• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Lesiroth said:
f0rj8x.png

I'm so sorry ;_;
Sadamoto girl InfiniteNine is best InfiniteNine.

trejo

Xelinis said:
What's the latest word on Despera anyway? Last bit of news I heard was that it was on hold due to Ryutaro Nakamura's health issues, but that was a while ago.
You may want to sit down.

Branduil

Hitokage said:
Unlike the false idol Star Driver, I expect Guilty Crown to deliver in the tradition of fine shows like Garzey's Wing.
It would be pretty miraculous if it actually ended up at that level of amazing.

Branduil

Unknown Soldier said:
Persona 4 will be the stealth show of the Fall and all the haters will cry into their monocles.

Believe.
I don't know of any monocle-wearers who would cry if a show was actually good. I suppose a good show in this season might be enough to warrant tears of joy.

Dresden

Blue Exorcist 19

Man, I didn't expect to enjoy this so much. Basically a "filler" episode about throwing a birthday party, but it was so fun, and so cute, that I was happy just watching it.

I like the direction they've taken in the anime as well, over the manga - I was worried way back in Spring that they wouldn't have enough material for a two-cour show, but that turned out to be a blessing instead.

Instro

Branduil said:
Yeah that picture is still pretty cool. Let's just stare at it and pretend we're watching Despera.
Imagine!

Despera 1

Wow what a great start to this much hyped show. Nakamura+Konaka+Abe have done it again!

Branduil

Instro said:
Imagine!

Despera 1

Wow what a great start to this much hyped show. Nakamura+Konaka+Abe have done it again!
My favorite part was when it saved anime. Also, the scene with the noodle was amazing.

Instro

Yeah I really couldn't believe the part where
that one thing happened
. Totally unexpected. Truly some top quality writing.

Branduil

trejo said:
I thought it was kinda gross, actually. I mean, who does that?
Well she does, obviously. I though it made sense in context, especially after they explained how McGuffinite works.

Dresden

Blue Exorcist - 20

This was a good episode. Self-contained enough to provide a beginning and an end, yet leaves enough to lead into the next episode and no doubt the final arc of the story. Nice action, and a rather triumphant moment near the end.

I'm really liking this.

Dantalian no Shoka eps 7 to 9 - So I almost caught up with the show today by watching three episodes one after another. I'd kept meaning to catch up, but just hadn't, until now, despite how much I like the show. Well, I'm close to it now, and it was well worth it because this is definitely a pretty good show. Of these three, ep. 7 is the weakest by far, but 8 and 9 were both quite good, fun episodes I really enjoyed.

Ep. 7 - Most of this episode was average and moderately interesting, but nothing special or great. That is, weak for this show, but fine. The episode's about a perfume company and, of course, a book. However, I definitely disliked part of the ending...
As usual the trouble is because of one of the books. This time, it's a perfume-maker woman. She's a researcher essentially, who makes the perfumes that her uncle's company then sells. She's become fairly obsessively anti-Capitalist though, apparently, because she now hates the idea of actually doing things for money... now, not wanting to do the illegal, unethical things her Uncle had gotten into in the name of money, that is selling drug-perfume to a criminal gang,
but her reaction at the end is definitely less than rational.

Um, that is, in the episode the criminals attack the perfume company, in order to steal the formula so only they can make the drug. They kill the guards and her uncle. Using the powers of her book, she kills the ones there, then goes to their place and kills everyone there too. Then our two heroes find her, and she kills herself, saying that it was all her fault because she gave her uncle the formula for the weakened version that was to be sold legally as a perfume, even though she didn't really want it to be publicly available, because it'd be profitable... um, okay, I get why you're quite distressed, but suicide? Oh come on, that was really stupid. And then that "and the burning mansion made everyone in town feel happy just by accident" ending was, if possible, even worse.
Oh well, it was okay, but that ending was just kind of dumb.

Ep. 8 - This episode brings back the amusing blonde woman, and, in the second half, the would-be lover guy too, both in one episode! And it's another two-part episode, two. Yes, this will be good... and indeed it is. This episode is quite different from the first two-part episode in some ways, but what it does share with it is its high quality. This episode is both fun and interesting. In part one, Camilla is foolish, but gets away with it. She wants to give Dalian some presents, that's all, what could go wrong? :) (Her catching Dalian in a lie when she was looking at the catalog was amusing... :) ) Fun episode.
I like them tracking down her trades. :) But, um, so they just leave the book of equivalence with that unpleasantly obsessive collector guy at the end, then? That can't possibly go wrong, especially with how up to that point Dalian had been emphasizing exactly how many ways it could... yeah. Odd decision there. Oh well...

In part two, that would-be lover guy returns, and yes, he's still a fool. This time he got himself engaged, but now realizes that things aren't working out so well...
she's extremely paranoid-jealous, and every time she sees him speaking to any other woman she thinks he's cheating on her, even though he apparently isn't. And when you toss in that they are tided by a pair of the books, things go wrong for him quite quickly... heh.
I'd say poor guy, but it is his own fault more than anyone else's... :)
The solution for how to get her to go away, namely actually letting the book kill him (to break their betrothal) and then resurrecting him with a book that can do that, is novel too. Apparently being dead for a while didn't teach him any lessons though... not that I'd have expected it. And how he's hitting on Camilla, too? Huh, I wonder if that'll go anywhere.

Ep. 9 - This episode was quite unique and original. The episode uses a different art style from the rest of the series, and has a screen filter too, to get across the different nature of the episode. In addition to being unique, it's also great; indeed, I'd have to rank this as among my favorite episodes of the series. (mild spoilers in this part)
This is mostly for the ending, which reveals the truth of the episode, and what was actually going on. While I had an idea that something like that might be going on, I didn't guess the complete story behind the episode. I don't know if I can think of anything else quite like this episode, really it was kind of brilliant in concept... :)
The characters in this episode are pretty good too, most notably the main girl and her grandmother.
Will our heroes Dalian and Huey manage to save the people of this medieval town from the giant bugs destroying their world? What weapons can stop them? Poor people of the town, against those bugs they didn't have a chance... at least the girl tries, though!

To spoil the ending,
essentially the entire episode didn't happen. The episode is set in Dalian's imagination, as she pretends in her thoughts that her and Huey are going into the world to save it from the bugs, which are in fact bookworms that have infested Huey's library and are literally eating away the books, as you see in the main story in the episode. It's such a clever concept, and really boosts up the episode in my opinion. The episode on its own is good, sure, with a decent story and different art design (because it's reflecting the art in the book she's imagining herself in, of course), but it's that ending twist that really makes this episode great. :)

So yeah, overall, definitely good stuff.

Oh, and apparently the Mystical Library is sealed in a gourd, or vessel, or something, literally? The episodes always say that line "sealed in the gourd" when he reaches into her chest to pull out a book from the Library, but I didn't understand the meaning of the line... so where is the Library? I mean, I think Dalian's just an access point, not the Library itself, right? So I guess it's somewhere else, if it is indeed in the world somewhere that is.

MotionBlue said:
Two episodes in one really.
First is the "Book of Equivalence" which allowed you to barter for items based upon their owners desire for the item. Camilla runs around town trading items, slowly towards more precious items... al just for a rare teddy bear for Dantalian. They played up the dangers of the book, only to defuse it through Camila's foolishness.

Second episode is "Book of Relationship", where Armand the womanizer makes his return. Overall a comedic episode. Although I wish they'd get towards the overarching plot, and stop this monster of the week buisness.
Yeah, ep. 8 was another quite good episode. It's too bad Camilla's only shown up in two episodes so far... oh well, I guess the idea is to keep her episodes for some lighter interludes between the more normal, depressing episodes like ep. 7. On that note though, ep. 9 was a nice surprise, quite a different theme there from anything else in the series. :)

Articalys said:
I don't mind episodic shows, but you have to make me care about the world and the characters first. Mushishi, for example, did that very well, this show does not.
I don't even know if there is an overarching plot. Besides, they've only got five episodes left; going to have to chalk this one up to just another failed light novel adaptation.
I just don't get this argument, I think the show has done plenty well at getting me to care about the characters. They have solid characterization. Yes, it's episodic, but that's the whole idea. Making a show episodic is not a problem, and an episodic show can be just as good as one telling a continuing story... I think it works fine as it is.

Also, there are a few bits of continuing story, I would say. Thanks to the fact that it is an adaptation you're probably right about questioning how much of an ending there will be, but there's a little bit I think...
well, there is about Huey's past anyway. There's no sign of a main villain or something like that, but in a show like this I think it works fine as it is, and I do wonder about the little bits that show bits of his past time visiting inside the Library.

MotionBlue said:
Dantalian no Shoka 09

Unique animation, reminded me of old Ghibli films. Topped off this week of exceptional episodes.
This was about ep. 9 I think? Yeah, great episode, certainly.

Neo C.

Gonna watch Ika Musume. And one of the fan service anime, whichever is the best in this regard.

It looks like now it's the time for going back to my backlog.

Go_Ly_Dow

Will watch:

-Personaaaaaaaaa 4
-Guilty Crown (for the lulz)

Keeping my eyes on:

-HunterXHunter
-Chiyayafuru
-Fate/Zero (haven't seen the previous anime, but it has Urobuchi's name on it)
-Kimi to Boku
-Last Exile (the art looks nice)

...and I shall keep my ears open about the other shows.

So tell me GAF...am I fool for keeping my eyes on the show I've listed? I know nothing about most of them!

Blood-C 11

This is the only type of exposition I love. Still having a blast with the speculation and this episode was a gold-mine in terms of stuff to analyze.

What the hell is going on with this town and just what kind of production is it? Maybe we're looking at a sort of Battle Royale scenario in some kind of film that is secondarily snuff and primarily a means to awaken Saya's memories. Whether they be criminals or someone with an immoral desire, they'll qualify for the cast and are thus expendable.

Can't wait to see how everything comes together. The puzzle is almost complete.

Jex

Nonoriri said:
If you want good fight scenes, watch Yozakura Quartet OVA 3 like the cool kids are.
I can't disagree with this. It's going to look really cool, with smoothly animated totally bizarre action sequences and nothing will make any sense.

In other words, the perfect OVA.

Branduil

cosmicblizzard said:
Blood-C 11

This is the only type of exposition I love. Still having a blast with the speculation and this episode was a gold-mine in terms of stuff to analyze.

What the hell is going on with this town and just what kind of production is it? Maybe we're looking at a sort of Battle Royale scenario in some kind of film that is secondarily snuff and primarily a means to awaken Saya's memories. Whether they be criminals or someone with an immoral desire, they'll qualify for the cast and are thus expendable.

I don't think it's going to be anything like that. It's obvious that the plot is focused on one character.

trejo

Steins;Gate 21-22

Those last lines after the credits were hysterical.

I don't wanna watch anymore. This is the perfect ending and anything they could come up with for the last two eps can only disappoint me, I just know it.

Fucking LOL.

Branduil said:
I don't think it's going to be anything like that. It's obvious that the plot is focused on one character.

Yeah I know, I'm just speculating about possible back stories even though I know few will be revealed.

cosmicblizzard said:
Blood-C 11

Even a Battle Royale-like scenario wouldn't explain why the "extras" just stand around waiting to be killed when monsters attack instead of trying to run away, though.

Dresden

Blue Exorcist - 21

This is really good.

It's fucking excellent. Ridiculous and melodramatic in a way, I suppose, yet it all works out. I love how they're driving towards an original ending, just dig everything about what they're doing.

I doubt anyone cares since I think I'm the only one that reads it here, but Code:Breaker is getting an anime. Basically about a bunch of assholes with super powers that kill "evil" people. Main character is pretty much Light Yagami if he could materialize flames rather than kill people with a magic notebook.

weeaboo

Fall season FINALLY :D

Will watch
Fate/Zero
Guilty Slut
Persona 4
Last Exile: Fam, The Silver Wing
Ben-To
Invasion?! Squid Girl

Will try
Un-go
Chihayafuru
Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere
Phi Brain: God’s Puzzle
Mobile Suit Gundam Age

Not sure if want (probably not)
Mirai Nikki
Hunter x Hunter
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Tamayura
C³ - Cube x Cursed x Curious

lolno
Maken-Ki
Urusai no Shana III
Mashiro-iro Symphony
Working’!!
Kimi to Boku

Also PENGUINDRUM THURSDAYS

Jex

trejo said:
I remember I used to enjoy a lot more shows before coming here and becoming the cynical and jaded bastard that I am today.

Thank you, animegaf.
Yeah but you enjoyed inferior, shitty anime. The enjoyment you can get from such terrible works is nothing compared to the deep, lasting and satisfying pleasure that you can experience when watching a proper show like Mononoke.

Branduil

Miri said:
interactive-manga-04-620x349-560x315.jpg

Attraction

So interesting. Attraction is an interactive Studio4c short directed by Koji Morimoto, and accompanied by a super fabulous Danger composed OST.

It's not long at all, and can be set to play in japanese with english subtitles. I won't say anymore than I already have as it easily spoiled.

You can, and everyone should, view it here:

http://attraction-lemanga.fr/

Super cool stuff.
Well, that was a thing. I'm not sure I'd call it good. Someone needs to tone down the strobe light effects. Also, the spoiler is that
it's paid anti-smoking propaganda.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Yeah but you enjoyed inferior, shitty anime. The enjoyment you can get from such terrible works is nothing compared to the deep, lasting and satisfying pleasure that you can experience when watching a proper show like Mononoke.
And then when you are truly ready you can immerse yourself in the wisdoms of Arjuna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom