• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
2) Not writing off an entire show in one episode when that show has also received near universal praise.

I love Gintama, but this is far from true outside of the small reference pool of 20-30 gaffers that post about it. It gets just as much hate as the other big shounens.

I still think he should watch it though.

Branduil

I love Gintama, but this is far from true outside of the small reference pool of 20-30 gaffers that post about it. It gets just as much hate as the other big shounens.

I still think he should watch it though.

I somehow doubt it gets as much hate as Naruto and Bleach. Even if it was only because it's less well-known.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That drop for Persona 4:The Cartoon is huge.
Anime is all day one perch.

Yeah, other than the odd troll, every serious arc resolves the same way and the comedy can get tiring. I just think the overall writing is stronger than most comedy series (American, Japanese, live action, cartoon, whatever) in general.

Jex

I don't really care about the reception it gets outside of here. Why would I? Gintama's writing it a step above most other comedies.

The internet as a whole has terrible taste in anime, but it's pretty reasonable in here.

Branduil

Duly noted *checks off list*

Remember that they're editing it down to a reasonable length. There's always hope!

It occurred to me that instead of just cutting it down to the best scenes, they could just edit every scene to half its length and most of them would be improved.

Somebody please tell me that all that RKB sold to something other than grown men with backpacks?

It sold to a generation of young elementary school girls who are now emboldened by its awesome themes of feminism to go out and play basketball. Is that lie sufficient for you?

jman2050

It sold to a generation of young elementary school girls who are now emboldened by its awesome themes of feminism to go out and play basketball. Is that lie sufficient for you?

I'm pretty sure they've been emboldened to do something, and that something isn't basketball.

Jex

EVA CUSTOM MOVIE on Vimeo
http://vimeo.com/33141089

To personalize various products the way you like it with EVA CUSTOM (http://evacustom.jp/). Another brilliant example on how to take advantage of the exponential cool factor of the franchise. Studio Khara (or χαρα) sure knows what's up!

I think it's another way to note just how much god damn money they make off Evangelion merchandising. They can really go above and beyond with that stuff.
o_O

Marimite?

I... don't think that's a moe show

Yeah but, how do you define a moe show?

iavi

Some of them probably have fannypacks.

Wouldn't that only count for those in stealth mode?

Well the ones who never leave the house don't really need a backpack.

Always prepare for the worst.

You've only given me a band-aid. I need healing, Hellsing. Healing!

Jex

Fuck, I was going to post that. :(

Also, it's good to have pure haremshit again
. The efficiency of this show is still amazing.

Do you realise how sick you sound? Like some part of you has become warped and disfigured? Did anime do that to you? Or was it the people in this thread?

Jex

Nah, most OVAs are now something dumb like a beach episode.

Yeah, they used to be about real serious stuff, like girls eating cake.

nenecake.jpg

Jex

It's not that simple.

Let's just say that AnimeGAF has.... embraced the horror of Infinite Stratos.

That's like say we've all fallen and become corrupted. I don't want to think that we're already that far gone. I think that we can still be saved. Some us, anyway.
Eventually you will reach the point where some of the humor gets.. repetitive. That's when you take a minor break ;)

But yeah, the eps structures tend to be different enough that it kept me entertained in long stretches.
I certainly don't disagree about that, even though I feel that happens for nearly every comedy. It's pretty good about mixing things up though, which is why it's good to have the 'serious' arcs in there from time to time.

As much as I'd like to start Gintama I just can't make the time for a show that long. :-/. The only reason I still watch Detective Conan is because I started back in 2000. My GOD do I feel old now... :-/
Bah, weaklings. It's not like you watch the show in a week, rather you pick at it a little at a time and then one day you realize you're almost caught up, like I am now. And once I do catch up to Gintama, I plan on leaping right into Urusei Yatsura. Long-running shows forever!

It's like I said about LoGH, you can watch 200 episodes of 20 bad shows or 200 episodes of 1 good show - the choice is yours!

Jex

How about just watching 26 episodes of 1 good show?

That's also an option! Or, in my case, I'm planning on inserting a few of those twenty-six episode shows in-between the three hundred episodes of Gintama so I that don't get bored of it. I think that kind of comedy serves well as a pallet cleanser, and other shows can act as a pallet cleanser of it, so it works both ways.

I'll admit that I wouldn't really want to do a straight marathon of any show over a hundred episodes.

How about just watching 26 episodes of 1 good show?

Sure! I myself have watched several 12/24 episode shows, as well as shorts and movies, during the months I've been watching Gintama. There's no need to watch only one show at a time. Heck, there's no need to watch all episodes of a long-running show if you don't feel like it, especially if it's an episodic one you can skip around in without much issue.

All I'm saying is - don't let length of a show deter you from watching any of it. If you're tempted to watch shit like IS, why not spend that time on a few quality episodes of Gintama instead?

Jex

Also, is Darker than Black season 1 worth getting or should I just stick with 2?

I've read this post through twice, just to make sure that my eyes weren't deceiving me, but then again, you do have that Utena tag so I suppose anything is possible.

I wouldn't really say that either season is worth your time.

cajunator

Banned
Im stopping at 400$. Beyond that is probably overkill.
So no Darker than Black on this order.

They have some stuff like Arcade Gamer Fubuki and Here is Greenwood and more seasons of youre Under Arrest. Might as well buy everything now rather than when they mark it up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom