• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Dresden said:
http://www.egoist-inori.jp/
Halycon said:
I can't tell if that's good web design or bad web design.
Dunno if it's good or bad, but it looks cool to me.
Also just noticed there's an official tagline on the main Guilty Crown site: "The right to use my friend as a weapon. That is the sinful crown I shall adorn."

Dresden

Articalys said:
Dunno if it's good or bad, but it looks cool to me.
Also just noticed there's an official tagline on the main Guilty Crown site: "The right to use my friend as a weapon. That is the sinful crown I shall adorn."
Looks like the girl turns into/produces a huge sword so I'm fine with that.

Unknown Soldier said:
The biggest problem with Horizon is that it starts and ends kind of in the middle of whatever story it is supposed to have. If randomly adapting a random part of the story in the middle of things isn't a recipe for plot disaster, I don't know what is.

Wait, when was this confirmed?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Lain said:
Welcome back man, enjoy your ride with R2.

Thanks, sure it will be fun.

Regulus Tera said:
You better make up for this bullshit with live season 2 impressions.

Will do...

Code Geass has a certain bravado to do the stuff it does without having to explain shit for what it does. Those balls are commendable.

That, and something else. Despite Lelouch's sense of justice and morality - you can't help but to cheer for the guy. It's like his ambitions are so high, and lofty, that with every victory you revel in it's glory. It isn't that his strategies are particularly complex or genius either - it's just that when it happens it fucking hilarious for some reason.

Like when Suzaku
fell into the same energy trap twice
LOL.

Zero no Tsukaima: Futatsuki no Kishi ZnT2 - 2:

Damn, shit's like all serious and shit now. Character development for Henrietta. Great ending to this episode.

Gee, having Dispel as one of the spells for void magic seems a bit OP. Louise can cancel any elemental magic spell, regardless of it's power or combination! That's not OP at all! Still, it's nice to see Louise using magic right for a change. I'm assuming we'll see Destruction magic again this season too, what with a war going on and that sort of thing.

cosmicblizzard said:
I am incredibly disappointed that smugdouche only gets 2 character lines. I want to see everybody with red lines pointed at him.

Kinda like this?

arrows.jpg

Geneijin

Unknown Soldier said:
The biggest problem with Horizon is that it starts and ends kind of in the middle of whatever story it is supposed to have. If randomly adapting a random part of the story in the middle of things isn't a recipe for plot disaster, I don't know what is.
Here's betting it'll be a very loose adaptation in every sense.

ZnT2 - 3:

The shift in tone between the first and second seasons is pretty pronounced. There's still a fair amount of tsundere comedy hijinks but the overarching story surrounding the tsundere action has turned quite serious. It's hilarious seeing the way Louise and Saito act when some other character tries really hard to seduce one or the other. The trick with the tsundere comedy is to behave convincingly when voicing the characters, which is probably a lot harder to do than most people imagine. Fortunately Rie Kugimiya and Satoshi Hino (Saito, Yuuji in Boring Shana, Koichi in Nabari no Ou) have been together and practicing doing this tsundere and her foil shit for long enough that they have a natural chemistry and doing this stuff really comes off like the most natural thing in the world for them at this point.

In unrelated news, heterochromia makes it's debut in ZnT this episode. Hooray for dichromatic irises!

The new OP for season 2 reflects the more serious story shift, and it's also pretty awesome. The new ED is pretty okay, I guess.

cajunator

Banned
Sonofabitch I fell asleep on my keyboard again and wrote a letter to the aliens.
Now I don't have time to watch Usagi Drop. Gotta work tonight. But I'm off again on Sunday.

Articalys

Dammit, I'm going to be out all day today. Looking forward to an additional twenty pages from discussion of the new shows by the time I get back.

NewFresh

cajunator said:
Sonofabitch I fell asleep on my keyboard again and wrote a letter to the aliens.
Now I don't have time to watch Usagi Drop. Gotta work tonight. But I'm off again on Sunday.

What's that animegaf saying again?

Sleep when your dead

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Extollere said:
Ugggh - Well I picked a hell of a time to go and get myself banned. Right when I was about to start the first season of Code Geass! I would have loved to have posted my impressions here on a per-episode basis, but my impressions of the season will have to suffice instead.

Great review and basically sums up why this anime is so great.

There are series to me that don't the match of the sum of the parts, technically outstanding in every possible measure yet boring as all hell to watch.

And then there's Geass. The greatest example of style over substance working better of all time. It is a series with ridiculous pizzazz and fabulous all over the place, it is utterly thrilling and in my mind the most entertaining anime of all time.

Is it the best anime of all time based on technical merits? No it is not. But in terms of the overall package including the sheer entertainment, the thrill of it all, the sheer euphoria of the series, its right up there for me. There's really nothing like it.

Looking forward to your thoughts on R2. It's a crazier ride than the first season.

Shouta

Started watching SRW OG: The Inspector since it's finished and man it's absolutely amazing. Fantastic animation, great fights, perfect direction, and OBARI! It's been awhile since I watched a mech series that's basically nailing it in every respect. It's cut some of the fat from the games and it's even introduced a few new things already, so awesome.

weeaboo

BluWacky said:
You did watch Kara no Kyoukai, right?

Yes, and I love it. Every single second of it (even the stupid moe-moe-kyn nun episode). Seriously, I can understand the Type Moon hate but i don't get the Ufotable hate.

darkside31337 said:
Haters will stop hating in 80 minutes or so.

This train will never stop!

But I need some opinions. I played yesterday some Valkyria Chronicles and I like it. Okay, the Story is ridiculous and the Cast is lame but Isara is superb.

nEjy3.jpg

Is Valyria Chronicles worth watching?

NewFresh

Fuujin Monogatari (Windy Tales) Ep.1

2wc0kyf.png

I started this show on a whim, knowing that I don't have time to add another show to my currently watching list. Now I wish I hadn't. The art style of the show seems like it could be a bit off-putting to some people, but it worked perfectly for me and IMO for the show its self.
The plot is simple enough where you don't question the logic behind it, but deep enough to keep you interested. I hope I can keep watching it more regularly and somehow finish it... the dvd's are pretty hard to come by.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Tsundere Potter 7-8: I wish Louise would wear that kind of outfit on her more often, she's actually cute in a short skirt. And then we get some backstory for Tabitha, but there's one bit that's kinda stupid IMO. Yes, her mother protected her from being poisoned by taking the drink from her, but why on Earth would she then drink it herself? Wouldn't it make more sense to say, dump in on the ground and just feign that you accidentally spilled/dropped it? Just stupid IMO. I do feel sorry for Tabitha though, constantly being targeted for death, being assigned missions that were designed to kill her off, she actually has good reason to be the way she is.

PdotMichael said:
Is Valyria Chronicles worth watching?

I'd advise against it, to be honest. I mean, sure you can watch it, but it's not anywhere near as good as the game, and actually hurts it to an extent I'd say.

duckroll

Okay, looks like Nico isn't streaming Fate/Zero right now. I read the PR again, and they're going to stream it an hour from now, right after Tokyo MX finishes airing the first 2 episodes.

Jex

PairOfFilthySocks said:
Good gravy, thank fuck I never really got into anime. Why is nearly every damn show centered around a school?
Something to do with the supposed audience.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
PairOfFilthySocks said:
Good gravy, thank fuck I never really got into anime. Why is nearly every damn show centered around a school?
So they remember the good years of their life when they had free time.

Steroyd

PairOfFilthySocks said:

Where else are we going to have male leads who are scared of women, and a legal reason for groping highschool girls breasts?

RurouniZel

Zero's getting too Familiar 9-10: Louise is much cuter dere than tsun, but that's just my opinion. I'm still on Team Siesta for now. Plus, a rival shows up and brings Saito's lack of swordsman ability into sharp relief. Thank God, the show needs a competent character.

On a side note: I'd love to see an anime with a tsundere being tsundere while mid-fuck. "I-I'm not fucking you because I want to or anything! I just keep slipping onto it over and over! It can't be helped!"

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I came in for the Louise, but I stayed for the Henrietta.
PairOfFilthySocks said:
Because high school is where shounen no haato peaks.

zeroshiki

Fate/Zero - 01 (or is it 01-02? it was 1 hour)

LOL the sakuga people will love this episode. This might possibly have the lowest budget of any 1st episode I've seen. Its tons of exposition with inanimate characters. I usually don't care about animation but its kinda funny how obvious they were cutting corners.

Spoiler for a character appearance:
Rin is in this in loli form so I'm gonna continue watching

-Minsc-

Black Republican said:
i want a skies of arcadia anime :(
I want a Phantasy Star Online anime. Unfortunately that will likely never happen. If it did, there's almost no way it would be any good.

RurouniZel

Zero's Tsundere 11-13: Well, that was enjoyable. I knew that because the rival was competent, he was most likely evil. And tsundere-sama actually kissed her familiar, I'm shocked. Tsunderes don't kiss, they just pout and blush and yell and stuff. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom