• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

I wanted to like it, since I adore random stuff sometimes, but the first episode was such a massive barrier to entry. The introduction of all the characters was like "Yo Dawg, we heard you liked tropes, so we put a trope inside your trope so you can be unoriginal while you're being unoriginal!"

After a while I figured "I've seen all this shit before" and just turned it off.

The last show of that type that really grabbed me was Astro Fighter Sunred. Now there was a premise that turned things on its head.

Trust Gaf on this one. Just continue watching.

If you judge an Anime by its first or second episode, you are doing it wrong. The ones that start awesome, becomae horrible (Irohana) and teh ones that start out terrible, becomes awesome (Baccano)

Infinte Stratos is, of course, one if its kind.

I realize that. For instance, the first few episode of Soul Eater were typical shonen bullshit. But sadly, I don't have time, attention span, or youth to trial-run series anymore like I did maybe a decade ago.

faridmon

I realize that. For instance, the first few episode of Soul Eater were typical shonen bullshit. But sadly, I don't have time, attention span, or youth to trial-run series anymore like I did maybe a decade ago.

Sould eater actually started good with amazing animation and it went into shittiness, but I see where you coming from and this is what is wrong with the industry. They need to be consistant with its quality and theme throughout if they want capture people like you.

Steroyd

I wanted to like it, since I adore random stuff sometimes, but the first episode was such a massive barrier to entry. The introduction of all the characters was like "Yo Dawg, we heard you liked tropes, so we put a trope inside your trope so you can be unoriginal while you're being unoriginal!"

After a while I figured "I've seen all this shit before" and just turned it off.

I'm not seeing what tropes you're seeing in the first bunch of episodes other than it being shounen which is a stretch because it plays on that, but I can assure you it's anything but "shit you've seen before".

-Minsc-

The last show of that type that really grabbed me was Astro Fighter Sunred. Now there was a premise that turned things on its head.

Makes sense, they did throw a lot of characters at you at once. If you haven't been told, the first two episodes are anime filler. The real start of the anime (ie: the start of the manga) is episode three. All those characters have their proper introductions over the span of 25+ episodes.

Edit: One shouldn't miss out of Sugita's voice work.

You don't have to watch from the beginning. Just watch episode 25 like Steroyd suggested, or episode 79; they give a much better impression of what the show is like than the opening character introduction episodes. If you don't like what you see there, then you can give up on Gintama knowing that its style of humor isn't for you.

I can honestly say that Gintama is one of the most creative shows I've seen, especially for such a long-running one. The stuff they pull off sometimes is... unbelievable.

scy

Judging by the screenscap I saw for IS ova,it looks like they shipping Houki and Ichika?

Char and Cecil got robbed!!

I've seen one episode and Houki being the one was pretty evident. Which I'm fine with, though I never got far enough to see the awesome that is Char so that's probably why I can say this.

Ezalc

If you judge an Anime by its first or second episode, you are doing it wrong. The ones that start awesome, becomae horrible (Irohana) and teh ones that start out terrible, becomes awesome (Baccano)

Infinte Stratos is, of course, one if its kind.

Baccano! was pure glorious anime from the very first scene heathen!

faridmon

What? Are you high? Did you watch it to the end?

its stupid tropes made me not finish it. It started out quite original and Ohana was great. The more I have watched it, the more she became this cliched genki Anime character.

Granted, I have been told that it gets better, however, I doubt it would come to the greatness of the first episode.

/XX/

Having seen until episode 6 already, and it still is difficult to put it down.
At least it is a holiday here!

One thing that gladly surprised me (and was more obvious after this latest episode I've seen) is that, even after seeing how charismatic the Servants are, I expected that the focus would be present on the Masters themselves, and consequently these Servants' role in the story would be more akin to a superficial representation of all those famous legends or heroes being used exclusively as mere tools, but their personalities and motivations have a bigger weight in this than I first thought, and their confrontations are more engaging because of it...

Since you just watched it, did you ever expect the popularity poll arc?

After watching 180 episodes, I thought I was prepared for anything. But nope. Even knowing it was coming, how far they took the postmodern nature of the arc still took me by surprise.
Death of the Author!

One thing I forgot to mention in my impressions was how well they planned the ED for its use in the arc. I had been wondering why they made the choice they did - it's a bit of an ED cliche, and not one Gintama has used before - then I got to the end of episode 182 and thought "Oh, you clever bastards!"

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Just want to say that the best anime of the season and one of my favorites of the year, Fate/Zero had a terrible first episode. It was literally 40 minutes of exposition dump and dudes walking in circles, wasn't really entertaining, pretty or interesting but just simply existed to create the background for the story and the characters within it.

Toward the Terra is another show I absolutely love but it really didn't start off all that strong. It's a bit like Durarara though in that the episode itself is better because it sets up the story, creating a context for the characters and the story, but just based on it's own merits they are lackluster episodes.

You really can't judge the quality of a series by its first episode. A first episode exists to do many different things, whether it's create context for the rest of the show or to go head first into what the show is all about. And then you have first episodes like in Ga-Rei Zero which well do neither but were really damn cool and effective at making you want to tune in next week.

My favorite 3 shows of Spring 2011 based on the first episodes were HanaIro, AnoHana and [C]. Steins;Gate was somewhere near the bottom. The point is give a show a couple episodes unless the first episode is so horrific you really have no desire to go on any further.

its stupid tropes made me not finish it. It started out quite original and Ohana was great. The more I have watched it, the more she became this cliched genki Anime character.

Granted, I have been told that it gets better, however, I doubt it would come to the greatness of the first episode.

The last episode does come close to if not match the greatness of the first episode, thanks to Masahiro Ando returning as episode director. Hanasaku Iroha may have had some weak character episodes, but the way they tied things together in the middle Tokyo arc and the finale was very satisfying. I ended up caring about these characters and their plights a great deal. It's a show well worth watching. (Just skip episodes 14-15.)

faridmon

The last episode does come close to if not match the greatness of the first episode, thanks to Masahiro Ando returning as episode director. Hanasaku Iroha may have had some weak character episodes, but the way they tied things together in the middle Tokyo arc and the finale was very satisfying. I ended up caring about these characters and their plights a great deal. It's a show well worth watching. (Just skip episodes 14-15.)

thanks. Now I want to watch it again.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kana Hanazawa is probably the only VA I like primarily for her voice with not even a standout role. Most of her roles have been for shit shows.

Angel Beats
, Steins;Gate, Durarara, Kuragehime, Bakemonogatari, I'd say she has an average good shows to shit shows ratio. Although I can't stand Nadeko, worst Kana Hanazawa role of all time.

mAcOdIn

... Saying this based on such a small amount of information is just silly though.
I know, right? I should have watched every revolting second, learned Japanese and found every scrap of info from the creators available, spent a few years debating them on old usenet forums with fans and any possible staff that dropped by and, finally, after having written a thesis over the issue, finally then, could I render my judgement.

huh, gaf is pro infinite stratos?

Those mech designs, and probably the worst transitions to cg since that girls pretending to be planes show.

Some of the gals are nice, but yeah, it did nothing for me o_O.

Also watched the latest persona 9 (?)

I actually kinda liked the silly idol opening, you can only expect so much from a show that seems to have a budget lower than most hentais. Charlie is really growing on me though. Anime really does need more 'man of few words' MC.

Jex

I'd like to, but I tried watching the first episode and couldn't get past all the overused tropes.

There are two things to think about.

1) Not writing an entire show off in one or two episodes (well, it really depends. If the show is going to be 12 episodes long and the 1st episode is crap that's usually a terrible sign. If it's going to be 250+ episodes it's not quite the same).

2) Not writing off an entire show in one episode when that show has also received near universal praise.

Which is another way of saying Gintama is great and you should watch it.

Jex

Speaking of which:

[Gintama: 54-65]

So I am still watching some anime and currently it's all Gintama. This show is still pretty excellent, with the serious arcs usually turning up as a special highlight. However, sometimes you'll get a regular episode that's pretty great, like the beetle collection/battling adventure, which had some great animation and excellent facial expressions (and ugly CG beetles).

The only problem is that I'm really going to have to put this show on ice, at some point, so I have the time to check out some other stuff.

Speaking of which:

[Gintama: 54-65]

So I am still watching some anime and currently it's all Gintama. This show is still pretty excellent, with the serious arcs usually turning up as a special highlight. However, sometimes you'll get a regular episode that's pretty great, like the beetle collection/battling adventure, which had some great animation and excellent facial expressions (and ugly CG beetles).

The only problem is that I'm really going to have to put this show on ice, at some point, so I have the time to check out some other stuff.

Eventually you will reach the point where some of the humor gets.. repetitive. That's when you take a minor break ;)

But yeah, the eps structures tend to be different enough that it kept me entertained in long stretches.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
As much as I'd like to start Gintama I just can't make the time for a show that long. :-/. The only reason I still watch Detective Conan is because I started back in 2000. My GOD do I feel old now... :-/

EDIT: Holy SHIT at Gundam Unicorn!

Go_Ly_Dow

Japan's Weekly DVD and CD Rankings for Nov 28 - Dec 4

DVD
*1, 42,246 *,*42,246 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.4
*2, *5,643 *,**9,345 Usavich IV
*3, *3,235 *,**3,235 Manga Nihon Mukashibanashi DVD-Box vol.5
*4, *2,876 *,**2,876 Manga Nihon Mukashibanashi DVD-Box vol.6
*5, *2,788 *,*14,150 Hakuouki Sekkaroku vol.5 Limited Edition
*6, *1,817 *,*11,030 Detective Conan Movie 15: Quarter of Silence Special Edition
*7, *1,649 *,**6,561 Detective Conan Movie 15: Quarter of Silence Standard Edition
*8, *1,610 *,**5,333 Crayon Shin-chan Movie 19: Arashi wo Yobu Ougon no Spy Daisakusen
*9, *1,584 *,**1,584 Ro-Kyu-Bu! vol.3 Limited Edition
10, *1,558 1,107,421 My Neighbor Totoro
11, *1,507 *,*10,752 Persona 4 The Animation vol.1 Limited Edition
12, *1,312 *,*12,270 Gintama' vol.5 Limited Edition
13, *1,063 *,**4,738 Sekaiichi Hatsukoi vol.6 Special Edition
14, **,979 *,**5,846 Ao no Exorcist vol.6
15, **,923 *,**7,324 Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 1000% vol.3
16, **,843 *,*41,071 Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa
17, **,803 *,**4,460 Working'!! vol.2 Limited Edition
18, **,749 *,264,264 Karigurashi no Arrietty
19, **,699 *,**3,595 Precure All-Stars DX the Dance Live: Miracle Dance Stage e Youkoso

Blu-ray
*1, 89,764 89,764 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.4
*2, *4,614 *4,614 Ro-Kyu-Bu! vol.3 Limited Edition
*3, *3,362 23,879 Tiger and Bunny vol.7 Limited Edition
*4, *2,673 26,793 Persona 4 The Animation vol.1 Limited Edition
*5, *1,977 *1,977 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai II vol.5 Limited Edition
*6, *1,717 21,393 Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai vol.6 Limited Edition

Single CD
*3, 92,621 92,621 Crayon Shin-chan "Kibo Sanmyaku"
*8, 22,084 22,084 Guilty Crown "Departures ~Anata ni Okuru Ai no Uta~"
12, 10,806 10,806 Ono Daisuke "Delight"
13, *9,687 54,446 Fate/Zero "oath sign"
16, *8,302 36,372 Guilty Crown "My Dearest"
22, *6,199 *6,199 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn "B-Bird"
36, *3,288 *3,288 Gintama' "Dilemma"
41, *2,669 10,087 Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai "Watashi no Ki Mo Chi"
46, *2,296 18,575 One Piece "We Go!"

Album CD
*9, 15,602 98,251 Mizuki Nana The Museum II