• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

I guess I'll give it a shot... I'm kind of afraid of following the crowd ever since that K-On thing a while back.

K-on didn't have penguins, stalkers, terrorism, or references to Silence of the Lambs and Clint Eastwood. Or good music.

Ippo would drop Link in the first round. Link lacks a heart of burning passion and the eyes of a champion.

It's hard to beat a guy with fairies, though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Don't do it. Its just not worth it. I used to believe in good shows and bad shows. Now all I want to know is if a show rocks hard enough.
After you've seen what we've seen, the only meaningful distinction is between entertaining and boring/off-putting.

I guess I'll give it a shot... I'm kind of afraid of following the crowd ever since that K-On thing a while back.

Ippo would drop Link in the first round. Link lacks a heart of burning passion and the eyes of a champion.

Link sumo wrestles Gorons for fun. Ippo would get owned

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Like the difference between Mad Bull and Penguindrum.

After you've seen what we've seen, the only meaningful distinction is between entertaining and boring/off-putting.

Every time I think I understand you, you do something to completely throw me off. Bravo.

Ben-To 3:

In my training to become a wolf, I have to learn of the glory of the solo hunt. Despite what real wolves do in nature, in the world of half-priced supermarket lunch boxes, hunting in packs gives you no satisfaction, no joy in the hunt. Only by fighting alone against odds beyond the human mind's ability to fathom can a wolf truly earn his meal! And that meal will be glorious!

I don't even know why I'm enjoying this as much as I am. The premise is so thin that you need an electron microscope to see it, the characters seemingly exist only to drive the narrative to a point where people can have Super Smash Bros. Brawl in the supermarket over half-priced lunch boxes, and every single camera angle which contains a female character contains gratuitous glorious fanservice. But the result is completely and unexpectedly amazing. Also, every time Kizurui appears on the screen I have a :cajun moment.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Which would win: Black Muscles or Goron Muscles?

Jex

Hunter x Hunter (1999) 1-17

So, I have actually never watched much of the original HxH anime because I was reading the manga at the time. I decided to do so when I was watching the new one on TV the other day and man, the '99 version is like 10x more fun and enjoyable to watch. Everything is better and it's cel animated too which makes it so pretty. The 2011 version so well, uh... 2011 that it actually kinda hurts. Also, Ohayou was an awesome and catchy OP and worked well rearranged inside the show.

Hmm, this is certainly a good time to go back and check out how great the original adaptation was.

Jex

Phat CER0 8-9

Man, this show has really turned itself around. My one complaint is that even though this is supposed to be a war between the most powerful wizards in the world and their legendary hero partners over a magical ancient artifact capable of granting the victor any conceivable wish, no one has actually killed anyone yet. How many more times are they gonna pull that "I'll get you next time!" trick out of their hats? It's starting to get real old.
This was my complaint last week as well and I also find it tiresome, considering how everyone can pull incredible healing out of a hat I'd assume these guys would finish people off rather quicker and more...beneficently.
For the two of you that may be interested, I went to the BFI's onedotzero festival Japanese segment in London this evening, which showcased contemporary short films, music videos etc.[...]
Apparently this uses an old animation technique known as Phenakistoscope to create the illusion of motion.
Kouske Sugimoto's The TV Show - this is particularly good and accessible, a very fun short film about what happens when TV shows collide.
The TV Show has been out for ages and it's still pretty damn good.

You're a brave man, taking on 400+ episodes at once. :O

Nah, he's cool. He likes Persona 4: The Animation.

Ben-To 4:

sheer_awesome.jpg

I need to go to take a shower and go to bed now. My journey from a barking dog to a mighty wolf will have to wait until tomorrow.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
You should really watch something you haven't seen before, especially if it's as excellent as Gintama. Still Gintama is really, really long.

I went through all of LoGH in 2 weeks or so. I'm pretty good with knocking stuff out fast when I get into the mindset. The only issue with marathoning is that some shows don't really marathon well. Hard to describe, but some shows are better in bulk than others.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I would've hopped straight into my backlog but when I heard that Persona 4 had actually started, I had to drop everything. Went out and bought a PS2 just for it. I was going to try and knock it out fast but it was so good and I had to breathe it in because I knew how sad I'd be at the end.

That being said, the show isn't all that bad. After the Xenosaga anime? Yeah, I'm satisfied and eternally grateful.

Jex

Mouryou no Hako was good, I really enjoyed. 8/10, would watch again. I want there to be more horrorish animus that aren't super terrible. Or more horror anything that isn't super terrible. If fictional people be horribly mutilated: :salute
*alarm bells ring*

Wait, another person has seen Mouryou no Hako? The numbers of people who've liked it may now be in double figures!

I like how
the opening scene of the first episode takes place chronologically after the events of the first episode and the characters who we see in that opening are actually not the ones present at that event.

DiGiKerot

For the two of you that may be interested, I went to the BFI's onedotzero festival Japanese segment in London this evening, which showcased contemporary short films, music videos etc.

The J-Star thing? I'm supposed to be hitting that later today...

The Barbican is showing Onigamiden ("Legend of the Millennium Dragon", I believe is its English title) tomorrow afternoon - the phrase "from the director of Spriggan!" is an ominous sign...

Oh feck, If I'd known about this, I'd have booked an earlier train. Kings Cross to Barbican in 15 minutes is probably a bit too much of a push...

Red Garden 11

4gims.png

Epic derp lips. Someone needs to get better at applying lipstick.

Kind of have a conflicted view on all this highschool romance drama. On one hand, it's interesting to some extent. On the other, I fuckin hate these people.

At least Claire is still doing cool stuff.

Jex

Ben-to 8 was terrible. That's two episodes in a row that were bad and headed in the wrong direction, at this point I have to conclude that this will be the new feel of the show. I guess it's time I dropped it.

Wait, you actually drop stuff? I assume you just stopped writing about it.

NewFresh

PGSM Ep.11-12

Action scenes just mean you have to do cartwheels in slow motion.

also...
Zoisite NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

NewFresh

It's not PGSM without superfluous cartwheels.
And Tentacles.
Yeah, Minako really punked him there. Weep not though!

I now have a reason to continue watching!

Turtle Guardian Sailor Moon Ep. 13

Why weren't the police involved? All the sailor Senshi?! This is a matter of national security, find that turtle!!!!

Who is this Kunzite? This is not my Kunzite.

Jex

I would've hopped straight into my backlog but when I heard that Persona 4 had actually started, I had to drop everything. Went out and bought a PS2 just for it. I was going to try and knock it out fast but it was so good and I had to breathe it in because I knew how sad I'd be at the end.

That being said, the show isn't all that bad. After the Xenosaga anime? Yeah, I'm satisfied and eternally grateful.
It sounds like your baseline for quality programming has been set dangerously low. I don't know if that's healthy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom