• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shakugan no Shana 2:

I'm...bored. This is boring. Even Rie sounds bored voicing Shana in this show. She doesn't even sound like she's putting any effort into "Urusai urusai urusai!" Who the hell ever heard of a bored tsundere?

mAcOdIn

Lafiel said:
Come on bro, you don't know what one of the greatest american directors is? pfft
the apartment >>>>>> any s&w episode
Nice deflection to my question though, so Billy Wilder isn't the English spelling of Lawrence Craft or Holo, so my point still stands!
Ezalc said:
She's not blonde, nor does it look like she has blue eyes. That's not what I call perfect.
She also doesn't seem as infectiously happy or outgoing as Nino.
Jexhius said:
I'm not sure what you mean.

Even if you, personally don't find the episodes to be 'good', it can still be said that there is some difference between the episodes themselves. They are different from one another in a number of ways, one of which is direction and another will be animation.

Episode 10 would be better if the art was far less inconsistent and shoddy. That might not make it 'good', but compared to what it is now, there would definitely be an improvement.
I never said there were no difference, merely that whatever differences there are are inconsequential because in the end they all suck, if someone spruced up Spice and Wolf in that manner it would not make the shoe any better, sure you might be able to watch it with your beret on without feeling self conscious and now may be able to sneak it into a discussion at your next film critic convention without feeling ashamed but the actual quality of the show will not have changed, just one aspect that barely, if at all plays a part on the show and is nothing but a mere technicality. Perhaps if I wanted to study Spice and Wolf rather than be entertained by it I'd give two shits.
Jexhius said:
Well, a some nicely animated close-up's on the main characters faces would have been extremely helpful, yes.
Zetsuboushita!
A Black Falcon said:
Dio - Yeah, there's no explanation for how he survived, but somehow he clearly managed it... at first I thought he had died too, but yeah, that voice at the end does show that he lived.

Similarly, even though the musketeer guy also was suggested to have died, that ending showed that no, he did indeed survive, and ended up with the Disith girl. Happy ending, I like that. :)

Where they went at the end - We've argued about this before, and just like then, I still believe that what happens at the end is that the ship opens up and terraforms (or something) the planet they are already on, to make it more habitable, as it was supposed to have done when they first settled the place but didn't... but hopefully this next series will resolve this point for good, whether they are indeed still on that same planet or not, whether it did improve the place, etc. But that's what I think happened.
Oh yeah, it's been awhile but now I remember, after watching it I did feel it was most likely terraforming the planet as well, but I did bitch about the ambiguousness of it all.
A Black Falcon said:
As good as Spice and Wolf was, the fact that sometimes it did feel like an economics lesson -- and I really don't like economics -- was the one negative about the series, I thought.
Huh. I mean, the shit is on such a basic level that it's not really a lesson at all, I have to put more thought into finding an ATM that will charge me the least fees to pull cash out from my bank than I do deciphering one of Lawrence's schemes. I think you just wanna nitpick the show of the forever to be different, probably emboldened by those heretics Lafiel and Jexhius.
A Black Falcon said:
So you're still wrong about it, then.
Well I obviously don't believe myself to be in error but I also haven't watched any further since the last time(IRC wise, in the thread yes I have progressed a bit) so it's a given that whatever stance you last saw me take that I am sticking to it.
A Black Falcon said:
I remember being moderately entertained by all three seasons of El Hazard, but I'm not sure which was best or worst... The Wanderers is the longest one though (the OVAs are 11 eps, and the third season 13 eps), so there is that (for good or bad). The setting of the third season (The Alternative World) is interesting, in that one they get pulled into yet another world, and are in a giant machine city style place. On that note Wanderers might be the weakest of the three seasons, sure, but it was entertaining enough to finish, certainly, at least. The cast's alright, though of course both the cast and plot are often pretty cliche. I'd say the franchise is okay, sure. It's certainly nothing great, and yes, sometimes it's really stupid, but overall it's probably okay. It can be amusing at times too.
Hold on, there's only a two episode difference between the Ova and the TV series? That's, well, silly. But anyways, whether the Wanderers is the weakest or not matters little as it's total garbage, if the rest of the franchise is similar, even allowing for slight variations in quality, the franchise is trash.

mAcOdIn

I don't see why we'd care about a guy who wrote Madoka AND some episodes of Phantom: Requim for the Phantom, in fact it kinda makes me wanna stay away from anything he does. Madoka was alright but Phantom was really THAT bad.

People should just accept that Persona 4 will be the show of the fall.

Shakugan no Shana 4:

The action seems serviceable, anyways. J.C. Staff does have a certain skill with making action look pretty decent with a low budget. There's a right way and a wrong way to use still-framing, I suppose.

Everybody's face in this show looks so incredibly generic in this show. It's hard to make anime faces look so generic that there is literally nothing which can be said about them, but this show somehow manages it. I think that's what is so disconcerting about everyone's faces, that they look like every anime face ever drawn.

More fanservice and tsun-tsun in this episode. I'm okay with this.

mAcOdIn

I'll admit it, I was actually interest in the premise behind Shakugan no Shana, despite the first season being more or less boring I had a lot of hope for the second as I thought it'd really speed things up, instead it was more of the same, except with a better OP. So basically, if you're enjoying what you have now you'll probably be happy but if you're watching with the expectation that it will get better, well, it wont.

Lain

mAcOdIn said:
I don't see why we'd care about a guy who wrote Madoka AND some episodes of Phantom: Requim for the Phantom, in fact it kinda makes me wanna stay away from anything he does. Madoka was alright but Phantom was really THAT bad.
Don't make me ask Lelouch to drive the cart to your house. Not even Saya could save you.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
mAcOdIn said:
He probably wasn't that responsible creatively for Phantom in that case though. People mostly like gen for his VN work and madoka.

I never said there were no difference, merely that whatever differences there are are inconsequential because in the end they all suck, if someone spruced up Spice and Wolf in that manner it would not make the shoe any better, sure you might be able to watch it with your beret on without feeling self conscious and now may be able to sneak it into a discussion at your next film critic convention without feeling ashamed but the actual quality of the show will not have changed, just one aspect that barely, if at all plays a part on the show and is nothing but a mere technicality. Perhaps if I wanted to study Spice and Wolf rather than be entertained by it I'd give two shits.
But direction is part of the enjoyment you derive from the work! so it helps that it's done well.

Articalys

Apparently, when Kenji Kamiyama announces something new, it becomes a pretty big deal:
The official website for the Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. Solid State Society 3D film announced on Tuesday that Kenji Kamiyama's unveiling of his new anime feature will be streamed live on October 4. Kamiyama is the director behind such anime as Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Eden of the East, and Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit. He is personally revealing his new project by presenting footage from it in a Tokyo theater on that day.

The YouTube, Ustream, and Nico Nico Douga services will all be streaming the announcement for free on October 4 at 8:30 p.m. in Japan (7:30 a.m. EDT). To show their appreciation to their fans, the staff of the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society film will also stream the 2D version of the film for free.

Kamiyama will appear in person at Tokyo's Shinjuku Wald 9 theater for the event, but four other theaters in Sapporo, Nagoya, Osaka, and Fukuoka will simulcast the event via a satellite feed, in addition to the free online streams.
(source ANN)

If you want to bookmark the links early, here you go:
Youtube
Ustream
Niconico

mAcOdIn

Lain said:
Don't make me ask Lelouch to drive the cart to your house. Not even Saya could save you.
Don't tell me this hack also had something to do with Gaess.
Jintor said:
I'm with Odin.
Who?
Lafiel said:
He probably wasn't that responsible creatively for Phantom in that case though. People mostly like gen for his VN work and madoka.
So Madoka was passable, I guess his VNs must be spectacular or some shit for anyone to care? Hint: I bet they're also average. Anyways, nice defense, "well yeah Phantom sucked and this guy wrote some of it but even then I'm sure it wasn't his fault, he didn't have full creative freedom," right.
Lafiel said:
But direction is part of the enjoyment you derive from the work! so it helps that it's done well.
For a monkey maybe. Lets put it this way, do you feel less entertained in a conversation because you can't zoom in on the other person or create light filters and whatnot on the fly to frame their speaking? Sure, you look at different parts and you and the other party move and shit but this type of direction is something that only exists in film, I'm convinced it was first started as a way to sell mediocre stories to people who have ADD. I can say that because I have been diagnosed with ADD, but I'm immune to their petty tricks. Again, if something is good it is good, if it's bad it doesn't matter how you frame it, what light you put it under or anything of the sort.

And I don't understand wishing for "better" direction versus "lazy" direction when lazy to me is that which would be the most realistic. You're no longer enjoying the work but the work done on the work, that's just too meta for me. If you want that go watch a winamp visualization, when you wanna see a real show come back and rewatch Spice and Wolf.

Edit: Also Team Ano Hana represent, destroying Iroha in the sales once again!

mAcOdIn said:
I'll admit it, I was actually interest in the premise behind Shakugan no Shana, despite the first season being more or less boring I had a lot of hope for the second as I thought it'd really speed things up, instead it was more of the same, except with a better OP. So basically, if you're enjoying what you have now you'll probably be happy but if you're watching with the expectation that it will get better, well, it wont.

Shakugan no Shana 5:

I feel like watching this show is actually killing my brain cells. It's just so incredibly dumb. At least there's some action in the past 2 episodes so I'm not so bored. When it's just the various utterly bland characters talking at each other, it's terribly boring. It takes a certain amount of skill to make this otherwise decent premise as boring as it is turning out to be, so hats off to J.C. Staff for making it happen I guess.

Even as a Rie Kugimiya vehicle this show is kind of disappointing. Kanzaki H. Aria had roughly 4,276 times more personality than Shana does. I don't get how this show manages to get 3 seasons of 24 episodes each but the vastly more entertaining Badass Aria only got 13 episodes with almost no chance of renewal.

Reknoc

Squid Girl S1 1 - 2

Cute but nothing else really. I fail to be impressed with the "puns" which they're not really. Replacing words with some sort of variant of squid isn't a pun, it's basically what the Smurfs did.

mAcOdIn

Unknown Soldier said:
Shakugan no Shana 5:

I feel like watching this show is actually killing my brain cells. It's just so incredibly dumb. At least there's some action in the past 2 episodes so I'm not so bored. When it's just the various utterly bland characters talking at each other, it's terribly boring. It takes a certain amount of skill to make this otherwise decent premise as boring as it is turning out to be, so hats off to J.C. Staff for making it happen I guess.

Even as a Rie Kugimiya vehicle this show is kind of disappointing. Kanzaki H. Aria had roughly 4,276 times more personality than Shana does. I don't get how this show manages to get 3 seasons of 24 episodes each but the vastly more entertaining Badass Aria only got 13 episodes with almost no chance of renewal.
Perhaps that Kanzaki H. Aria is the better Aria but the better Kanzaki is in another bad show, A Certain Magical Index.

But yeah, that's it, there is no point higher than this for the show, the plot stays dumb, the action stays stale, the characters stay dumb, the only thing to look forward to is the second season's Kotoko OP which was actually kind of bad ass.

duckroll

mAcOdIn said:

I think you're missing the point. The point is that one of the big reasons why Fate/Zero was hyped up is that it's based on a series of novels written by the guy who wrote Madoka. There is really no other reason, because Type-Moon sucks, and everything Type-Moon touches sucks. Ufotable also sucks, and pretty much everything they touch sucks. Hence, if the original writer is the only reason some people care about the series, and he's not even writing the anime, well, that doesn't sound good!

mAcOdIn

duckroll said:
I think you're missing the point. The point is that one of the big reasons why Fate/Zero was hyped up is that it's based on a series of novels written by the guy who wrote Madoka. There is really no other reason, because Type-Moon sucks, and everything Type-Moon touches sucks. Ufotable also sucks, and pretty much everything they touch sucks. Hence, if the original writer is the only reason some people care about the series, and he's not even writing the anime, well, that doesn't sound good!
And you mine, I'm saying that HE also seems to sucks.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
mAcOdIn said:

Hating on Butch is like hating on Saya. It is blatantly incorrect to do so and not in your interests to do so either.

You're basically familiar with 2 things he worked on, 1 of them being totally awesome (screw the haters) and yet somehow you feel the need to rail on the guy.

And please don't tell me your Ano Hana defense was actually serious.

duckroll said:

Really? There are plenty of people who enjoy Type-Moon and plenty of people who enjoy Ufotable works. Asserting otherwise is entirely disingenuous.

Risette

A Good Citizen
darkside31337 said:
Really? There are plenty of people who enjoy Type-Moon and plenty of people who enjoy Ufotable works. Asserting otherwise is entirely disingenuous.
Plenty of people like bad things, nothing new here.

mAcOdIn

darkside31337 said:
Hating on Butch is like hating on Saya. It is blatantly incorrect to do so and not in your interests to do so either.

You're basically familiar with 2 things he worked on, 1 of them being totally awesome (screw the haters) and yet somehow you feel the need to rail on the guy.
Well I did qualify my statement with "seems" and other similar words! But I don't think I'd call Phantom awesome, the haters were right!
darkside31337 said:
And please don't tell me your Ano Hana defense was actually serious.
It is, I follow through most times, I staked my claim way back when and I stand by it, but that's as far as it goes as I haven't actually watched AnoHana past episode 3 nor HanaIro past episode 5, did see a short bit of AnoHana's finale though, lol.
duckroll said:
Everyone sucks in the anime industry. What's your point?
That was my point.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Aigis said:
Plenty of people like bad things, nothing new here.

Obviously. Otherwise things like K-On and Idolmaster wouldn't be popular.

Hell why bother even trying to make Fate/zero a good show? It's going to sell no matter what! Pack it in and call it a day.

Risette

A Good Citizen
darkside31337 said:
Hell why both even trying to make Fate/zero a good show? It's going to sell no matter what! Pack it in and call it a day.
Considering that ufotable is making it, that's probably what they're exactly going to do.

Steroyd

Bakatest Ni - 12

This second season is so wierd to watch, first it looks like the show has run out of ideas, then it recycles the same jokes/areas, then it gives up being a comedy all together and goes down the pantomime route and then it remembers what the show is about from the first season right at the end.

Blue Exorcist 23
I dont even know whats going on anymore.
Did they really try to paint Satan as not being a true antagonist? Is no one truly evil?
Pretty wonky animation at times.

Toriko 1
Finally decided to start it. Opening theme song has too much going on, but I liked the ending song. The opening felt like it had tons of spoilers but it was nice seeing all of my favorite characters. It will take awhile getting used to Komatsu's voice, he sounds quite young.

duckroll said:

Kara no Kyoukai was pretty fucking awesome, nonsensical story be damned. That shit was 100% real.

duckroll

Unknown Soldier said:
Kara no Kyoukai was pretty fucking awesome, nonsensical story be damned. That shit was 100% real.

It was 100% real alright.

100% real dumb.

100% real ugly.

100% real bad.

100% real. Accept no substitutes!

duckroll said:
It was 100% real alright.

100% real dumb.

100% real ugly.

100% real bad.

100% real. Accept no substitutes!

Whatever. I guess your shtick is to hate Type-Moon and ufotable while worshipping Bones. I'll file it next to K-ON sucks and Shaft sucks and whatever else sucks these days.

neogafitonlyhateseverything.gif

weeaboo said:
Aww shit. Well I have faith in ufotable. And Kara no Kyoukai is awesome, fuck the haters

brofist.jpg

Steroyd

Blue Exorcist 22 - 24

Blah, the show is all over the place, by shounen power level standards Rin went from getting whooped by the Earth king to one shotting him and taking on Paladin level opponents with the only training being that he can light a candle, and now Satan
has pure intentions of bringing Gehenna and Assiah together, because his heart was moved by a woman?
WHAT!?

scy

Unknown Soldier said:
hating on Shana

I dunno. Perhaps it's merely been the years but I really enjoyed Shana when I first watched it. Nothing terribly unique to set it apart from other things but there was a certain charm to it; that or I still just eat up anything with a tsundere involved, I guess. J.C. Staff more or less butchers the adaptation though.

That said, now? Now I can't sit through the first two seasons. Which is a shame as I clearly remember enjoying myself when I first came across it. Even the stupid made-the-fuck-up stuff (i.e., half of both seasons). I'm awaiting Shana Final just to put this whole thing to bed and be done with it. That and to see how they segue into the finale with the way the anime went into the end of the second season.

Profound sadness.

Defuser

cosmicblizzard said:
Gintama 204

Cute episode. Poor Katsura always on standby.

I also gotta say this is one of the EXTREMELY rare times where I love both the OP and ED. It's crazy and really makes me look forward to the coming episodes more than any other season.
204 still beats the rest of the gintama' episodes imo my favourite of all.Apart from the valentine story which has Tsukuyo <3, the new years card is ingenius in terms how they can go card after card being consistently fast ,funny and ending it with katsura's card beautifully being spit by Gintoki. How the fuck Sorachi keeps on writing this funny shit for years.

And yeah the OP rocks,always enjoyed watching the start of odd job's trolling faces to the end of Da! Da! Da!

jman2050

I've been saying for ages rhat Shana is one of the poster childs for bland mediocrity. I can't even work up the will to actively hate on it.

Ryuukan

Defuser said:
204 still beats the rest of the gintama' episodes imo my favourite of all.Apart from the valentine story which has Tsukuyo <3, the new years card is ingenius in terms how they can go card after card being consistently fast ,funny and ending it with katsura's card beautifully being spit by Gintoki. How the fuck Sorachi keeps on writing this funny shit for years.

And yeah the OP rocks,always enjoyed watching the start of odd job's trolling faces to the end of Da! Da! Da!

Gintama remains the universal positive force in animegaf.

Steroyd

Utena 21 - 23

Utena 21

Akio's going to impregnate me isn't he?

Utena 22

Akio using his moves again.

Wait Tokiko's brother is called
Mamiya? hey wait a minute.

Mamyia, Himemiya, Mamyia, Himemiya, Mamyia, Himemiya, Mamyia, Himemiya,
hmmm....

Utena - 23

I... sort of saw it coming but still...

What what what what wat wat wat wat wut wut wut wut wut!?

PdotMichael said:
And I never watched Gintama, so it is a good show!

It's an exceptionally brilliant show, a rare case where a show can mix outright comedy and serious business moments so well.

mAcOdIn said:

He also wrote a little VN called Saya no Uta, something that hasn't allowed me to have a good night's sleep since beating it. That's why I care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom