• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ANN Podcast with AWO guys: "BakaTest is the best anime comedy since Azumanga Daioh."
Me: "I don't ever want to be an old anime fan, because then I will have to kill myself."

Also, I really should just skip the non-industry interview podcasts.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
ANN Podcast with AWO guys: "BakaTest is the best anime comedy since Azumanga Daioh."
Me: "I don't ever want to be an old anime fan, because then I will have to kill myself."

Also, I really should just skip the non-industry interview podcasts.
As astoundingly dumb as that quote is I am more amazed that anything even remotely relevant to recent anime is being talked about on ANNcast.

DiGiKerot

As astoundingly dumb as that quote is I am more amazed that anything even remotely relevant to recent anime is being talked about on ANNcast.

Actually, they had Mike Toole on talking about Fate/Zero and Chihayafuru this week as well...

(And to be fair, that quote about BakaTest came off the back of one episode).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's about the gist of it. I think anime fans eventually develop "get off my lawn"-itis after a few years and think all new anime is shit.

This seems to happen faster to anime fans than fans of any other medium.

Actually, they had Mike Toole on talking about Fate/Zero and Chihayafuru this week as well...
Well, that's true too I suppose.

Exactly! Saki will be awesome!

It's Achiga-hen, not the main series, though. You know, the new manga, which is monthly and has long chapters, and has already (in just a handful of chapters) gone from before the beginning of the main series to about equal with the end of the most recent chapter... oh, and it's done by Bamboo Blade's artist.

Now, I loved the Bamboo Blade anime, and liked most of the manga (that last, way too long arc before it was cancelled was kind of weak, though. The anime doesn't get as far through the story, but is much more consistently great beginning to end. Of course though, this is just the artist of that manga, not the writer; the writer's the same person who does the main Saki series.), but it is a bit different look from the main series. I'm kind of hoping the Achiga-hen anime slows things down a bit and covers the stuff the manga skims over so quickly in more detail...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's Achiga-hen, not the main series, though. You know, the new manga, which is monthly and has long chapters, and has already (in just a handful of chapters) gone from before the beginning of the main series to about equal with the end of the most recent chapter... oh, and it's done by Bamboo Blade's artist.

Now, I loved the Bamboo Blade anime, and liked most of the manga (that last, way too long arc before it was cancelled was kind of weak, though. The anime doesn't get as far through the story, but is much more consistently great beginning to end.), but it is a bit different look from the main series. I'm kind of hoping the Achiga-hen anime slows things down a bit and covers the stuff the manga skims over so quickly in more detail...

As long as people are playing MJ, it's all good.

I suppose yuri for the yuri lovers doesn't hurt either.

Cwarrior

Screw winter, it's all about spring.

Moe zombie hnnnngh

Spring line up already a lot better then Winter

Zetaman(currently still reading the manga, studio has lot balls taking on something like this)
fate zero part 2
medaka box
Zombie moe(is it me or have they changed the character art of the manga?)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Not counting my 90s anime watching, I started in 2008, so I have no idea when I'll start hating all new anime unconditionally. Two more years maybe?
There are actually two processes at work here. First is the anime viewer becoming increasingly discriminate as the novelty wears off. For some people this is a rough and rapid transition, leading them to forgo consideration of new anime or swear off the medium entirely. Second is the actual underserving of various genres in recent years.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There are actually two processes at work here. First is the anime viewer becoming increasingly discriminate as the novelty wears off. Second is the actual underserving of various genres in recent years.
I understand being picky, sure. Each passing season, I watch fewer shows. But being a grump about anything released after 1997 or whenever is kind of taking it to the next level, isn't it?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Just wondering if anybody here has ever watched an old (really old!) OVA called Darkside Blues and could tell me how terrible it is. On sale at Rightstuf (three bucks!) and it piqued my interest solely because of the title and premise alone.

iavi

I understand being picky, sure. Each passing season, I watch fewer shows. But being a grump about anything released after 1997 or whenever is kind of taking it to the next level, isn't it?
It is, and it's a mindset I'll never understand. Same thing with classic rock zealots, nothing outside of the golden years is worth even checking out.

zeroshiki

When I started out, I watched everything.

Now Animegaf has made me so picky, 3 shows a season is a good season!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Just wondering if anybody here has ever watched an old (really old!) OVA called Darkside Blues and could tell me how terrible it is. On sale at Rightstuf (three bucks!) and it piqued my interest solely because of the title and premise alone.

If I remember correctly, it's kind of "Fist of the North Star" meets Horror meets randomness, but I found it entertaining :) (That said, it's been a few years and I have no idea how it holds up)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If I remember correctly, it's kind of "Fist of the North Star" meets Horror meets randomness, but I found it entertaining :) (That said, it's been a few years and I have no idea how it holds up)

All right thanks. I bought it just because it seems like a good anime for me to watch while not completely sober.

zombie moe > wheelchair

and opinions about the basketball anime?

Won't be as good as Ro-Kyu-Bu.

-Minsc-

It is, and it's a mindset I'll never understand. Same thing with classic rock zealots, nothing outside of the golden years is worth even checking out.
You know, I was never in to listing to music a whole lot until I approached my mid twenties. Nothing on the radio seemed to catch my interested. I couldn't see why people would bother buying and listening to the stuff. Around 2005 a classic/new rock station went on the air in my area. While I never found the newer stuff to be all that great, I liked the sound of the older stuff. This doesn't mean I won't listen to newer stuff, but if their mainstream radio songs don't appeal then I'll have no desire to check out their album releases.

Everyone thought this season would stink but it turned out alright.

Every new season will be shit. That is the law of Anime-GAF.

That said, the second half of Fate/Zero is the only thing that interests me from the spring list so far, but of course that's far from final. I'm hoping the new KyoAni show will start in spring, as has been the pattern for the past three years.

There are actually two processes at work here. First is the anime viewer becoming increasingly discriminate as the novelty wears off. For some people this is a rough and rapid transition, leading them to forgo consideration of new anime or swear off the medium entirely. Second is the actual underserving of various genres in recent years.

I've actually been less discriminate over the time I've been watching anime. Of course, I first got into the medium through my interest in art film, believe it or not, and for a while it was Studio Ghibli or bust. So there was nowhere to go but out.

cajunator

Banned
I'm not really sure how to categorize my anime fandom. I have watched since I was little and yet I am not cynical about the genre. I can definitely recognize a quality drop over the years, but it is still a fun genre full of entertaining memories and HNNNGH.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
As someone who really only got into anime around 2002 or so I've been going back and watching older series. I feel like nostalgia trippers intentionally forget that most of the 80s and 90s were loaded with god awful shitty anime, honestly probably at a higher ratio than today (the 80s in particular is rife with unwatchable crap), selectively choosing the handful of series that were good and using those for the "remember when anime used to be this good?" arguments. It's just a tad bit disingenuous really, and while I suppose this happens with every entertainment medium it sure seems like a lot more old school anime fans do this than anybody else.

Ezalc

Last Exile Fam 10

Still don't really like any of the new cast. Maybe this will change later on with the series, but right now every single new character just gets overshadowed by the old cast.

As someone who really only got into anime around 2002 or so I've been going back and watching older series. I feel like nostalgia trippers intentionally forget that most of the 80s and 90s were loaded with god awful shitty anime, honestly probably at a higher ratio than today (the 80s in particular is rife with unwatchable crap), selectively choosing the handful of series that were good and using those for the "remember when anime used to be this good?" arguments. It's just a tad bit disingenuous really, and while I suppose this happens with every entertainment medium it sure seems like a lot more old school anime fans do this than anybody else.

The older you go back in history, the more crap has been forgotten about and only what truly stands out remains. When nothing has been filtered out yet, it is easy to think that the present is worse than the past. What exacerbates this in the case of anime is that there was already filtering out going on in the 80s and 90s - only a small selection of what was being made was available to Western anime fans, whereas now just about anything is if you so desire. So, even discounting the shift in style, it's understandable why people would have a skewed perspective.

I do doubt that the ratio of bad to good was higher in the past than today. There's a crazy amount of anime being made right now, more than the small viewing market should warrant.

yeah, your soul is already corrupted

NewFresh

I used to only watch anime films, it wasn't till sometime in 2004 (I think) that I started to watch actual series beyond the usual suspects.

I feel like I've already done the:

All anime is amazing -> Some anime is great -> Not much anime is good -> Most of it is crap

cycle a few times over. Now I just watch whatever is entertaining, regardless of when or who.

-Minsc-

I've never been much of a critic. When I watch a show I watch it and get entertainment out of it. If the show fails to keep my interest I'll simply stop watching. I see no point picking apart a show I have little interest in. The same actually goes for shows I like. Not dissecting a show means I find fewer "flaws" which in turn means greater enjoyment.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Yeah but you also think this:
darkside31337 said:

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Infinite Stratos 07:

So the rumor is growing into "whoever wins gets to date Ichika" and the entire school believes it. First Childhood Friend is having self-esteem issues, apparently she made a mistake and overdid it in the past once or something. German girl is a bitch, but probably has some sort of tragic past or something. Only Chifuya-nee can stop her rampage.

So the tournament will be in pairs, and Ichika does the right thing and teams up with Char instantly. Char continues to be amazingly cute.

Oooh, First Childhood Friend paired up with ze German. Could be interesting.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

How many times are you going to do this? I mean jesus christ. My point was that a lot of people watching anime wouldn't want to watch older anime series because they are old and don't look modern. If you can't see that point then that's your problem. I have nothing against older anime titles, Touch is one of my favorites. It looks like crap compared to most modern day series.

RurouniZel

Infinite Stratos 08:

Yep, tragic past. Totally called that one. Houki was surprisingly useless, but I suppose that's because she doesn't get a personal mech of her own. But man, Char is such a bro!

German girl gets a talking to from her idol and she gives her the right words
"Also, you'll never be me,"
. So Char bathes with Ichika (Go on...), and pushes her breasts against his back (GO ON...) and asks to be called by her real name. (...) Ah well, it was a super cute scene.

But man, the end of the episode took me.
While I knew that Charlotte was gonna introduce herself as a girl because of the bath conversation, not only did China break in the class in full mech and attempt to kill Ichika in a tsundere-filled rage, but THEN ze German burst in, defends him, and then Charlotte's him, "I'll make you my bride! I won't hear any objections!"
Wild! XD

Next... a beach episode. *sigh* Well it's anime.

RurouniZel

Infinite Stratos 09:

Mechanical bunny-ears are still bunny-ears. First's older sister is weird, but I suppose all geniuses are? Anyway looks like she's finally getting her own personal mech, which is cool.

Wow, German girl. Niiiice. Not that First was happy with it. :p

Ichika, you deserve divine punishment for letting Charlotte down. Divine Punishment!! And here to administer, China! Yandere mode, ON! I will forgive you temporarily, because you gave her a cute nickname and approved her hot swimsuit.

Swimsuit selection. Serious business in Germany. XD Om Nom Nom lives up to her name. And Ichika, if you look at your sister like that we're going to worry. But erm... where is First? She's surprisingly absce- ah there she is.

Yep, this was an anime beach episode. I knew what I was going to get, and got exactly that.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Are we just posting fun things darkside has said in that past, if so...

*Hugs darkside* I do this out of love

Hey you can at least give me credit for being completely right about Fate/Zero while silly people like duckroll were doubting.

I can't wait avatars are back for everyone else, maybe you guys will stop being so jelly towards me :(

C3 ep 11
c3_kuroe_smaller_by_tristtrist-d4iszl5.gif

Guess its just one episode left. No one compared to Peevy :( for the antagonist. Episode was alright and Kuroe was interesting, I like how they animated it.

RurouniZel

Infinite Stratos 10:

Chifuyu-nee, you are deliciously evil. >:D

First's older sister, you're just plain of your rocker. D:

That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom