• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Madoka 1-END

Finally got around to marathoning this. My brain's kinda reeling right now, but the functioning part is telling me that this was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever watched. The witch scenes aka let's take the OP from the SZS3 OVA and make it even more freakin' nuts had me manually retrieving my jaw from the floor every time.
Homura vs Walpurgis Night had me manually retrieving my head.

Also Charlotte (the omnomnom bit) is adorable.

Jex

Geneijin said:
This is a seasonal thread though unless you mean official threads?
I assume he means 'genera' threads also, but that would be a bad idea. They'd move just as fast as this one. Which is why we have show specific threads.

Usagi Drop 8/9:

There isn't even any reason for me to talk about this. Everyone's already said all that needs to be said about it. Guess I'll take a food break and finish this show up.

Cwarrior

Sket dan 24-25

I thought I was ready....but I was far from it,
my view of switch is forever changed

Moral of the story "bro’s over hoes"

Jex

Unknown Soldier said:
Usagi Drop 8/9:

There isn't even any reason for me to talk about this. Everyone's already said all that needs to be said about it. Guess I'll take a food break and finish this show up.
Well I don't know, there's always more to say. Like "this part sucks" or "this part was especially well done".

Steroyd

DiGiKerot said:
Dammit, man, I could write off everyone else as joking about it, but between people saying that it's great, and people elsewhere on the interwebs claiming it's the Worstest Thing Ever, I might actually have to watch the damn thing...

It certainly is a glorious show to watch.

Watching it yourself is the way to go, because a simple description doesn't do enough.

Instro

A Huge Battleship said:
Madoka 1-END

Finally got around to marathoning this. My brain's kinda reeling right now, but the functioning part is telling me that this was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever watched. The witch scenes aka let's take the OP from the SZS3 OVA and make it even more freakin' nuts had me manually retrieving my jaw from the floor every time.
Homura vs Walpurgis Night had me manually retrieving my head.

Also Charlotte (the omnomnom bit) is adorable.
Yep very enjoyable show. One of my top 5 for the year.

Geneijin

Lord Ghirahim said:
Dantalian no Booxploitation's ending was as weak and predictable as the rest of the series. Is the manga any better?
I thought the novels at best had an interesting concept and some nice ideas, which were more or less conveyed better and unfaithfully (for the better) in the anime.

Short answer: No.

Dresden

darkside31337 said:
SHAFTbros unite. Madoka was my 2nd favorite show this year after Steins;Gate.
wut

You're not a Shaftbro yet, brosef. You need to pass the Four Trials of the Dragon first.
And you failed the first one because you didn't like Bake.

Jex

Hellsing321 said:
So NIchijou was a bigger bomb than the 3DS? Should have put in on iOS.
They just tried to make a comedy without many funny parts. I'm not surprised it went wrong.

DiGiKerot said:
I find it hard to be too disappointed in any episode which uses "i" as it's ED, but that's just me.

Now, the animation for next week looked really kind of janky in the preview. Hopefully the new OP will be good enough to make up for that...

What, 14 * 20 = 280 minutes where I come from (or 320-ish minutes without OP/EDs), so either you're talking double-speed or old anime shows had shorter episodes than I remember...

I used magic math, okay!

cajunator

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Feyris Nyannyan is actually an important part of the story. She's not there for decoration.

Since I've been busy playing games I have to marathon my way through a few shows now to get caught up before the new season starts. Sigh.
Feyris Nyannyan is really the best name ever.

Andrew J.

Steins;Gate 02

The nekomimi-meido actually appeared in the episode. She has jiggly boobs and ends every sentence with "Nyan!" That's not to say I'm bothered by it, just amazed that certain people like this show in spite of it. It must get really good.

Anyway, I thought this episode did a good job of showing how freaky time travel and its side effects can be when you're not expecting them.

-Minsc-

cosmicblizzard said:
Gintama 216

I've noticed this series throws out random terms from anime/games/whatever for things that are completely unrelated. Apparently strawberry milk is Metalso Gear and a hammer made out of tissue boxes and toilet paper is a Patriot. I wonder what Kojima would think of this.

They really put a lot of work into the "no job is unimportant" aesop with the Patriot thing :lol
We all should make one.

img02b462dbzikezj.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Andrew J. said:
Steins;Gate 02

The nekomimi-meido actually appeared in the episode. She has jiggly boobs and ends every sentence with "Nyan!" That's not to say I'm bothered by it, just amazed that certain people like this show in spite of it. It must get really good.

Anyway, I thought this episode did a good job of showing how freaky time travel and its side effects can be when you're not expecting them.
I want to watch it BECAUSE it has a Nekomimi meido in it.

Uchip

Banned
cajunator said:
I want to watch it BECAUSE it has a Nekomimi meido in it.

steins;gate only gets away with it because its set in Akihabara
and she works at a maid cafe
so dont get your hopes up

zeroshiki

PataHikari said:
This is retarded.

The show just STARTED, did any of you read the START of the novel?

It was people talking there too. What did you expect? Explosions and fights right off the bat?

The start of the what? Who cares? Why would I need to read the start of the novel? I watched the first 2(!) episodes of an anime series that was animated on some kid's allowance money that was people standing around and talking. Sorry if I'm not a big enough fan to read the novels and appreciate its glory.

There was an extended conversation OUTSIDE A WINDOW looking into static shadows. That was how bad it got.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Andrew J. said:
Steins;Gate 02

I'm going through the series now and I'm a few episodes ahead of you. I don't really see her as fan service as she eventually gets fleshed out, and she's more just a part of the culture the main characters live in. There's story impact to that stuff as well that comes to pass, so it's kind of hard to find fault with it.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
It can be both!
It probably is both.

Jexhius said:
They just tried to make a comedy without many funny parts. I'm not surprised it went wrong.
No, they made a funnier comedy than almost anything this side of Excel Saga, but it's not otaku-centric enough to sell. It's pretty sad.

Dresden said:
Too bad R-15 didn't sell either, there'll never be another season now I'm sure.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Sure, there are puzzles but I wouldn't describe it as primarily a puzzle game. Plus the reference seemed more about the maze-like dungeons than anything else. Just seemed an odd way to write the translator's note.
Wizardry isn't a puzzle game, but apart from the maze element (which, yes, is a puzzle element), the classic Western dungeon crawlers also did have text puzzle elements as well, which usually are entirely missing in Japanese dungeon crawlers in favor of more grinding and moore mazes... it's unfortunate that they don't have that side in them, the writing in games like the (Western) Wizardry games was pretty good.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Fate/zero 1 - This was really boring, i mean the direction and the way it's framed is KIND of interesting, and the music and backgrounds are genuinely decent, but it's honestly the most boring 47 minutes i have ever watched, the dialogue is typical typemoon exposition eg it's shit, composition is the usual ufotable awfulness with the horrid lighting and CG, and much like fate/stay night; the setting and story is genuinely interesting on paper, but the way it's executed through it's writing is just plain awful, i will not be watching a another episode of this.:)

I think Typemoon fans will be happy with it at least, as it seems to be very faithful to the source material, but i don't think it will do much for non type-moon fans at all.

zeroshiki

Marrshu said:
Speak for yourself. Having read the original novel, I expected nothing else.

The worst part was the one or two people complaining about the animation a bit ago when the only source up, at the time, was Nico Nico's lower-than-web-quality stream. =p

I was the first to complain. I saw it in HD. It did not improve the quality.

Articalys

Holy shit, I missed a lot of discussion, news, and drama while I was gone today.

Have some Saimoe junk while I sort everything out.
E2
1st 271 Charlotte Dunois @ Infinite Stratos
2nd 244 Minami Shimada @ Baka To Test To Shoukanjuu
3rd 46 Sohara Mitsuki @ Sora No Otoshimono

F2
1st 242 Yoshika Miyafuji @ Strike Witches
2nd 166 Arashiko Yuuno @ MM!
3rd 114 Hiro @ Hidamari Sketch

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Charlotte already so close to losing. And to Baka To Test To Shoukanjuu characters at that.

Usagi Drop 10/11 END:

A small piece of life-affirming joy distilled into animation. 11 episodes that went by too fast. A minor masterpiece of the art form.

I don't care how it actually ends, I want another season of this.

RIN IS SO KAWAII~

RurouniZel said:
Watching S2 of Rie's Familiar. Yep, they've decided the male audience of this show is M.

What the hell? You caught up with me in 2 days?

cosmicblizzard said:
Pika-tan or ninja fox-girl? Such a hard choice.
That is a tough one, isn't it... the second one's much easier, Nano's the obvious choice. As for that first group though, I guess Pika-tan probably, though Yukikaze has more actual character (Pika-tan barely ever gets any lines...).

Instro

Fate/Zero 1

Well looks like I'm in duckroll's camp on this one. Yes animation was minimal, particularly in the first half(got better in that respect as the episode went on). Yes there is a lot of information thrown at you, and often delivered in barrages by the characters. However, the premise and the storyline being introduced were compelling enough to keep me interested in what was happening. It was pretty effective in creating the foundation for the rest of the story. The art direction was ok, although the lighting was a distracting at times. Solid character designs/art, combined with some quite detailed backgrounds, left me pleased with the overall look though. The characters seemed pretty interesting, mostly adults which is rather unique compared to FSN. The background music was particularly outstanding, certainly one of the most enjoyable parts about the episode, and it was used effectively to be sure.

Having said that, I can understand why people may not like it. If you couldn't get into the story being told and got bored, the minimal animation would only contribute to that feeling.

Oh and that scene with the two guys walking around in circles was pretty awful, very nearly stopped at that point. The first 10 minutes or so are pretty weak, and I was not feeling the show at all, but I think it started to hit its stride for me at around the time of the scene with the old man and his son,
leading into that creepy bug pit. Gross.

Bakuman 2 ep 1
tumblr_lsew4pli9V1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Well that was a great start to the season. Eiji is still as funny as ever and with Hiramaru, it made for non stop laughter. I think I preferred first seasons opening and ending better, however this season ending is still good. My favorite track from the background was still present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom