• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unknown Soldier said:
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon 1:

33erdl0.jpg
the main character

wut?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Fate/Zero Episode 01:
Looks like it's setting the stage this episode. Now that the
servants have been summoned
I guess it'll proceed to the Holy Grail War.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ace wo Nerae end:

sDKJD.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised by the series, probably mostly because of the Dezaki touch. At the very least, it's fascinating to see the shoujo archetype applied to achieving a goal other than hooking up with the prince. Suddenly, it's more progressive and not all about heterosexual impulses.

It was funny how much they had to use panning over stills and reuse animation in order to try to recreate sports scenes. I guess that's a function of cheap budgets.

Also, they chose a really odd place to end it... I'm sure it's just a case of catching up with the manga, but it ends rather abruptly and the twist alluded to in the movie and in Gunbuster doesn't really come up. Here's hoping I get a chance to watch the sequel(s) sometime soon.

I think I'm off to watch some more FNL, Slam Dunk, and to get my shoujo sports fix, Yawara.

Branduil

Aigis said:
They didn't use blended frames.
So is it just Unknown not knowing what he's talking about then? Because telecining 24fps material to less than 60 fields doesn't really make any sense.

trejo

Hunter x Hunter 1

As someone who is completely unfamiliar with the original series, I thought it was fine.

Now let's see how long I last.

flawfuls

firehawk12 said:
Ace wo Nerae end: I was pleasantly surprised by the series, probably mostly because of the Dezaki touch. At the very least, it's fascinating to see the shoujo archetype applied to achieving a goal other than hooking up with the prince. Suddenly, it's more progressive and not all about heterosexual impulses.

It was funny how much they had to use panning over stills and reuse animation in order to try to recreate sports scenes. I guess that's a function of cheap budgets.

Also, they chose a really odd place to end it... I'm sure it's just a case of catching up with the manga, but it ends rather abruptly and the twist alluded to in the movie and in Gunbuster doesn't really come up. Here's hoping I get a chance to watch the sequel(s) sometime soon.

I think I'm off to watch some more FNL, Slam Dunk, and to get my shoujo sports fix, Yawara.

If you want FNL in animu/mango form then you should try REAL it has some obvious parallels. Also Yawara technically isn't shoujo.

Steroyd

Jexhius said:
I would recommend checking out Hunter X Hunter Orginal 1-3 and see if you prefer that version.

...DAMN

Looks like I'm going to have to bounce between the original and the reboot then, I would have started watching HxH ages ago if this reboot never got announced. :<

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Nichijou 26: My only disappointment is that the professors didn't get together. I guess that and Sakamoto's resolution will go on a future special (unless KyoAni cancels everything Nichijou-related due to low sales).

Nichijou fin: A heartfelt tale of friendship and love. I cannot complain. It may not have always been funny, but it was always honest and never manipulative. Even with the brief yaoi/yuri moments, I wouldn't doubt recommending this show to people not familiar with the medium. Plust the animation was always gorgeous to look at, and the soundtrack accompanied the humor without detracting from it despite some of the bombast. Stuff like this is what should truly save animu. 9/10

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
flawfuls said:
If you want FNL in animu/mango form then you should try REAL it has some obvious parallels. Also Yawara technically isn't shoujo.
I was telling him about that on IRC and how it sounds like so much like a certain plot-line in S1 of FNL.:lol

1stStrike

Banned
On a random note, I just finished watching Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san.

lol what a fucking crazy anime. Shit wasn't just hilarious, but bat shit insane. I loved it.

NewFresh

Regulus Tera said:
Nichijou fin: A heartfelt tale of friendship and love. I cannot complain. It may not have always been funny, but it was always honest and never manipulative. Even with the brief yaoi/yuri moments, I wouldn't doubt recommending this show to people not familiar with the medium. Plust the animation was always gorgeous to look at, and the soundtrack accompanied the humor without detracting from it despite some of the bombast. Stuff like this is what should truly save animu. 9/10

slowclap.gif

Branduil said:
So is it just Unknown not knowing what he's talking about then? Because telecining 24fps material to less than 60 fields doesn't really make any sense.

Telecining is a conversion process. That's all it is. Any framerate can be converted to any framerate, in the case of 24p to 30p, the easiest way to do it is to insert 1 duplicate frame every 4 frames. This would create some pretty ungodly judder but it would work. I don't know if this is what they did with OreImo, but you don't need to use blended frames for a simple framerate conversion like that. Of course if they were really lazy and hated anime fans they would simply take the 60i broadcast masters, deinterlace them, and call that 30p and put them on Blu-ray. That would be fun, fun, fun.

It's common to convert from 24fps to 60hz just because broadcast TV is 60hz. You can convert anything to just about anything else you want, assuming you're willing to deal with the framerate instability you created.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
flawfuls said:
Hrm. Is REAL less jokey than Slam Dunk appears to be?

And I just assumed Yawara would be a sports shoujo based on the premise. What is it like then?

Branduil

Unknown Soldier said:
Telecining is a conversion process. That's all it is. Any framerate can be converted to any framerate, in the case of 24p to 30p, the easiest way to do it is to insert 1 duplicate frame every 4 frames. This would create some pretty ungodly judder but it would work. I don't know if this is what they did with OreImo, but you don't need to use blended frames for a simple framerate conversion like that. Of course if they were really lazy and hated anime fans they would simply take the 60i broadcast masters, deinterlace them, and call that 30p and put them on Blu-ray. That would be fun, fun, fun.

It's common to convert from 24fps to 60hz just because broadcast TV is 60hz. You can convert anything to just about anything else you want, assuming you're willing to deal with the framerate instability you created.
You can convert to just about anything, but converting to less than 60 fields for NTSC doesn't make any sense.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Ace wo Nerae end:
I was pleasantly surprised by the series, probably mostly because of the Dezaki touch. At the very least, it's fascinating to see the shoujo archetype applied to achieving a goal other than hooking up with the prince. Suddenly, it's more progressive and not all about heterosexual impulses.

So Firehawk has watched a Dezaki show I haven't and is also marathoning sports and shounen series?

What the hell is GOING ON?

Jex

1stStrike said:
On a random note, I just finished watching Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san.

lol what a fucking crazy anime. Shit wasn't just hilarious, but bat shit insane. I loved it.
Well, it's certainly the best anime comedy of the year, barring Blood-C.

trejo

Jexhius said:
Well, it's certainly the best anime comedy of the year, barring Blood-C.
With the difference that in Azazel-san's case it was intentional whereas in Blood-C it was intentional.

flawfuls

firehawk12 said:
Hrm. Is REAL less jokey than Slam Dunk appears to be?

And I just assumed Yawara would be a sports shoujo based on the premise. What is it like then?

Yes REAL is very dramatic. Totally different than what I read of Slam Dunk.

Seinen. The plot is very shoujo though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
So Firehawk has watched a Dezaki show I haven't and is also marathoning sports and shounen series?

What the hell is GOING ON?
PANTHERS PRIDE. IN TAYLOR WE TRUST. etc.

Sports shows have taught me that all coaches are awesome.

Erigu said:
You could say that.
Well, I mean, if it's FNL I expect a deconstruction of Japanese social structures from the framework of Basketball!

flawfuls said:
Yes REAL is very dramatic. Totally different than what I read of Slam Dunk.
Well, manga is sort of way back on the pile, but maybe I'll get to it sometime.
Seinen. The plot is very shoujo though.
Huh, seinen? I'm not sure what to make of that. Are there any other sports shoujos out there? The only ones that come to mind are Crimson Hero and Princess Nine.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
firehawk12 said:
Huh, seinen? I'm not sure what to make of that. Are there any other sports shoujos out there? The only ones that come to mind are Crimson Hero and Princess Nine.
Yawara.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hitokage said:
flawfuls says it's seinen!

Jexhius said:
It sounds like you've learned a lot!
Actually, it turns out when you're not trying to simply tell a sentimental piece of fluff, sports can be an interesting metaphor for societal ills. Or class hierarchy between competitive women. One or the other.

Erigu

firehawk12 said:
Well, I mean, if it's FNL I expect a deconstruction of Japanese social structures from the framework of Basketball!
Put simply: it's about
wheelchair
basketball. So you can definitely expect another kind of tone.

Huh, seinen?
Definitely.

Feep

Banned
Everyone should watch Squid Girl, because I'm the male lead in the dubbed version.

I mean, because it's good.

flawfuls

firehawk12 said:

I don't know of any beyond Crimson hero, Aim for the Ace and random Adachi stuff. It seems like the kind of things that would be often end up as seinen like Yawara, Happy and Shoujo Fight.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
flawfuls said:
I don't know of any beyond Crimson hero, Aim for the Ace and random Adachi stuff. It seems like the kind of things that would be often end up as seinen like Yawara, Happy and Shoujo Fight.

The story is about a teenage heroine who embarks on a career as a professional tennis player to repay an enormous debt incurred by her brother to Yakuza loan sharks, with the threat that if she fails, they will force her into a life of prostitution at a soapland.
Jesus! Haha.

Erigu said:
I've only read the first few volumes, but it was all about the characters themselves, not the matches.
Well, yeah, I would imagine. If it were an anime, I'd probably bump it to the top of my list. Too bad.

Erigu

firehawk12 said:
Well, yeah, I would imagine.
What I meant is that I haven't seen Murderball, but the Wikipedia article says it's about the rivalry / competition between two teams, whereas what I've read of Real (I honestly don't remember how many volumes that was) didn't even go there. It was a character study, and sometimes, some characters would be seen training. I imagine the series introduces rival teams later on, but I haven't reached that point.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Erigu said:
What I meant is that I haven't seen Murderball, but the Wikipedia article says it's about the rivalry / competition between two teams, whereas what I've read of Real (I honestly don't remember how many volumes that was) didn't even go there. It was a character study, and sometimes, some characters would be seen training. I imagine the series introduces rival teams later on, but I haven't reached that point.
Well, Murderball is a documentary, so most of the focus is on the players leading up to the matches. It's mostly about what it is like to be paraplegic.

It's sort of like how Hoop Dreams is more about the failure of American urban society than it is about Basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom