• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Queen Emeraldas 4]

Well, as the final episode of the OVA its only fitting that dive a little further into Emeraldas’ backstory. I say a little because it really is only a small glimpse into one specific event. For the most part this whole OVA hasn’t concerned itself with discussing who Emeraldas is or where she came from. Neither is there any attempt to explain who the various factions are that reside in this universe – it just seems to be assumed that you’re familiar with who everyone is. Which is kind of cool, actually. It feels like the characters exist in a universe that is populated with a variety of factions of suspiciously similar women) but none of it needs to be explained for the show to be enjoyable.

Anyway, I found the previous episode to be more entertaining, what with all the crazy action sequences, but this was still good. It certainly made use of some powerful, iconic imagery.

queenemeraldas4.jpg

All in all this is a great, short OVA series for anyone that wants to experience some ‘retro anime’ without actually watching an old shows. The production values and directorial approach here is very modern, even if the material, tone, characters and plot are a complete throwback.

Go_Ly_Dow

Expanding on those demographic percentages that were posted a few days ago.

According to Ure Pia magazine, Ascii Research Institute has released a comparative analysis of K-ON! fans. They concluded that the anime has appealed to the general public, especially young women, who don't watch anime frequently.

The sex ratio of anime fans of four titles

37% of K-ON! fans are women while women make up only 10% of Strike Witches 2 fans.

Percentage of people who don't watch anime frequently

15% of the audience of K-ON! anime don't watch other anime frequently, while all the audience of Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica anime watch other anime as well.

Age distribution of K-ON! fans

K-ON! fans show a wide range of age distribution. People in their 20s have the largest population both in male and female fans.

7nDKy.jpg

Source

Does this make K-ON! fans, hipsters? (not sure if that's the correct term!)

Lain

Lupin III: The Fuma Conspiracy

I have almost no complaint with this movie. I liked the character designs, the animation and the story.
Lupin got to show off some nice marksmanship with his gun, which is something I used to see back in the TV series but I didn't get to see in the previous movies I watched.
Zenigata shown in the credits at the start in a Buddhist temple was funny, but the cake in this movie were the car chases. The first one was short and sweet, while the second one was big, crazy and hilarious.
Sucks for poor Murasaki how
Goemon walks away at the end, but it's cool that she's hopeful he'll come back for her.
Oh, and Fujiko was cool. I prefer it when she
isn't backstabbing Lupin.

Jex

Oh god.

But I'm really not feeling it. I'm generally not a first impression kind of person when it comes to anime, but this one is working hard.

I have to echo the general consensus that Gintama really gets better as it goes along. You'll see if you stick with it for a few episodes.

Hunter x Hunter R 9

Heh, Kazuki Yao fits Majitani's very well. Wasn't expecting him to show up in this adaptation.

Next episode will be decisive to say the least.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Normal sociable people have bad taste, shocking!

Alternatively, fat neckbeards obsess over the idea that they are "superior" due to the "depth" of the shows they are watching, while Normal, sociable people prefer to avoid the pretense and just be entertained.

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

Dresden

Alternatively, fat neckbeards obsess over the idea that they are "superior" due to the "depth" of the shows they are watching, while Normal, sociable people prefer to avoid the pretense and just be entertained.

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

quiet thyself, neckbeard

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The Blu-ray MEMORIAL BOX of Future Boy Conan I mentioned some time ago (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30536747&postcount=19772) is now out. You can see some pictures of it here:

宮崎駿「未来少年コナン Blu-rayメモリアルボックス」が届いたー♪(ただいまスクリーンショット掲載中):録画地獄:So-net blog
http://catalina.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2011-11-26-5

And the best thing is that it includes a true 16:9 aspect ratio option, without the image being stretched, I didn't expected that.
Wow, that looks fantastic!

On another note, I always wished Conan was a bit of a jerk.

jman2050

I want to believe this is self-deprecating humor, but I don't know if I should give you that much credit!

Shouta

HxH '99 47

I think I'm around 47 or so. Anyway, one episode before the OP change, just dealt with Kurapica and his Nen. Mito finally talked to Gon about Ging. Watching the show is making me miss cel animation again (but so do most cel animated shows). Heaven's Arena had some really nicely animated fight scenes especially Gon vs Hisoka. Kind cut/rearranged a few things compared to the manga but it works incredibly well.

duckroll

Understood, and I remember seeing similar opinions about that. So, basically they explained all the necessary context in the first episode? I suppose that is in part good for people like me that don't know much about this show's universe, and if later the series goes smoothly I don't really mind.

Thanks for the answer, trejo!

Ep1 is 45 minutes of people talking to each other about the premise. It's awesome.

7Th

Expanding on those demographic percentages that were posted a few days ago.

7nDKy.jpg

Source

Does this make K-ON! fans, hipsters? (not sure if that's the correct term!)

So, Madoka is the perverted niche shit that is killing anime while K-ON! is the messiah that is breaking barriers and saving anime. Good to know.

So, Madoka is the perverted niche shit that is killing anime while K-ON! is the messiah that is breaking barriers and saving anime. Good to know.

Considering that Madoka swept 2011 Japan Saimoe, actually this is correct. People who like Madoka are the perverted otakus. People who like K-ON are the mainstream.

At least I know why The Disney Channel in Japan is airing K-ON now.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Haven't watched that yet. I'm buying them as they're coming out once a week as part of a collection.
It'll be the 23rd of December before I get to that one. Is it that bad?!
Eh, I thought it was watchable enough. It's not that good either though.

woah! that's cruel. Pixiv has just two(!) pictures of Megumi Morisato. What's wrong with you Japan? She is cute and mechanical engineering student, so she is perfect!

But for some reason I'm now in Oh! My Goddess fever but I don't know if I should watch the anime or just read the manga.

HxH '99 47

I think I'm around 47 or so. Anyway, one episode before the OP change, just dealt with Kurapica and his Nen. Mito finally talked to Gon about Ging. Watching the show is making me miss cel animation again (but so do most cel animated shows). Heaven's Arena had some really nicely animated fight scenes especially Gon vs Hisoka. Kind cut/rearranged a few things compared to the manga but it works incredibly well.

Yeah, a bit gets rearranged here and there, but it's nothing significant until the end of Greed Island which has a very weird cut for the end considering what happens in the manga.

Mononoke 3-5

This arc was much easier to follow than the first arc. Considering that the Bakeneko arc in Ayakashi was also easier to follow than the first arc, and the same thing happened in Trapeze between the first and later episodes, I must conclude that Nakamura deliberately decided to make these two shows difficult to get into for whatever reason.

Toriko 32

I love the animated choices for Toriko's punches that ten fold and the pause and actually counting them. With this quality I dont think I would be rushing through the manga anytime soon (stopped at beginning of BB Corn).

Gourmet Cell is definitely one of the top tier augments Ive seen, I dont even think it has any side effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom