• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

I know we're joking and all, but the amount of crossover marketing for K-On is insane right now. These are basically K-On happy meals from Lotteria.

CXd7C.gif

Commercials and actual ads in movie theaters make this seem bigger than even normal live action movies.

Instro

Toriko 32

I love the animated choices for Toriko's punches that ten fold and the pause and actually counting them. With this quality I dont think I would be rushing through the manga anytime soon (stopped at beginning of BB Corn).

Gourmet Cell is definitely one of the top tier augments Ive seen, I dont even think it has any side effects?

Well, gourmet cell people have to keep up a super high calorie intake or they die.

Well, gourmet cell people have to keep up a super high calorie intake or they die.

Oh, then that explains why Toriko and others have to eat so much.

Horizon 8

Nice debate episode, however there is no way they can accomplish what Honda Masazumi suggested in the remaining episodes, which will be tough. I wish it had a longer season or more episodes as, the anime is pretty decent now.

7Th

Wait, is that true? I would never have pegged him as a fan of pantless, jet-legged moe anthropomorphizations of WWII fighter planes.

Yep; Kazuhiro Takamura, Strike Witche's director and ex-Gainax animator, even celebrated in his blog that Hideaki Anno praised his show and asked for the DVDs.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Wait, is that true? I would never have pegged him as a fan of pantless, jet-legged moe anthropomorphizations of WWII fighter planes.

He's Hideki Anno. I'd be more shocked to learn he wasn't. Truthfully, there are two kinds of people who like that show: those who like it because panties, lolis, and moe (i.e., creeps), and those who like it on a more meta level. There's a certain audacity to a show that by premise is basically nothing more than blatant exploitation of the mecha musume moe genre and yet somehow manages to hold a level of narrative cohesion. It's kind of like Hetalia and it's constant yaoi-bait. Sadly I can't really appreciate this, largely because even acknowledging Strike Witches even exists makes me feel guilty as a male anime academic/consumer.

NewFresh

He's Hideki Anno. I'd be more shocked to learn he wasn't. Truthfully, there are two kinds of people who like that show: those who like it because panties, lolis, and moe (i.e., creeps), and those who like it on a more meta level. There's a certain audacity to a show that by premise is basically nothing more than blatant exploitation of the mecha musume moe genre and yet somehow manages to hold a level of narrative cohesion. It's kind of like Hetalia and it's constant yaoi-bait. Sadly I can't really appreciate this, largely because even acknowledging Strike Witches even exists makes me feel guilty as a male anime academic/consumer.

I don't believe this for a second.
As a male anime academic I do hereby the declare that Meguca > K-On.

As a student of Anime Academia I must concur.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Where were you when I was talking about this last week?
I just listened to the full single today.

The third track, daihinmin, is amazing too.
So, Madoka is the perverted niche shit that is killing anime while K-ON! is the messiah that is breaking barriers and saving anime. Good to know.
I'm checking K-ON! next to offset my top five animeGAF position!
As a male anime academic I do hereby declare that Meguca > K-On.
And by that you mean inside your pants am i rite?

Dynedom

Man, I really should not have re-watched Legend of Galactic Heroes. Just about everything I watch for the next few years is going to pale in comparison.

Gintama 138

It is a well-known fact that the only things Westerners know how to say are "Oh my God" and "Fuck you".

If you can say those two things, you pretty much cover 90% of situations where you might need to say something instead of remain silent and listen.

Ben-To 5:

Uh...so they are trying to have like an actual story arc now? Honestly I don't think this is such a good idea, but whatever. Whatever excuse they need to have a glorious supermarket brawl over half-priced lunch boxes, I suppose.

This show's OP is both stupidly catchy and fits the show's material perfectly.

Ben-To 6:

1237405116480-1.jpg

Oh, good. They didn't try too hard to have a dumb-serious storyline. This is what really killed Ikkitousen, after all. You can't take this kind of thing too seriously, it just doesn't work. Fortunately, they not only didn't take it too seriously, they had a glorious fight at the end.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
heads up for everyone that all 5 seasons of Dragon Ball are available on Amazon for $61.45 total.

That's 153 episodes of goodness.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
How long is Tytania? I remember watching it up until a certain point and having it end abruptly.

Crest of The Stars is amazing though. Love the soundtrack too.

But yeah, Legend of Galactic Heroes is top notch. Reuenthal for President.

Ben-To 7:

I'm getting kind of tired of talking about how glorious this show is. But every time I think the show can't get any more glorious, it manages to top itself. The whole show is mainly about shockingly well-animated fight sequences and fanservice already, so what's special about a pool episode? Well, since this show is ABOUT fighting and fanservice, in order to make a pool episode stand out from the regular fighting and fanservice, they need to dramatically increase the awesomeness of the fight sequence by having it IN the pool, and they need to have a swimsuit literally explode off a girl's chest in the middle of the fight! SUCH UNBELIEVABLE GENIOUS!

Also, a random girl voiced by Kana Hanazawa has made cameos in this episode and a previous one. I think she's supposed to be relevant later, but every time she says something I have a :cajun moment. Also, the Ice Witch in a swimsuit. :cajun x 10^100

The show itself is remarkably well-directed and animated, especially considering it can't have had that big a budget. The work put into the fight sequences in each episode is very impressive, especially when you consider how this show is basically Ikkitousen with lunch boxes. Ikkitousen had some pretty crummy fight animation by comparison.

The director has snuck in some very interesting framing and camera angles as well, and I'm not even talking about Sato's male gaze. I've noticed several interesting shots, one from underwater inside a bowl of ramen, one where the character speaking is out of focus in the background and her face is shown inside glasses in the foreground, one where the character is out of sight and you see just her reflection on the polished floor speaking. Whoever the director is, he clearly is putting some artistic touch on a show that by all rights should have no artistic merit whatsoever.

The whole thing feels like the staff are giving it their all, something you might not expect from an unknown studio only recently founded by former Gonzo staff. Contrast that with how everything J.C. Staff does feels half-assed and there's just no comparison. There's a lot to be said for :effort when it comes to producing a mass-media product, and this show certainly shows the :effort put into it in the surprisingly good and entertaining result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom