• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regulus Tera said:
Regulus Tera's Bakemonogatari Endurance Run 01: I never knew you could say nothing with so many
IeSjw.gif

The art style is fun to look at when stuff is actually happening. Sadly, tons of still shots and nothing of relevance happening in any of them. The weird introduction makes a great effort in disconcerting the viewer, at least.

I give it a 1/5.

Bakemono is a pretty impressive example of much ado about nothing. The visual abstractism, the weird angles, the oblique and massively overwrought dialogue can't hide the fact that the fundamental premise is shockingly pedestrian, the characters are boring, and quite frankly nothing was happening.

Hunter X Hunter 1

I don't know anything about the original manga or anime, but I found this quite charming. It's simple, but Gon's naive optimism and spirit is infectious. His fellow Hunter wannabes seem like they could develop into enjoyable characters as well. I already like Leorio. Music is nice and fits the atmosphere well. I'll keep watching this, at least until it bogs down in filler.

mAcOdIn

Unknown Soldier said:
Bakemono is a pretty impressive example of much ado about nothing. The visual abstractism, the weird angles, the oblique and massively overwrought dialogue can't hide the fact that the fundamental premise is shockingly pedestrian, the characters are boring, and quite frankly nothing was happening.
So it was like the precursor to Penguin Drum?

Despite that, more happened in 7 episodes of Bakemonogatari than the first 7 of MPD.

But yeah, aside from that, most of the characters were boring as shit and even though shit happened it was kind of stupid shit.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Unknown Soldier said:
Telecining is used to convert framerate. When you change the native framerate, it's a conversion. Telecining done for broadcast television is clever because you can extract the original framerate, that's how you perform 3:2 pulldown to convert 1080i/60 back to 1080p/24 for instance. When movies are broadcast on TV it's possible to record the broadcast and convert it back to 24p. HD DVD was actually encoded this way on the disc with metadata flags set which allows proper restoration of 1080p/24 from 1080i/60. Blu-ray is encoded natively as 1080p/24.

In the case of OreImo, they should have used 1080i/60 in order for proper 3:2 pulldown to be done at the source. Then a person using a 24p setup could extract the proper framerate. Instead they telecined it to 1080p/30 which then breaks 3:2 pulldown. I'm not familiar with conversion from 30p back to 24p, but I believe that there is nothing in the Blu-ray spec which allows you to perform the 5:4 pulldown required to restore 24p from 30p. So it's stuck that way. The framerate is permanently converted. And it's wrong.
Blu-ray can handle hybrid content. And 1080i/30. Telecined streams on a Blu-ray can be restored back to their original progressive state.

Instro

Dantalian 12
That was a pretty entertaining finale, some nice animation work in there too. I'd be down for a 2nd season.

Jex

Regulus Tera said:
Regulus Tera's Bakemonogatari Endurance Run 01: I never knew you could say nothing with so many
IeSjw.gif

The art style is fun to look at when stuff is actually happening. Sadly, tons of still shots and nothing of relevance happening in any of them. The weird introduction makes a great effort in disconcerting the viewer, at least.

I give it a 1/5.
Oh but there is! It's all deep meta-otaku commentary/wankery.

Ratrat

Blood: The Last Vampire
Blood+
Blood: The Last Vampire Live-Action
Blood-C

so how does animegaf rate/rank the above?

Blood: The Last Vampire was a very nice demonstration for what was, at the time, very advanced CGI animation techniques. Despite it's age, the use of 3DCGI in that short film was much better integrated and meshed better with the 2D than most 3DCGI + 2D used today. It didn't have much of a story but didn't need one, it executed it's premise straightforwardly and entertainingly.

The franchise which grew up around the original short film is pretty bad, though.

ZnT2 - 7:

Building up to the finale, which will apparently be epic.
Tristain and Germania join forces and declare war upon Albion and launch an invasion of the flying island country. Meanwhile, Agnes searches for a record of the massacre which wiped out everyone in her hometown. The PV for the next episode implies that shit is about to get seriously real.

jokerandherewego.gif

Aigis said:
Blu-ray can handle hybrid content. And 1080i/30. Telecined streams on a Blu-ray can be restored back to their original progressive state.

Too bad I have no way of getting my hands on the OreImo BDs so I could test this myself.

mAcOdIn said:
So it was like the precursor to Penguin Drum?

Despite that, more happened in 7 episodes of Bakemonogatari than the first 7 of MPD.

But yeah, aside from that, most of the characters were boring as shit and even though shit happened it was kind of stupid shit.

Hurrdurr-Pinguindrum is very straightforward in direction and technique. It's nothing like Bakamono. Hurrdurr is pretty damn entertaining too, I don't give a shit about Ikuhara's dick and I can still enjoy it purely at the level of entertainment without trying to read a bunch of metaphorical nonsense into it.

Jex

cajunator said:
Endurance run for a great show like Bakemonagatari?
Are you serious? Watching that is not endurance it is joyous.
I know right, it's like they don't it's gloriousness.

Shouta

SRW OG: The Inspector - 16

Finally, SRX in the house and talk about presence. Obari really nailed it and he even got in a few of his signature touches with the transformation sequence. I laughed pretty hard at the fact they were fighting the Sol Gravilion and the pilots were a different colored Touga and Edge.

NewFresh

cajunator said:
Endurance run for a great show like Bakemonagatari?
Are you serious? Watching that is not endurance it is joyous.
I can't wait till I start my Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon endurance run. I just need to get some free time.

ZnT2 - 8:

As expected, shit has just gotten very real. Very, very real. This episode is a two-parter though it seems, the story of this episode evidently won't resolve until the next.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
icarus-daedelus said:
Garzey's Wing 1 DUB MOTHERFUCKER
-This might be the single greatest thing I've ever laid my eyes, nay, my ears on.
Of the shows you're watching instead of finishing Arjuna, I approve of this one.

WHY DO YOU STALL?

Jex

Lafiel said:
Fate/zero 1 - This was really boring...

I think Typemoon fans will be happy with it at least
, as it seems to be very faithful to the source material, but i don't think it will do much for non type-moon fans at all.
Apparently not.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
EmmanuelMunoz said:
I can't wait till I start my Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon endurance run. I just need to get some free time.
Endurance is only required for the first 10 eps, then it becomes purely fabulous.

Jex

Andrew J. said:
Steins;Gate 01
"If a paranoid schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur accidentally discovered time travel, how badly would he fuck everything up" is a pretty good premise, I'll give you that much.
Unlike most anime with an interesting premise, they actually develop this one more or less correctly!

Branduil

Marrshu said:
I honestly don't know what he was expecting. The first episode was going to be all talking, and it's not like they're going to waste a huge amount of the budget on it.
It sounds like they were expecting a first episode that had animation and wasn't all exposition. I don't think either of those are unreasonable expectations, and you can't excuse bad storytelling by blaming the source material.

Branduil

Marrshu said:
Didn't exactly make for the most interesting or well written prologue either in the original novel. You're talking about something that was a fault with the source material, not a byproduct of ufotable's animation.
When the source material is bad, you need to change it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
I mean that in the best way possible, of course. ^_^

And now I get your avatar.
Uh huh. And Ellie!!!!

Hey, you're lucky I even broke down and watched it!
It sort of felt like a pale imitation of K-On but with a shitload more uninteresting stock character types. Not sure what the fuss was about that first episode and classy would be like the last word I'd use to describe it.

But, if you guys say so I'll try episode 4 too.
People get excited over verite in animu.

Branduil

Hitokage said:
Purism is for chumps.
Well if the source material is good and it translates to the medium effectively there's no reason to change it. But there's also no reason not to change it if it's bad or it doesn't translate properly.

Jex

Unknown Soldier said:
Come to think of it, it's pointless to catch up on CLAMP-B since it's all censored anyways. I'll wait for uncensored versions since so behind at this point. They'll have all the uncensored released before the movie anyways.
When it's censored in such an amazing way it's well worth watching!

Hunter x Hunter 1

The opening and ending were terrible, specifically the ending, it sounded like something that could be in one of the low ranked DDR songs, ultimately meaning, it was catchy. Anyway, I dont think I will ever be able to find the main character too compelling, he is so young. Leorio is probably my favorite thus far, followed by Kurapika. If I may predict their respective power though, I bet Leorio will be the weakest, Kurapika seems to have some innate hidden potential. I hope the examination proceeds swiftly.

NewFresh

Hitokage said:
Endurance is only required for the first 10 eps, then it becomes purely fabulous.

It's high on my list of what I'm looking forward to this season. Not enough fabulous going around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom