• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

Blood-C 10

What the fuck is going on? @_@

2z9ayv5.gif

Articalys

On the Funimation news, nice to see the disc license and same-day simulcasts of Guilty Crown, don't care about .hack, and I'm curious how the subscription model will work out, especially what's going to become exclusive content.

On the KyoAni stuff, I... don't really have an opinion. It's a ridiculously provocative article anyway. I thought Nichijou was an okay show, at any rate, but have no idea what all the factors were with its physical release.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
Hmm. How hot is the coach, and how 80s is his hair?

Bitches love mullets.
It's all 70s baby. Everyone wears flares like it's never going out of style.

Also, even taken in context, this is kind of funny.
ew9lfl.jpg

I'm going to die when I hit the wall for the series. I think I need to read the manga or start Crimson Hero or something. :(

Articalys said:
On the KyoAni stuff, I... don't really have an opinion. It's a ridiculously provocative article anyway. I thought Nichijou was an okay show, at any rate, but have no idea what all the factors were with its physical release.

It's sensationalist journalism at its worst. All the original tweet said was "The KyoAni myth has collapsed." In other words, Nichijou shows that not everything that KyoAni touches turns to sales gold. I'm sure its poor sales were not only due to the kind of show it was but also to the even more overpriced than usual Kadokawa BDs.

KyoAni will live to fight another day. Even if it's just for K-ON.

I would say the production budget was too high for a show like Nichijou.

Nichijou was a lot better animated than Azumanga Daioh or
Fate/Zero
or other comedy shows it was upper anime class.

Uchip

Banned
PdotMichael said:
I would say the production budget was too high for a show like Nichijou.

Nichijou was a lot better animated than Azumanga Daioh or
Fate/Zero
or other comedy shows it was upper anime class.

its easy to animate shows where everything is simple colour with minimal shading though

cajunator said:
Nichijou suffers from the fact that Azumanga daioh exists and was pretty good.

Azumanga Daioh was consistently funny every single episode. Sometimes it was absolutely hilarious. Most comedies of any kind, in any medium, in any language, can't claim that kind of consistency.

THE IDORUM@STER 13:

Farewell to I'M LADY. Sigh. They didn't even have time to show the OP one last time this episode because of all the stuff they were cramming in.

I don't actually know what the point of showing the song's name is if you're only going to play it for literally 3 seconds while displaying a still frame. I know, I know, animation budgets aren't unlimited, and they probably had the same net amount of dance animation time as Smoky Thrill got way back in episode 6, but if you're going to spam a bunch of songs at us, would it KILL you to play more than 3 seconds of each one?

I'm just glad that they are digging into the album stuff too now. Day of the Future was in this episode. I would also like to see Aozora Namida (remember this? It's Blood+ OP1, performed by the Futami Twins), Tip Taps Tip, Kiss Me Good-Bye, Tori no Uta, and whatever else they could get licensed. Well, some of those songs would be under the Sony Music umbrella so A-1 Pictures could probably get a pass on having them in the show.

They are still saving relations and Overmaster for later, I guess. relations will be epic if they can get that one in there fully animated. Since Jupiter haven't really made their debut yet, we also haven't seen Alice or Guilty yet besides 0.5 seconds of it a few episodes back.

Gintama 57

Some nice callback gags in this one. Watching from the beginning is starting to pay off.

I hope we get more backstory on Gintoki and his past associates soon; the hints dropped here and earlier are intriguing. This next arc looks promising in that regard.

Come to think of it, it's pointless to catch up on CLAMP-B since it's all censored anyways. I'll wait for uncensored versions since so behind at this point. They'll have all the uncensored released before the movie anyways.

I'm like 6 episodes behind on Hurrdurr-Pinguindrum but I might take a break and find something to eat instead.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
PdotMichael said:
Isn't Working the anime with the cheap looking CGI backgrounds? urgh...
No? Either way the new season is being handled by different people and looks completely different.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Articalys said:
Holy shit, I missed a lot of discussion, news, and drama while I was gone today.

Have some Saimoe junk while I sort everything out.

Alright! Either Yuuko or Nano win this round.

It wasn't supposed to be like this :(

All up to Nano now to save this contest.

duckroll

Unknown Soldier said:
Come to think of it, it's pointless to catch up on CLAMP-B since it's all censored anyways. I'll wait for uncensored versions since so behind at this point. They'll have all the uncensored released before the movie anyways.

I'm like 6 episodes behind on Hurrdurr-Pinguindrum but I might take a break and find something to eat instead.

Censorship is part of the experience. Uncensored joy can come later.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Idolm@ster 13 - Pretty hit and miss, a bit disappointing considering it was a climatic episode in the series. The last few minutes were pretty awesome, the scenario was good, they were some good character interactions with chihaya and haruka, but the backstage drama was kinda annoying and poorly executed, and didn't make the overall episode as satisfying as it should have. Looking forward to seeing how the second half of the series plays out at least, especially since the staff list for the future episodes atm are all gainax staffers.:eek:

The two seiyuus who are absolutely credible singers in THE IDOLM@STER's cast are Asami Imai (Chihaya) and Manami Numakura (Hibiki). They could be real pop singers with those voices. Well, there's also Rie Kugimiya, she does that awesome version of Renai Circulation.

zeroshiki said:
Watching Lafiel slowly get disappointed in Idolm@ster is delicious.

Get on the Guilty Crown train, man.

Fuck that shit. The Persona 4 train will be pulling out of the station soon, you'd better get on or you'll miss the only train worth riding this season.

I promise I'll work on the P4 |OT| sometime soon, since it's going to start airing Friday.

Uchip said:
uh
where?
and i recall similar outburts of animation in jungle wa hale noichi guu
and that was a long time ago

After a Google and videos check, I don't know how you can compare "Jungle Wa Hale Nochi Guu" with Nichijou.

Just watch a episode of Nichijou and some other shows and you can see a nice difference between Nichijou and an standard tv comedy anime.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Seriously though the colors have nothing to do with the animation in general. Your animation knowledge is seriously warped Uchip.

Miri said:
I watch all my anime in 60fps anyway.

The native framerate for anime is 23.976 (~24hz), the same as Hollywood movies. I watch all my anime in 1080p/24 as properly supported by my home theater setup. You can only get smooth pans and zooms in 24hz modes, if you watch movies and anime in 60hz you get 2:3 pulldown judder. This is why Blu-ray's native framerate is 24hz, incidentally. Until Blu-ray, it wasn't possible to easily watch movies without judder, but once you've watched movies without judder it's hard to go back to 60hz with pulldown.

Well, at least it isn't Star Driver or Code Geass. Those shows were pretty bad.

The fuck? Code Geass was and is the Fabulous Anime of the Forever.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Unknown Soldier said:
The native framerate for anime is 23.976 (~24hz), the same as movies. I watch all my anime in 1080p/24 as properly supported by my home theater setup. You can only get smooth pans and zooms in 24hz modes, if you watch movies and anime in 60hz you get 2:3 pulldown judder. This is why Blu-ray's native framerate is 24hz, incidentally. Until Blu-ray, it wasn't possible to easily watch movies without judder, but once you've watched movies without judder it's hard to go back to 60hz with pulldown.
Plenty of anime have 30fps pans, or just random segments that are 30fps.

Dantalian no Shoka Final

Not really sure what to make of that ending. Almost a Gainax ending, but I assume it follows the source material so that would be a misnomer. Still a lot that needs to be explained. I'm really curious about the other bibliotecas and wonder how many more there are. Not gonna read the LN, so I hope there's a season 2 (or at least the manga translation picks up).

Overall, this was an interesting series. It has a VASTLY different tone than what I was expecting based on the few chapters of the manga I read which were unfortunately a lot more interesting than everything else I've seen (with the exception of episode 4 which it corresponded with). Doesn't mean it was bad though. Not really good either. Didn't lose my time.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
darkside31337 said:
He's saying your pain threshold is extraordinary.
This kind of behavior is unacceptable from a Cadet in the Penguin Squad.

Aigis said:
Plenty of anime have 30fps pans, or just random segments that are 30fps.

Sometimes this happens when it's TV anime, and I wish they wouldn't do this because it messes with my framerate in 24hz mode. I run into that problem rarely though. Anime movies are always 24hz, thank god.

Other times they are just stupid and do a bad framerate conversion when releasing the Blu-rays too, for example the OreImo Blu-rays were infamously all in 1080p/30 the whole episode just because of a few sections of the OP were 30hz. Stupid dogs! Idiot dogs! Pervert dogs! :|

darkside31337 said:
This opinion is hilariously wrong. Code Geass really is the fabulous anime of the forever. Penguindrum cannot touch it.
I wasn't comparing Pengruindrum to it, I just decided to mention the last two shows that I thought were terrible. Whatever though.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Unknown Soldier said:
Sometimes this happens when it's TV anime, and I wish they wouldn't do this because it messes with my framerate in 24hz mode. I run into that problem rarely though. Anime movies are always 24hz, thank god.

Other times they are just stupid and do a bad framerate conversion when releasing the Blu-rays too, for example the OreImo Blu-rays were infamously all in 1080p/30 the whole episode just because of a few sections of the OP were 30hz. Stupid dogs! Idiot dogs! Pervert dogs! :|
It's more rare nowadays yeah, but it still happens a bit.

Also that's not a bad conversion. The episode itself is telecined to 30fps and the OP is 30fps interlaced. It's the most proper way to do it, unless you want a stuttery OP with dropped frames.
Uchip said:
you know hes right though
I can do a pretty fluid flipbook animation!
I really don't think you get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom