• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toriko 35

Jesus, it's one thing after another. This is such an exciting series! These last few episodes have been totally blood-pumpingly amazing.

Teppei is fuckawesome. Dude wailing on Tommyrod really makes it apparent how much Toriko will grow throughout the series. Not quite on the level of Mihawk's introduction in One Piece, but it's something.

Also, anyone else find it funny how what is essentially a penis monster was fighting a vagina mouth monster?

Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below

jKpoF.jpg

Wow, it's the spiritual sequel to Ponyo that absolutely nobody asked for. Fantastic visuals overshadowed by an uneasy sense of hollowness. What the hell was Shinkai thinking when he wrote this dumb piece of shit :/

Place Promised > 5cm > A Gathering of Cats > Voices > She and her Cat >>>>>>> Shinkai Who Chase Lost Talent
Shinkai clouds are great... but anyway, I know it's popular to hate on it here for some reason, but while it's certainly not one of Miyazaki's best movies, I enjoyed Ponyo. It was a fun, entertaining movie. I kind of liked Howl's Moving Castle too. I would agree neither one is as good as Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away, sure, but they're not BAD. Just still good, but not quite as incredible as the ones before.

Seitokai Yakuindomo is great stuff, I read the whole manga recently and am watching the anime now... I think I posted about eps 1-2 a while back, but I haven't said anything about ep. 3 yet. I will need to watch this once I get through the series, for sure. Looks like good stuff. I wonder if the show will get a second season... that'd be cool.

Seitokai Yakuindomo 3 - This episode doesn't come from the manga, unlike the others so far (the first two were very straight manga adaptations); this one's mostly new material, expanding greatly on the older two girls' school trip to Kyoto. There's lots of good stuff here, it's great to see more than a couple of pages about this trip. :)

I like that the president likes history so much, I've always loved going to historical sites. Her reaction to the Golden Shrine (if I got the name right) was kind of amusing though, she was really hyped... :)

Also, what in the world does that student council do, to have to deal with such huge piles of paper?

Infinite Stratos 4:

This whole episode (almost) was an Awesome Mecha Fight. Due to how glorious the whole episode being a fight was, the D:AMF ratio has dramatically decreased! It is now in the safe zone. Oh hey, and I guess it's almost time for Charlotte to debut next episode!

The problem with watching this show months after it originally aired is that I know that the D:AMF ratio never reached the Dumb Event Horizon. The Earth would have been destroyed already and I wouldn't be able to sit here and watch it now, long after the broadcast airing!

I'm not sure why they are actually trying to pretend to have an actual fake plot in this show now. A fake plot won't magically make this show not Epically Dumb.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The problem with watching this show months after it originally aired is that I know that the D:AMF ratio never reached the Dumb Event Horizon. The Earth would have been destroyed already and I wouldn't be able to sit here and watch it now, long after the broadcast airing!
The OVA just dropped. Instead of watching more IS you should find a better way to spend your last day on Earth.

Seitokai Yakuindomo 4 - Yes, another great episode in this very funny series. It returns to being very close to the manga, with some additions here and there.
Did the manga have the presidents' gift from Aria be a giant stuffed bondage teddy bear like that? I didn't remember that at all... :lol
Good stuff, as always!

Infinite Stratos 4:

This whole episode (almost) was an Awesome Mecha Fight. Due to how glorious the whole episode being a fight was, the D:AMF ratio has dramatically decreased! It is now in the safe zone. Oh hey, and I guess it's almost time for Charlotte to debut next episode!

I'm not sure why they are actually trying to pretend to have an actual fake plot in this show now. A fake plot won't magically make this show not Epically Dumb.
I think the show probably crosses the Dumb Event Horizon several times (later on in the series, particularly), but the world somehow managed to survive anyway... maybe it was too amused by how stupidly entertaining the series was to follow through with it?

I mean, some of us watched the stupidest episodes multiple times, and yet we're still here to tell the tale!

Infinite Stratos 5:

There is quite literally nothing I have to say about this show other than how Epically Dumb it is, so I'll discuss the seiyuus of the female leads for awhile instead.

"Charles" Dunois appears and promptly starts blushing in Ichika's presence. Kana Hanazawa does a reasonable impression of a boy's voice, but her voice is a lower octave so it's not as hard for her as it would be for a seiyuu with a naturally higher voice.

I'm still trying to adjust to Mio's voice as a tsundere character like Houki. It's a little bit unsettling, to be perfectly honest. I'm so used to associating Yoko Hikasa with Mio that hearing her doing a character who isn't like Mio is vaguely bizarre.

I don't understand how Rie Kugimiya wasn't the voice of Rin. Rin is 100% Kugiloli and hearing someone else doing Kugiloli is also vaguely bizarre. Asami Shimoda has a higher-pitched voice though, which we hear in full effect when she is Mami and Ami, so she's almost a good substitute for Rie. Except, well, she isn't Rie. Sigh.

Yukana's been around a long time and her experience shows when she's voicing Cecilia. Granted, it's not exactly super-difficult to do the ojou-sama character, but Yukana's got a lot of range. She can do a deeper voice and in this case she does Cecilia's higher pitch competently.

Marina Inoue makes her debut as Laura in this episode too. She's also a seiyuu with plenty of experience. This isn't the first fake-European character she's done either, as she was Alicia Melchiott in Valkyria Chronicles.

Infinite Stratos 6:

I've now experienced "Ichika no ecchi." For some reason, my life doesn't seem more complete than it did before I experienced it. Charlotte did manage to force Ichika to feed her at the end though. I'm guessing even though she started as a boy, she will now play the role of the imouto in this harem. Kana Hanazawa can make anything overwhelmingly cute, including asking Ichika to feed her.

This episode has one of the strangest examples of Germany vs. France that I've seen so far in any form of media. No, I haven't seen Hetalia: Axis Powers. Apparently next episode it will be Germany vs. France and Britain. The mind boggles at the thought that SOMEBODY in Japan deliberately thought of this and slipped it into IS. I actually wonder if the domestic Japanese audience caught that, since World War II is barely taught in Japanese schools.

Nobody likes Germany Laura anyways. She was the only character in ISML 2011 who failed to win a single solitary round of preliminaries, thereby finishing 50th of the intial field of 50 entrants.

Articalys

Sket Dance 36

I'm conflicted. On one hand, we've finally reached the Ogress story, one of my favorite arcs in the entire series. On the other, the pacing seems to be slightly faster than the previous backstory adaptation, cutting out some a fair bit of dialogue. Guess I'll remain positive for now and look forward to the next episode, and hope they slow things down a bit.

Chihayafuru 10

I honestly feel that Desk guy was spot on with what he said against Chihaya and that resolution in the end was wtf considering how they have been planning to use Desk guy as a mere fodder. =/

Chihayafuru 10

I honestly feel that Desk guy was spot on with what he said against Chihaya and that resolution in the end was wtf considering how they have been planning to use Desk guy as a mere fodder. =/

Desk-kun was clearly right in how the rest of the team treated him. That was the point of the episode. Taichi realized he needed to take charge and make sure each person was treated as a valuable member of a whole, Chihaya realized that her enthusiasm had once again led her to disregard other people's feelings, and Desk-kun realized that Chihaya regretted what she had done and really did care about him. It's that old sports story trope of a collection of disparate individuals learning to become a team.

Shinkai clouds are great... but anyway, I know it's popular to hate on it here for some reason, but while it's certainly not one of Miyazaki's best movies, I enjoyed Ponyo. It was a fun, entertaining movie. I kind of liked Howl's Moving Castle too. I would agree neither one is as good as Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away, sure, but they're not BAD. Just still good, but not quite as incredible as the ones before.

I enjoyed Ponyo as well. It had great visuals, of course, and the characters were charming and believable, even if the narrative went nowhere. But Howl's Moving Castle was a total mess with no redeeming value. It's amazing how quickly Miyazaki went south after Spirited Away.

Ezalc

Sket Dance 36
Ah yes we've reached Himeko's backstory. Still feel that her issue was kind of exaggerated compared to Switch, but I enjoy it anyways because any chance to see long blonde hnnnnnnnngg haired Himeko is alright with me.

I have a question about the Sket-Dance manga though, what's up with it? I mean last chapter I read was 180 back in April. Is it on a break because of the anime or something? Also I'm still waiting for them to (story spoiler)
explain how Switch and Bossun met because this isn't covered in Switch's backstory.

Steroyd

I have a question about the Sket-Dance manga though, what's up with it? I mean last chapter I read was 180 back in April. Is it on a break because of the anime or something? Also I'm still waiting for them to (story spoiler)
explain how Switch and Bossun met because this isn't covered in Switch's backstory.

It's a classic case of no-one picking it up for regular scanlation, when the Sket x Gintama chapter hit (ch.180), the latest chapter released for readership was at around ch.164 for example.

Ezalc

It's a classic case of no-one picking it up for regular scanlation, when the Sket x Gintama chapter hit (ch.180), the latest chapter released for readership was at around ch.164 for example.

Damn it :( This is the same thing that happens with Enigma. How disappointing.

DiGiKerot

I think it's come to mean anything involving mono no aware!

Yeah, that definitely applies to iM@S23 then...

On the subject of which,
NOOOOOOOOOOOO !PROOOODDDDDUUUUUUCCCCCEEEEEEEERRRRRR-SANNNNNNNN!... or something. Actually, I thought Haruka was going to collapse from exhaustion or quit or something, so that was actually quite the surprise...

I totally need to remember to wear my Kotori t-shirt for next weeks episode, whilst drinking 100% Orange Juice from my Ritsuko mug.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Very nice. When does it come out?
21st I think?
Does this have the OP and EDs as well?
1. ROCK OVER JAPAN ROCK OVER JAPAN
2. イカレちまったぜ!! IKARECHIMATTAZE!!
3. BAD NEWS(黒い予感) BAD NEWS(KUROI YOKAN)
4. 魂こがして TAMASHII KOGASHITE
5. ダディーズ・シューズ DADDY`S SHOES
6. Private Girl PRIVATE GIRL
7. HIDE and SEEK HIDE AND SEEK
8. 朝のかげりの中で ASA NO KAGERI NO NAKA DE
9. 灰色の水曜日 HAIIRO NO SUIYOUBI
10. HEROES〜英雄たち HEROES-EIYUU TACHI

The two OPs are sold together as a single.

Jex

[Gundam Unicorn 4]
...This is just poor translation right?...right?

Banagher is, unfortunately, generic Gundam protagonist no.1. His dialogue, therefore, is suitably terrible and rather awkward. To be, most people in this series of OVA's speak in a similar manner, over-wrought manner, which doesn't excuse it, but at least it's consistent. Most characters are depicted more consistently than, say, a Tomino character, but that's not really saying much. I guess Loran is still the best, and one of the few, good protagonists.

As for the episode itself, it seemed like a number of events where happening very quickly. It seemed a little rushed, pacing-wise which is perhaps a reflection of the way that they are adapting it. Everything that happened was connected, story-wise, but it felt more like a series of sequences than a naturally flowing story.

The action was extremely good though, with a strong focus on Grunt vs Grunt combat. This involved a much more interesting range of combat situations than usual. My only complaint about the combat is that the Zeon grunts seemed far better than the Federation ones (who seemed to be doing a lot of standing around waiting to get shot). I like a bit more back and forth.

Steroyd

21st I think?

Rock Over Japan!?

*faints*

Ezalc

Why would it have the OPs? Triple H doesn't perform any of the OPs.
I'm just asking mannn I don't know how this stuff worksss.

21st I think?

What about the EDs?

True, it's not. :-/ I'm not on enough for that sadly, so I don't have much of an identity on AnimeGAF. I'm just kinda here.
Don't worry, even though I post here a lot I don't have an identity here either.

Except maybe the guy who always wants to be membered again.

Cwarrior

Fate zero 10

Goofy and contrived, the scene with twin tails girl and chid killer guy was so stupid.

Well not ep1 bad but it felt like dumb filler, making it the 2nd worst fate/zero episode..

21st I think?

so we have heard already all ED songs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom