• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Working'!! 11

He's actually on his way out of the friendzone, go figure. The segment with the sisters was not only fun, but hit home like hell. I'm so guilty of quick sending calls to ignore, it's not even funny. Really, it's not, I catch a lot of shit for it.

Instro

Fate/Zero 11

Nothing like sitting around with your bros, drinking some wine and talking ideologies. Rider as a typical bro brings his giant keg, Archer with his refined tastes brings the true drink of kings. Rider and Archer make a pretty great pair actually.

Overall another enjoyable episode. The dialouge gave us some good insight into the characters backgrounds and goals, and it was presented in an interesting and enjoyable way. The final sequence was a great way to cap off the episode.

I just noticed we're inching towards 20k again.
Seems like the winter thread was slower than the last two.

The Current Wall of Shame, cut off at 300+ posts:

Code:
Jexhius 	1,161
cajunator 	767
Branduil 	699
PdotMichael 	653
firehawk12 	633
Regulus Tera 	611
Dresden 	553
zeroshiki 	549
trejo 	545
hosannainexcelsis 	517
darkside31337 	489
duckroll 	488
cosmicblizzard 	474
Steroyd 	453
Unknown Soldier 	432
EmmanuelMunoz 	422
icarus-daedelus 	421
Ezalc 	372
Articalys 	359
Instro 	336
RurouniZel 	331

Shouta

Live action Ranma 1/2

Started off strong (wire-fu) but then began to falter and loose track.

Akana is so adorable and nice in this that it makes me love/hate her. She is nothing like the show but oh so :cajun worthy.

Panda and weird S&M minions are worth seeing.

3 self boob grabs out of 5

Kuno is also more creepy than funny.

Morris

Disco Devil
Sailor Moon 1 - 2

brM83.png

Kaper

Dantalian 9

I've been quietly finishing up this show - it's not very good, but it's got a cool protagonist, books, and 1920s England, so I like it. Anyway, this is a very special Osamu Kobayashi episode with crazy art style shift and world shift and everything. I confess I don't care for Kobayashi's style much, but it was still neat to watch and the concept of
going inside a book to fight bookworms
was imaginative and well-realized. This is probably the last we'll see of old Gainax, so it's an episode to cherish.

Thank you for reminding me that I need to finish this series as well.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
No, Winter line-up is definitely stronger.

R.I.P. GAINAX
Medaka Box probably wont' be as bad as Dantalian. And that mahjong anime won't fill the karuta void in my heart. AKB will probably also feel inadequate on the tail of Idolmaster.

Articalys

Fate/zero 11

At least I got to watch something good today. How one show can be so consistently amazing (with the exception of last week's episode) is beyond me.

iavi

That list is making my tea taste bad. So far, Sankarea is really all I'll be checking out. That's not the whole list is it?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Medaka Box probably wont' be as bad as Dantalian. And that mahjong anime won't fill the karuta void in my heart. AKB will probably also feel inadequate on the tail of Idolmaster.
Spring line-up looks so shitty I might have to watch something on my backlog for once. Or worse, I might end up... playing video games!

I was barely aware the show had a story. I mean, it's a generic haremshit which happens to have Awesome Mecha Fights. The show didn't even have a real overarching plot, it was just a bunch of random unrelated events strung end to end in order to give people an excuse to fight each other. The staff of the show obviously didn't care about the story of the LNs that much, such as it was, they were too busy trying to get to the next Awesome Mecha Fight.
The fights were sometimes good, sometimes not; I'm not sure how many of them were really awesome though... better than the plot, yeah certainly, and very well animated, but I'm sure they could have been better.

At least there were more of them than I remember, say, Samurai Girls having, though. That show tried to make up for it with an all-action final episode, but it couldn't quite make up for everything in between... IS is more consistent in switching between the two, though there is a bit more action near the end.

Oh, and it's not just excuses for fights, as you say in the next paragraph it's also excuses for haremites.

Which was the right thing to do, quite frankly, the story is so hilariously thin that nobody ever even stops to consider why they train in and fly these mecha power suits, nobody's at war and the cost to run the school must be astronomical. And there's no reason why only women can fly them. They don't even pretend to try and give a made-up reason in the fictional world why this is, because who gives a fuck anyways? I mean, the actual reason they train in and fly mecha power suits only girls can use is so there can be an all-girl's school where a guy can be surrounded by girls who all want to ride his energy sword. The entire construction of the world and it's story exists purely to create the conditions where the harem can exist!
You're quite right about the world construction being an excuse for the harem, but there certainly is a story, and it's frequently inconsistent and broken. I remember being regularly amused by how many things would just inexplicably change from one episode to the next with no explanation, and how incredibly stupid the writing often was too... and then there were the parts that were even stupider than the rest of the show. I keep mentioning ep. 11 as one of the stupidest episodes, for example, because of how horribly bad and incompetent that whole flashback part was...

9 was the beach episode.
Alright. So eps 9 and 11 were the stupidest ones.

Infinite Stratos Encore (OVA):

Something happened between when I finished the series and when I watched this OVA. For some reason, I was really happy to see all the main characters again. Watching this OVA made me happy. I think I've been properly indoctrinated at this point and I'm ready for season 2 of the Dumbest Show on Earth. I would watch the shit out of it and I would enjoy every moment of it.
I entirely agree, and I was happy to see the characters again as well. I liked seeing that OP again too, it'd been a while... :)

I'm kind of sad that Charlotte only got like 3 minutes of alone time with Ichika, then everybody else started rolling up after that. Charlotte is literally the only harem member who isn't a tsundere with other dere aspects, she's just dere. That alone should mean she ought to be the "winner", not that anyone ever really wins in a haremshit.
I don't dislike tsunderes, but yeah, it is too bad that Charlotte didn't get more alone time.

(However, while it is true that it's Charlotte and the four tsunderes, some people do call China yandere sometimes, so maybe she's borderline between the two?)

The author of the LNs wrote just about the dumbest thing that could ever be written but it is pretty clever that by assigning the ojou-sama the country of origin Great Britain, they could make fun of how bad her cooking is with a double-reference. The only good thing that has ever come out of the British Isles in terms of food is fish and chips.
Don't you mean the people who wrote the anime adaptation? Unless you're saying that the original novels are even worse, which, as I said, actually seems like it could be true.

I do agree that the Britain-bad food thing was kind of clever, though. That's rare, for this show, I generally expect inexplicable idiocy, like why Ichika is scared of girls and freaks out rubbing that sun oil into Britain, but then is perfectly fine giving her a massage a couple of episodes later, etc.

The staff are certainly cruel to poor Houki, they gave her the hilarious honor of
almost "winning"
twice. I still think it's funny that people nerdraged at the final episode of the show where she was
about to "win"
and then nothing happened, as if this isn't what always happens in a haremshit.
Heh... yup.
As I said as "first girl" she clearly has an advantage, but yes, she isn't allowed to win, only to almost think she has a chance at winning, only for it to be taken away because Ichika is one of the most unobservant people ever.
As you say though, the genre wouldn't function without people like him! :) And yeah, it was amusing.

The translator actually got it "correct" this time around, the correct reference that Laura makes is "Mai Waifu" and it was hilariously mis-referenced as "My Bride" in the show's translation. I still think it might have been intentionally mis-referenced, because there's no way someone translating a show like this wouldn't know about "Mai Waifu". Since the joke is that Laura learns everything she knows about Japan from her first officer who is an otaku, it's possible that the reference was supposed to be wrong on purpose and correcting it in the OVA is actually making it unintentionally right.
I think the OVA makes clear that he would make a good waifu, so she's not wrong to call him that, is she? :p

Dresden

That list is making my tea taste bad. So far, Sankarea is really all I'll be checking out. That's not the whole list is it?

No, more will probably be announced and stuff.

Sankarea, Fat/Ero, Zetman, Mai-HiME 2 Accel Crap, the shittier parts of Medaka Box . . .

You guys need to chill. There's probably more than half of the chart to fill in. And besides, what's been revealed isn't so bad. I have no doubt that Sankarea will be a big hit among animegaffers. You guys also don't know the glory of Zetman.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You guys need to chill. There's probably more than half of the chart to fill in. And besides, what's been revealed isn't so bad. I have no doubt that Sankarea will be a big hit among animegaffers. You guys also don't know the glory of Zetman.
Saki, you bastards! That's all you need.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Why do occult kids always try to raise their cat from the dead? Does owning a cat make you more prone to turn to necrotic arts?

I doubt anyone would be surprised if I said that I hate Zetman, based on what little I've read of the manga... as for the rest of that list, yeah, Saki: Achiga-hen's the only one there I'm interested in, but it is something I'm really looking forward to. I like the main Saki manga more than Achiga-hen so far, but I'll take any new Saki anime we can get...

As for Sankarea, yeah, I don't like that either. I tried reading a bit of the manga, didn't like it and stopped.

The fights were sometimes good, sometimes not; I'm not sure how many of them were really awesome though... better than the plot, yeah certainly, and very well animated, but I'm sure they could have been better.

I'm not sure what other criteria you need for a good mecha fight besides being well animated. In general, fight scenes in mecha animes subscribe pretty regularly to the Rule of Cool, so if you completely ignore everything other than how cool it is, well animated goes a long way toward ensuring the fight is awesome. Everything good about a good mecha fight scene ultimately boils down to how well animated it was and how cool it was.

I guess if you're Hipster-AnimuGAF you also require them to be hand-drawn instead of CG, but this is one show where the CG actually looked like they put an effort to make it blend in with the hand-drawn elements and it wasn't jarring every time you saw a transition from 2D to 3D.

You're quite right about the world construction being an excuse for the harem, but there certainly is a story, and it's frequently inconsistent and broken. I remember being regularly amused by how many things would just inexplicably change from one episode to the next with no explanation, and how incredibly stupid the writing often was too... and then there were the parts that were even stupider than the rest of the show. I keep mentioning ep. 11 as one of the stupidest episodes, for example, because of how horribly bad and incompetent that whole flashback part was...

I get the feeling they just felt like they needed to stuff the flashback in there somewhere because it was supposed to be like important or something. There's a right way to handle a flashback and a wrong way, and this show actually managed to do it wrong several times. And they did it just to add some background story. Because, you know, people give a shit about character development in this kind of show. Wait.

Alright. So eps 9 and 11 were the stupidest ones.

Episode 3 was really stupid too, because they deferred the fight until episode 4. And in this show, when I call a particular episode stupid, that means it's even more stupid than the whole rest of the show, which is actually saying a lot when I'm talking about IS.

I think the OVA makes clear that he would make a good waifu, so she's not wrong to call him that, is she? :p

Well that sucks for her then, because it's clear that Ichika is already married to his Chifuyu-nee as the OVA also makes hilariously clear.

Clearly Sankarea separates the real zombie fans from the fake ones. And I'll enjoy my stay thanks, gonna get cozy in Spring.

Sankarea is fucking retarded compared to Highschool of the Dead, and that's saying a lot.

Fate Zero 11

The episode was great and OMG HOLY FUCK!!! at Rider's Noble Phantasm. I didn't expect Gilgy to be all civil with them in that manner and in fact get down on the ground with them.lol

Ben-To 10

Back to form and totally made up for the shitty Shiraume episode I still dont understand
the whole darkness move, I mean bouncing off the basket was at least understandable but was the darkness coming out of the basket some sort of energy based move? WTF!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom