• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

Between this and that new Cyborg 009 Kenji Kamiyama film my heart is just about broken. Does this make you happy?

So we got a lot of Naruto fans here? ...nope?

Well that's cool because the much superior spinoff is getting its own anime! Wooooo!

Rock Lee is one of the more salvageable characters from this particular franchise so, sure, why not? I'll give it a shot.

trejo

Mirai Nikki 8

To be honest, if it weren't for Yuno and her yandere antics I would've dropped this ages ago. Yukiteru is much too pathetic to be allowed to live.

I won't even bother coming up with predictions for future events since it seems like a waste of time and I'd probably be wrong anyway.

Jex

Between this and that new Cyborg 009 Kenji Kamiyama film my heart is just about broken. Does this make you happy?
If you just count all crappy CG movies produced in Japan as 'not anime' it becomes much easier, because then you can pretend they don't exist and that certain directors aren't wasting their time making ugly things.

I never finished that one but I do distinctly remember it tended to have tons of mood whiplash.
Kamisama Dolls certainly did have problematic whiplash, and the comedic moments almost always felt out of place. It got better from episode 7 onwards though.

Chihayafuru 9

The direction of the first half was relatively weak, but the sheer force of Chihaya's personality carried the episode through to a strong conclusion. Even when he doesn't have any screen time, Arata steals the show.
I don't understand why he texted Taichi instead of Chihaya directly. He should have her number, since she called him before. Seems rude to use Taichi as an intermediary.

Well if anyone here was watching they'd have a pretty thick skin, or like abuse.

or they're DTL.

Once the war arc starts (has it already?) I'll watch. It's been good so far and some scenes in the manga aren't totally clear since so much is going on. Hopefully they don't fuck it up like they did to Marineford with OP.

Dresden

Chihayafuru 9

The direction of the first half was relatively weak, but the sheer force of Chihaya's personality carried the episode through to a strong conclusion. Even when he doesn't have any screen time, Arata steals the show.
I don't understand why he texted Taichi instead of Chihaya directly. He should have her number, since she called him before. Seems rude to use Taichi as an intermediary.

It's because Arata is a huge dick.

/no bias

Reknoc

Once the war arc starts (has it already?) I'll watch. It's been good so far and some scenes in the manga aren't totally clear since so much is going on. Hopefully they don't fuck it up like they did to Marineford with OP.

This is what Cruncyrolls little ticker thing says about the current episode of Naruto

Tenten is helping out Lee’s training to enhance his Eight Inner Gates on NARUTO SHIPPUDEN #237.

So no, it's not over yet.

/XX/

As we all know, the true mark of fantastic anime storytelling is that you have to listen to a drama CD to get actual characterization for the antagonist.
That is a sad truth, and of course this also affected the visual novel... I suppose they didn't deemed necessary a heavy characterization of that character to continue with a fairly believable progression of the main story, but the funny thing is that I'm pretty sure they can exploit that interest from the fans on wanting to know more from those characters, so... benefits for all!

Jex

Chihayafuru 9

You say forceful personality, I say psychopath. I mean think about it! She has a frightening devoition to a single hobby, few 'real friends', she can't understand the emotions of others and she can't even imagine how the world looks from another persons perspective. The only thing that matters is what she wants, which is people playing karuta. She'll manipulate, kidnap, coerce, stalk, seduce and befriend whoever it takes to reach her goal.

trejo

You say forceful personality, I say psychopath. I mean think about it! She has a frightening devoition to a single hobby, few 'real friends', she can't understand the emotions of others and she can't even imagine how the world looks from another persons perspective. The only thing that matters is what she wants, which is people playing karuta. She'll manipulate, kidnap, coerce, stalk and befriend whoever it takes to reach her goal.

And suddenly my enjoyment of her character increased tenfold.

No you are. :(

Takes one to know one.

The war wont be starting until after the new year at this rate. The fillers have been decent to exceptional (Konohamaru + Shikamaru episode was great). And Place to Try and Newsong are great openings and endings.

Jex

Ben-to 8

While lesbian twins are always appreciated, I feel this is one of the weakest episodes so far. It's starting to feel a lot more formulaic and a lot less hilariously self-aware.

I'm not really sure how self-aware it ever was, but it at least had novelty value. This has been wearing off for a while now, and all you're left with is the usual anime routines.

You say forceful personality, I say psychopath. I mean think about it! She has a frightening devoition to a single hobby, few 'real friends', she can't understand the emotions of others and she can't even imagine how the world looks from another persons perspective. The only thing that matters is what she wants, which is people playing karuta. She'll manipulate, kidnap, coerce, stalk, seduce and befriend whoever it takes to reach her goal.

If you find great fulfillment in something, it's only natural that you'd want other people to find fulfillment in it too. Chihaya just wants everyone to be as happy as she is. I don't see the problem!

Gintama 141

It's always the people with closed eyes you need to watch out for.

Steroyd

This is what Cruncyrolls little ticker thing says about the current episode of Naruto

So no, it's not over yet.

Oh ma gawd what the hell!?

It's weird, technically I've dropped Naruto because I don't watch it anymore (even when it comes to the canon) but i still stock up on the episodes for some reason.

The war wont be starting until after the new year at this rate. The fillers have been decent to exceptional (Konohamaru + Shikamaru episode was great). And Place to Try and Newsong are great openings and endings.

"At this rate" makes it sound like there's a level of progression to a certain event, canon starts when the studio feels like it, even then it'll be way past New year even if they started doing canon right now, there's qiute a bit to cover before it even gets there.

Oh ma gawd what the hell!?

It's weird, technically I've dropped Naruto because I don't watch it anymore (even when it comes to the canon) but i still stock up on the episodes for some reason.

stopped watching shippuden since the Naruto vs Oro fight and was the same as yo until i started to not give a shit and they were fillers anyways.

I know right, why is Shizune's pig helping Rock Lee train?

its referring to Rock Lee and Neji's female teammate with the weapons (Tenten) not the pig (Tonton).

person in question

tenten2.jpg

Fortunately Tenten is more memorable in the ultimate ninja games, in which she is in Kiba's league with the high combo number.

Surely she cant be forgotten in the anime for the loss against Temari? Losses are just as memorable as wins in Naruto.

"At this rate" makes it sound like there's a level of progression to a certain event, canon starts when the studio feels like it, even then it'll be way past New year even if they started doing canon right now, there's qiute a bit to cover before it even gets there.

Honestly, I'd take 2 years of filler over a 1:1 chapter/episode ratio like OP was doing for a while. At least you can skip the filler. Then when it finally does come back to canon, you won't have to worry about abominations like Marineford.

Instro

Umi Kara no Shisha

nYpZG.jpg

A silent(well it does have music though) black and white anime in this day and age? How extremely monocle and classy.

Even better is that is has really well animated action scenes too, its pretty awesome. It's only a 8-9 minute short so its totally worth checking out, they should make a full show/movie out of this.

Reknoc

Fortunately Tenten is more memorable in the ultimate ninja games, in which she is in Kiba's league with the high combo number.

Surely she cant be forgotten in the anime for the loss against Temari? Losses are just as memorable as wins in Naruto.

For that to be true the battle itself would have to be pretty memorable or at flesh out a character in someway. The fight against Temari was essentially filler (it wasn't shown in the manga).

Honestly, I'd take 2 years of filler over a 1:1 chapter/episode ratio like OP was doing for a while. At least you can skip the filler. Then when it finally does come back to canon, you won't have to worry about abominations like Marineford.

Where's One Piece at now?

Go_Ly_Dow

Chihiaya 9

Still enjoying it greatly, but I just hope the other members get some focused episodes on them. Without any character development for them, I can see myself losing some interest.

Also, episode 9 has swayed me to Team Taichi.

Episodes 1-3:
I was firmly in the Team Arata camp. No use denying that Taichi was a little shit back in the day.

Episode 4-5:
Taichi winning some sympathy points for being stuck in the friendzone, but then Arata had to come and redeem himself at the end.

Episodes 6-8
Observing Taichi to see if he was a secret douche, but my analysis proved to be inconclusive and I was still edging towards Team Arata

Episode 9
Taichi actually comes across as non-pushy with his motives and seems like a nice guy in general. Arata's lack of screen-time hasn't done any favours for him either!

I'm curious to see how this all unfolds. Will be even better if the other team members start to develop feelings for one another.

Jex

If you find great fulfillment in something, it's only natural that you'd want other people to find fulfillment in it too. Chihaya just wants everyone to be as happy as she is. I don't see the problem!
It sure is convenient how you can just explain away her deep seated psychological problems just because she's a cute girl.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The internet answer to that (to everything) is autism.

Mirai Nikki 8

To be honest, if it weren't for Yuno and her yandere antics I would've dropped this ages ago. Yukiteru is much too pathetic to be allowed to live.

I won't even bother coming up with predictions for future events since it seems like a waste of time and I'd probably be wrong anyway.

Yuno carries the entire series, no lie.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Well since the year is winding down, what do you guys think the best OST of the year was? I'd have to give it to the Ao no Exoricst OST, a shounen, surprisingly. It was just so good.

Jex

And suddenly my enjoyment of her character increased tenfold.
Well I guess we all now know how you like your bread buttered.

It's crazy, right?

In all serious, I don't even feel that my slightly unusual character reading is that far from the truth. Have you seen the look in her eyes when she talks about karuta? It isn't healthy.

Branduil

Well since the year is winding down, what do you guys think the best OST of the year was? I'd have to give it to the Ao no Exoricst OST, a shounen, surprisingly. It was just so good.

Probably Penguin Drum so far. Of course Usagi Drop and Madoka also have high-quality OSTs.

/XX/

A silent(well it does have music though) black and white anime in this day and age? How extremely monocle and classy.

Even better is that is has really well animated action scenes too, its pretty awesome. It's only a 8-9 minute short so its totally worth checking out, they should make a full show/movie out of this.
Yeah, it is classy, however I think it is like that because of how Nosferatu has been making his animation entirely by himself since he created the character of Non-chan, for his .GIF animations (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26489512&postcount=93).

Reknoc

Had I not started watching Madoka I would have said Phi Brain.

I have not watched much anime this year.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Croisee had the best OST of any series this year, nothing really even close for me.

The pieces are fantastic. You really don't notice it while watching the show because the pieces actually blend so well with the story and what's going on within the show, which is a good thing when done right. The series is impressionable yet restrained and it has heightened atmosphere.

iavi

It's a Hiroyuki year, all across the board. I've yet to hear his stuff in GC, but people seem to love it from the impressions I've read. Ao no Exorcist's OSTs were indeed fab, both releases. And his stuff for Gundam Unicorn, imo, is the best I've heard. This isn't me just being a raging fanboy, or at the least, I try, but he's been so well received this year, I'm having a hard time picturing another composer for the award.

You really don't notice it while watching the show because the pieces actually blend so well with the story and what's going on within the show, which is a good thing when done right.

This isn't at all a positive in my book. When I don't notice an OST while watching, I deem it unremarkable. They can mesh with the scene set and still be ear-catching.

----
On the note of music, Gintama's latest OP single, Dilemma, by Ecosystem has released. The whole song is so much better than even the tv size. Love all in this bitch.

Steroyd

You see I'm the opposite, I'm very momentum based, at least with 1:1 with filler incorporated into the canon for the episodes, I have a reason to watch it week by week, with Naruto and Beelzebub I have to turn the off switch more than on and for long periods of time, that it comes to a point where i just plain can't be assed to keep following it even when it does eventually come back to canon.

Plus did you just say that you're willing to skip Naruto for 2 whole years, I'd have definately given up the show completely by then.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This isn't at all a positive in my book. When I don't notice an OST while watching, I deem it unremarkable. They can mesh with the scene set and still be ear-catching.

I don't agree with that at all. The tone of the show varies but the soundtrack always matches along the emotions through the experiences Yune is feeling as she journeys around Paris. It's not so much unnoticeable as much as it blends in, reinforcing whats going on during the series only in a subtle fashion, the music is never at the forefront of whats going on. The soundtrack really is memorable without being in your face (unlike something like Nichijou)

So Ra So Mi, the main track of the series is a really beautiful piece. It's a piece that absolutely fits for the series itself as well as how the series uses it, a piece which moves at a comfortable pace with a really mellow sound to it. It's truly relaxing and yet it's got some elegance to it with the progression of instruments used within the track, it's just charming in every sense of the word.

Hanasaku Machi wo Waltz is generally used throughout the show when Yune fulfills her childish curiosities, exploring the wonders throughout the city of Paris. Lady no Otanoshimi is my favorite upbeat track, its a really festive piece with lively violin and an accordion melody, capturing the few moments of excitement and exhilaration Yune feels in the series perfectly.

But of course not everything goes so happily for poor Yune throughout the series. She is of course an outsider, Sore wa Yokatta ne is a piece that describes her sense of loneliness and not fitting in her surroundings in a very beautiful manner.

Really do love this soundtrack. A lot of it is Shigeharu Sasago (more well known for his work in Choro Club), a man who delivers warmth like a hot chocolate on a cold snowy day. I prefer the instrumental tracks on this even more than I did with Aria (although I prefer this overall) and with Ristorante Paradiso.

To me it is not only the best implemented soundtrack within its series, it's enjoyable to listen to on its own merits and is technically well done as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom