• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gintama 215

Seeing
Kada mentally broken like that
just seems wrong somehow >_>

Looks like the major players are starting to move again and a major shift might be happening soon. I hope that means we'll get serious arcs more frequently.

Jex

Black Jack OVA 6

This was really...what. If too many things just keep happening out of nowhere it's difficult to get invested in anything.

cajunator

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Some license announcements via ANN:

Sentai Filmworks announced at its Anime Weekend Atlanta panel on Friday that it has licensed the Towa no Quon film series, both seasons of The World God Only Knows, Akikan!, and And yet The Town Moves (Soredemo).
damn it, I'm gonna be keeping this company in business for a long time.

Jexhius said:
Why would you go subject yourszelf to a movie? Surely it will just be more abuse,

As someone who survived Blood+, I can say with a certain amount of absoluteness that everything CLAMP-B has served up pales in comparison to Blood+ in terms of abuse.

Jex

duckroll said:
Not really. Production IG doesn't generally do straight action shows with their A-team animators. They did so with Blood-C TV, which is why the fights were really nice. The movie should look great.
Or maybe it will love worse than the TV show. Just to abuse you.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Black Jack OVA 6

This was really...what. If too many things just keep happening out of nowhere it's difficult to get invested in anything.
I didn't even know what was going on. Though to be honest I kind of stopped paying much attention about halfway through.

cajunator

Banned
Dresden said:
So I was confused about Horizon's oddball plot but this chart cleared everything up for me.

Makes perfect sense now.
I don't have tits, but I'll bioengineer some so I can rub this all over them.

Jex

Branduil said:
I didn't even know what was going on. Though to be honest I kind of stopped paying much attention about halfway through.
Well it does make sense, but only by it's own internal logic. Which is warped.

JKTrix

cosmicblizzard said:
I am incredibly disappointed that smugdouche only gets 2 character lines. I want to see everybody with red lines pointed at him.
He may have 2 lines, but he is in 4 squares. The lines will probably increase.

The biggest problem with Horizon is that it starts and ends kind of in the middle of whatever story it is supposed to have. If randomly adapting a random part of the story in the middle of things isn't a recipe for plot disaster, I don't know what is.

DiGiKerot

Articalys said:
The sad thing is, that actually is pretty simple compared to a lot of anime relationship charts.

That's just how it stands at episode 1, though. Sunrise are usually pretty good at keeping their webcontent updated for this kind of show, so by the end of the series there'll probably be more lines than whitespace.

Hopefully all red.

In the shape of fists.

Towards McSmuggingtons face.

Jex

Unknown Soldier said:
The biggest problem with Horizon is that it starts and ends kind of in the middle of whatever story it is supposed to have. If randomly adapting a random part of the story in the middle of things isn't a recipe for plot disaster, I don't know what is.
Considering what I've read of the story, it probably wouldn't help.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
wsippel said:
Haven't seen Chobits, don't know about that. But the "serious" Clamp shows I've seens never ended well. It's so predictable that I stopped caring.
Card Captor Sakura had a very sweet ending even if we don't count the mo-Oh by "serious" you don't mean quality-wise, just tone-wise, don't you?

Erigu

Unknown Soldier said:
Hôrô Musuko handled that pretty well, but yeah...

Jex

Steroyd said:
But you see/assume an incestious relationship way before a normal sibling one, even when there's absolutely nothing to point in that direction.
That's what happens when you spend enough time staring at the monster.

Steroyd

A Black Falcon said:
No, I said that if she isn't romantically in love with him I'd move her up a slot, if she is, down a spot. I'd say that's taking away points for being more formulaic.

She's one of the major girls in the show, so it seems like a reasonable assumption to me. I'd like to be wrong, though, certainly. Maybe it's going to stay just obsessive, maybe yandere, family (but not romantic) love, though, so far it's that anyway. But you can't be certain.

Ever hear of innocent until proven guilty?

Her degree of obsession with him certainly goes far beyond normal family relationships, but the question is what's behind it -- and the show didn't fully go into detail about that.

What would you consider "normal" without it being incestious? We already had the birthday episode to explain this.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
cosmicblizzard said:
Blood C Final

An epic finale filled with betrayal, tragedy, and a very well-choreographed fight. Then the
bunnies
happened...
r4blV.jpg

Strawberry smoothie, om nom nom nom.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Ugggh - Well I picked a hell of a time to go and get myself banned. Right when I was about to start the first season of Code Geass! I would have loved to have posted my impressions here on a per-episode basis, but my impressions of the season will have to suffice instead.

codegeass.jpg

Code Geass Season 1

My oh my, where the hell do I start? I was intending to watch this one slowly. An episode here and there. I work two jobs, and have my hands quite full, so an episode at the end of a day can be a nice and relaxing way for me to wind down before bed - so I figured this would be fine (lol... oh, lol). It was not fine. My wife and I blasted through this in about three nights. I absolutely could not stop. We were both enthralled. Glued to our seats.

Code Geass is a ridiculous, over-the-top, storm of animated intensity. The first 8 or 9 episodes had so many memorable moments of greatness - and then it gets even better. The curious thing, however, is how I feel about the show on a technical level, is not the same as how I feel about my experience of the show. Indeed there seems to be little about Geass that warrants merit when examining its individual pieces. The animation is above average for a televised show, although it is nothing to write home about. The characters are somewhat interesting, but not entirely unique. The story and dialog are about on par with what you might expect - though it does take you for a loop here and there - and originality isn't at an all time high or anything (the music however is outstanding) - and yet, the show somehow consistently manages to be far, far more than the sum of its parts. It single-handedly manages to entertain the living shit out of you despite this, and I'm still not entirely sure how, or why. It could be in its pace, or delivery, that it achieves this. I don't know. All I know is that I haven't felt this amped about a show since Gurren-Lagann. Not to compare the two - they're quite different. But it's how hyped I feel, when watching. If I had to rate this show objectively, or technically, I'd feel inclined to give it about a 8 out of 10, or somewhere in that range. But the problem with rating a show objectively, or strictly on technical merits, is that it doesn't accurately portray how I feel about the show... In terms of entertainment and overall satisfaction, I'd be forced rate it no less than 11 out of 10.

The shining moment of pure insanity for me was episode 22. I can't tell you how I felt. I think I went on #animegaf in IRC just to tell somebody about it. I don't know - I don't even remember. I'm not even sure I remember what else happened that evening. I just know that I probably went to bed after that. My fucking body... It wasn't ready. I was literally sitting there with my fucking jaw on the floor the entire time. My wife's eyes were as open as an owl. REALLY?? They did that?!? ...HAHAHaha- oh wow, ahahaha.... HOLY... I was seriously going between laughing my ass off, and total disbelief. The interesting thing was that it didn't like a cheap trick to elicit an emotional response from its viewer. It felt necessary to the story, and yet, I did not see it coming. PERFECT.

My face was basically like fuckin Nina's when she found out.

code_geass_nina.jpg

This also raised an interesting question for me, because I was forced to ask
whether or not Lelouch was a hero or a villain at this point. He unintentionally ordered the mass murdering of tens of thousands. It can't be said to be his fault, but he wasted absolutely no time in exploiting the event to his direct advantage. In addition to this he assassinated Euphemia, without hesitation. So in one light, it can be viewed that he took advantage of an innocent princess, forced her cooperation and then murdered her in cold blood. And in another light Lelouch only uses what has already been done to fuel his cause, and mercy-kills Euphemia, saving her from the eternal torment of discovering what she had done (...and/or being put to trial for it). Euphemia is clearly the type of person who could not live having learned of what she was a part of anyways. This is also reinforced when Suzaku lies to her about the event on her death bed.
Clearly though, it seems Lelouch is a person who believes the end justifies the means. Whether or not these means can be called ethical, in the greater scheme of things remains to be seen.

Anyways, fantastic, fabulous, amazing entertainment! If you consider yourself a fan of anime, or even just a fan of having a good time, this is essential viewing. Really, I'm kicking myself for missing out on this.

Onward, to R2.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
I think there's a clear difference in the source material.
Not to mention the fact that Wandering Son was actually well made and directed. We'll see how it works for Horizon.

iavi

Welcome aboard, Extollere. Life's better here. Though I am super jealous that you get to go through Geass for the first time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You better make up for this bullshit with live season 2 impressions.
Extollere said:
It could be in its pace, or delivery, that it achieves this. I don't know.
Code Geass has a certain bravado to do the stuff it does without having to explain shit for what it does. Those balls are commendable.
hosannainexcelsis said:
Does it taste like
human organs
?
Like guimauve!

Jex

Extollere said:
Ugggh - Well I picked a hell of a time to go and get myself banned. Right when I was about to start the first season of Code Geass! I would have loved to have posted my impressions here on a per-episode basis, but my impressions of the season will have to suffice instead.
Sweet freedom!

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Not to mention the fact that Wandering Son was actually well made and directed. We'll see how it works for Horizon.
But it's from the director of masterpieces such as Dragonaut. We all know how coherent and easy to follow that was.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Zero no Tsukaima 1-6: Inspired by Unknown Solider, I decided to check this out. The animation is kinda all over the place, and the plot has been very predictable so far, but I'm enjoying the show. I like Siesta in particular; super cute and (thus far) earnest and kind.

I also like his talking sword, he makes a good tsukkomi to Saito's whatever-the-fuck-he's-doing. I wonder if Zero's ever going to improve or if it's going to be a neverending gag like Lina Inverse's boobs. Speaking of, damn, even Lina Inverse could strut her stuff with pride compared to Louise!

Uchip said:
wtf is that
and why do i recognize it

That's Mokona!

RurouniZel said:
Zero no Tsukaima 1-6: Inspired by Unknown Solider, I decided to check this out. The animation is kinda all over the place, and the plot has been very predictable so far, but I'm enjoying the show. I like Siesta in particular; super cute and (thus far) earnest and kind.

I also like his talking sword, he makes a good tsukkomi to Saito's whatever-the-fuck-he's-doing. I wonder if Zero's ever going to improve or if it's going to be a neverending gag like Lina Inverse's boobs. Speaking of, damn, even Lina Inverse could strut her stuff with pride compared to Louise!

All I can say about Zero Louise is that there's a very good reason why she is unable to use ordinary magic.

The talking sword is awesome, and actually pretty important to the story later on. For now, just enjoy his back-and-forth with Saito.

I think it's funny that the seiyuu who plays Saito is also the male lead in Shana and Nabari no Ou. So he gets plenty of abuse from Rie. Lucky, lucky guy.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Unknown Soldier said:
All I can say about Zero Louise is that there's a very good reason why she is unable to use ordinary magic.

The talking sword is awesome, and actually pretty important to the story later on. For now, just enjoy his back-and-forth with Saito.

I think it's funny that the seiyuu who plays Saito is also the male lead in Shana and Nabari no Ou. So he gets plenty of abuse from Rie. Lucky, lucky guy.

Aha, a mystery! Awesome, can't wait to watch the rest (heading to bed after this post, it's bloody 3:30AM here!) And glad the sword remains a big part of the show!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can't tell if that's good web design or bad web design.

Lain

Extollere said:
[...]

Onward, to R2.
Welcome back man, enjoy your ride with R2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom