• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Infinite Justice said:
and what gag was this.
The one involving the monkey, specifically! Ms. Jugen-san... it was such an awesome callback and such a perfect set up for this joke. I almost wonder if they cast her five episodes ago specifically to make that joke in this episode.

Dedication Through Light said:
Reborn 60 something to 85

Having fillers in the future arc seemed to odd, considering the future arc is essentially 80% of the manga...I liked how they handled Gokudera and Yama's hashing it out and finally getting on the same page.

Oh, there's more. A LOT more.

Articalys

firehawk12 said:
The one involving the monkey, specifically! Ms. Jugen-san... it was such an awesome callback and such a perfect set up for this joke. I almost wonder if they cast her five episodes ago specifically to make that joke in this episode.
gaXtp.png

They said so themselves. Wouldn't put it past them, at any rate.

Shinrakyu Ika Musumu II 1

I like the OP. More adventureous (even though that's not what the show is about at all).

Not really much to say. Still episodic squid shenanigans. Not bad, not great.

firehawk12 said:

ok, cool.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Articalys said:
gaXtp.png

They said so themselves. Wouldn't put it past them, at any rate.
Yeah, I was just wondering if they meant it. :lol:

Also, maybe Gintoki should get some special moves so that we could get a real game out of the franchise. I'd even play a Dynasty Warriors clone with the franchise slapped on top of it at this point.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
firehawk12 said:
Yeah, I was just wondering if they meant it. :lol:

Also, maybe Gintoki should get some special moves
so that we could get a real game out of the franchise. I'd even play a Dynasty Warriors clone with the franchise slapped on top of it at this point.

No! Never. That is terrible :(

Gintama should be a retro jRPG on a handheld. It's the only way.

sonicmj1

Catching up on last week's anime:

Idolmaster 12

Worst episode in a while. And even though the Producer continues to prove how completely sexless he is, it was still weird to watch him run after a 15 year old girl in a crowded shopping district to convince her to come back with him so she can try on some clothes he has for her.

Well, next week should be interesting.

Mawaru Penguindrum 11

A return to form. Not sure how I feel about that last revelation, though.

The frog Ringo used appears once every 16 years. Shouma, Kanba, and Ringo were all born on the same day 16 years ago.

Coincidence?

Nichijou 26

Not as good as last week, but it was still a very good episode. Even though I was down on it in the beginning, I'll definitely miss it.

The final skit is basically a mirror of the show's first skit, also. Still not very funny, though.

I'll probably check out Guilty Crown and P4 this coming season, but it definitely seems like slimmer pickings this time around compared to summer.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
El Sloth said:
Crap this thread just reminded me I still haven't finished watching Utena. My procrastination knows no bounds.

I still have a bunch of boxsets that I bought for dirt cheap that are still sitting in shrink wrap. I always feel guilty as hell.

Dynedom

cosmicblizzard said:
Oh, there's more. A LOT more.

The whole
"Chance" game thing or whatever is filler right? Or maybe when they go back to the present to get the approval of the 1st family?

I only started following the manga at
the conclusion of Rauji and Lambo's battle in the Shimon arc
so I'm not sure how it differs from the way the anime did it.

Jex

El Sloth said:
Crap this thread just reminded me I still haven't finished watching Utena. My procrastination knows no bounds.
Well it's not like there's anything good airing right now anyway, save a couple of shows. No excuse now!

Gintama X Sket Dance

This was pretty great to see. Love the seiyuu jokes. I'll have to check out how Sket Dance X Gintama goes layer this week.

Jex

Hellsing321 said:
Squid Girl Season 2 - 01

AGvpu.jpg

Seems like this show will continue to be an inoffensive somewhat enjoyable time waster.
Yes, but don't puns just warm your heart in that special way?
Reknoc said:
This has already taken show of the season for me. I love me a gross amount of bad puns.

Or good puns.

Or any type of pun really.
I see that Japan has you covered.

Dynedom said:
The whole
"Chance" game thing or whatever is filler right? Or maybe when they go back to the present to get the approval of the 1st family?

I only started following the manga at
the conclusion of Rauji and Lambo's battle in the Shimon arc
so I'm not sure how it differs from the way the anime did it.

I don't really remember that well and I kind of stopped watching the anime after the first base raid.
If the Chance game was the thing with the REAL Funeral Wreaths, then no it wasn't filler. All fights against the Millefiore Family are canon. Them going back to the present definitively was filler and I think might even contradict stuff later on in the manga, mainly with Daemon.

Jex

InfiniteNine said:
Poor Extollere, out there enjoying Geass but with NO ONE TO TELL OF IT'S GREATNESS. WHYY SATAN WHYYYYY!? What unholy force of nature barred him from salvation!?
Enjoying Code Geass is already suffering.

Dynedom

cosmicblizzard said:
Them going back to the present definitively was filler and I think might even contradict stuff later on in the manga, mainly with Daemon.[/spoiler]

Actually that is one thing they did well
because Daemon becomes a mini-antagonist when they go back in time. It kinda sets the tone that he's a son of a bitch. If a second season arrives, they can probably tweak his dialogue for it to make sense. It's not a complete departure.

Jexhius said:
Enjoying Code Geass is already suffering.

It hurts so good.

Jex

Miri said:
Oh, exist, they did. And we won. Whoever runs for the shortest amount of time out of two ultimately forgettable shows= win. It's called suffering less.
See, now this is a real internet argument. It makes perfect sense.

Dynedom said:
Actually that is one thing they did well
because Daemon becomes a mini-antagonist when they go back in time. It kinda sets the tone that he's a son of a bitch. If a second season arrives, they can probably tweak his dialogue for it to make sense. It's not a complete departure.

Ah, didn't know that. Like I said, I stopped watching so I have no idea how that filler arc was handled. Might make a Gintama-like return possible.

Jex

Lain said:
Speaking of WMT, people should check out Princess Sarah and My Daddy Long Legs.
Well, to be fair, there's a lot people should be checking out from that whole catalogue of titles.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Regulus Tera said:
Hanasaku Iroha 25: If this were a mecha anime this would have been the episode where Ohana couldn't get her giant robot working until she discovered her spiral power or some shit.

Momhana looked very cute in that uniform.

EDIT: Got this from the MLP thread. I could buy that dub.

I don't know Japanese though; I don't know how accurate that is.

ZaIiB.png

To all of your comment. All of it.

I'm just glad HanaIro didn't involve the use of giant mecha.

Serious question about WMT anime? Are they generally better or poorer than the Les Miserables? Thought it was enjoyable but hardly anything special and honestly kind of insulting. Outside of Anne which ones are worth watching the most?

flawfuls

Who's Left Behind

H5z4W.png

This is basically a Grave of the Fireflies clone. It takes place during WWII, is based on a true story, is depressing and even looks and feels like a Ghibli movie. The majority movie takes place before the war and is just about the main character growing up and I think they did a better job with that then the actual dramatic war stuff. The sad stuff didn't really get to me until the end. Overall it was a great movie, not quite Grave of the Fireflies great, but it deserves more attention than it gets (I had never heard of it at all before watching it).

I also feel the need to point out the the title of the movie and the idea behind is just fucked up. Whoever thought it up is a sadistic bastard.

Jex

flawfuls said:
Who's Left Behind

H5z4W.png

This is basically a Grave of the Fireflies clone. It takes place during WWII, is based on a true story, is depressing and even looks and feels like a Ghibli movie. The majority movie takes place before the war and is just about the main character growing up and I think they did a better job with that then the actual dramatic war stuff. The sad stuff didn't really get to me until the end. Overall it was a great movie, not quite Grave of the Fireflies great, but it deserves more attention than it gets (I had never heard of it at all before watching it).
That's interesting, you think people would at least bring it up when they were talking about Grave of the Fireflies or Barefoot Gen but I've never heard nor read about it. Weird.

Which reminds me, I need to watch Barefoot Gen 2.

TxdoHawk

So I just watched all of Highschool Of The Dead over the span of two days.

Enjoyed it ("ending" aside) but while watching I could hear the angry, belabored huffs coming from bitter and jaded anime vets a mile away. Practically every bad anime trope paraded out, one after the other. I was half expecting them to end it by having the whole team climb into space mechs and fly off to restart civilization, because that is pretty much the only checkbox they didn't tick. I'm easy to please, though, so I'm not even mad.

flawfuls

Jexhius said:
That's interesting, you think people would at least bring it up when they were talking about Grave of the Fireflies or Barefoot Gen but I've never heard nor read about it. Weird.

Which reminds me, I need to watch Barefoot Gen 2.

They can't bring it up because they haven't heard of it either!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
flawfuls said:
They can't bring it up because they haven't heard of it either!

I think most people of heard of both and at least seen the former if not the latter. (edit: damn i need to go to sleep) I have never heard of Who's Left Behind until you just wrote that up.

I'll be staying away from this because I could do without more of this in my life. Regardless of how good it is.

TxdoHawk said:

Enjoyed it ("ending" aside) but while watching I could hear the angry, belabored huffs coming from bitter and jaded anime vets a mile away. Practically every bad anime trope paraded out, one after the other. I was half expecting them to end it by having the whole team climb into space mechs and fly off to restart civilization, because that is pretty much the only checkbox they didn't tick. I'm easy to please, though, so I'm not even mad.

If you are incapable of enjoying Highschool of the Dead the problem isn't with the anime. Because the anime is pure unadulterated joyful fanservice distilled into animated form.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Steroyd said:
To not have an outlet while watching Code Geass will make you self combust.

It's a good way to go out. I kind of wish I stopped watching anime after Geass. I will never ever have the same sense of euphoria again. Unless they make a true S3.

Steroyd said:
To not have an outlet while watching Code Geass will make you self combust.

Wasn't on any forums while it was airing and I had a blast. I didn't even know people considered it bad before frequenting gaf and other forums.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
cosmicblizzard said:
Wasn't on any forums while it was airing and I had a blast. I didn't even know people considered it bad before frequenting gaf and other forums.

Trust me most people who watch the series don't think of it as bad, not even close. Even the ones who claim its bad will still thoroughly enjoy it.

I love this show to death not in spite of all its shortcomings but because of them. It does absolutely nothing with the notion of being average, and there's truly something fabulous about that.

It's the truest Sunrise anime. Sunrise should embrace what they are all about instead of trying to be something they're not.

Jintor

TxdoHawk said:

I enjoyed it and I was still mad.

Shakugan no Shana 1:

A show produced by J.C. Staff.

Mediocre production values? Check.
Slightly disconcerting character designs? Check.
Girl with sword? Check.
"Urusai urusai urusai!"? Check.

The premise doesn't actually seem all that interesting, as in something I haven't seen before a hundred times. I'm not sure what they can actually fill 24 episodes with, not to mention another 24 episodes of a second season, plus a third set of 24 episodes starting October 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom