• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

Mawaru-Penguindrum 21: This show is breaking my heart.

P4TwI.jpg

What's the consensus on Cowboy Bebop?

A must-see. Ending is fantastic and memorable. For once Kanno's excellent music is paired with a show that deserves it.

Don't forget to watch the movie after you finish the TV show.

Woah I must have really missed something. I assumed
Kanba and Shouma were half-siblings for some reason, with Kenzan as the father.

Kanba was adopted by the Takakuras after his and Masako's biological father died. Shouma is the only biological Takakura.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
21 Penguins
One man's
primary antagonist
is another man's
Anti-Hero

Yeah he's getting in
way over his head
but I love it. It's
romantic
if I do say so myself. Himari
trying to save him
makes it even more
moe, God help me.
He's
a killer, dude. A killer.
I don't think he's really the primary antagonist and I imagine he'll be redeemed somehow, but the guy is a bastard.
I thought you were complaining about Shoma never getting to do anything before, but it sounds like you just want him to fail.
It's grrrreat. Also has the only good Bones TV -> movie adaptation.
But the TV show was by Sunrise, so it doesn't really count.

Mawaru Penguindrum 21:
Yet another great episode.
I wasn't expecting Kanba to go so far into antagonist territory, but it is very interesting to see where it is taking his character. Even the answers we got this episode left me having more questions.

I really loved the way this episode was structured with the flashbacks in order to keep up the suspense. It was a really well planned out episode.

What's the consensus on Cowboy Bebop?

Amazing show. Definitely a part of the anime canon which everyone should see and make up their mind on. It's one of the most stylistically cool anime ever created, and the characters are wonderful.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I really didn't like the Cowboy Bebop movie much.
It just seemed kind of boring to me. Didn't click like the series did for me.
The movie is like all the best elements of the show packed into two awesome hours. It's like...the best episode, but five times as long!

iavi

The movie is like all the best elements of the show packed into two awesome hours. It's like...the best episode, but five times as long!

Which also means that it's not the best thing to go into right after marathoning the series, which I did. I still enjoyed it, but I have the feeling that I would have enjoyed it much more as a 'catch up with cast~ish' type endeavor, especially with the series' ending and all.

Eh, the movie doesn't quite reach the heights of the final few episodes of the series. It is on par with an average episode, which means it's quite good. I love the opening scene and credits.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's at least an above average episode.
Which also means that it's not the best thing to go into right after marathoning the series, which I did. I still enjoyed it, but I have the feeling that I would have enjoyed it much more as a 'catch up with cast~ish' type endeavor, especially with the series' ending and all.
Well, it was released two and a half years after the show ended. So yeah, I can see how watching it that way could be a problem.

LordCanti

21 Penguins

He's
a killer, dude. A killer.
I don't think he's really the primary antagonist and I imagine he'll be redeemed somehow, but the guy is a bastard.
I thought you were complaining about Shoma never getting to do anything before, but it sounds like you just want him to fail.

But the TV show was by Sunrise, so it doesn't really count.

Is it so wrong to want the guy that
constantly takes the punishment and takes care of them
to finally get rewarded at some point?

To be fair, in similar circumstances, I'm pretty sure most people would
have the skeezy reporter that's threatening to out their ties to a criminal organization bumped off.
You can't really think about it in terms of our
morality
because they live in a
world with magical penguins, fate switches, and other magical crap.
At this point, he's in a place where
he sits near the corpse of his father and hallucinates a conversation between himself and his parents
so it's kind of forgivable if he's not making the most
moral choices.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Is it so wrong to want the guy that
constantly takes the punishment and takes care of them
to finally get rewarded at some point?

To be fair, in similar circumstances, I'm pretty sure most people would
have the skeezy reporter that's threatening to out their ties to a criminal organization bumped off.
You can't really think about it in terms of our
morality
because they live in a
world with magical penguins, fate switches, and other magical crap.
At this point, he's in a place where
he sits near the corpse of his father and hallucinates a conversation between himself and his parents
so it's kind of forgivable if he's not making the most
moral choices.
It's a world of magical realism, but it still has standard human morality.
Like I said, I do expect there'll be a big redemptive moment for Kanba.
You mean the ones right before Julia and Vicious intrude on my awesome show again?
*terrorist fist jab*

Andrew J.

Guilty Crown 08

There was actually some plot and character development here, and the fanservice was relatively muted. Much better than what the phrase "Guilty Crown beach episode" led me to expect.

Mawaru Penguindrum 21

Sorry, seemed to have something in my eye there for a second...

Now that Himari is actually doing something we know either the show or the world is heading toward the end.

I feel like we have a much poorer grasp on Kanba's motivations than with the other siblings.

Sekaiichi Hatsukoi 2 ep 9
tumblr_lvlch2uM101qeoe32o1_500.gif

I guess this had to be the second most intense episode (after the one with Yuu Yanase's turmoil). Shouta's thoughts got me thinking. Regardless, its kind of sad that there's just two episodes left, hopefully one of those brings us back to Yuu Yanase.

Uchip

Banned
It's a world of magical realism, but it still has standard human morality.
Like I said, I do expect there'll be a big redemptive moment for Kanba.

I dont think its possible for him to be redeemed at this point
kanba vs shouma is basically confirmed

Defuser

Right now the only mystery left is the penguin queen,the diary and maybe momoka.These 3 has been taking a backseat for the past few episodes and maybe play a key part at the ending.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Because seeing the world constantly humiliate a rich blonde girl is the only reason people watch Haganai.

You forgot the "seeing a rich blonde girl humiliate an impressionable blond loli" reason.

Yeah, normally, that would be enough reason for me to watch it, but the whole "two hot, 'well endowed' girls fighting over one average wussy Japanese schoolboy" narrative premise is enough to embitter me to the show. Hell, replace "average wussy Japanese schoolboy" with "guy" and it still embitters me. Mostly because such a thing has not, and likely will not happen to me any time soon if ever.

Fucking lonely reality. ;__;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom