• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Fate/zero 9

Cringed a bit when
Sola-Ui went full yandere (or something) on Kayneth there. Somehow I doubt she intends to honor her promise to Lancer -- who, by the way, is now even more awesome thanks to that flashback/memory at the beginning

I hate to repeat myself from last week, but I love this show so much the winter season break is going to be agonizing.

mAcOdIn

I think they're only 4 episodes left? Might as well after having come this far.
Might as well what? Drop it? I agree.
It's kind of funny, how fast that went from being my surprise hit of the season to being my disappointment of the season.
Yeah, but in reality, only hits can really disappoint you.
Wait, you actually drop stuff? I assume you just stopped writing about it.
That was the old me with no self respect, the new me happily drops shit. Ben-to I will probably give one more shot though.
Also, Kizurui is :cajun ^ 1,000,000
Who the hell are you talking about? Yarizui?

Thoraxes

It's Mr. Snifflenuggets. I've already started spreading it around.
Well, I guess it's better than being named Hentai.

Same here, I fought and emerged victorious with a 46" TV. Watched The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya on it last night. Absolutely stunning!
I too got that TV! Is it the one from Target that was on sale for $298? Additionally I snagged a Kindle, UC2 and Heavy Rain for $10 each, $65 60GB SSD, and some misc movies and blurays nice and cheap. I should probably watch Disappearance on it as well! (before I bought the SSD, I made out under $400 (15% discount on it all)).

I just slept in till 4 in the morning, drove to BB picked up UC3 and some cheap blu-rays, walked to GS and bought some games on sale and walked out with basically nobody else in the store.

That's like the logical thing to do.

Kind of like how people should just buy the bentos when they are at full price. I'd imagine the hospital and dental bills, not to mention the whole they should be arrested thing, cost a hell lot more money then saving a couple hundred yen on a damn boxed lunch.
It's about the hunger, man. You don't know what it's like to fight with that hunger in your stomach. Us wolves have pride and the hunger, and as Mr. Snifflenuggets, I may be willing to show you the way.

Steroyd

Ben-to any good? Thinking about picking up that too. So far I'm committed to Guilty Crown, Persona 4, Gintama, Young Justice, and finishing Infinite Stratos - because I predicted it would be the show to save anime, and I will believe when the rest lose hope.

Damn son, forget about saving anime, you need to save yourself first.

What is Penguin Drum about?

That's the best part we don't know, the only way to describe it is with a list of keywords.

Penguins, SEIZON SENRYAKU, stalker, destiny, fabulous max, Yuri, electrifying, lolwut, mind blown, Ikuharadickinmouth.

Thoraxes

What is Penguin Drum about?
Besides the general "We have no fucking clue now, all of our predictions are almost 100% always wrong, but it's fun as hell and relentlessly saves anime week after week!" statement, this:

ikuhara.jpg

At the end of Penguindrum, i'm going to make a mega post of as many incorrect predictions that I can find that we made. It's quite possible I will take up 5 posts to do it at this rate.

BluWacky

The J-Star thing? I'm supposed to be hitting that later today...

That's the one! I will be very interested to see what you think of the YKBX music videos for Amazarashi...

Oh feck, If I'd known about this, I'd have booked an earlier train. Kings Cross to Barbican in 15 minutes is probably a bit too much of a push...

Doesn't sound like it's worth it, and getting to the Barbican is a pain in the arse when you actually have time to do so. The DVD/Blu-ray is out next month anyway so if you really want to see it you could just pick it up then.

Fate Zero 9

Its really great to see Waver and Rider again and not to mention they have their share of the action as well. Pffft damn Sola wants Lancer all for herself. D:

Phat CER0 8-9

Man, this show has really turned itself around. My one complaint is that even though this is supposed to be a war between the most powerful wizards in the world and their legendary hero partners over a magical ancient artifact capable of granting the victor any conceivable wish, no one has actually killed anyone yet. How many more times are they gonna pull that "I'll get you next time!" trick out of their hats? It's starting to get real old.

The Waver and Rider duo is by far the best.
There have only been 2 major battles so far and not to mention the first one got crazy since there were 5 servants all together, and the 2nd one did have a significant development in the war. I dont really see what the problem is.

DiGiKerot

Doesn't sound like it's worth it, and getting to the Barbican is a pain in the arse when you actually have time to do so. The DVD/Blu-ray is out next month anyway so if you really want to see it you could just pick it up then.

Yeah, I looked up some of the reviews then suddenly realised it's something I purposely forgot about after hearing it getting panned on... I think it was ANNCast. Absolutely not worth getting stressed about missing, from the sound of things, particularly given I'd never make it to the NFT afterwards.

Steroyd

Ben-To - 08

Now that's dedication to a games console.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) - 09

Uhm....

Next episode comparing to original series spoilers -
Depending on how they do the next episode, have they done a plot hole already? In the original the crux of the 4th prisoner's delaying tactics is that the 3rd prisoner didn't say he surrendered or was confirmed dead, but he said he surrenders just before Kurapurika one shotted him.

Steroyd

Toriko - 33

I quite liked this episode, except the 5 minute infodump on why Toriko is a tree.

Still I hope Tommyrod will die already cos' I despise bugs that much.

/XX/

Fate/Zero Ep9

This is my new favorite episode. The character interactions, the dramatic turns, the way the show builds connections between characters and develops relationships. SO GOOD. This week's art is extra good too, and most of the character close ups looked gorgeous. The direction of the episode and how it weaved various elements of the story together were masterful. Goddamn.

Just watched it and I totally agree.
The inclusion of Lancer's "legend" was a nice touch as well.

Phat CER0 8-9

Man, this show has really turned itself around.

Fate/zero 9

I hate to repeat myself from last week, but I love this show so much the winter season break is going to be agonizing.
Now I'm starting to think that I should be watching this show, but... is this specific series newcomers-friendly? I don't know anything about the franchise so I wondered if I first need to play the games or see the other series and all that.

I've seen that this is a prequel, and I think a character-driven show based on some opinions, but I thought that maybe it revolves around certain lore or events the spectator is supposed to previously know. Sorry, I didn't want to spoil myself searching for information, so this is why I ask here.

trejo

Now I'm starting to think that I should be watching this show, but... is this specific series newcomers-friendly? I don't know anything about the franchise so I wondered if I first need to play the games or see the other series and all that.

I've seen that this is a prequel, and I think a character-driven show based on some opinions, but I thought that maybe it revolves around certain lore or events the spectator is supposed to previously know. Sorry, I didn't want to spoil myself searching for information, so this is why I ask here.
No previous knowledge of past works in the franchise is required, as far as I can tell. In fact, some people would say it's actually an advantage. Just keep in mind that the first episode is a terrible infodump shit episode of the highest caliber. It does what it can to establish the world, characters and premise but goes about it in the worst possible way.

/XX/

No previous knowledge of past works in the franchise is required, as far as I can tell. In fact, some people would say it's actually an advantage. Just keep in mind that the first episode is a terrible infodump shit episode of the highest caliber. It does what it can to establish the world, characters and premise but goes about it in the worst possible way.
Understood, and I remember seeing similar opinions about that. So, basically they explained all the necessary context in the first episode? I suppose that is in part good for people like me that don't know much about this show's universe, and if later the series goes smoothly I don't really mind.

Thanks for the answer, trejo!

I... I only have 237 posts in this thread. No wonder I've nothing of a rep here. I must remedy this.

Yeah, I've done little other than lurk. I dunno, just not that much to say right now with Ben-To being mediocre this week and Shana.... I dunno about this one. I'm not going to drop it but I don't like it at all. I thought this was going to be a return to form for the series but maybe there was nothing to return to? I remember liking season 1 but maybe I just had low expectations back then.

NewFresh

Pretty Singer Sailor Moon Ep.14

Much like Usagi, Hitokage
has been turned into a youma by Kunzite.
It explains everything.

Sucks that an awesome karaoke party turned sour when Usagi partied too hard. She should have paced herself.
Side note: How does Ami have all this medical equipment in her apartment?

I had goosebumps when Ami-chan started crying ;_;

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Emmanuel: That episode has
one of the most blatant uses of plot armor ever. Even the other characters were surprised and confused, hahaha.

Bakuman 2 ep 9
tumblr_lvbs75xIGI1qaben4o4_400.gif

They should have at least done an ova or something for both the Detective Trap anime and the Crow anime, both are so good. I love Crow's design. The episode was an emotional rollercoaster with monochrome rainbow actually fitting in well. I hope Aoki remains in the plot and Nakai leaves.

NewFresh

Emmanuel: That episode has
one of the most blatant uses of plot armor ever. Even the other characters were surprised and confused, hahaha.

Everyone looked so confused.
One second "Oh no! Usagi is a Youma, we have all failed!*Tears*

Cut to: Usagi wakes up and yawns.......amazing :eek:

Mononoke 1-2

I continue to be impressed at how effective Nakamura's choppy directing style is, especially since I normally prefer a smoother one.

My Dearest by supercell: Anime song of the year? Anime song of the year.

No way. As I've said before, it's not even a particularly good supercell song. The two MPD opening songs, Nornir and Shounen yo Waga ni Kaere, are much better.

C3 ep 9
kirika_ueno_c3_op_2_by_tristtrist-d4hh31q.gif

Kirika Ueno focused opening is pretty awesome. The first villain of the series continues to be difficult for any of the other antagonists to stand up against, however, I think I like the new one.

/XX/

The Blu-ray MEMORIAL BOX of Future Boy Conan I mentioned some time ago (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30536747&postcount=19772) is now out. You can see some pictures of it here:

宮崎駿「未来少年コナン Blu-rayメモリアルボックス」が届いたー♪(ただいまスクリーンショット掲載中):録画地獄:So-net blog
http://catalina.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2011-11-26-5

And the best thing is that it includes a true 16:9 aspect ratio option, without the image being stretched, I didn't expected that.

DiGiKerot

That's the one! I will be very interested to see what you think of the YKBX music videos for Amazarashi...

Hahahaha *sigh*

Someone really likes video games. Someone really, really likes Valkryia Chronicles, though clearly not enough to rip of the visual effects wholesale in a single work.

The visual dissonance in Christmas bugged the hell out of me in particular - even before you take into account the VC-style canvas texture applied over everything, the children's doll look of the heroine, the celshading and the peculiar looking special effects (by which I mean the smoke and condensed breath) are ill at ease with each other. It doesn't mesh at all, and I'm inclined to think that the textured look is intended to obfuscate both that fact and the other shortcomings in the animation.

Anomie (which totally uses VCs pencil shading) is, at least, rather more technically convincing, but again feels really disparate (particularly when they start bringing in elements from Christmas). I'm not really sure what they were going for with the character design for the girl - she has very European, very Childrens novel illustration-esque facial features, but from the neck down has the body of a typical anime heroine, which is just disorientatingly weird. Whilst I can appreciate what they were probably trying to go for with the grime filter they applied over it, I don't really think it does it any favours, resulting in something that just looks way too busy for it's own good.

(Also, FFVII was so ages ago)

(It's not anime, but I did find Tsuchinoko amusing, and if someone told me Copy was the OP from some Shaft production I'd never heard of I'd be inclined to believe them)

The Blu-ray MEMORIAL BOX of Future Boy Conan I mentioned some time ago (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30536747&postcount=19772) is now out. You can see some pictures of it here:

And the best thing is that it includes a true 16:9 aspect ratio option, without the image being stretched, I didn't expected that.

but the 16:9 looks cropped.

Jex

Darn, that really looks excellent. It's certainly a work I'd like to have in my collection.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Give it a couple episodes. The first handful of episodes are Ryan Anderson quality.

Oh god.

But I'm really not feeling it. I'm generally not a first impression kind of person when it comes to anime, but this one is working hard.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing 7

Holy fuck, Shit just got real. Are you happy now Elzac? Fam and Giselle not only got their
failure, they got a fantastic failure that nearly cost Fam the only family she's ever known and Giselle her real family. Provided, I kind of wish that at least one of the named Sky Pirate vespa pilots took some flak shrapnel, send the message home a bit, but if that wasn't a spectacular failure, I don't know what was. And now they're set up in an even MORE problematic situation than "I'm begging to be ambushed" Canyon. This time it's open sky with nowhere to run! They'll get out of this one, they have to in some respect, but again, it's going to be hard and stressful. Probably work some sort of temporary distraction that lasts long enough for them to bolt to the border of that northern country that doesn't distinguish between friend and foe. A segue into Claus and Ravie's appearance perhaps?

But here's the thing that really makes me like Fam, it's not just she's hotheaded, but she's able to keep that hotheadedness when she's under some pretty extreme pressure and stress. This, conversely, keeps her cool and able to act swiftly and decisively despite having every reason to freak out like a normal anime protagonist would
and how Giselle did when she saw her father's ship almost get blasted from the sky
. It's really cathartic to see them pull it together despite their terrible odds. As time goes on, this show gets better and better, and I'm really excited to see where it goes from here.

Also, loli-Hitler, child leader of the Sky Nazis, is the best villain this season. It's like she actually believes in fascism and that it's good for everyone!

Oh god.

But I'm really not feeling it. I'm generally not a first impression kind of person when it comes to anime, but this one is working hard.

I thought the first few episodes of Gintama were a good introduction to the cast of characters, but the show does get stronger later. Why don't you check out episode 79 or 98? Even without having the context of the preceding episodes, they'll give you a pretty good idea what kind of humor you can expect down the line.

Jex

[Queen Emeraldas 3]

While I found the last two episodes of this OVA enjoyable it didn’t really rock my world. I thought they were a neat throwback to a simpler time. What’s so different about episode 3?

GIANT METAL SPACE HORSE!

queenemeraldas31.jpg

METAL MEN WITH CAPES!

queenemeraldas32.jpg

These are the kind of hooks that work for me: a seriously crazy antagonist and his giant robot horse of death. Cool.

Like the other episodes in this series, Emeraldas herself takes a back seat to the action for much of the episode, largely because she’s over powered – there’s no set limit on what her ship can dish out or take. It’s more interesting to focus on the other characters. Which in this case, is the kid.

Normally this would be pretty groan-inducing – it’s the plucky kid trying to make his way in an adult world and grow up fast. However, unlike most characters of that type he’s genuinely hands-on and effective – he doesn’t necessarily need a lot of help from others. He’ll just charge on out with his sweet Cosmo Dragoon (a classically designed space revolver) and take on the bad guys – which is actually pretty awesome.

I think the pacing this episode was really strong too – right from the outset the scenes were moving along at a brisk speed and they managed to convey all the relevant backstory and character in a short running time. Admittedly, this kind of show has very broadly drawn characters to begin with and coupled with the fairly basic plots that usually means the story can be told fairly efficiently.

More importantly than the nitty gritty, the brisk editing combined with visually exciting subject matter made the whole episode pretty darn cool.

Steroyd

I thought the first few episodes of Gintama were a good introduction to the cast of characters, but the show does get stronger later. Why don't you check out episode 79 or 98? Even without having the context of the preceding episodes, they'll give you a pretty good idea what kind of humor you can expect down the line.

Ignore this man and go for episode 25, and then listen to him.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Will do.

err... episode 25 it is then!

Go_Ly_Dow

Persona 4 - 8

Fun episode. Camping trip was one of my favourite days in the game, so it was nice to see it handled this well. Wasn't expecting to laugh as much as I did. Also liking Kanji's Japanese VA (Tomokazu Seki) .

Can't believe Kugi-loli is coming next episode. My ears are ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom