• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mako-chan is the best.

AdHAd.gif

the manga looks prettey serious for a shonen manga, so maybe...

You really want to start this AGAIN?

I've never been much of a critic. When I watch a show I watch it and get entertainment out of it. If the show fails to keep my interest I'll simply stop watching. I see no point picking apart a show I have little interest in. The same actually goes for shows I like. Not dissecting a show means I find fewer "flaws" which in turn means greater enjoyment.

Yeah, I'm kind of like that too. I mean I will finish something if I've already watched a good chunk of it, but I'm not going to spend hours writing essays on why it's good or why the directing is godly or whatever.

I have always been a "sum of its parts" kind of guy. Nothing is perfect and I will either ignore the flaws or not notice them if there's another scene that I really like. If half an episode is shit and half is awesome, I'm going to remember the awesome part no matter how shitty the rest was. It takes a REALLY bad scene for it to retroactively ruin the whole show.

Hunter x Hunter R 11

The moment of truth is here and it sure was... something. I honestly don't know what to think of this. I mean on one hand it seems to mean nothing is taboo as long as it's implied rather than outright shown. On the other, the censorship could reach "it's okay, I can see their parachutes" level of stupidity from time to time. I mean
where did Killua get a bag so fast? Does he just keep one around whenever he needs to rip someone's heart out? I didn't think assassins would be super hygienic.

I don't know what this means for the Chimera Ant arc in the unlikely even it makes it that far, but I suppose I'll keep watching for now.

Also, Johaness was A LOT more intimidating in the original anime.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Infinite Stratos 11:

First lets having her own mech go to her head and Ichika is hurt. Not that he was particularly skilled to begin with, but First blames herself and has to be slapped silly by China to get back on her feet. They ignore orders and go to fight the berserk mech.

Infinite Stratos 12:

Nice fight to end the series, though hinted that it was all set up by First's bunny sister to let her make her debut. Ichika moves to kiss the wrong girl (read: not Charlotte) and is set to be punished for it.

Overall it was enjoyable as it had good artwork, animation, and Charlotte, but otherwise it's a pretty forgettable show. Except for Charlotte.

Decado

Mardock Scramble 1 - WTF. 50 minutes to get to the interesting bits then a total cliffhanger. Not to mention that they took every opportunity (and created many more) to show some girl naked. Seems like they knew that the first 50 minutes are mediocre and they chose nudity over action. I don't expect much from anime these days, but this was still disappointing.

Dresden

Mardock Scramble 1 - WTF. 50 minutes to get to the interesting bits then a total cliffhanger. Not to mention that they took every opportunity (and created many more) to show some girl naked. Seems like they knew that the first 50 minutes are mediocre and they chose nudity over action. I don't expect much from anime these days, but this was still disappointing.

pussyhand

RurouniZel

Infinite Stratos OVA:

Starting with Charlotte. I approve of this beginning.

And then England had to show up. I disapprove of this turn of events. And then Germany, China, and First show up. I further disapprove of these events.

OVA would have been 100x better with just Charlotte. Actually, the entire show would be better with just Charlotte. She's cuter, smarter, and more genuine.

And with the entire 2nd half surrounding First, the OVA became a snore.

Dresden

Infinite Stratos OVA:

Starting with Charlotte. I approve of this beginning.

And then England had to show up. I disapprove of this turn of events. And then Germany, China, and First show up. I further disapprove of these events.

OVA would have been 100x better with just Charlotte. Actually, the entire show would be better with just Charlotte. She's cuter, smarter, and more genuine.

And with the entire 2nd half surrounding First, the OVA became a snore.

really just the four four minutes excluding the craptacular op is worth watching. (inb4 'none of is is worth watching) basically the DAT FIDGETING, DAT CHAR, and then the faux cakegasm.

Jex

I see you came to Mardock Sramble with the wrong mindset. I've explained, at some length, exactly what it's about! I tried to make it pretty clear what to expect: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30497077&postcount=19439

iavi

You know, I was never in to listing to music a whole lot until I approached my mid twenties. Nothing on the radio seemed to catch my interested. I couldn't see why people would bother buying and listening to the stuff. Around 2005 a classic/new rock station went on the air in my area. While I never found the newer stuff to be all that great, I liked the sound of the older stuff. This doesn't mean I won't listen to newer stuff, but if their mainstream radio songs don't appeal then I'll have no desire to check out their album releases.

I can reason with that. Your stance is fine. It's those with a mind completely closed, who refuse to even check any of the newer material out, see if it even tickles their fancy. I've met at least a person per medium who'll preach that nonsense and it's never made any sense.

The way Jex pimps Mardock Scramble at every opportunity I might just have to check it out sometime.

His pimping of it is the equivalent of suggesting that you tiger balm your ballsack. Spare your babymaking ability and say no to peer pressure.

Jex

The way Jex pimps Mardock Scramble at every opportunity I might just have to check it out sometime.

Is that what I'm doing? I assumed explaining how bad something is would make people want to avoid it, but it seems to attract them even more!
The wheelchair fetish is pretty sick. That is not what I call moe.

As we know, you are the arbiter of such things. I guess it's official then.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can reason with that. Your stance is fine. It's those with a mind completely closed, who refuse to even check any of the newer material out, see if it even tickles their fancy. I've met at least a person per medium who'll preach that nonsense and it's never made any sense.
This is why you get people saying something like BakaTest is the best anime comedy in 10 years or whatever. lol

RurouniZel

really just the four four minutes excluding the craptacular op is worth watching. (inb4 'none of is is worth watching) basically the DAT FIDGETING, DAT CHAR, and then the faux cakegasm.

Agreed. It was all downhill after that. :-/

Jex

Mawaru Kanba Drum 22:

Man, kanba is like a textbook definition of psychopath. He is completely lacking of any sense of empathy. Think about it: He has no qualms about leading other girls on, using them and dumping them on a whim's notice. He doesn't care about breaking into people's homes, or spying on them. He doesn't have any qualms about killing others, nor does he consider the pain he is inflicting on their loved ones. He doesn't care about the feelings of Shouma, Himari, and Masako. The only redeeming quality is that he is willing to do whatever it takes to bring about good results for those he cares about, but he doesn't give a shit about their feelings (with regards to him)... or really the feelings of anyone else about anything. How many friends, brother, sisters, husbands, wives, daughters, sons, fathers, mothers has he taken away, how many bonds has he severed, how many families has he broken up, without a second thought, just in episode 22?

What an asshole.
Some of those traits, in isolation, aren't so bad. I suppose all together they look a little bit worrying but I wouldn't be too sure.
idolmaster 23 -

I did skip about 13 episodes but it's okay because this was amazing.

Man, wow. I laughed so hard
when he fell in. Like, how does that even happen? He pulls on her! Standard anime physics would dictate that she'd land on his lap and they'd blush and fluster about for a bit before looking away, all shaken up. But instead he does a switcheroo and tumbles into the pit with a thud. Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Funniest thing I've seen all week. And seeing Haruka's face
crumple into an expression of SORROW is so goddamn delicious I could stare at it all day. ALL DAY.
God, it still makes me smile.

I mean, if you use such wide definitions, totally normal posters like Dredsden might sound like psychopaths!

scy

Is that what I'm doing? I assumed explaining how bad something is would make people want to avoid it, but it seems to attract them even more!

I've basically come to the conclusion that if you dislike something, there's like an 80% chance I'll enjoy it. Different strokes, I'm all that is wrong with anime, etc. etc.

Jex

So, best OP/ED this season?

I'm quite partial to Guilty Crown's OP. It's just... nice, haha. Ben-to's is pretty cheesy and sets the mood just right too. Anyone else?

There aren't really that many good OP's this season.

Idolmaster
Un-Go (but the ending is better)

None of the rest are really worth mentioning.
kyousogiga -

It made no sense and that didn't feel good. Incoherent, but with pretty lights . . . not that the latter helps much in this case. Felt like a waste of time.
But there was good animation, right? It wasn't as bad as Limit Cycle, right?
Tales from Earthsea

Welp, now I know why everyone hates Goro. I can't even begin to think how bad senile Goro would be.

Yes, but you hate Goro as much as he hates his father? That's the real question.

mAcOdIn

The question is, why are you watching a CR talk show?!
Who said I'm watching or have watched it? They have it proudly displayed on their page where I shamelessly stole the link from, check the images URL.
There's too many strange implications about such an activity.
And yet I fear watching a live action talk show with girls dressed in Sailor Moon garb would probably carry less negative implications than many of my other hobbies, so much so that I'm half tempted to claim having watched it.

Jex

Wow, really? I mean, I'd heard of the manga, but I'm surprised they're animating it.
I hope it's a noitaminA 2012 show.

Maybe DEEN will produce it as well! Oh wait, flash animation studio. Oh dear.
Also this may be a silly question but what is the best Gundam to watch? I never bothered with it because when I saw a timeline photo back when Turn A Gundam came out, I just went "wtf?"

I was thinking about simply grabbing The 08th MS Team and maybe watching Turn A.

Gundam 0080 is the best OVA and ∀ Gundam is the best series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom