• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

Chihayafuru 7-9

So after an energizing game of karuta Chihaya ventures off to find more members since the would-be karuta club still needs two more while Taichi chills in the club room thinking loosing at karuta is cool. Chihaya happens upon nerdy Table-kun, who thinks karuta is dumb. Chihaya is, of course, having none of that shit so she drags him back to the club room where Taichi is teaching that one plain and boring girl whose name doesn't matter all about the wonders and mysteries of karuta. Table-kun is once again mouthing off against karuta so Chihaya, in an attempt to mend his ignorant ways bestows upon him the knowledge that karuta makes you fucking awesome at memorization. Table-kun totally calls her bluff and dares her and Taichi to engage in that most dangerous of alternative karuta playstyles: the upside down karuta showdown of doom. They both reluctantly agree knowing full well their very lives may be now endangered and engage in an epic battle of both brains and brawn whereupon Taichi finally realizes that constantly loosing at karuta is actually not really fucking cool at all and decides to start treating karuta as the sport of Gods that it truly is. Table-kun, totally jealous and perhaps more than a little aroused by Taichi's manliness and karuta supremacy, leaves with his tail between his legs. Then there's some scenes involving Table-kun's desk, which represents the wall he's put up in front of himself as protection due to his fears of socialization or whatever but these scenes have not much to do with karuta so who the fuck cares. In the end though, he sees the light and realizes that karuta is totally the bee's knees and decides to join. So that's another one down.

So the next day, the four karuta warriors are at the school gates spreading the word of karuta to any who would listen but, sadly, their attempts to recruit more karuta soldiers for their karuta army prove unsuccessful. Their ongoing campaign has taken its toll on the karuta leader and Chihaya decides to head to the cafeteria to partake in some much needed nourishment. There, she harrasses some fat kid she met while she was still in the Childhaya arc. The whole episode is all about the fat kid being tsundere as fuck towards karuta and cheating on it with the tennis club. What a slutty fat kid. Anyway, after some strategic stalking and bullying by Chihaya and Taichi they finally dupe convince him to try to regain his freedom by way of beating Chihaya in a karuta duel. Everything goes according to plan and by the end of the match the fat kid is once again reacquainted with his love of karuta and after breaking up with the tennis club rather awkwardly, bows to never ever leave Karuta's side again. Or else. The episode ends with Chihaya bullying the fat kid some more, calling him names and pretending not to notice. Oh Chihaya, what a loveable bitch you are.

The fellowship of the karuta now complete, they get permission to become a legal and recognized club instead of the shady underground shit they had going on before. Chihaya, having been denied the position of club president, makes up some bullshit title for herself and takes control of the karuta club anyway, leaving Taichi to function as a puppet government of sorts. Attagirl. Afterwards, during karuta practice, it is revealed that Chihaya, having been subject to the same kind of initiation now enjoys excerting her karuta superiority over those who are considerably weaker than her using the excuse that "it's good for them". Following this same train of thought, but mostly due to the fact that they keep being kicked from the school grounds, it's decided that the karuta alliance shall convene at an undisclosed location in order to improve their stamina and thusly facilitate the slaying of their foes. The location turns out to be Taichi's house, which is where rich people live. Chihaya "subtly" tells Taichi that she wants to go up to his room to check out his hard throbbing big screen TV but he refuses. Once the others arrive, Chihaya for some reason proceeds to show them this creepy, dark room filled with nothing but awards and trophies that Taichi has won over the years for ice-skating and cow milking and what have you, which I guess is done to show us that, yes, Taichi really is just that fucking awesome. She also tells the group that Taichi's mom is a total bitch. So after some scenes with Chihaya being all sadistic and overworking everyone they proceed to have dinner. The fat kid eats his food with gusto and abandon while everyone else is oh so tired to take even a single bite. At that very moment, Chihaya's apparent super hearing power kicks in because she quickly grabs hold of that one other girl in the group and hightails it the fuck out of the place. Turns out both Taichi's mom and sister have returned sooner than anticipated. They both look like total bitches. Chihaya drags the other girl to her place, disrobes her and puts her to bed. Later that night she reflects on her actions and apologizes to everyone for acting like such a sadistic bitch but then everyone says it's cool because they actually like it. Then there's a birthday party and some dude whose name I don't remember texts Taichi to give his regards to Chihaya. Taichi steals pie from Chihaya and then relays the message which seems to have the most curious effect of getting her all hot and bothered upon reading it. Man, this Arata guy sure seems like a total dick.

Reborn 120-124

Yama's time with Squalo's video was memorable in the manga and also in the anime as well. I was shocked with the outcome of his fight though. Not much to say though, I didnt realize Tsuna spent and is still with Spanner, it feels like its been upwards of 20 episodes since hes been out of action.

duckroll

Isn't around 3,000 per volume the typical break-even line?

This isn't exactly factual. It definitely varies a lot from show to show because of a bunch of other considerations. It's just a guideline based on the specific performance of Manabi Straight, and now used as a reference.

iavi

Gintama
Monday
Elizabethu arc.

It was a srs biz Gintama arc, and then it wasn't a srs biz Gintama arc, which, I have to admit, led to it feeling largely anti-climatic,
not even considering the troll.
It was nice seeing Sakamoto again though. I'm still waiting on my S&M arc. If Tsukki can have a whole arc dedicated to her, why can't a bro of Gintoki's?

Jex

So Steins;Gate. Started last weekend, finished today, why did it turn out to be surprisingly good?

It felt like a conflict between interesting writing, well realised characters and poor direction. At the start it seemed like the crappy direction and bad production values would drag the show straight into the 'bad' category but it kind of balanced out.

In that regard, it's lucky that it was a full 26 episode show because I think that gave them the time they needed to iron out the worst wrinkles in their show and it also allowed the plot to develop at a reasonable pace. If it had been all forced into one season I don't think it would have worked at all.
Biggest mystery of all! I guess Madhouse is incompetent and White Fox isn't. I expected Steins;Gate to be god awful but it turned out to be one of my favorite series of the year.
Judging by the character animation, design, lighting, background art and overall quality of the direction, I'd say White Fox are still a rather a average to bad studio.

Jex

Ah ok.

I just need MPD to sell really well. It deserves it.

It wont. I mean, why would it? I can't really think of any reasons.
He should be lamenting Keiji Gotoh's lack of talent.

Hey, episode 19 wasn't that bad, really! Apart from that final scene, you know, the one with the
giant rolling balls, coupled with slowdown and heavy breathing. All the characters are crossing a real short amount of space, the backdoor to the end of the garden, so why it would take very long is beyond me. It's an attempt to create tension out of thin air that backfires because the whole thing looks ridiculous. It feels extremely artificial, especially when giant balls appear out of nowhere just to create the obstacles needed to make the scene 'tense'. I think it's problematic on the same level as the really elongated dragging behind the truck sequence earlier. It goes on for too long and looks far too ridiculous to be taken seriously.

Which I imagine looked stupid on paper and in reality. Heck, even if I just imagine what that scene would look like in my head it's going to be a bad scene. It feels like someone roughly understands film theory. They know that this element + this element + this camera angle + this style of editing is used to create tension. Yet, all they really know is the theory and they haven't had nearly enough practice with the practical to successfully create it. It's kind of amateurish.
Or his own.

lol

In that regard, it's lucky that it was a full 26 episode show because I think that gave them the time they needed to iron out the worst wrinkles in their show and it also allowed the plot to develop at a reasonable pace. If it had been all forced into one season I don't think it would have worked at all.

Yeah, I'm going to watch Chaos;Head sometime. I'm not expecting much, to be honest.

... Yeah, I haven't been watching much anime in a while have I, I've fallen behind on everything except for these two shows, and one of them is an atrocious disaster I should never have watched even one episode of. Yeah.

Majikoi 8 - I can see why some people said that this episode was about political intrigue, because that was central to the plot of the episode wasn't it... that and continuing the fight from last time. The episode jumps back and forth between the fight and the political discussion that came after it, so it's skipping backwards and forwards in time. I thought that that meant the ending would be predictable, but it actually surprised me at the end... I wasn't expecting that to happen! Interesting...

Overall, it was a solid episode. It was all action and story, no harem antics here, and it was decently well done, so that's alright. The action was solid and generally kept my interest; though by the end of the episode the never-ending fight was getting a little old, it wasn't too bad, and then there was that ending bit that got my attention back. As for the story parts, the story's nothing great, but it's okay, and it is good that the show finally came up with a rival who can actually challenge Momoyo. She'd been ridiculously overpowered compared to everyone she'd fought before. That is certainly not true anymore.

Maken-Ki! 8 - I Hate This Show! I hate it! It is so, so bad... it took a while to get through this episode, I kept stopping it because of how painfully awful it was.

So, following up on last episode, this episode is about the new would-be haremite's efforts to attract the MC. She's a member of the new "rival" group who have also become transfer students in the school, and fell deeply in love with our unlikable loser jerk MC at first sight pretty much and for no stated reason. She thinks he's so great or something, which of course he's pretty much the opposite of. Oh, and did I mention that she's also an idol, of course? Naturally. So yeah, she manages to get him out on a date. The main three haremites feel threatened of course and try to hunt him down. Not very exciting stuff happens, he gets found, etc, the end. At the end, though, the MC says that
even though the new girl is attractive he didn't fall in love with her like he thought he would... is this character development, as he recognizes that he likes his haremites best? I doubt it, though it's not like it matters either way; even if that did happen, it wouldn't make him any less horrible a character.

... In conclusion, I'll probably watch the whole series, just to make myself suffer I guess.

Jex

It's the filler segment about filler episodes, recycled from the earlier filler segment about filler episodes, yeah.

That sounds pretty amazing. Not something I'd like to watch, ever, but at least they're mixing it up, staying creative. That's a good sign, from a creative standpoint. That sounds like a whole new tier of filler episodes.

Filler episode types:

Traditional filler: An anime original story in a anime that's based on a manga. These might be below average in terms of production as the studio is trying to pad out a shows run, possibly because the next part of the manga hasn't been written yet.

Oshii variation on traditional filler: Similar to the above in that it's a story that comes from the team creating the anime, rather than the original manga. Except here it might not be below average, rather, it might be seriously weird.

Lazy ass filler: Take 98% old episode footage, add some kind of framing device like one character explaining something to another, and then go. These are episodes that I will always skip.

Wolf's Rain level filler - The same as the above, except you do it for four episodes in a row.

Annoying filler: Perhaps this episode will only be 40% new material, and that material might not be that interesting but you kind of have to check it out episode. At least is straight filler you can just skip it outright, with this you are forced to watch.

Utena[filler: Similar to the above except there are some potentially huge story or character based revelations packed in around re-used footage. Dastardly!

Gintama filler - It's clear when they don't have the money or time to animate certain segments, but at least they include meta-commentary on the nature of filler itself.

Gintama has one of the most creative uses of filler I have ever seen. Can't remember what episode it is, but basically
the entire episode is 4 characters who we assume are Gin, Otae, Hijikata, and Kondo all sitting at a ramen stand discussing their problems. Except we can only see the guy running the stand talking to them all. Then at the end of the episode, we see Gin and Otae get together only for it to be revealed these were just random people with the same voices as those characters.
It blew my mind!

C3 9

I don't really see the point of putting in the work to make a new OP when there are 4 episodes left. At least it gives us a better idea of what the show is about after the sudden genre shift.

Mostly a set-up episode with mundane slice of life activities. New villain seems cool, but we'll have to wait until next episode to see what she's all about.

Oh, and I still love the OST.

neoanarch

Gintama has one of the most creative uses of filler I have ever seen. Can't remember what episode it is, but basically
the entire episode is 4 characters who we assume are Gin, Otae, Hijikata, and Kondo all sitting at a ramen stand discussing their problems. Except we can only see the guy running the stand talking to them all. Then at the end of the episode, we see Gin and Otae get together only for it to be revealed these were just random people with the same voices as those characters.
It blew my mind!

That wasn't filler(anime only) I remember that chapter in the manga.

That sounds pretty amazing. Not something I'd like to watch, ever, but at least they're mixing it up, staying creative. That's a good sign, from a creative standpoint. That sounds like a whole new tier of filler episodes.

Oh no, you have to see it (and it's only 4 minutes). The lampshading upon lampshading is hilarious. I swear, the Odd Jobs trio can pull almost anything off.

Also, they used this particular filler segment to announce that Gintama would be continuing into a fourth season. But then...

Gintama 150

The subprime mortgage crisis happened and Sunrise was forced to make cuts! Suddenly the final episode of Gintama appears! ... Except it's still running, so we all know that's a lie. Instead, we get increasingly bizarre fantasies of what the final episode could be. Including an Eva parody. Eventually this is interrupted by the spirit of Jump bursting through the title logo and forcing the trio to continue the show into its fourth season by zapping the anime director in Elizabeth's body.

I love this show so much.

duckroll

OMG! Fate/Zero Ep10 is going to be hnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggh! I dunno if my heart can take this!

http://moca-news.net/article/20111201/201112011705a/01/

QshXd.jpg

MXsx9.jpg

NWsvS.jpg

dAHZX.jpg

Red Garden

Well that was definitely an ending. Some... disturbing noises coming from Anna. What the hell was Herve doing to her body? Also, the flowers made it look like the whole island and part of the bridge was covered in gum from far away.

Overall, this was an interesting show. A drama horror with a very subtle hint of magical girl with some very good character development. The way the main quartet grew really made me attached to most of them despite being a bit sour on them at first (though I'm still not a huge fan of Rachel). It really felt like Kate was the main one by the end with her little skirmish with Herve.

And speaking of Herve, his development really threw me for a loop. Starting out as a secondary protagonist, he never really settled into his role until the end when he
became a flat out, misguided villain. The intentional indecisiveness with which side he would be on really made his end all the more effective.
His story as a whole is disturbingly bittersweet and as far as I'm concerned, he was the star of the show.

Of course it wasn't without its problems. Some scenes went on for way too long with some of the dialogue being really weird. Some of the drama felt contrived and a few of the characters actions were really jarring at points.

Also, the facial expressions and animation were pretty weird at times. As I've said before, I don't exactly look for that stuff, but even I can notice the frequent off-model characters and occasional missing frames. It's not a deal breaker of course, but something I noticed.

Nonetheless, I liked it. Probably wouldn't watch it again, but there are few things that I would. Had some good action too in that one episode.

7.3/10

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
OMG! Fate/Zero Ep10 is going to be hnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggh! I dunno if my heart can take this!

http://i.imgur.com/QshXd.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MXsx9.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/NWsvS.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/dAHZX.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
That there's not a heart attack, that's... Diabeetus.

Good thing I'm not watching Fate/Zero right now, otherwise, I might become obliged to get a blood sugar monitor.

Steroyd

http://i.imgur.com/QshXd.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MXsx9.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/NWsvS.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/dAHZX.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Dang I better catch up to this before another mini Squid Girl segment happens, or I will not live to see the week through.

mAcOdIn

When that doesn't happen we just need to figure out the profit margins on body pillows and the necessary sales of Ringo (Himari?) pillows required to consider the series a success.
There are Ringo body pillows? I have to buy some, it's destiny really so I don't want to hear it, I must buy them.

Dresden

working'!! VII

Hnngh hnng hn ng h hnnnnngh. Hnnnngh gh ngnn g hnngh. Hnngh Hnnnngh gh, ngnn ng Hnnnngh & Hnngngh nn hnnnnnngh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom