• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynedom

Un-Go - 08

I think it was clear that
the killer was a woman
(or at least to me it was) but I have to wonder what kind of a mystery show Un-Go is.

Is it one that drops subtle hints about the solution where you can go back and say "ah, I can't believe I didn't see that"? Or is it the kind of mystery show where you can only watch other people solve it and be amazed by how they put the pieces together.

At least with this mystery, I'm leaning towards the latter. I'm not entirely sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. What's made even worse is that
part of the reason events took place is explained after the credits. Unless that coda is shown or referred to again, something just seems amiss with the direction the show is taking

edit: Woah, this is probably one of my first "real" discussion posts in a while.

otakuderek

Newbie here. I'm trying to branch out into different anime and I am coming to you all for advice. I have so far watched nothing but DragonBall Z and a baseball anime, Major. So far, I have wanted to watch Mobile Suit Gundam and have that on my list. I'm open to about any show. I have Guilty Crown, Mobile Suit Gundam Age, Persona 4 and Un-Go from this fall thread I was thinking about. I will track down older shows too!

Newbie here. I'm trying to branch out into different anime and I am coming to you all for advice. I have so far watched nothing but DragonBall Z and a baseball anime, Major. So far, I have wanted to watch Mobile Suit Gundam and have that on my list. I'm open to about any show. I have Guilty Crown, Mobile Suit Gundam Age, Persona 4 and Un-Go from this fall thread I was thinking about. I will track down older shows too!

I watch Guilty Crown, Gundam Age, and Persona 4 too. Two of those three are pretty fun series. Though I do need to finish GUndam 00, only other Gundam Ive watched a bit.

You might as well try out Phi Brain.

Dynedom

Seeing as how you liked baseball anime, I'd suggest Cross Game. I say that because it's very much a dramedy as well as a baseball anime and is a good first step to branching out. I'd recommend Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood to get you away from terrible shounen like Dragonball Z.

I wouldn't recommend any of the 4 shows you mentioned just yet because they're not done. There are far better complete Gundam series for you to look into anyway aside from AGE.

In terms of stuff currently airing (or recently aired), Mawaru Penguindrum will be a good barometer of how well you can take outside-the-box anime. If you're looking for a fun slice of life show, Hanasaku Iroha is worth a look. If you want to feel warm and fuzzy inside, look into Usagi Drop.

edit: About Gundam

Although people might warn against it, I see nothing wrong with checking out the Universal Century timeline of Gundam. Check out the original Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam 0080: War In The Pocket and (here comes the controversy) Zeta Gundam. Avoid Gundam ZZ like the plague (the Zeta compilation movies retcon it out of existence anyway). If you like that universe and want to see it to completion, check out the Gundam movie Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counerattack and then go right to the recent Gundam Unicorn OVA's. You can skip Victory Gundam and Gundam F91. I have also heard very good things about the 8th MS Team OVA's.

otakuderek

I watch Guilty Crown, Gundam Age, and Persona 4 too. Two of those three are pretty fun series. Though I do need to finish GUndam 00, only other Gundam Ive watched a bit.

You might as well try out Phi Brain.

Will check out! Thanks!

Seeing as how you liked baseball anime, I'd suggest Cross Game. I say that because it's very much a dramedy as well as a baseball anime and is a good first step to branching out.

I wouldn't recommend any of the 3 shows you mentioned just yet because they're not done. There are far better complete Gundam series for you to look into anyway.

I'd recommend Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood to get you away from terrible shounen like Dragonball Z.

In terms of stuff currently airing, Mawaru Penguindrum will be a good barometer of how well you can take outside-the-box anime.

I think I have watched some Cross Game. Probably should go back and hunt that one down. Is it necessary to watch the first series before Brotherhood? Will check out Penguindrum. Thanks!

Dynedom

Will check out! Thanks!

I think I have watched some Cross Game. Probably should go back and hunt that one down. Is it necessary to watch the first series before Brotherhood? Will check out Penguindrum. Thanks!

You don't need to watch the original FMA, no. In fact, I would recommend against it. Not because the original show is bad (well, when it went off canon, it wasn't that great) but because you'd be watching the same half of the show twice. Brotherhood is what FMA is supposed to be, following most of the manga's canon to completion.

If you're bored and want to see a different take AFTER, then watch the original FMA for the whole Dante thing.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Your lies fool no-one, doomed. Pull the other one.

This would be more convincing if you didn't marathon penguindrum just a few days ago.
Hey, I didn't watch them all in a row. I was typing a paper in between each episode. Keep my mind active and sharp so that I don't have to pour over medieval romance texts for hours on end.

Besides, I disappeared for like 4 months because I had a life. Remember? :p

Guilty Crown is a bad idea. The only people who can truly appreciate it only do so because they're so jaded, even the worst of anime can't break them.

Anyway, normal suggestion is always Kino's Journey. Whether yo like it or not, it's always worth trying.

otakuderek

You don't need to watch the original FMA, no. In fact, I would recommend against it. Not because the original show is bad (well, when it went off canon, it wasn't that great) but because you'd be watching the same half of the show twice. Brotherhood is what FMA is supposed to be, following most of the manga's canon to completion.

If you're bored and want to see a different take AFTER, then watch the original FMA for the whole Dante thing.

Cool didn't know that. I believe Brotherhood is on Netflix instant. I believe I know what I'm doing tonight.

Dynedom

Ok so is Mardock Scramble one of those universally reviled / LOLworthy anime according to GAF?

Man, I always questioned the credibility of Shelf Life on ANN (much like I doubt the credibility of the entire site) but I foolishly gave them the benefit of the doubt after not visiting for some time. Shelf Life claims Mardock Scramble is Shelf Worthy? What?

otakuderek

edit: About Gundam

Although people might warn against it, I see nothing wrong with checking out the Universal Century timeline of Gundam. Check out the original Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam 0080: War In The Pocket and (here comes the controversy) Zeta Gundam. Avoid Gundam ZZ like the plague (the Zeta compilation movies retcon it out of existence anyway). If you like that universe and want to see it to completion, check out the Gundam movie Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counerattack and then go right to the recent Gundam Unicorn OVA's. You can skip Victory Gundam and Gundam F91. I have also heard very good things about the 8th MS Team OVA's.

I wanted to watch all the series in order of release but I will probably skip around. It doesn't matter on the order or stick to it?

Dynedom

I wanted to watch all the series in order of release but I will probably skip around. It doesn't matter on the order or stick to it?

It depends on what you want to experience. If you're doing it chronologically, you'd be doing pretty much what I said, except sticking 8th MS Team between the original Gundam and Zeta Gundam (although I believe both it and War In The Pocket take place DURING the events of the original Gundam series).

If you're watching them in terms of years of release, you'd still be going chronologically, with the exception of the 8th MS Team and War In The Pocket (which shouldn't surprise, considering they're both OVA's).

otakuderek

It depends on what you want to experience. If you're doing it chronologically, you'd be doing pretty much what I said, except sticking 8th MS Team between the original Gundam and Zeta Gundam (although I believe both it and War In The Pocket take place DURING the events of the original Gundam series).

If you're watching them in terms of years of release, you'd still be going chronologically, with the exception of the 8th MS Team and War In The Pocket (which shouldn't surprise, considering they're both OVA's).

I just looked at a Gundam Wiki and went "Damn...."

Dresden

Ok so is Mardock Scramble one of those universally reviled / LOLworthy anime according to GAF?

Man, I always questioned the credibility of Shelf Life on ANN (much like I doubt the credibility of the entire site) but I foolishly gave them the benefit of the doubt after not visiting for some time. Shelf Life claims Mardock Scramble is Shelf Worthy? What?

Well it's pretty bad.

Steroyd

Persona 4 - 09

Dat opening.

Dat CG.

Dat Kugiyama.

Dose Rise flags.

Wat was dat episode!?

I was staring at stiff faces with no expression with just moving lips for a few minutes, I'm quite a bit lenient when it comes to critiquing animation but god damn what the hell was that scene!?

And even Yukiho has fallen for moe Chie. *thumbs up*

Well since you watched DBZ, I'm gonna recommend this thread I made. Also Gurren Lagann.

But if you want to branch out, then you'll just have to experiment with some stuff to figure out what you like. If you want some cool suspense, check out Death Note and Kaiji. Crazy comedy; Gintama and Excel Saga. Horror; Shiki and Elfen Lied are good places to start (if you can handle a ton of gore). Of course it's a giant medium and that's just the tip of the iceberg and you'll learn the members of animegaf have a lot to say about hundreds of series. Can get a bit overwhelming, but just see what works for you.

otakuderek

Mawaru Penguindrum 01

Definitely different....but I liked it! I kept laughing a little too hard at some parts. Probably going to continue to watch. Thanks Dynedom!

Investigating Mobile Suit Gundam next. Two shows concurrently is enough for now.

Dynedom

Just watch the movies if its Gundam. The point of watching MSG, Z and ZZ is to get to the glory of Char's Counterattack, anyway.

I'm actually almost inclined to agree here, save for ZZ.

Also:

Guilty Crown - 08

I'm still sticking with this show because I'm a masochist and all (and I've seen worse quite frankly e.g. Star Driver) but I think there is a gold nugget buried beneath all the shit. It's just a question of whether you can afford a shovel. =(

I WILL HAVE FAITH.

I also think this is one of the first episodes to really do a good job linking a Void to a person's traits. I like that
it doesn't really make any sense until the end and in a way that actually develops Shu
. It's a shame it had to be buried beneath some unneeded garbage.

If they can build on the whole void-->person-->Shu's development, this show is more than salvagable.

iavi

Aside from it's awesome court scenes, and OST, Mardock Scramble is utter shit. Still, I'm a sucker for far-future stupid-fi, so I'll be watching the second combustion or whatever it's called.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Un-Go is a really interesting failure. It does so much wrong, but...I'm really looking forward to the next episode! Why?
Episode

Well...it's bad. But it crosses over into 'fun trash'. It's entertaining, but it would dirty your shelf.

The first 10 or so episodes of Brotherhood really assume the viewer has either seen the original series or read the manga, though. A lot of stuff in those episodes just gets completely skipped over under the assumption that the viewer already knows everything that happened.

Besides, the original series is fantastic.

Articalys

Sket Dance 35

This time they drew from two of the more amusing chapters involving the Quiz Society, though I thought we were going to get the Student Council's quiz challenge too, but it was alright overall.

On the awesome side though, looks like next week will finally start the next backstory arc. At last!

Both FMA series are worth watching for different reasons. Brotherhood has a stronger plot through its middle, but the beginning is rushed and loses the original's impact, and its climax loses sight of the characters.

Gintama 151

The new OP is meh - Gintoki running away isn't a consistent enough unifying factor - but the new ED is pretty cool. I like EDs which have a different art style from the rest of the show, and this one is charming. A catchy song, too.

On the awesome side though, looks like next week will finally start the next backstory arc. At last!

Looks like it's time for me to catch up on Sket Dance.

Dresden

this pain
why is it
so cold

V6HTJ.jpg

Guilty Crown 08

Beach episode. Not much to say really.

Edit; Forgot to mention
the crazy Endclave pilot was ditched by his own father, and that said father is related to Shu's Mother romantically?

Thanks, I was confused a bit on the relationship tree.

Daryl celebrating his birthday alone :( was quite sad, they really keep him from having any moment of glory

Guilty Crown 08
tumblr_lvjq3epUGz1qktlzuo1_500.gif

I thought it was a pretty nice beach episode. Shu was cool and it was nice for Tamadate to finally get involved. The ending was really touching.

Plot is becoming deeper and more gripping with
Shou's father still being alive, and against both ideas of GHQ and Gai? And that rock? I wish they would have gave us a tiny bit of explanation

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Wearing a horse mask DEFINITELY won't make you any friends 09: First half of episode = what in the fuck? Second half of episode = what the fuck is up with Sena's father's design? He's a fucking BABY! Kodaka looks older than he does. And yes, there is no doubt that Sena is what you would get if you took Kirino from OreImo and combined her with Sena from the sa-

O_O

Two Senas... both super-well endowed from different shows from AIC based on light-novels IT'S A FUCKING CONSPIRACY!!! O_O

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Un-Go 08: Huh, mysteries can be fun when Inga is not there to fucking spoil them for everyone.

Shit is going to hit the fan right about now.

jman2050

All my friend's fathers are dead 9

Sena's dad is the best character.

Also that scene had to happen sooner or later. I admire the restraint up to this point at least!

Dresden

Ben-to - VI

Now to see if this is the end of the 'good' Ben-to. Either way it was going to turn into a harem sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom