• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

mAcOdIn

With Gintama I'd be wary of buying it, it honestly seems like it's stalled as far as US releases go, it's very likely that you'll never be able to buy the entire series.

Like, volume 3 was released in Dec of 2010, volume 4 was released in Feb 2011, 3 months difference and then nothing up to this point.

cajunator

Banned
With Gintama I'd be wary of buying it, it honestly seems like it's stalled as far as US releases go, it's very likely that you'll never be able to buy the entire series.

Yeah Im thinking about that. Got burned with Full Moon Wo Sagashite. I hate partial releases. Got 7 discs into that one too. Still mad.
Ill hold off on gintama until more of it gets released (if eveR)

Branduil

I've read this post through twice, just to make sure that my eyes weren't deceiving me, but then again, you do have that Utena tag so I suppose anything is possible.

I wouldn't really say that either season is worth your time.

Season 1 has some legitimately awesome scenes and a few episodes which happen to be awesome throughout.

Like, volume 3 was released in Dec of 2010, volume 4 was released in Feb 2011, 3 months difference and then nothing up to this point.

Yeah really the best way to watch it is through Crunchyroll since you'll be able to see all of it released at this point.

cajunator

Banned
I might go that route with longer series.
Right now in my cart is the following:

Arcade Gamer Fubuki DVD (Hyb)
Brighter Than the Dawning Blue DVD Complete Collection (S)
Canaan Blu-ray Complete Collection (Hyb)
Chance Pop Session DVD Complete Collection (Hyb) (Thinpak)
Cyberteam in Akihabara DVD Box Set (Thinpak)
E's Otherwise DVD Complete Collection (Hyb) (Thinpak)
Ga-Rei-Zero DVD/Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb)
Gakuen Alice DVD Collection (S) - Litebox
Here is Greenwood DVD (Hyb)
Himawari! (Season 1) DVD Complete Collection (S)
Koihime Muso DVD Complete Collection (S)
Maria-Holic DVD Complete Collection (S)
Melody of Oblivion Bargain Bundle (Hyb)
MM! DVD Complete Collection (S)
Nanaka 6/17 DVD Complete Collection (Hyb)
Sugar, A Little Snow Fairy DVD Collection 1 (Hyb)
Xam'd Lost Memories Blu-ray Holiday Bundle (Hyb)
You're Under Arrest Holiday DVD Bundle (S)

Is anything in here known to be completely shit and something I must avoid?
Keep in mind most of it is pretty cheap right now.

mAcOdIn

Having seen both Himawari and Himawari!! I can safely say avoid that fucking show like the plague.

I would also avoid MM!, Canaan and Koihime Muso but haven't seen all the rest to make a judgement.

I bought the You're Under Arrest set myself and also got Here and there Now and Then or whatever it was called, they were both good deals.

Branduil

[Darker Than Black]

So, you're saying that people should look for the fights on youtube?

That wouldn't be a bad way to watch it. You'd miss out on Hei being a sociopathic bastard though.

If you have to limit it, I'd watch episodes:

5, 6, 13, 14, 19, and 20.

cajunator

Banned
Having seen both Himawari and Himawari!! I can safely say avoid that fucking show like the plague.

I would also avoid MM! and Koihime Muso but haven't seen all the rest to make a judgement.

I bought the You're Under Arrest set myself and also got Here and there Now and Then or whatever it was called, they were both good deals.

MM! and Koihime muso are pretty cheap so I dont mind taking a risk on those.
Whats bad about himawari?

mAcOdIn

MM! and Koihime muso are pretty cheap so I dont mind taking a risk on those.
Whats bad about himawari?
Everything? It's about a lame male teacher who gets assigned to teach at a female ninja school and apparently is going to one day get it on with one of the students, I'll leave it a secret as to who but you can guess pretty easy. Anyways, all the girls in this ninja school are stupid as is the teacher so they don't have good characterization to rely on. Then you have the art and animation which is just terrible. Even some of the VA's voices are fucking annoying as shit. And then the story goes off into some lame sci-fi territory so not even the terrible plot is really at all interesting.

Himawari is a terrible show by any and all accounts.

Branduil

11vptt1.gif

Hei being a legitimately bad person was easily the best part of the series.

cajunator

Banned
Everything? It's about a lame male teacher who gets assigned to teach at a female ninja school and apparently is going to one day get it on with one of the students, I'll leave it a secret as to who but you can guess pretty easy. Anyways, all the girls in this ninja school are stupid as is the teacher so they don't have good characterization to rely on. Then you have the art and animation which is just terrible. Even some of the VA's voices are fucking annoying as shit. And then the story goes off into some lame sci-fi territory so not even the terrible plot is really at all interesting.

Himawari is a terrible show by any and all accounts.

ok, Ill leave it for when it hits bargain bin.

makes room for osme older series.

mAcOdIn

Ga-Rei-Zero starts interesting and then after like the second episode starts going downhill fast.

X'amd just sucks ass. Only good thing about that is the art and the OPs and EDs. Oh and Raigyo.

But to pick those two shows as the worst of such a bad list, that's just silly.

Dresden

Ga-Rei-Zero starts interesting and then after like the second episode starts going downhill fast.

X'amd just sucks ass. Only good thing about that is the art and the OPs and EDs. Oh and Raigyo.

Out of all the shit packed in that post, you chose the two somewhat decent shows to leave out!

Kagami

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

I would also avoid MM!, Canaan and Koihime Muso but haven't seen all the rest to make a judgement.

Shut up Heretic!

Jex

Out of all the shit packed in that post, you chose the two somewhat decent shows to leave out!

Yeah, it's pretty bizarre. X'amd is like, what, 65% of good show? It could have been a lot better, of course, perhaps if they'd known what the hell the story was about and where it was going (see: the mask arc). There's a lot of good things about it though and, barring parts of FMA:Brotherhood it's the last interesting thing that they've made since 2009. While FMA:B was certainly solid, it was another anime adaptation of a manga that we'd already seen adapted, while X'amd was at least a 'new' work.

cajunator

Banned

Ive seen some of both series and liked it.

Anyway, this is the new list. Added in nana 7 of 7 since I liked that show and always wanted to buy it and of course K-ON because K-ON is just great. And more Squid Girl, because HNNNNNGH.

K-ON! Blu-ray 4 (Hyb)
NaNa 7 of 7 DVD Bargain Bundle (Hyb)
Squid Girl Season 1 DVD Part 2 (Hyb)

I'm pretty satisfied with this list.
I'm trying to remember all the late 80's early 90's shows I liked from my childhood and when I first got into anime.

Gintamen

Steins;Gate 11
When did the series become such a psycho-thriller? Okarin is my hero!
Curse you, cold-blooded pervert girl genius....

mAcOdIn

Ive seen some of both series and liked it.

Anyway, this is the new list. Added in nana 7 of 7 since I liked that show and always wanted to buy it and of course K-ON because K-ON is just great. And more Squid Girl, because HNNNNNGH.

I'm pretty satisfied with this list.
I'm trying to remember all the late 80's early 90's shows I liked from my childhood and when I first got into anime.
Well I'd probably skip Squid Girl personally as it will probably get a complete set and I favor those but that's just a personal opinion.

Also, if you're looking for good older shows look no further than Iria: Zeiram but sadly it is not on sale yet, I'm hoping it will be though!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I might go that route with longer series.
Right now in my cart is the following:

Himawari! (Season 1) DVD Complete Collection (S)
MM! DVD Complete Collection (S)

Is anything in here known to be completely shit and something I must avoid?
Keep in mind most of it is pretty cheap right now.

Skip out on Canaan, Maria-Holic, Melody of Oblivion, MM. Would recommend Ga-Rei and Xam'd the most out of the bunch. No real opinion on the rest, Gakuen Alice might be up your alley and I've been meaning to check out You're Under Arrest forever now.

Morris

Disco Devil
Oniisama e 21

Mariko had me rolling the entire episode :lol

Also, I can't give enough praise to Nanako's still shots, they're consistently awesome. I might even change my avatar one day with one of those!

cajunator

Banned
Well I'd probably skip Squid Girl personally as it will probably get a complete set and I favor those but that's just a personal opinion.

Also, if you're looking for good older shows look no further than Iria: Zeiram but sadly it is not on sale yet, I'm hoping it will be though!

I have three copies of this. I think that's enough.

As for Squid Girl, its cheap and I can re-buy it later. Probably give the older discs to a friend when the full 1+2 season set comes out. I need Squid Girl on my shelf now. Its imperative.

OMFG THERE IT IS. SABER MARIONETTE J.
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/OA=bweSEMA9MnUpP=x/browse/item/68616/4/0/0

I wish I could find Dominion Tank Police.

Skip out on Canaan, Maria-Holic, Melody of Oblivion, MM. Would recommend Ga-Rei and Xam'd the most out of the bunch. No real opinion on the rest, Gakuen Alice might be up your alley and I've been meaning to check out You're Under Arrest forever now.

Been wanting to check out Maria-holic. I liked Melody of Oblivion (whaTI watched of it) and Canaan has an interesting plot to me. I reallyl iked whaT I saw of Xamsd and I have heard some good things about ga rei zero.

And yes, you should check out You're Under Arrest, like...NOW.

Gintamen

Which has a more gripping story/plot: Gankutsuou or Mushishi? I've seen the first couple of Mushishi, but they were so episodic...

Jex

Oniisama e 21

Mariko had me rolling the entire episode :lol

Also, I can't give enough praise to Nanako's still shots, they're consistently awesome. I might even change my avatar one day with one of those!
Mariko is a real tough nut. You have to watch out for men, they'll try and seduce you with their knowledge of obscure history, or perhaps just by sitting to close to you at the table. It must be all those powerful hormones.

cajunator

Banned
Can anyone think of shows from the era of 80-90s like Bubblegum Crisis, Dominion Tank Police, Burn Up W, Dirty Pair? Maybe some OVAs i am not thinking of. I want nostalgic HNNNGH.

Which has a more gripping story/plot: Gankutsuou or Mushishi? I've seen the first couple of Mushishi, but they were so episodic...

Mushi-Shi is completely episodic, with Ginko being the only connecting factor, but each episode is gripping in its own right as an examination of the relationship between humans and the supernatural. Gankutsuou is not episodic, and has an excellent take on an already gripping narrative from The Count of Monte Cristo. Both are top-notch shows.

mAcOdIn

I have three copies of this. I think that's enough.
Nice, I still don't own it yet.
As for Squid Girl, its cheap and I can re-buy it later. Probably give the older discs to a friend when the full 1+2 season set comes out. I need Squid Girl on my shelf now. Its imperative.
Alright, so long as you've given it thought, I don't dislike the show I just really prefer whole season or series collections.
I wish I could find Dominion Tank Police.
Most shows from that era are sadly out of print.
Been wanting to check out Maria-holic. I liked Melody of Oblivion (whaTI watched of it) and Canaan has an interesting plot to me. I reallyl iked whaT I saw of Xamsd and I have heard some good things about ga rei zero.

And yes, you should check out You're Under Arrest, like...NOW.
Maria+Holic is ok. To me it's not a buy but it's not terrible either. Canaan though does suck. Xam'd and Gai Rei Zero to me are ok just not must owns much like Maria+Holic.

And yes, he should watch You're Under Arrest, damn someone needs to grab the license for the first series and re-release it in a nice set!
Can anyone think of shows from the era of 80-90s like Bubblegum Crisis, Dominion Tank Police, Burn Up W, Dirty Pair? Maybe some OVAs i am not thinking of. I want nostalgic HNNNGH.
Maybe stuff like Vampire Princess Miyu, Project A-ko, Macross Plus, Akira, those are all still around.

cajunator

Banned
Nice, I still don't own it yet.
Alright, so long as you've given it thought, I don't dislike the show I just really prefer whole season or series collections.
Most shows from that era are sadly out of print.

Maria+Holic is ok. To me it's not a buy but it's not terrible either. Canaan though does suck. Xam'd and Gai Rei Zero to me are ok just not must owns much like Maria+Holic.

And yes, he should watch You're Under Arrest, damn someone needs to grab the license for the first series and re-release it in a nice set!

Maybe stuff like Vampire Princess Miyu, Project A-ko, Macross Plus, Akira, those are all still around.

Rightstuf had a bargain bin sale on this. I picked up the full first season on 13 discs for next to nothing.

You can still get each disc for cheap
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/ca...x/browse/search/5/4/0/0/results/desc/asc/50/1

Also, it is cheaper for me to rebuy season two since it comes bundled with season 3 for 30 bucks less lol.

I don't really care about the reception it gets outside of here. Why would I? Gintama's writing it a step above most other comedies.

The internet as a whole has terrible taste in anime, but it's pretty reasonable in here.

I'm just saying there are anime fans outside of gaf. Having a small reference pool usually isn't good in regards to discovering new series and stuff. I mean it did take over half a decade for you guys to get to good stuff like Gintama and OP movie 6 while the rest of the internet was gushing over them for years after all.

Gintamen

Im at that episode too. Each episode is so gripping and the characters.

I think my favorite character in the series is either Shining Finger or Mayuri.
You should watch the following episoderight now! XD

Thanks for the replies. Will take Gankutsuou, I need to finish them in one two goes or the chances are high that they will end up on my to-watch/on-hold list too fast....

Steins;Gate 12
I knew she was suspect all the time, damn! Show was so fun, completely superseded what I knew about ChäoS;HEAd.

cajunator

Banned
Took Canaan off the list to make room for Saber Marionette J. The deed is done.
Of course, work has gone and fucked me over. My coworker is out indefinitely and they put us working on a 6 on, 4 off schedule which sucks fat shitballs. I wont even have time to watch all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom