• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marrshu said:
Because you can totally judge the budget and frames off Niconico's not even 480p stream, right?

I haven't seen it yet and I doubt I'd be as critical as everyone else in animegaf, but that isn't how frames work.

Sophia

cosmicblizzard said:
I haven't seen it yet and I doubt I'd be as critical as everyone else in animegaf, but that isn't how frames work.

I honestly don't know what he was expecting. The first episode was going to be all talking, and it's not like they're going to waste a huge amount of the budget on it.

He, on the other hand, is making it sound like it was four frame stick figures. =p

Honestly, I'd read the Fate/zero novel (after I read Fate/stay night, since it seems to assume prior knowledge of the franchise), but the anime hasn't given me any reason to watch it specifically. The visuals don't benefit the story in any way.

Sophia

Dresden said:
As long as P4 is able to deliver on the fanservice for fans of the game, fuck yeah.

Bring on Rise Chie!

Social links are in, at the very least.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Honestly, I'd read the Fate/zero novel (after I read Fate/stay night, since it seems to assume prior knowledge of the franchise), but the anime hasn't given me any reason to watch it specifically. The visuals don't benefit the story in any way.

Again, they only did the prologue plus part of act 1. :\

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
I don't think anyone is expecting anything of the new shows this season, we're all self hating nerds.
But there's all them Guilty Crown fans...

Marrshu said:
Most of the internet is cautiously optimistic, from the looks of things.
Probably the side of the Internet who is only watching Persona 4 because of the game though.

trejo said:
You'd be surprised.

And I seriously think the music will be good, at least.
Meguro will save Persona!!! ? Probably.

---

Aim for the Ace 14
Hey, there's the Dezaki we know and love:
6TO3w.jpg

Risette

A Good Citizen
Marrshu said:
I honestly don't know what he was expecting. The first episode was going to be all talking, and it's not like they're going to waste a huge amount of the budget on it.

He, on the other hand, is making it sound like it was four frame stick figures. =p
Usually people expect a hook to keep watching with the first episode, not 48 minutes of unanimated talking heads shooting exposition diarrhea at the viewer.

Maybe they should've adapted it differently!

Sophia

Aigis said:
Usually people expect a hook to keep watching with the first episode, not 48 minutes of unanimated talking heads shooting exposition diarrhea at the viewer.

Maybe they should've adapted it differently!

I'd rather have a faithful adaption of the novel than a misleading hook for people. But I'm also not a self-hating nerd who drops a show after one episode. :\

Besides, we've seen what happens when one of Nasu's works is adapted unfaithfully. Or would you rather have another mana transfer dragon? :p

Reknoc

The thing about Fate/Zero (the logo makes it look like fatexero) is that I'm not really sure who it's supposed to appeal to. For people who are familiar with the source material they're basically sitting through being told what they already know. For people who aren't they're likely going to be put off by a visually uninteresting first episode.

Sophia

Aigis said:
That does not make for a good anime.

Didn't exactly make for the most interesting or well written prologue either in the original novel. You're talking about something that was a fault with the source material, not a byproduct of ufotable's animation.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Marrshu said:
I'd rather have a faithful adaption of the novel than a misleading hook for people. But I'm also not a self-hating nerd who drops a show after one episode. :\
Sticking with a show after a bad episode because you think it'll get better is exactly the kind of thing a self-hating nerd would do.

Reknoc

Marrshu said:
It is an adaption for the fans, after all, and they look happy with it.

But an adaption should change to be more fitting to the media it's being adapted to. Therefor:

Marrshu said:
Didn't exactly make for the most interesting or well written prologue either in the original novel. You're talking about something that was a fault with the source material, not a byproduct of ufotable's animation.

Could have and should have been fixed.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Marrshu said:
They had the chance to fix it while adapting it, instead they just transfer over a fault. It's their fault as a result.

weeaboo

Lot of fanservice + some social links + good music + good fights and even if the Persona 4 anime is awful the fans will enjoy it. So yeah, maybe it's not going to be good but it's really easy to make it enjoyable

Gintama 216

I've noticed this series throws out random terms from anime/games/whatever for things that are completely unrelated. Apparently strawberry milk is Metalso Gear and a hammer made out of tissue boxes and toilet paper is a Patriot. I wonder what Kojima would think of this.

They really put a lot of work into the "no job is unimportant" aesop with the Patriot thing :lol

BluWacky

Blood-C - END

Loved it. Episodes 10-12 were just ace - the fulfilment of the Covenant CLAMP has with its fans.

You may say it's a "troll" series. It was nothing less than I expected, and it was all the more glorious for it - and beyond its storyline, it was technically polished with some great fight sequences, background artwork, music and acting.

Bring on the film next year!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
hosannainexcelsis said:
Gintama 54

"Wizardry is a puzzle game that's been around for decades." Uh, what?

The Odd Jobs trio are so sexy in their host uniforms.

You never played Wizardry before? Not sure what you don't get.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
hosannainexcelsis said:
A "puzzle" game?

There are puzzles in Wizardry. Some of the puzzles in Japan were virtually unsolvable because it required knowledge on things like American culture that they simply wouldn't have known anything about. Hence the reference about how it's so complicated.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Saturday Night Slam Dunks 1:

Heh, I was expecting a serious sports show and I got a high school comedy instead. I guess this is how the dude managed to trick people into liking basketball. I can only presume that it gets more serious once the team comes together.

icarus-daedelus said:
1 to 14 already? Dude, you are a robot.
I see floating leaves and windswept hair, but it needs a monochrome sepia tone and more wind streaks to qualify as true Dezaki.
See sepia/weird colour separation on the last page!

And yeah, it turns out that sports shoujo is super addictive. Bitches being so bitchy!

darkside31337 said:
There are puzzles in Wizardry. Some of the puzzles in Japan were virtually unsolvable because it required knowledge on things like American culture that they simply wouldn't have known anything about. Hence the reference about how it's so complicated.

Sure, there are puzzles but I wouldn't describe it as primarily a puzzle game. Plus the reference seemed more about the maze-like dungeons than anything else. Just seemed an odd way to write the translator's note.

DiGiKerot

BluWacky said:
Blood-C - END

Loved it. Episodes 10-12 were just ace - the fulfilment of the Covenant CLAMP has with its fans.

You may say it's a "troll" series. It was nothing less than I expected, and it was all the more glorious for it - and beyond its storyline, it was technically polished with some great fight sequences, background artwork, music and acting.

Bring on the film next year!

Dammit, man, I could write off everyone else as joking about it, but between people saying that it's great, and people elsewhere on the interwebs claiming it's the Worstest Thing Ever, I might actually have to watch the damn thing...

NewFresh

DiGiKerot said:
Dammit, man, I could write off everyone else as joking about it, but between people saying that it's great, and people elsewhere on the interwebs claiming it's the Worstest Thing Ever, I might actually have to watch the damn thing...
It can be both!

jman2050

Marrshu said:
I see unacceptable Fate/Zero bashing. Violators shall now be EXCAAAAALIBUR'D

Fate/Zero was an actual novel, tho? And this was merely the prologue. If you were expecting anything else, then what the hell?

Might I add, they followed the prologue fairly faithfully.

I expect an adaptation to tailor its source material to the format it's being adapted to. This is not a difficult thing to do.

A novel is not a TV show. What works in one may not work in the other.

Andrew J.

Decided to check out some Crunchyroll shows to get my money's worth out of my subscription.

Squid Girl 01

It's been a while since I've watched a series with a main character this stupid.

Steins;Gate 01

The OP appears to contain a nekomimi-meido. And yet monocle-GAF likes it.

"If a paranoid schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur accidentally discovered time travel, how badly would he fuck everything up" is a pretty good premise, I'll give you that much.

Instro

Idolm@ster 13
That was a bit disappointing to be honest. You could totally tell they were cheaping it up during most of the episode, but it was so weird that basically none of the song/dance numbers were animated till the final two. Even when they got to those last 2-3 numbers, while the animation was great, it just didn't last as long as I was really hoping. I was kind of expecting them to go all out in this episode and wow me, but it didn't really happen until the closing minutes.

Oh well, onto the 2nd half of the series.

duckroll

Fate/Zero Episode 1

That wasn't bad at all. I expected the worst, but I'm actually pretty surprised. For a 47 minute series premiere of a Ufotable show based on a novel series set in a Type-Moon world with nothing but dialogue between characters, it was surprisingly very well directed. The pace was effective, and the way the narrative played between the different characters was pretty compelling.

I also find the art direction pretty attractive, even though the majority of the backgrounds are indeed CGI. There's a good level of detail, and the colors are pretty strong throughout, which is something that usual Ufotable works lack. The music is shockingly subtle for a Kajiura soundtrack, and it actually sounds beautiful and haunting at times.

The subject matter itself is interesting enough that I think I will continue to follow the series until it goes bad, or until I lose interest. I find it pretty unique and different for a show to spent this much time detailing the characters involved, and laying out the ground work for what is to come. It's also interesting that almost all the major players in the series seem to be adults. Not something you see every day.

Hopefully the rest of the series continues to play on the dramatic elements of the scenario, instead of turning into a childish fighting anime, because I think the idea of treating the direction like a series live action movie actually works for the subject matter they're presenting here. I guess the director does deserve credit for that, considering he also directed Wandering Son. I'm pretty pleasantly surprised by this show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
Bitches be bitchy. It's their nature mang.
Is it really Oniisama e... levels of bitch, though? That seems impossible.
Second episode is thumbtacks in Harumi's shoes and rumours of her banging the coach. Bitches are bitching!

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
1 to 14 already? Dude, you are a robot.
I see floating leaves and windswept hair, but it needs a monochrome sepia tone and more wind streaks to qualify as true Dezaki.
I agree, that's not nearly windy enough.

Andrew J. said:
Steins;Gate 01

The OP appears to contain a nekomimi-meido. And yet monocle-GAF likes it.

"If a paranoid schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur accidentally discovered time travel, how badly would he fuck everything up" is a pretty good premise, I'll give you that much.

Feyris Nyannyan is actually an important part of the story. She's not there for decoration.

Since I've been busy playing games I have to marathon my way through a few shows now to get caught up before the new season starts. Sigh.

Geneijin

PdotMichael said:
3 weeks later and Fate/Zero is the new Blood-C
Don't you mean Steins Fate?

Reknoc said:
But an adaption should change to be more fitting to the media it's being adapted to. Therefor:

Could have and should have been fixed.
Pretty much. What worked in one medium doesn't mean it's appropriate in the other.

NewFresh

Instro said:
Idolm@ster 13
That was a bit disappointing to be honest. You could totally tell they were cheaping it up during most of the episode, but it was so weird that basically none of the song/dance numbers were animated till the final two. Even when they got to those last 2-3 numbers, while the animation was great, it just didn't last as long as I was really hoping. I was kind of expecting them to go all out in this episode and wow me, but it didn't really happen until the closing minutes.

Oh well, onto the 2nd half of the series.

That was a pretty disappointing episode. I didn't even bother posting impressions on it.

Geneijin

Cloudy said:
There really needs to be a separate general anime thread and others for individual seasons. This thread just moves too fast with the random stuff. Aaaaaargh!
This is a seasonal thread though unless you mean official threads?

DiGiKerot

EmmanuelMunoz said:
That was a pretty disappointing episode. I didn't even bother posting impressions on it.

I find it hard to be too disappointed in any episode which uses "i" as it's ED, but that's just me.

Now, the animation for next week looked really kind of janky in the preview. Hopefully the new OP will be good enough to make up for that...

PdotMichael said:

What, 14 * 20 = 280 minutes where I come from (or 320-ish minutes without OP/EDs), so either you're talking double-speed or old anime shows had shorter episodes than I remember...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom