• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

PenguinDrumThursday.gif

It is time.

You're going to make me watch this with words like this.

Well I'm gonna have to watch the rest of the PVs before I can really make a judgement. Hard to really get a feel for a show from a pointless 6 minute non-introduction.

And I only mean like Gintama in terms of presentation and the fact Sugita seems to be voicing a main character rather than actual content. Again, can't really judge from 6 minutes.

wonzo

Banned
Bunny Drop 3.5

This made me really miss Bunny Drop :(

Boku no friends 9

You'd have to be a real lightweight to get pissed on a single glass of wine.

Akikan 1

TzSyD.jpg

Yep, this is exactly what I expected from a series about tsundere anthropomorphized soda cans. Not even 3 minutes in and the main character is calling a vending machine a slut for opening its slot for anyone willing to pay.

This is gonna be good.

Instro

MPD 21

That was wild.

Kind of figured Kanba was crazy and not actually talking to his parents, but the fact that the dead body was actually in the shop takes it to a whole other level though. The pufferfish and its poison seems to be a recurring element in the show now, I wonder if perhaps that is what their weapon was made out of, and possibly how the "medicine" was also made.

Branduil

Penguin Drum 21

Stuff happens.
Kanba and Masako are pretty messed up people. I don't have much hope for Tabuki and Yuri, their role in the narrative seems to be pretty much finished.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
MPD 21: Significantly better than the past few episodes.

But now I'm even more angry that they had to cram so much stuff into a single episode when they could've spread out the revelations, instead of wasting time on stupid shit no one (read: me) cares about. I have some faith in this show again, and I hope the last three episodes won't disappoint.

Dresden

wagnaria 2 - eight

for whatever reason (I suppose skyrim has warped my brain) I find all the dumb shit they do cute now. Especially Inami. Also dat yamada. Not much else to write about this show.

Takakatanashi is still a dick, though. I wish Yamada Sr. was the lead instead. Or Soma.

To be fair, that episode was apparently the exact same way in the manga (it was the episode I said was amazing for a filler a few days ago before being informed it wasn't filler at all).

Not only was this episode almost entirely one static shot, we've recently had a episode about Kagura's inability to go to sleep mostly set within one room with minimal animation, plus a half-recap episode about Hasegawa. Must have misplaced the old sock they keep their budget in.

Thoraxes

Penguindrum 21

Hooolllyyyy shiiiiitttttt, these last weeks are going to be crazy, and Ikuhara is either going to redeem or completely ruin Christmas this year.

Now for just a holy shit, here's me trying to gather all of my thoughts in one spot post that is just me listing some of the points that ran through my head as I watched this glorious episode.

Fucking Sanetoshi was and still is the boss of KIGA, group and was an intern doctor!
Kenzan is dead and his body is still there.
Yuri still holding onto that shattered dream.
How the fuck did Momoka fuck up Sanetoshi's plans? It was pretty obvious she did fuck them up, but what did she do with the fate transfer that would be enough to make her disappear?
Why were those bear things that show up in PotC's-zone in the KIGA group warehouse but only the black variety?
Why is Kanba talking to his dead parents in a ramen shop? Is it just a halloucination or something more?
Dat brother fight!

Himari as a little little girl being moe as fuck
IDu8o.gif

HHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The family is broken up now.
Is it safe to assume Chiemi is dead too?
Who exactly is their uncle?
Learning that yes, Shouma is indeed the original and only biological Takakura child was interesting. I was starting to think Kanba was the biological and it was in reverse, but I guess not. The eyes make him look so much like Kenzan.
What exactly is Kanba going to have to do because he's getting the money? I mean obviously his life, but like what else are they doing? The way people are reacting makes it sound like something worse is going to happen.
If the burden falls ont he Takaurua children, and the other two are adopted, why are the other two suffering if Shouma is the only biological child?
Was Himari trying to say she loved him during that scarf conversation?
Ringo is trying to hold onto her fragile reality.
I still ship Ringo and Shouma, so I hate everyone.
Himari is going to die, I can feel it. Ikuhara is going to ruin Christmas by making everyone cry bitch tears.
What the fuck is Shouma going to do?
We now know why #1 has a bandaid. Why do the others do what they do, and is there any correlation between what the penguins wear and their child selves?
I wonder if the Takakuras saved Kanba from going to the child broiler too.

The next three episodes are going to be wonderful.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Penguindrum 21

Was Himari trying to say she loved him during that scarf conversation?
You didn't pick up on that from ep 20? Yeah, she loves Shouma. He gave her friendship, saved her life, and gave her life meaning as a child by being the one person to care about her, and he even provided her a loving family. She owes everything to Shouma.

Theory: Sanetoshi is Kenzan

GaimeGuy

Oh man, just heard what the title of next week's episode of Penguin drum (episode 22) is going to be.

Warning: spoilers

Beautiful Coffin. :(

Thoraxes

You didn't pick up on that from ep 20? Yeah, she loves Shouma. He gave her friendship, saved her life, and gave her life meaning as a child by being the one person to care about her, and he even provided her a loving family. She owes everything to Shouma.

Theory: Sanetoshi is Kenzan

Well I (audience) always knew she did, but like, she's never explicitly said it straight out.

Also that theory would completely fuck my mind holy shit.
Also, that would be the beginning of making connections to who PotC is, as Sanetoshi seems to be a being beyond just an ordinary human at this point anyways. There has to be a reason why Himari was chosen.

Dynedom

Penguindrum - 21

Christ. The way this is going, I can't see any loose ends being left behind. It's incredible. This is going to go down as a masterpiece, even with the shoddy animation in some episodes. The pacing, the way the story is woven, everything. Nothing clicks until the end but you're gripped enough from previous episodes to recall almost everything and say "oh my god".

Nothing in this anime seems rushed to me yet they've packed in a huge amount of exposition and revelation at the very end without it feeling really disjointed (at least to me anyway).

Next 3 episodes decide the fate (lol) of this series. If it continues this momentum and finishes on a high, this is going straight into my top 3 of all time.

duckroll

Un-Go Episode 8

So this is how the show has decided to be. Not a bad decision, since the actual detective mystery writing in the show is pretty meh. This on-going plotline is much more interesting.
I assume that flashback about the cult is the main storyline of the Un-Go prequel movie? That would make sense if the movie is the origin of both Inga and Bettenou...

Definitely looking forward to what's coming next. I hope they release the movie in some way in the future too, so I can watch it!

Penguin Drum Ep21

Great plot episode. The developments are not entirely predictable, but none of it felt like an ass-pull this time either. It concludes while a few major plot points, and basically paves the way to the final chapter in the next 3 episodes. One thing I did notice though, is how strong the musical direction in this episode was. Almost every episode was perfect in terms of BGM usage. Ep20 was really good in that aspect too, so two weeks in a row means Ikuhara is working overtime! :D

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
MPD 21

Oh god what in the fuck DD:
I feel like I see these posts every week for the last few weeks, but when I'm watching the show I never really feel that impressed with the episodes. Not saying it's not a good show or anything still, but the sheer craziness of the show seems relatively tamed at this point.

Kettch

It's really amazing how much better the second season of Working!! is compared to the first. Whoever they got to improve the comedic timing really deserves a lot of acclaim. I've never seen a comedy get massively better like this before with basically the same content.

wsippel

Banned
Ok so is Mardock Scramble one of those universally reviled / LOLworthy anime according to GAF?

Man, I always questioned the credibility of Shelf Life on ANN (much like I doubt the credibility of the entire site) but I foolishly gave them the benefit of the doubt after not visiting for some time. Shelf Life claims Mardock Scramble is Shelf Worthy? What?
It's good stuff if you like brutal old school action anime like Ninja Scroll or Angel Cop. But that's obviously not what most of AnimeGAF likes. I do, though, and therefore prefer Mardock to a lot of shows AnimeGAF in general loves.

GaimeGuy

speaking of blowfish, in ep21
Dr Washizuka and sanetoshi were eating it at the end of their little conversation

mAcOdIn

Probably. Eventually.
If I've learned one thing from Ringo it's that destiny might be destiny but it doesn't just happen on its own. Not this may sound contradictory but it's not, it just means having foreknowledge of destiny is bad because then you might not take the steps necessary to make that destiny a reality. Therefore, as of today I've gone into the body pillow manufacturing business. We can not afford to rest on our laurels and wait for Ringo body pillows to be made, yes it's inevitable that they'll appear but that doesn't mean it's inevitable. Any by "we" I've taken the liberty of including you in this scheme, being that I'm a shit artist I need someone to draw/screen grab/SOMETHING Ringo and get that image back to me so I can superimpose that on our pillows and start selling them. It will be glorious.

And if you're having ideas of backing out or trying to explain to me how you can't back out if you never agreed, save it. You need this to succeed as much as I do because you want the show to be a hit, you want more stuff in the show's style to be made, am I right? You've seen the DVD sales, you know what you must do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom