• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

flawfuls

The Travel

This was one of those experimental animated shorts that make no sense. I think there might be a story in there somewhere, but the only thing I could get out of it was that the lady was in love with a statue or something.

rZYfz.png

I think she might have had sex with it a one point, but I'm not entirely sure.

The artwork was absolutely stunning. It didn't animate very well, but it was still a feast for the eyes.

2GBnJ.png

Some memorable moments include a guy that was eating babies out of a vagina looking thing like he eating out of a bag of chips. There was also a dude with no pants and a very well placed snake. It was a very classy film.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Much as I love Utena, I'm realistic, I can't see them ever going back and making it look any better than it does on these re-releases.

And the packaging is amazing.

wsippel

Banned
Pingdrum 11

Seems my assumptions from a couple of weeks ago were spot on, but the show decides to throw an asspull curveball. I still love the show, but I'm afraid it gets a bit too convoluted for it's own good (and my taste) by now. Japanese writers really need to learn that "more convoluted" doesn't exactly equal "better" - quite the contrary in most cases. That shit plagues all forms of Japanese entertainment, though (except maybe for hentai). I assume nobody ever tought them the KISS principle.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Penguindrum is convoluted now? I don't follow. It doesn't explain everything, but story-telling wise it has been pretty straight-forward. There are no elements in the plot that I can say are confusing.
Jexhius said:
Well, you've never said anything horrendously stupid enough to require a direct comment from myself, so congratulations on your sanity!
Swoon.
darkside31337 said:
http://i.imgur.com/w3ba1.png

There's actually a good number of similarities between the two titles.

The status of the relationships and however you'd like to define them of Anthy / Homura with the titular characters.

The symbolism and references in both series to both various fairy tales and religion.

And of course the ending is the biggest.
I'm not so sure I can say Homura is in any way similar to Anthy beyond both characters being a bit anti-social.

Hellsing321 said:
Cosmicblizzard has been very adamant that [C] is Nakamura's best work.

Oh yeah, I guess I have. I don't love [C] or anything, but it's definitely more in tune with my tastes than any of Nakamura's other work. I can't say it's objectively the best because objectivity is meaningless in the first place.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Regulus Tera said:
I'm not so sure I can say Homura is in any way similar to Anthy beyond both characters being a bit anti-social.

I didn't mean the two characters were similar at all,
just the ambiguity of their relationships with the titular characters, the notion of yuri or whether it's just a sisterly platonic type of loving going on.

wsippel

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Penguindrum is convoluted now? I don't follow. It doesn't explain everything, but story-telling wise it has been pretty straight-forward. There are no elements in the plot that I can say are confusing.
Maybe "convoluted" isn't quite the right word, but the
twins being born the same day as Ringo and the day Ringos sister died and somehow responsible for her death
is an asspull of epic proportions in my opinion. And that had to happen when one kinda predictable subplot ssemed like it was about to be wrapped up. Can't say I'm not curious, but I'm not sure that further complication was necessary considering all the lose ends the show already layed out halfway in, and I think it would have been a good idea to wrap some subplots up by now, instead of introducing even more stuff and further complicating the already established stuff at the halfway point.

Steroyd said:
I was indifferent to the whole thing.
Really? You didn't think it was any better at all than the first 11 episodes? The style was pretty different, particularly through the song part, and I thought that the "finally, she's actually playing well" aspect was good, considering how she'd been before. It was a pretty solid final episode, for a modern harem show. You don't usually see endings as clearly focused on one relationship as this one was... I like that R-15 came closer to actually having an ending than a lot of the genre does.

mAcOdIn said:
Lol, Laste Exile questions, basically, don't bother, the ending is shit, no one knows what happened.
How did Dio live from falling at that height despite him being in the ending, did that ship bring them to a nice part of the planet or a new planet, either way after it worked the two kids were back to deliver the treaty their parents were unable to deliver so if it brought them to a whole new planet the ship must be operational and a two way taxi, or the ending is just garbage, fucking garbage.
Don't bother worrying too much about the ending, maybe they'll clear it up in season two, or not, it is Gonzo after all.
Dio - Yeah, there's no explanation for how he survived, but somehow he clearly managed it... at first I thought he had died too, but yeah, that voice at the end does show that he lived.

Similarly, even though the musketeer guy also was suggested to have died, that ending showed that no, he did indeed survive, and ended up with the Disith girl. Happy ending, I like that. :)

Where they went at the end - We've argued about this before, and just like then, I still believe that what happens at the end is that the ship opens up and terraforms (or something) the planet they are already on, to make it more habitable, as it was supposed to have done when they first settled the place but didn't... but hopefully this next series will resolve this point for good, whether they are indeed still on that same planet or not, whether it did improve the place, etc. But that's what I think happened.

I love Holo, should we set up a waifu fight?
As good as Spice and Wolf was, the fact that sometimes it did feel like an economics lesson -- and I really don't like economics -- was the one negative about the series, I thought.

Anyways, I want to bitch about some crap I bought. I already bitched about RahXephon, but rest assured several more episodes in I still don't feel any better about the show.
So you're still wrong about it, then.

Also, there's El Hazard: The Wanderers, I know, a retelling of the ova, I read from a couple of places that this was ok but this is just so fucking stupid I can't imagine what those people were thinking. I need to reevaluate my fondness of humans transported to an alien fantasy world because for some reason I love the setup but can not think of a single time it's been done right.
I remember being moderately entertained by all three seasons of El Hazard, but I'm not sure which was best or worst... The Wanderers is the longest one though (the OVAs are 11 eps, and the third season 13 eps), so there is that (for good or bad). The setting of the third season (The Alternative World) is interesting, in that one they get pulled into yet another world, and are in a giant machine city style place. On that note Wanderers might be the weakest of the three seasons, sure, but it was entertaining enough to finish, certainly, at least. The cast's alright, though of course both the cast and plot are often pretty cliche. I'd say the franchise is okay, sure. It's certainly nothing great, and yes, sometimes it's really stupid, but overall it's probably okay. It can be amusing at times too.

Aigis said:
This is worse than mediocre, it's really awful art!
That art's perfectly decent, for anime artwork.

Aigis said:
At least Keyart isn't this awful:
I assume the defense is either "but at least Higurashi has a good story" or "well, it's charming because it was obviously done by someone who couldn't draw at all but they did anyway", right?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
darkside31337 said:
I didn't mean the two characters were similar at all,
just the ambiguity of their relationships with the titular characters, the notion of yuri or whether it's just a sisterly platonic type of loving going on.
Sounds fair.
wsippel said:
Maybe "convoluted" isn't quite the right word, but the
twins being born the same day as Ringo and the day Ringos sister died and somehow responsible for her death
is an asspull of epic proportions in my opinion. And that had to happen when one kinda predictable subplot ssemed like it was about to be wrapped up. Can't say I'm not curious, but I'm not sure that further complication was necessary considering all the lose ends the show already layed out halfway in, and I think it would have been a good idea to wrap some subplots up by now, instead of introducing even more stuff and further complicating the already established stuff at the halfway point.
It is a curious coincidence, but considering how adamant the show is on destiny and crap I wouldn't consider it an arsepull. Regardless, it's probably a bit early to call out on this particular plot thread, either in favour or against.

Reknoc

duckroll said:
It's not hard, considering it's the only show that has aired from this season so far! :p

Well every other show might as well not even bother airing if they're not going to be full of terrible puns! That's time that could be better spent on adverts or something that will have puns.

jman2050

Reknoc said:
This has already taken show of the season for me. I love me a gross amount of bad puns.

Or good puns.

Or any type of pun really.

Do you not have an inkling of restraint when it comes to puns?

MotionBlue said:
A promising start to the new season :D
Not sure I like the new OP, but the animation seems better than last seasons.

Still on the fence about whether Eiko's redder hair is a good or bad thing.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Regulus Tera said:
I hate being a week behind all of you because I don't wanna pay for a crunchyroll membership. :(
I pay for Xbox Live. And just started watching anime/my premium CR account because 60$ for a year is less than I spend on shitty games and meals in a month.

I don't know anything about that Fate/Zero series, but I heard Nico's video quality isn't anywhere near as good as CR's 720p?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dresden said:
In 4 days and 20 hours, your cephalogod will be dethroned:

Why am I the only one repping the greatness that this show is with an avatar?

I was on board first. Rest of you are a bunch of bandwagoners.

Jex

/XX/ said:
It was really big in France, Italy and here in Spain (specially after the success of Heidi, Girl of the Alps, although that series is not part of the World Masterpiece Theater program) where the important TV stations all were (and some still are) interested in making constant re-runs, because those works are etched into the sweet childhood memories of a whole generation.

I don't think the World Masterpiece Theater objective was to please those who are "connoisseur" or fans of the literary works, obviously, and in my opinion are more oriented to a family experience, discovering (or rediscovering) known stories in an accessible way for all, to share them together.

From what I know, in Japan the program has always been an event in itself, and not-very-succesful entries of it like Homeless Child Remi (家なき子レミ), not to be confused with Mr. Serikawa nor Mr. Dezaki animated versions of Hector Malot's story Sans Famille, had somewhat decent ratings (approx. 8-8.5% of Rating as a median, in a difficult time-slot) compared to the majority of animation shows aired at the time. Nowhere near Dog of Flanders (フランダースの犬), though... but those were other times...
Thanks for dropping some factual information, I tried searching this morning and was running into dead websites with no useful information.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
EmmanuelMunoz said:
I used to think "Hey, that Jexhius is a stand up guy."

Not anymore....not anymore

I expected some really pristine penmanship. I really don't know why but I certainly did not get it. Biggest disappointment of the fall season thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom