• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Penguindrum - 21

3NKJ3.gif

DAAAAAAAYUUUUUUUUM!!

LordCanti

Penguin 21:

Anime is saved again.
Shoma
isn't though. What a
useless sad sack of crap.

Dat
Himari at the funeral. Dawwwwww

Dat
Kanba murdering people.

Ikuhara ----> Mouth

-Minsc-

Newbie here. I'm trying to branch out into different anime and I am coming to you all for advice. I have so far watched nothing but DragonBall Z and a baseball anime, Major. So far, I have wanted to watch Mobile Suit Gundam and have that on my list. I'm open to about any show. I have Guilty Crown, Mobile Suit Gundam Age, Persona 4 and Un-Go from this fall thread I was thinking about. I will track down older shows too!

Since no one else has the balls to mention them in this thread, check out Naruto/Naruto Shipuuden, Bleach, and One Piece. They are the current big three shounen anime. If you actually enjoyed DBZ then you'll have no problem watching these. Just ignore all the elitists who will tell you to avoid these three like the plague. (I do however recommend searching up a filler list).

Obviously watch Cowboy Bebop. It's the classic show which introduced many to anime or showed them there were genres outside of DBZ.

Gintama and Gintama'. A comedy/gag/parody anime which also happens to contain drama and shounen battles randomly thrown in to the mix. You'll certainly have many "WTF did I just watch?" moments. The only real "flaw" of this series is may of the jokes and parodies require you have knowledge of both current and past japanese culture. Safe to say much of it floats over my head, doesn't make me enjoy the show any less.

Full Metal Panic! / Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu / Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid. I'll have to break this one up a bit.

FMP!: Action, comedy, drama, military, and mecha all mixed into one.
FMP? Fumoffu: Focuses on the comedy.
FMP! TSR: No time for comedy, things get serious.

Watch it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Penguin 21:

Anime is saved again.
Shoma
isn't though. What a
useless sad sack of crap.
lies.

Shouma has saved more lives on more occasions than anyone else in the show aside from Momoka. Both Ringo and Himari were saved by him, in multiple times/ways. Himari was saved from dying at the broiler and given a family thanks to him, as well as the chance to to meet Hikari and Hibari and have the dream of becoming an idol. And Ringo was saved from drowning and getting hit by a car thanks to him, and was saved from herself from committing rape, and being raped by yuri under the influence.

Who else has saved multiple lives in the show and given them years of life? Well, Kanba's stuck his neck out to extend himari's life a few days/weeks/months, but he's also murdered at least one person and who knows how many others (and planning to commit a large scale terrorist attack) in order to do it. Hardly honorable.

Oh sure, he's a bit shy around others and he can't fight worth a damn, and he's been late to arrive for several critical situations ,but he's also managed to do more good than any of the other main characters and he hasn't done it at the expense of others.

This post has been brought to you by Team Shouma.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
lies.

Shouma has saved more lives on more occasions than anyone else in the show aside from Momoka. Both Ringo and Himari were saved by him, in multiple times/ways. Himari was saved from dying at the broiler and given a family thanks to him, as well as the chance to to meet Hikari and Hibari and have the dream of becoming an idol. And Ringo was saved from drowning and getting hit by a car thanks to him, and was saved from herself from committing rape, and being raped by yuri under the influence.

Who else has saved multiple lives in the show and given them years of life? Well, Kanba's stuck his neck out to extend himari's life a few days/weeks/months, but he's also murdered at least one person and who knows how many others (and planning to commit a large scale terrorist attack) in order to do it. Hardly honorable.

Oh sure, he's a bit shy around others and he can't fight worth a damn, and he's been late to arrive for several critical situations ,but he's also managed to do more good than any of the other main characters and he hasn't done it at the expense of others.
I was about to type out something to defend Shoma, but you did a better job than I would have done!

Shoma
coming to save the day and have his moment of glory has been being set up for the whole show with the way it's constantly emphasised his apparent incompetence. We're supposed to expect him to fail, since Kanba is so ruthless and capable. He's the underdog. The beat down scene makes me even more sure that Ikuhara's setting up Shoma overcoming Kanba and/or saving the day.

LordCanti

I was about to type out something to defend Shoma, but you did a better job than I would have done!

Shoma
coming to save the day and have his moment of glory has been being set up for the whole show with the way it's constantly emphasised his apparent incompetence. We're supposed to expect him to fail, since Kanba is so ruthless and capable. He's the underdog. The beat down scene makes me even more sure that Ikuhara's setting up Shoma overcoming Kanba and/or saving the day.

Team Kanba here. Hope that doesn't happen. Really hoping that
Kanba and the princess
will work some magic together.

Geneijin

Since no one else has the balls to mention them in this thread, check out Naruto/Naruto Shipuuden, Bleach, and One Piece. They are the current big three shounen anime. If you actually enjoyed DBZ then you'll have no problem watching these. Just ignore all the elitists who will tell you to avoid these three like the plague. (I do however recommend searching up a filler list).

Obviously watch Cowboy Bebop. It's the classic show which introduced many to anime or showed them there were genres outside of DBZ.

Gintama and Gintama'. A comedy/gag/parody anime which also happens to contain drama and shounen battles randomly thrown in to the mix. You'll certainly have many "WTF did I just watch?" moments. The only real "flaw" of this series is may of the jokes and parodies require you have knowledge of both current and past japanese culture. Safe to say much of it floats over my head, doesn't make me enjoy the show any less.

Full Metal Panic! / Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu / Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid. I'll have to break this one up a bit.

FMP!: Action, comedy, drama, military, and mecha all mixed into one.
FMP? Fumoffu: Focuses on the comedy.
FMP! TSR: No time for comedy, things get serious.

Watch it.
There's no elitism involved in not suggesting Naruto and Shipuuden specifically.

Reknoc

Of the three I'd only recommend watching One Piece, and maybe Bleach up to the end of the Soul Society arc if I was pushed.

Whats the fun in skipping all but one filler season of Bleach, and Naruto fillers. Assuming one doesnt read the manga, they are still action packed and full of fan favorite moments of under utilized characters.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Team Kanba here. Hope that doesn't happen. Really hoping that
Kanba and the princess
will work some magic together.

Here's a question: How can you be on team kanba after ep 21? Until now I thought
Kanba was dealing in some shady stuff including preparing to commit murder as a one time act to both save himari and put the world back o ntrack from wahtever screwed it up, but it's pretty clear he's much more of a bastard than that. He just did a hit on a guy who was going to out his involvement with kiga, when he could have easily gone into hiding for the few days/weeks remaining for the completion of their plan and ignored the guy. But he did it as casually as anyone could, so it's pretty clear he's been involved in plenty of killings lately and won't stop unless himari is 100% cured or dead. Plus, he madeit clear he doesn't care about changing the eworld or any of htat nonsense, just saving himari. It's one thing to participate in some underground deals and perform one act resulting in the deaths of 20 people and the saving of your sister's life and the world, but kanba is participating in some underground deals, performing multiple acts of murder on multiple occasions resulting in multiple deaths, over seemingly petty issues, and it's just to save himari.

I knew Kanba was in some shady stuff, but i had no idea he was regularly committing murder for petty reasons. I thought the only killing he was bieng asked to do was yet to come, and it woudl be a 1 time act, not some perpetual behavior he already dirtied himself with and became accustomed to. And I thought there was some added benefit that went beyond saving himari that enticed kanba, like ending the suffering of children and innocents that seems to be a structural construct in the Penguin Drum Universe.

Kanba went from being a good person doing bad things to the primary antagonist, both for the audience as well as Shoma and Himari, in episode 21.

-Minsc-

There's no elitism involved in not suggesting Naruto and Shipuuden specifically.

I subscribe to the "let them make up their own mind" philosophy. He watched DBZ so I can see him getting enjoyment out of Naruto. It's up to him decide whether or not it's worthwhile. As for me, it's a long running shounen so I take the show for what it is and keep watching.

Edit:

Looking at my avatar reminds me, Mushi-shi is another one I recommend.

Cheer up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/Charc/Gifs/Yay-chibi-geso.gif[/IMG

Oh noes.

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/Charc/Gifs/Chibi-Ika-Halp-Me.gif

Hang Ten

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/Charc/Gifs/Chibi-Ika-Surf.gif[/IMG]

And now she is dead, because she can't swim

Reknoc

No reason to stop after the Soul Society arc, it actually gets better. All you have to do is skip all fillers.

Maybe the anime does it better, but I'd hardly say a dull retread and the jokest fight ever is "better". The flashback arc was pretty good though, might be worth stomaching the Vizard stuff just for that.

Geneijin

I subscribe to the "let them make up their own mind" philosophy. He watched DBZ so I can see him getting enjoyment out of Naruto. It's up to him decide whether or not it's worthwhile. As for me, it's a long running shounen so I take the show for what it is and keep watching.
Then why call future naysayers "elitist" then?

Cwarrior

Newbie here. I'm trying to branch out into different anime and I am coming to you all for advice. I have so far watched nothing but DragonBall Z and a baseball anime, Major. So far, I have wanted to watch Mobile Suit Gundam and have that on my list. I'm open to about any show. I have Guilty Crown, Mobile Suit Gundam Age, Persona 4 and Un-Go from this fall thread I was thinking about. I will track down older shows too!

If your going to watch anime might aswell watch the best anime theres One piece seeing that you watched dbz am sure your ready to move up, then work your way down to hajime no ippo, Hunter x hunter original(the old one), samurai champloo.

Why waste your time with bad drama animes like penguin drum or bad cliche stuff like guity crown when you could be watching planetes.

duckroll

Guilty Crown Ep8

This is a bad anime about bad people doing bad things with bad intentions. Good doesn't even begin to factor into this show, both in morals and in quality. :/

LordCanti

Here's a question: How can you be on team kanba after ep 21? Until now I thought
Kanba was dealing in some shady stuff including preparing to commit murder as a one time act to both save himari and put the world back o ntrack from wahtever screwed it up, but it's pretty clear he's much more of a bastard than that. He just did a hit on a guy who was going to out his involvement with kiga, when he could have easily gone into hiding for the few days/weeks remaining for the completion of their plan and ignored the guy. But he did it as casually as anyone could, so it's pretty clear he's been involved in plenty of killings lately and won't stop unless himari is 100% cured or dead. Plus, he madeit clear he doesn't care about changing the eworld or any of htat nonsense, just saving himari. It's one thing to participate in some underground deals and perform one act resulting in the deaths of 20 people and the saving of your sister's life and the world, but kanba is participating in some underground deals, performing multiple acts of murder on multiple occasions resulting in multiple deaths, over seemingly petty issues, and it's just to save himari.

I knew Kanba was in some shady stuff, but i had no idea he was regularly committing murder for petty reasons. I thought the only killing he was bieng asked to do was yet to come, and it woudl be a 1 time act, not some perpetual behavior he already dirtied himself with and became accustomed to. And I thought there was some added benefit that went beyond saving himari that enticed kanba, like ending the suffering of children and innocents that seems to be a structural construct in the Penguin Drum Universe.

Kanba went from being a good person doing bad things to the primary antagonist, both for the audience as well as Shoma and Himari, in episode 21.

One man's
primary antagonist
is another man's
Anti-Hero

Yeah he's getting in
way over his head
but I love it. It's
romantic
if I do say so myself. Himari
trying to save him
makes it even more
moe, God help me.

wsippel

Banned
Guilty Crown Ep8

This is a bad anime about bad people doing bad things with bad intentions. Good doesn't even begin to factor into this show, both in morals and in quality. :/
Also, if you have the director of Highschool of the Dead and the original creator of Seikon no Qwaser doing a beach episode and failing miserably even in the fanservice, let alone fun department, there's something fundamentally broken with your show. Everything gets bogged down by uninteresting and unrelatable emo characters and broken "morals". Wheelchair girl and nekomimi should have been the protagonists of this train wreck.

/XX/

Stuff happens.
Kanba and Masako are pretty messed up people. I don't have much hope for Tabuki and Yuri, their role in the narrative seems to be pretty much finished.
That concrete-minded attitude to never lose sight of their objectives seems to be a common treat of the Natsume family, isn't it?

One thing I did notice though, is how strong the musical direction in this episode was. Almost every episode was perfect in terms of BGM usage. Ep20 was really good in that aspect too, so two weeks in a row means Ikuhara is working overtime! :D
Yeah, that is the impression it gave me specially since episode 19 (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32792002&postcount=14926), and this two latest ones reinforced it. It is like at the end they are bringing the heavy artillery with all the increasing variety of alterations for background music themes and its continuous presence.

He would continue, conscious of it, to endure the infamous and misunderstood way of the penitent for the sake of what he loves. I think it is admirable, brave... but I don't support the kind of methods he uses, of course! Would there be a redemption in the end?

Geneijin

Un-Go Episode 8

So this is how the show has decided to be. Not a bad decision, since the actual detective mystery writing in the show is pretty meh. This on-going plotline is much more interesting.
I assume that flashback about the cult is the main storyline of the Un-Go prequel movie? That would make sense if the movie is the origin of both Inga and Bettenou...

Definitely looking forward to what's coming next. I hope they release the movie in some way in the future too, so I can watch it!
The car crash at the beginning of Episode 1, and the statue of Bettenou (?) shown in the OP make it seem likely.

Jex

MPD 21: Significantly better than the past few episodes.

But now I'm even more angry that they had to cram so much stuff into a single episode when they could've spread out the revelations, instead of wasting time on stupid shit no one (read: me) cares about. I have some faith in this show again, and I hope the last three episodes won't disappoint.

It can't be helped that you don't like cool stuff.

duckroll

Here's the amazing anti-government movie plot that the Tokyo government paid half a million dollars to fund:

(Blood-C TV series spoilers)

Tokyo, Winter.

Despite the use of the Youth Ordinance Bill to enforce curfews for minors and regulate the use of the internet, young people continue to fight for their own freedom through underground methods. One such group calls themselves Surat. They have decided to take on Fumito Nanahara, a man who has great influence on the political world, and basically controls Tokyo with an iron fist. While using the internet as a weapon to discover more information about Fumito, they learn about "Tower", the secret organization behind Fumito which engages in human experimentation.

When members of Surat attempt to set up an ambush in the subway to expose the truth behind "Tower", mysterious creatures suddenly appear and attack the passengers. During this crisis, Saya appears - a young girl who uses a Japanese blade to slay the Old Ones. The same Saya who lost everything dear to her in that horrifying incident in Ukishima Province. What sort of "experiment" is Fumito and "Tower" trying to conduct using the Old Ones? And can Saya finally deliver vengeance to Fumito?

Now, the final battle begins...

Yami

Penguindrum

I'm gonna echo everyone and say 'oh my god'.

cannot wait.

Guilty Crown

After last week's awesome cheesefest, wtf?

Here's the amazing anti-government movie plot that the Tokyo government paid half a million dollars to fund:
What is there to say but CLAMP! Bet the government official who decided to hand them that money is feeling extremely embarassed right now.
I can't believe they're directly referencing the Youth Ordinance Bill.

otakuderek

If your going to watch anime might aswell watch the best anime theres One piece seeing that you watched dbz am sure your ready to move up, then work your way down to hajime no ippo, Hunter x hunter original(the old one), samurai champloo.

Why waste your time with bad drama animes like penguin drum or bad cliche stuff like guity crown when you could be watching planetes.

I am enjoying Penguindrum so far. Naruto is going to take a loooong time with that monster if I decide to try it. I dropped Guilty Crown also.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Persona 4: The Cartoon 09: Not even the Rie Kugimiya + Rise-chan combo can stop this show from looking SO UGLY.

They better not be hinting at Yosuke and Chie ending up together. :mad:

Dresden

(Blood-C TV series spoilers)

Tokyo, Winter.

Despite the use of the Youth Ordinance Bill to enforce curfews for minors and regulate the use of the internet, young people continue to fight for their own freedom through underground methods. One such group calls themselves Surat. They have decided to take on Fumito Nanahara, a man who has great influence on the political world, and basically controls Tokyo with an iron fist. While using the internet as a weapon to discover more information about Fumito, they learn about "Tower", the secret organization behind Fumito which engages in human experimentation.

When members of Surat attempt to set up an ambush in the subway to expose the truth behind "Tower", mysterious creatures suddenly appear and attack the passengers. During this crisis, Saya appears - a young girl who uses a Japanese blade to slay the Old Ones. The same Saya who lost everything dear to her in that horrifying incident in Ukishima Province. What sort of "experiment" is Fumito and "Tower" trying to conduct using the Old Ones? And can Saya finally deliver vengeance to Fumito?

Now, the final battle begins...
That's some edgy shit right there. Blood-C tackling real issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom