alternating closeups with different filters whenever he's discovered a deal's gone bad or Holo's been teasing him and it'd be so much better, not.
Well, a some nicely animated close-up's on the main characters faces would have been extremely helpful, yes.

Jex

scy said:
I don't think that's how the Death Note works.
thelist2.jpg

Dresden said:
About six people did, by my count.

;________;
But at least they liked it!

Jex

worldrevolution said:
Wait wait..totally been out of the anime scene for years but a quick browse of the OP shows they're remaking HunterxHunter? The heck? Is it just like DBKai or will they continue further in the manga eventually? Starts this Sunday huh..maybe I'll watch it if nothing else is on TV.
Well, if it's successful (and why not) I imagine they'll inevitably get there. Whether it will be any good remains another question.

Jex

Dance In My Blood said:
The last two Eva episodes are memorable in the way one might remember pressing their gums to the hot metal underside of an iron.
That seems disturbingly specific. What kind of freaky anime have you been watching?
darkside31337 said:
I still have one more goal to strive for :(
I don't think you need to strive to achieve that one.
Nonoriri said:
It's true though. Despite looking ugly, and being weak overall, it's still a bit better than any spice and wolf episode.
That's a pretty harsh burn. I don't think I'd actually go that far, even as the resident Spice and Wolf complainer.

Jex

Lafiel said:
This is a pretty silly excuse; lots of old american films like billy wilder for example, have no crazy camera angles or stylized shots and consist entirely of people talking, and the direction of them isn't as lazy as the average s&w episode. Don't get me wrong, i do like spice and wolf quite a bit, but jexhius is totally on the mark with his earlier comment.
When it comes right down to it you can shoot a conversation like George Lucas, or you could get off your arse and come up with something better.

El Sloth

Banned
Steroyd said:
Sadly it isn't, however the 2nd season had better pacing than the first by a noticeable margin.
So another case of the manga being better anime? That's too bad. How about the Sket Dance anime?

That's another one for the bingo card.
Jexhius said:
Well, I was trying to write like a crazy person.
I found it came quite naturally.
Needs more pizza grease stains.

Jex

Ezalc said:
So he's trying to out-Saya Saya?
Pro-tip: Switching your name in Left 4 Dead 2 too "Saya" makes every "... protected character X" moment darkly amusing.
zeroshiki said:
Are we now comparing movies to TV shows?
Only that some TV shows are better made than some movies!

So it's just like anime, really.

Ezalc

Jexhius said:
Pro-tip: Switching your name in Left 4 Dead 2 too "Saya" makes every "... protected character X" moment darkly amusing.

I should do this, too bad I uninstalled L4D2 to make room for all the hen- tasteful art I've seen around the internet.

Jex

duckroll said:
With scenes like this, Guilty Crown is sure to save anime now and forever:
Stealing from Utena aye? I'd like if shows stole more than one piece of imagery, and they actually stole a whole approach. That would be far more interesting.
zeroshiki said:
Really? I guess I really should watch Utena, huh?
Yes, and sometime ago!

Jex

El Sloth said:
Smashing the wall of space-time/reality
is old-hat.
It really, really is.

It's like when a superhero has the power of a thousand suns - so what? That seems pretty weak. Etc.

I love it when the completely fantastical and unimaginable has been rendered mundane by genre writing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Jexhius said:
Stealing from Utena aye? I'd like if shows stole more than one piece of imagery, and they actually stole a whole approach. That would be far more interesting

There's really no reason shows like Madoka have to shame Utena even more than actually needed.

I could do without anything more than a tip of the hat to Utena in my titles.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I would be happy if I got into the list because that would mean Jexhius acknowledges my existence. <3
darkside31337 said:
There's the fairly obvious scene in Madoka that's a nod in imagery to Utena.
I'm drawing a blank here.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Regulus Tera said:
I would be happy if I got into the list because that would mean Jexhius acknowledges my existence. <3

I'm drawing a blank here.

http://i.imgur.com/w3ba1.png

There's actually a good number of similarities between the two titles.

The status of the relationships and however you'd like to define them of Anthy / Homura with the titular characters.

The symbolism and references in both series to both various fairy tales and religion.

And of course the ending is the biggest.

El Sloth

Banned
Jexhius said:
It really, really is.

It's like when a superhero has the power of a thousand suns - so what? That seems pretty weak. Etc.

I love it when the completely fantastical and unimaginable has been rendered mundane by genre writing.
Someone does something incredibly ridiculous? Superhero comics already did it first. And then probably did it a couple more times.

jman2050

Immature Female Cephalopod S2 1 ~de geso

Picking up where it left off. There is a somewhat noticable difference in style probably due to the different director, but the show isn't worse for wear.

A part: Requisite reintroduction episode, nothing else to cover here
B part: Sanae needs a therapist bad
C part: Jellyfish suck

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I tried watching an episode of S1. Couldn't make it through, was utterly terrible. Guess there will be at least 1 show this season I don't watch :(

Jex

Just in case anyone was interested in checking out some other World Masterpiece Theatre shows like Marco, Anne of Green Gables and Heidi Girl of the Alps I feel our good friend from Ani Pages sums up why they're such important works in the field of anime:

The WMT was a staple of Fuji TV's Sunday evening programming for more than 20 years, bringing to the screen a new classic of world literature every year. Their shows took a new approach towards animation - neither shoujo nor shounen, not just for children but also for the parents, without superheros, robots, magical girls, or ninjas. The one thing that united the WMT was that they were about everyday life: the excitement, drama, sorrow, happiness and transcendent beauty to be found in the prosaic things we tend to take for granted.

Isao Takahata directed three series that launched the WMT and set the tone for the rest of the series - Heidi, Girl of the Alps (1974), 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother (1976) and Anne of Green Gables (1979). They are also easily the best in the series, and for having produced these series alone, Koichi Motohashi's studio would have a firm place in anime history. They're unsurpassed masterpieces in the TV animation format, achieving depth of characterization, power of storytelling and realism of detail and directing that will probably never be surpassed in TV animation (if only because nobody seems willing or capable of doing down-to-earth realistic stories like these).

Source: http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/koichi_motohashi_and_nippon_animation

Jex

Hellsing321 said:
People not watching Utena makes me sick.
You know, I actually made a Utena thread once () and only 6 folks even posted it and then it died. Hitokage didn't even bother.

I've been trying to sell people on that show for a couple of years, but no-one bothered until Penguin Drum brought the hype-train into the station.
Regulus Tera said:
Well, you've never said anything horrendously stupid enough to require a direct comment from myself, so congratulations on your sanity!

trejo

Jexhius said:
Well, you've never said anything horrendously stupid enough to require a direct comment from myself, so congratulations on your sanity!
Every WMT anime is too ugly to be considered watchable. [C] is the best thing Nakamura has ever done. The only way to watch Utena is dubbed.

Oh, and Shaft sux.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
trejo said:
Every WMT anime is too ugly to be considered watchable. [C] is the best thing Nakamura has ever done. The only way to watch Utena is dubbed.

Oh, and Shaft sux.

Nobody has ever said any of those things seriously :(

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
darkside31337 said:
Nobody has ever said any of those things seriously :(
Some strangely positive things have been said about [C] at the very least.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hellsing321 said:
Actually each one of those has been said been said very seriously by at least one person in these threads. Except for maybe the WMT one.

Even the [C] part?

Nobody has ever said that about WMT. At least I don't remember reading that.

Steroyd

Dance In My Blood said:
Some strangely positive things have been said about [C] at the very least.

Such shame that show didn't involve the world economy in the battles, would have been alot more interesting than Yen vs Yen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom