• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Bakatest Ni - END

femj35.jpg

This whole 2nd season had a serious identity crisis.

After the first episode of Valkyria Chronicles, it's better just to play the game.

Although
Isara is now dead :/
Why Sega, why?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
PdotMichael said:
After the first episode of Valkyria Chronicles, it's better just to play the game.

Although
Isara is now dead :/
Why Sega, why?

I told you the game was better! Isara scenes are top-notch stuff.

Still cursing Sega for treating VC the way they did.

Fate Zero 01

That was a lot of world and character building (read: exposition up the wazoo) and not a lot of actual animation to go along with it

Even still, they somehow managed to make it interesting so I don't really mind.

weeaboo

Fate/zzZZzZero 1

mmmmm... It was not the first episode I was expecting. Interesting, with a lot of character building but pretty boring.

Jex

zeroshiki said:
Fate/Zero - 01 (or is it 01-02? it was 1 hour)

LOL the sakuga people will love this episode. This might possibly have the lowest budget of any 1st episode I've seen. Its tons of exposition with inanimate characters. I usually don't care about animation but its kinda funny how obvious they were cutting corners.

Spoiler for a character appearance:
Rin is in this in loli form so I'm gonna continue watching
Less animation than Cobra (2009)? If so, I'm impressed.

So it's basically Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

jman2050

Fate/Zero 1

ufotable, if you want to make a VN then make a VN, don't try and pass one off as an anime.

There's potential here, but only if the defiant refusal to animate anything of note is just a one-off thing.

I am probably one of the biggest TM fans here and I know that all these pan shots and character stills are complete bullshit.

After I realized that this would persist throughout the entire episode I paused the stream to mentally bang my head against the wall before continuing.

I suppose it was to be expected, considering this is essentially the first section of the LN almost verbatim and that was also as wordy, but come on man.

jman2050

I wouldn't call it a trainwreck since there are some good things there, but it almost seems like ufotable didn't know what to do and just ran out of time or something.

Jex

Negator said:
Oh boy. Sounds like Fate/Zero is a trainwreck already
I think train-wrecks are exciting, or disturbing, or a spectacle or something. Not people talking over still pans.

Hela

Sket Dance 24-25
How the fuck is that a shounen comedy?
It wasn't bad, but it looked like a script they didn't use for some other anime and just decided to put it in here, unless it's faithful to the manga in which case I don't know what the author was thinking. And immediately after all that a balls-out crazy Gintama crossover? I don't get it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Friday Night L- errr... Aim for the Ace 1:

So, because of Lafiel I've been grinding through FNL like a WoW player looking for epic gear, but I since I'm in a sports narrative frame of mind, I thought I'd check out some older shows that I've been meaning to watch. It helps that current anime is pretty much ass and there's nothing really interesting to watch now.

What I find interesting about Aim for the Ace is that it has a very Oniisama e... premise, but with a tennis club instead of a student council thing. Maybe for the 70s and 80s, cliques and bitchiness was a very common theme among shoujo writers (presumably because sex and sexuality was a non-starter in the funny books). Probably even more hilarious was that it's a Dezaki directed text, so all the characters have that same look. It lacks the post card moments of his later shows, although we get things like this:

8YwT1.jpg

Given the current status of the show, I'm not sure how far I'll get into it. I did watch the movie, so it's interesting to see the lead up to the movie - and of course, to see all the similarities to Gunbuster play out in person.

Slam Dunk is next. Given its place in the "canon", I'm expecting it to be a billion times better than every single Adachi text combined!

PdotMichael said:
3 weeks later and Fate/Zero is the new Blood-C

This is retarded.

The show just STARTED, did any of you read the START of the novel?

It was people talking there too. What did you expect? Explosions and fights right off the bat?

Hela said:
Sket Dance 24-25
It wasn't bad, but it looked like a script they didn't use for some other anime and just decided to put it in here, unless it's faithful to the manga in which case I don't know what the author was thinking. And immediately after all that a balls-out crazy Gintama crossover? I don't get it.

It was in the manga and apparently the other backstories are just as messed up.

Hela said:
Sket Dance 24-25

It's not unheard of for something that is generally a comedy to have more serious moments. Look at Gintama.

wsippel

Banned
PataHikari said:
This is retarded.

It was people talking there too. What did you expect? Explosions and fights right off the bat?
Starting on a high note is usually a good idea to keep people interested. Many shows and movies work like that.

Steroyd

Hela said:
Sket Dance 24-25

"Sket Dance is basically Gintama in a school" etc.

Reknoc

PataHikari said:
This is retarded.

Why read the start of the novel when you can watch the first episode?

Hela said:
Sket Dance 24-25

thats how it done in the manga and the bolded is how sket dance rolls (serious one minute then not in the next).

should be interesting seeing the reactions when they do Bossun's backstory.

PataHikari said:
This is retarded.

Gen Urobuchi once said that he didn't write Fate/Zero for sake of anime adaptation, and it really shows. The large majority of the first half of the first volume is largely exposition and setup.

The next episode might be easier because it introduces the seventh master/servant pair, but the novel doesn't really take off until the equivalent of the adaptation's third episode or so.

Fate/Zero 1

So many characters were introduced in so much time that it was difficult to grasp it all. However the aspect of a holy grail war with these characters is compelling. I think Waver is the most interesting of the crew. Im not a fan of the bug guy.

The ending was good, liked the song.

PataHikari said:
This is retarded.

wkb82.jpg

I want just an watchable anime. I will wait till Persona but a episode like this again and I am out.

Hela

hosannainexcelsis said:
It's not unheard of for something that is generally a comedy to have more serious moments. Look at Gintama.
I haven't seen a serious episode in Gintama in years - I watch it sporadically and am few dozen episodes behind (just watched the first MonHun episode couple of days before) - nevertheless I don't remember anything as dark. But I probably will be proven wrong by someone.

Infinite Justice said:
should be interesting seeing the reactions when they do Bossun's backstory.
He's had his parents brutally murdered and eaten by a dog, didn't he?

-Minsc-

hosannainexcelsis said:
Indeed. I think it's a good thing when they do that. Those serious moments have a far greater impact when used in a normally comedic series. It really can be quite a shock.

Gin_blood.png

hosannainexcelsis said:

It's not just content but also tone. Hela is right in that there isn't really anything as dark in Gintama tone-wise. That kind of stuff is also commonplace in Gintama's setting while Sket Dance is modern day Japan.

Branduil

zeroshiki said:
Fate/Zero - 01 (or is it 01-02? it was 1 hour)

LOL the sakuga people will love this episode. This might possibly have the lowest budget of any 1st episode I've seen. Its tons of exposition with inanimate characters. I usually don't care about animation but its kinda funny how obvious they were cutting corners.
But but but...

This is confirmed to be 25 episodes? Is there even enough material for that? Also I highly and I mean HIGHLY doubt they can keep even remotely close to that quality level throughout. Some of those shots are some of the best work I've seen in anime, period. I mean there are other components such as motion, choreography, and whatnot but the backgrounds themselves are off the charts.

As I said, I'm aware that Aniplex is pumping ungodly amounts of money into this. If this is indeed 25 episodes and they keep this quality level, I wouldn't be surprised to find out this was the most expensive anime ever produced.
However as you also stated, ufotable does deserve alot of credit for this. Very few studios even with the proper money and time could pull something like this off. The only three I could think of is KyoAni, Madhouse, and Production IG. Even then I have my doubts as to whether Madhouse and Production IG could pull this off.

Reknoc

Sket Dance is kinda different though since 24 - 25, at least for me
changed how I saw Switch
. Though Gintama sort of did that with Sogo's Sister arc.

-Minsc-

Infinite Justice said:
tshould be interesting seeing the reactions when they do Bossun's backstory.
Regrettably I had part of that spoiled elsewhere when people were discussing the SkeTama crossover. o_O I'm unable to unread it.

Reknoc said:
Sket Dance is kinda different though since 24 - 25, at least for me
changed how I saw Switch
. Though Gintama sort of did that with Sogo's Sister arc.

Yeah, I'm honestly having trouble looking at the guy without thinking about what happened to him. Kind of considering rewatching the series from episode 1 to see if there are any hints outside his personality.

-Minsc- said:
Regrettably I had part of that spoiled elsewhere when people were discussing the SkeTama crossover. o_O I'm unable to unread it.

that sucks to hear you were spoiled.

its really very interesting and thats all i'll say

hosannainexcelsis said:
Welp, KyoAni had a good run. Guess we can forget about that K-ON movie now.

Or the K-ON movie will the most important movie ever for them (have to make back dem losses)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom