• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Regulus Tera said:
Five seconds into the first episode of Bakemonogatari and there's the first panty shot. I can see why this was so popular.

That panty shot is actually vitally important to the plot. I'm not kidding.
I don't know if simple fanservice alone can make a show this popular.
zeroshiki said:
Senjougahara is the best part of the show.

Actually she's the only good thing about it.
Fllthy lies. Everything is great, apart from Snake girl.

survivor

Banned
Since the fall season begins in 11 days I decided to marathon Idolmaster.

I have no idea why I dropped the anime after 2 episodes. I mean whatever plot they have is pretty terrible, the way characters resolve conflicts s pretty stupid and at times I get very bored by what's happening, but I can't stop watching.

On another note was the new Squid Girl good? I'm planning on waiting for it to finish before I watch it, but I just wanted to know if GAF approved of the first episode.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Garzey's Wing 1 DUB MOTHERFUCKER
-This might be the single greatest thing I've ever laid my eyes, nay, my ears on.
Have you heard the DVD menu? It's pretty special.

C3 1 - This show is awful, I didn't like it much at all. I don't think I'll be watching any more of this. First, the characters are kind of annoying, and also extremely generic. Second, the 'humor' isn't very funny. I've never liked "people destroy things, isn't it hilarious" humor, and this episode has a lot of that. And third, the episode's also kind of boring. Yeah, it's not a good combination, and this is not a good show.

Bakatest 2 10 - Why did they make this show into a drama instead of a comedy? Why is it not funny at all anymore? Who thought this was actually a good idea? Well, whoever it was was quite wrong... I mean, this could have been worse (it's better than the "drama" elements of Mayo Chiki, for instance, probably), but it's also nowhere near as good as the first season of Bakatest. THis is a much better comedy show centering around the use of the summon creatures than it is a drama, or a generic harem show like it was for much of the first half of this season, for that matter.

So yeah, that even though for some weird reason it's turned into a drama this part of Bakatest 2 is still better than the first half of the show really shows how far the show has fallen since S1. Looking at this episode, and the previous two, on their own though, it's actually not the worst harem drama around. Minami's backstory episode was decent, even if she has learned good Japanese pretty fast now in the main series, and this episode, which continues from the episode before that if I remember it right, makes sense plotwise too. I kind of like the direction this takes the plot -- it starts forcing the MC to actually say some of his actual feelings. The MC is still impossibly stupid, though.
I mean, why in the world would he think that Minami would be mad at him for hearing what he said about her? Several times now we've seen him expect her to get mad at him when he says things like that, even though she always responds the opposite of that, and most anyone would be able to figure out what's going on... except for the MC, Akihisa the complete moron, obviously. The split between the obvious that everyone else can see, Akihisa's words explaining his feelings for her, and what he seems to think she'll do upon hearing them, is still going strong. Ugh.

Apart from that, though, this third episode in Bakatest 2's drama arc was okay, for what it is. The problem is, this show doesn't have the depth to make a drama arc make all that much sense, and the show is far, FAR better as a summon-creatures comedy like it was in S1 and the OVAs anyway, so I really don't know why they took S2 in this direction. Are they just following the LNs, and those take this same path? If so, maybe they should have considered just going off and doing their own thing... oh well, missed opportunity, particularly if the anime series ends here and doesn't continue further.

I will finish the last couple of episodes anyway, however.

mAcOdIn said:
Ok, I misread, you're still wrong about everything else though.
I thought that was you.

What exactly is her degree of obsession with him really? I mean, in the show the only time you even see them together is when she wakes him up, they eat and her birthday. Sure that might seem like an obsessive relationship if you were on terrible terms with your own siblings but honestly that's kind of a distant relationship, hardly obsessive.
Well, first, she beats him up every morning in order to wake him up. That isn't exactly normal. Second, we know she has trauma because of their parents' deaths from when he got sick and she completely lost it. And third, yes, that birthday episode. She seriously got depressed when he didn't get her a present, much more so than would be normal...

No, she clearly has strong feelings for him, of some kind. So far the show hasn't shown them to be romantic, so far only familial, but given the genre I can't be sure it'll stay that way, if the series continues / in the source material I mean.

scy

Unknown Soldier said:
People will do battle over Fate/Zero? Really?

Words will be shared, battles will be fought, and lives will be lost. So basically just like any other week.

ZnT2 - 9:

Damn, that shit was real. After seriously real shit like that, the goofy ED seems out of place. It's gotten really serious here at the end of season 2. I can see why people felt really let down after this season when the 3rd season regressed very badly to being mostly about fanservice, because this shit is building up to some kind of epic finale.

Cwarrior

Hunter x Hunter R1(rewatching the old one back to back)

And so it begins

-a lot more cheerful, colourful even the music is more whimsical, everything so happy compared to the original (no dark forest)
-the art is simple with a lot less detail like anime of today
-dame its moving so fast they skipped a lot
(kite,training,mito telling gon the truth about his father)
-Music is really good but the original ep1 had god tier music
-lol at ending song( its awful) here the Original
-OP is ok but weak compared to the Original

Looks department
hxh ova 1>hxh>hxh R >hxh ova 3> hxh ova 2

-kurpica looks a tiny bit less like a girl
-leorio is still cool
-mito looks a lot younger
-they have removed Kite cause he killed a bear and punche's kids
-no clue how they’re going to handle things like
gon loseing his hands

good episode doesn't matter to me if it's not like the original at least at this pace am getting closer to
ant arc.

Sophia

Branduil said:
When the source material is bad, you need to change it.

I'd leave that up to Nasu himself, honestly. Also prologue doesn't equal the rest of Fate/zero, which is fantastic. They did a pretty wise move speeding past the beginning in a single hour special, given what they were working with.

Erigu

[Hunter x Hunter]
Cwarrior said:
-I think they removed Kite cause he killed a bear and punche's kids
I'd expect the flashback to be inserted later. They probably just wanted to jump right into the action for episode 1.

trejo

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere 1

I had certain expectations going in but boy was I not ready. It's amazing, alright.

Articalys

DiGiKerot said:
It would appear that they've just announced an Index movie. Which is....some news, I guess.
While people may disagree on the quality of this particular series, anything that gets us closer to full adaptation of longer light novel series is a plus in my book. Maybe the trend will catch on.

zeroshiki

Articalys said:
While people may disagree on the quality of this particular series, anything that gets us closer to full adaptation of longer light novel series is a plus in my book. Maybe the trend will catch on.

But the series goes into a massively retarded direction.

1stStrike

Banned
Well, looks like I have some new shows to watch. Fate/Zero seems interesting after the first episode, and I can't wait for more Gundam Unicorn.

cajunator

Banned
Ok so I'm off today from work and I'm totally making it an anime day.
You guys got me hyped. Goddamn you. I should smack you.
I still love you though.

Branduil

Aigis said:
It's more rare nowadays yeah, but it still happens a bit.

Also that's not a bad conversion. The episode itself is telecined to 30fps and the OP is 30fps interlaced. It's the most proper way to do it, unless you want a stuttery OP with dropped frames.
Why would you want 24 fps material telecined to 30 fps unnecessarily? Of course if someone is buying Oreimo they probably don't care about quality anyway.

Hunter x Hunter R 1

This was the intro condensed. As Cwarrior said, they cut out a lot. What took the first series 3 episodes to do only took this 1. I don't know if moving at such a fast-pace is a good idea, but I guess it's fine if they don't plan on making it ongoing and ending after a year.

The tone is different. Not drastically, but it's noticeably more colorful and light-hearted. That is fine when things are just starting up, but I don't know how long they can keep it up with how dark the series gets both tone and content-wise unless they plan to censor the shit out of it including plot.

The absence of Kaito isn't as bad as I expected. By omitting some of the intro, it leaves room for a flashback later. In fact, he showed up in the hunter silhouette at the beginning, so that's not too bad. If they indeed make it to the Chimera Ant arc, they should be fine.

The ED is definitely giving me hope that there won't be as much censorship as I was expecting. Showing
Hisoka's insane faces and implying stuff about Killua's past
is definitely making me less worried. The rumors about the censorship may have been exaggerated but I guess we'll see.

Overall, good episode. Whether they butcher it or not, I plan on watching this to the end.

cajunator said:
I still love you though.

You should watch Simoun. I should warn you that it's a pretty slow burn though, all the way to the end. I will resume at episode 18 at some point, I've been delayed again and again by other shows I'm watching for the first time but I swear I'll finish it again at some point.

Jex

1stStrike said:
Well, looks like I have some new shows to watch. Fate/Zero seems interesting after the first episode, and I can't wait for more Gundam Unicorn.
But the new trailer has ugly CG :(

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:
I am watching Garzey's Wing DUB right now. It is so much better than Geass its not a little bit funny. Too bad it's so short

Garzey's Wing 1 DUB MOTHERFUCKER
-This might be the single greatest thing I've ever laid my eyes, nay, my ears on.

I must somehow make sense of this convoluted situation.

1stStrike

Banned
Jexhius said:
But the new trailer has ugly CG :(

I can deal with it as long as it's not as bad as the shit in Dragonauts. I tried watching that series, but as soon as the first dragon transformed I was just like - fuck this, I'm out.

Jex

1stStrike said:
I can deal with it as long as it's not as bad as the shit in Dragonauts. I tried watching that series, but as soon as the first dragon transformed I was just like - fuck this, I'm out.
Well, not quite. It's a lot more noticeable than in the previous episodes.

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:
Croissant 1
-It pushes a lot of my Aria-related buttons (ye olde European charm, SatoJun music selections, etc.) and I was ready to love it, but I didn't. The musics were easily the best thing about it, but not enough to make up for the middling art & uninteresting character types, the promotion of child labor, and the little Japonese girl's freakishly proportioned head and eyes. I should get back to Ristorante Paradiso because I remember it being much better firehawk12 panderpr0n.
rgedp.png

NewFresh

cajunator said:
I still love you though.

Too much anime and you might end up hating yourself.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Regulus Tera's Bakemonogatari Endurance Run 02: Well, that was a quick character arc.

I thought for a brief moment there that the show may indeed have something interesting to say, but I cannot help but feel indifferent at Senjougahara's story. Everything about her was started and ended in such a brief span of time. It is indeed a case of telling and not showing. Speaking of showing, thank God there's plenty of male gaze opportunities to get distracted at the fact that all the animation is janky as shit.

I'm probably being too cynical about this. Maybe I'm just looking at the show from the wrong viewpoint.
Jexhius said:
I don't know if simple fanservice alone can make a show this popular.

Fllthy lies. Everything is great, apart from Snake girl.
I trust in you, Jexh-
Jexhius said:
Oh but there is! It's all deep meta-otaku commentary/wankery.
:O

Branduil

Unknown Soldier said:
Telecining is used to convert framerate. When you change the native framerate, it's a conversion. Telecining done for broadcast television is clever because you can extract the original framerate, that's how you perform 3:2 pulldown to convert 1080i/60 back to 1080p/24 for instance. When movies are broadcast on TV it's possible to record the broadcast and convert it back to 24p. HD DVD was actually encoded this way on the disc with metadata flags set which allows proper restoration of 1080p/24 from 1080i/60. Blu-ray is encoded natively as 1080p/24.

In the case of OreImo, they should have used 1080i/60 in order for proper 3:2 pulldown to be done at the source. Then a person using a 24p setup could extract the proper framerate. Instead they telecined it to 1080p/30 which then breaks 3:2 pulldown. I'm not familiar with conversion from 30p back to 24p, but I believe that there is nothing in the Blu-ray spec which allows you to perform the 5:4 pulldown required to restore 24p from 30p. So it's stuck that way. The framerate is permanently converted. And it's wrong.
Well, that sounds pretty bad then. What do you mean by telecined to 1080p/30? They didn't just use added blended frames did they? Is it somehow not possible to have separate tracks with different framerates on bluray? At least it didn't happen to an actual good show.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Branduil said:
Well, that sounds pretty bad then. What do you mean by telecined to 1080p/30? They didn't just use added blended frames did they? Is it somehow not possible to have separate tracks with different framerates on bluray? At least it didn't happen to an actual good show.
They didn't use blended frames.

Jex

[Hunter X Hunter Reboot 1]

I can't really recommend this to anyone. Not because it's bad, but because it's very...'eh'.

If you are already familiar with the original series, you may be happy to see the show move past a lot of the introduction stuff and into main arc as quickly as possible. But if you've already seen the original I don't see this as being much better, in terms or art, animation, detail choreography etc. It has that cheap, modern, low-detail look that isn't very appealing. So this isn't a FMA: Brotherhood situation where at least it looks great.

If you're one of those people who has not seen the show before I really wouldn't recommend watching this version, unless you can't sit still for three minutes without having something happening.

This reboot compressed the events of the first three episodes into a single piece (with some changes and alterations, obviously). I don't really like that, at all. The pacing of the events, the character interactions and development, important and weighty choices...they are all gone or severely reduced. For example, in the original, Gon's mother
doesn't want him to go take the Hunter exam. There's some family tension that lasts two episodes - in this version it's a few lines. That's it. You can't make us care about all this in two lines, there's no time for anything to develop.
That really kills the whole scene for me, and robs it of any impact.

I really think the original shows pacing, which focused on letting events unfold naturally. The actual direction is very...unremarkable as well. Scenes exist and connect, but nothing interesting is being produced.

I would recommend checking out Hunter X Hunter Orginal 1-3 and see if you prefer that version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom