• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

El Sloth said:
You're right, I should stop procrastinating that too.
AnimeGAF is here to give you life lessons.

Note: you shouldn't be writing that you're procrastinating, because that's also procrastinating. Get off the internet!

Dresden

Classy yuri manga gets anime.

pp5zkl.jpg

Jex

TxdoHawk said:
So I just watched all of Highschool Of The Dead over the span of two days.

Enjoyed it ("ending" aside) but while watching I could hear the angry, belabored huffs coming from bitter and jaded anime vets a mile away. Practically every bad anime trope paraded out, one after the other. I was half expecting them to end it by having the whole team climb into space mechs and fly off to restart civilization, because that is pretty much the only checkbox they didn't tick. I'm easy to please, though, so I'm not even mad.
Nah, because then it would be as awesome as Mad Bull 34 - which it is not.

Jex

-Minsc- said:
There will always be haters, always. They just represent such a small margin they might as well not exist.
People actually dislike Gintama? Who? That's one of those things that I don't remember anyone disliking.

Steroyd

Jexhius said:
People actually dislike Gintama? Who? That's one of those things that I don't remember anyone disliking.

I think a poster doesn't "get" the transitions between the serious moments and the comedy but that's as close as we're going to get me thinks.

duckroll said:
Fall Anime status: Not saved

I don't think it would have been saved even if Gen was writing it. No matter how you slice it, one anime can't single-handedly save an entire season dominated by trash, but that's just my opinion.

I'll still give the series a try either way.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Nora Kisaragi said:
I don't think it would have been saved even if Gen was writing it. No matter how you slice it, one anime can't single-handedly save an entire season dominated by trash, but that's just my opinion.

I'll still give the series a try either way.

But Gen already saved one season this year.

Really lackluster season where the 2 other best shows were Wandering Son and Level E with nothing else that was good.

Jex

Steroyd said:
I think a poster doesn't "get" the transitions between the serious moments and the comedy but that's as close as we're going to get me thinks.
Oh, I see. Interesting. That's interesting because one of the most impressive things Gintama does is mix those two factors in a way where both of them work exactly when the creators wants them to.

jman2050

darkside31337 said:
But Gen already saved one season this year.

Really lackluster season where the 2 other best shows were Wandering Son and Level E with nothing else that was good.

How dare you disparage such amazing series as Yumekui Merry and Infinite Str-- hahahahaha nah I can't do this.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Steroyd said:
Utena 21 - 23

Utena 21

Akio's going to impregnate me isn't he?

Utena 22

Akio using his moves again.

Wait Tokiko's brother is called
Mamiya? hey wait a minute.

Mamyia, Himemiya, Mamyia, Himemiya, Mamyia, Himemiya, Mamyia, Himemiya,
hmmm....

Utena - 23

I... sort of saw it coming but still...

What what what what wat wat wat wat wut wut wut wut wut!?a
LPCJL.gif

iavi

Ryuukan said:
Just watched Gintama x Sket Dance

Himeko said it best why Sket Dance doesn't even come close, they don't do dirty jokes.

Haha. On the flip side, I think it was her who also mentioned why Sket Dance's serious arcs feel a little more substantial. Unlike Gintama, who's guaranteed to find a way to wrap everything up with a positive little bow at the end--regardless of all the negative events littered within it--Sket Dance will close an arc with complete negativity.

Cwarrior said:
*In regards to Anohana* plus it had Secert base.

Ha, bringing up Secret Base, not even I was going to do that. Show them no mercy, will you? Commendable.

Jex

jman2050 said:
How dare you disparage such amazing series as Yumekui Merry and Infinite Str-- hahahahaha nah I can't do this.
What happened to your trolling face, jman2050? It used to be so sincere.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Steroyd said:
Kamisama Dolls - END... END?

What the fuck did I just watch? Did I just get Sunrise'd?

I don't even see the parallels to Sunrise in this episode you're going to have to elaborate.

This last episode and last arc was amazing. Such a fantastic finale on every level.

Was not a fan of this show until the end. Good lord it could have been a simply amazing show but in the end it was still really damn enjoyable.
Season 2 or however they wrap this up cannot get here soon enough, if the quality towards the end of the show is any indicator for the future of it.

Lain

Jexhius said:
I found Gintama unfunny, so in a way you could say I dislike it, although it would be more fitting to say I just don't care about it, but for sake of this thread, let it be know I think Gintama sucks, so we can have at least a person who dislikes it.

Jex

Lain said:
I found Gintama unfunny, so in a way you could say I dislike it, although it would be more fitting to say I just don't care about it, but for sake of this thread, let it be know I think Gintama sucks, so we can have at least a person who dislikes it.
Well, considering that humour is one of thee most subjective things, I can let it slide for now.

-Minsc-

Lain said:

And there we have it. Not that it affects my enjoyment of the series any.

Steroyd

darkside31337 said:
I don't even see the parallels to Sunrise in this episode you're going to have to elaborate.

Sunrise'd [Sun ~ rise ~ ed]

- To be trolled with plot threads left open or opening new plot elements in the last episode because another season has already been pre-determined.

Jex

Steroyd said:

- To be trolled with plot threads left open or opening new plot elements in the last episode because another season has already been pre-determined.
That's pretty much it, although we also need to remember the writers being told that they're writing a show of x episodes in length (usually 26) and then being told somewhere around episode 19 or later that actually they've been give two more cours. This always results in entertainment.

scy

Jexhius said:
That's pretty much it, although we also need to remember the writers being told that they're writing a show of x episodes in length (usually 26) and then being told somewhere around episode 19 or later that actually they've been give two more cours. This always results in entertainment.

I'm still pretty sure J.C. Staff don't actually tell anyone how many episodes there really are so there's always the "surprise, finale next week!" or "yeah we've got another cour to go" popping up.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Steroyd said:

So which part was the Sunrise'd?

I'm just not seeing it. It wrapped up the arc quite well. It was an overwhelming satisfying ending, especially considering what it could have been (Sunrise)

I know people love to get their kicks from mocking Seiji Kishi and well most of it is well deserved. But unlike Angel Beats this series actually had a coherent, interesting, and enjoyable finish to it.

He loves the constant, repeated, ping-ponging mishmash of comedy, action, romance and drama in one episode way more than any human being should but it actually works well enough in this effort. It's more balanced and it's not nearly as trite. I'm not sure if he's learning something or if it's just better material to work with but there was definite improvement.

Maybe he'll keep it going in Persona 4.

Won't happen :(

Steroyd

darkside31337 said:
So which part was the Sunrise'd?

I'm just not seeing it. It wrapped up the arc quite well. It was an overwhelming satisfying ending, especially considering what it could have been (Sunrise)

Akio buggering off to settle things with the village once and for all.
4 legged thing being awakened
Main character standing out of the rubble with an armless Kukuri to face off 4 legged thing
To be continued

The way it ended it felt like episode 13/26 rather than episode 13/13

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Steroyd said:
Akio buggering off to settle things with the village once and for all.
4 legged thing being awakened
Main character standing out of the rubble with an armless Kukuri to face off 4 legged thing
To be continued

The way it ended it felt like episode 13/26 rather than episode 13/13

I guess that's fair enough.

It wrapped up this arc quite well, tied up most things and was an enjoyable episode (looks like Brain's Base still has some money left!) and basically teased out a new season in the last few minutes. I'm okay with that because it managed to wrap up the actual last arc first instead of pissing all over it the way a Sunrise series does it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
darkside31337 said:
He loves the constant, repeated, ping-ponging mishmash of comedy, action, romance and drama in one episode way more than any human being should but it actually works well enough in this effort. It's more balanced and it's not nearly as trite. I'm not sure if he's learning something or if it's just better material to work with but there was definite improvement.
This is really like never a good thing.

I will now refer to the great wisdom of Mr. Plinkett. Replace words mentally where needed. Also it's okay for an anime series to change tone between episodes, but constant tone shifting in a single episode is a big NO.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Aigis said:
This is really like never a good thing.

I will now refer to the great wisdom of Mr. Plinkett. Replace words mentally where needed. Also it's okay for an anime series to change tone between episodes, but constant tone shifting in a single episode is a big NO.

Are you one of those people who hate Gintama too?

It can and has worked plenty of times in anime. The notion to never do it because it can never work is absurd. Kami Dolls does it less and in much more moderation than Angel Beats and is generally done more effectively (although certainly not always).

I haven't seen the last few episodes of Kamisama Dolls, but can it really be called "Sunrise-d" if a manga adaptation ends in the middle without choosing to create an original ending to wrap things up, which is what I assume happened? I understood the term to refer to a story originally concieved to end in one season being forced to artificially extend its length by management, as in Tiger and Bunny. For instance, Akagi's anime "ending" is very unsatisfying, but I wouldn't call it "Sunrise-d".

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
There making a Maji de Watashi anime? WTF at that art.

I'm going to watch all of the anime this season that anime-GAF hates. I REGRET NOTHING.

Steroyd

darkside31337 said:
I guess that's fair enough.

It wrapped up this arc quite well, tied up most things and was an enjoyable episode (looks like Brain's Base still has some money left!) and basically teased out a new season in the last few minutes. I'm okay with that because it managed to wrap up the actual last arc first instead of pissing all over it the way a Sunrise series does it.

I'd say it's similar to Code Geass in how that wrapped up the last arc in the end of season 1 but kept quiet about the surrounding plot elements and went "lololololol season 2" in the last 5 minutes. Not much different from Tiger & Bunny either except that had a whole last arc put together with duct tape.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hellsing321 said:
If they don't have the same dub actors for the anime, Persona 4 is ruined. RUINED! Anime is truly dead then.

I don't care how much money it costs to get done, the series should have an Endurance Run track. Will day 1 buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom