• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

M_Night said:
-Fate/Zero (haven't seen the previous anime, but it has Urobuchi's name on it)

You're in for a treat then. It's one of Urobuchi's better works. And no Studio DEEEEEEN to make awkward pacing issues and off model shots.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Marrshu said:
You're in for a treat then. It's one of Urobuchi's better works. And no Studio DEEEEEEN to make awkward pacing issues and off model shots.
Now you have ufotable to make poorly composited tacky digital effect eyerape. Yay! You won't even be able to see the off model shots under all that motion blur and super bright bloom!

Jex

Dresden said:
Blue Exorcist - 20

This was a good episode. Self-contained enough to provide a beginning and an end, yet leaves enough to lead into the next episode and no doubt the final arc of the story. Nice action, and a rather triumphant moment near the end.

I'm really liking this.
Dresden said:
Blue Exorcist - 21

This is really good.

It's fucking excellent. Ridiculous and melodramatic in a way, I suppose, yet it all works out. I love how they're driving towards an original ending, just dig everything about what they're doing.
So there's a Blue Exorcist hype train worth riding?

Steroyd

A Huge Battleship said:
Will watch P4, Mirai Nikki and Boku wa Tomodachi regardless of how shitty they are.

Also these last posts are depressing as hell.

Whenever you feel like killing yourself please take some happy pills.

Defuser

Man,to think the AIC build team that made ore imo is making boku no tomodachi ga sukunai and the other AIC team that made of that ero stuff is making persona 4 iirc.

Branduil

Defuser said:
Man,to think the AIC build team that made ore imo is making boku no tomodachi ga sukunai and the other AIC team that made of that ero stuff is making persona 4 iirc.
I don't see what's unusually noteworthy about mediocre anime teams continuing to make mediocre anime.

but Persona 4 ist not mediocre, so the AIC ero stuff team ist great?

And for Chie, we need a team with great ero stuff know-how

4atrasf021.jpg

Jex

Branduil said:
I don't see what's unusually noteworthy about mediocre anime teams continuing to make mediocre anime.
Hey AIC did Wandering Son and damn was it shiny.

Jex

Branduil said:
Shiny things are shiny.
They studio has also been involved in some classics, like Megazone 23, but their output in the last decade has been completely unmentionable, for the most part.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
They studio has also been involved in some classics, like Megazone 23, but their output in the last decade has been completely unmentionable, for the most part.
At least they're not Manglobe. Yet.

Steroyd

Amagami SS - Stalker girl episode

That was pure stupid shit, trying to tie all the arcs together with a "what-if-stalker-girl-intervened" nonsense and Mr Harem forgives the girl that was the
root cause for his christmas trauma
so easily.

Should have been 24 episodes, now I have 1 more episode + 2 shorts, oh what joys will they bring I wonder.

Go_Ly_Dow

Marrshu said:
After Uminneko I decided to cut off my ties with DEEN. I don't want to crawl back!

Edit: I saw the word DEEN and panicked. Thank god it isn't them behind it!

(mobile posting + lack of glasses fail)

Jex

M_Night said:
After Uminneko I decided to cut off my ties with DEEN. I don't want to crawl back!

Edit: I saw the word DEEN and panicked. Thank god it isn't them behind it!

(mobile posting + lack of glasses fail)
Hey, DEEN have worked on some great stuff!

Dresden

Blue Exorcist 19~23

Ditching the manga's story and going for an original ending was the best decision to make, by far. Glad they didn't decide to stretch this out for another year. I did skip like sixteen episodes in the middle. It's all very ridiculous, but at the same time, I bought into the story, I like the characters, and I'm invested in seeing how it ends now. Enjoyable stuff.

Episode 23 did have the ugliest cg I've seen in a long time, though.
Hell is like a giant bean soup.

Swag

Will be watching Mirrai Nikki, as well as all the stuff from last two seasons that I missed.

I missed this thread

Jintor

Yuru Yuri 11 - I don't understand how this show somehow managed to connect to me on an emotional level. What is this

Sophia

Jexhius said:
I mean, actually good anime shows and movies.

I was actually kinda being serious about the movie. It's only flaw is that it's about 50 minutes too short. =p

Come to think of it, if they made an extended version of the move I'd totally be all over that. I'm still baffled as to how the movie adaptation of Haruhi had nearly 60 minutes of more screentime, despite being a much shorter novel.

Salazar

Welcome to the NHK Ep 12.

Sato is coming across as markedly more socially well-adjusted than the Honey and Clover folks.

Branduil

The best thing they've done in recent years was Higurashi, and that's a badly-animated show with a cool story and nice music from Kenji Kawai, so it's hard to say how much credit to give them for that.

Jex

Branduil said:
The best thing they've done in recent years was Higurashi, and that's a badly-animated show with a cool story and nice music from Kenji Kawai, so it's hard to say how much credit to give them for that.
M_Night said:
Post Umineko DEEN?
Okay, so maybe I was thinking about the 80's and early 90's. But still, former glories and all that.

Steroyd

Manyuu Hugeboobs - 08

Such a shame on what this show emphasises on, because if it weren't for that this would be a competant ninja show that didn't feel trashy to watch.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Mawaru penguindrum 11 - Pretty good episode, although in some ways i felt it showed a weakness in the "ringo" arc, the whole
frog thing
felt a tad contrived and almost made all the drama in the past few episodes pointless, but I loved the rest of the episode, and while the whole ending would come off as pretty silly in any other show, i felt that particular plot device worked here, because it fit well with the overall themes the series has been expressing since episode 1.

The Idolm@ster 12 - Not as good as last week; but still a pretty entertaining episode, I'm somewhat disappointed it didn't go the LOL DRAMA route, but i enjoyed the execution well enough either way, that said the whole situation of the episode was rather creepy in a sense, and it also somewhat reminded me of a persona 3/4 social link, especially the resolution lulz.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Unknown Soldier said:
Persona 4 will be the stealth show of the Fall and all the haters will cry into their INVESTIGATION TEAM GLASSES.

Believe.
Fixed that for you.
Unknown Soldier said:
I wonder if they will make it to the Legendary Manga Ending.
I don't think we can be friends anymore.
GaimeGuy said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Fc2H7jvQM

I think of the music when I hear the name :>
That's not even the best version of Pollyanna.
PdotMichael said:
but Persona 4 ist not mediocre, so the AIC ero stuff team ist great?

And for Chie, we need a team with great ero stuff know-how

http://asame3.web.infoseek.co.jp/4atrasf021.jpg
Now this would be an anime-saving scenario.

Jex

Lafiel said:
Mawaru penguindrum 11 - Pretty good episode, although in some ways i felt it showed a weakness in the "ringo" arc, the whole
frog thing
felt a tad contrived and almost made all the drama in the past few episodes pointless, but I loved the rest of the episode, and while the whole ending would come off as pretty silly in any other show, i felt that particular plot device worked here, because it fit well with the overall themes the series has been expressing since episode 1
With regards to the spoiler-protected, I actually think that's quite an interesting development. I wouldn't say it's contrived - more like it's really strange. It seems to imply that in the world of Penguin Drum
both magic and miracles are real, to some extent. I mean, how else do you explain it? Ringo actually creates a ridiculous love potion that actually works. Perhaps science has the answer, and it's just a naturally created by-product of a certain frog? Either way the rules of the world of the show are so flexible as to allow a variety of 'unbelievable things' to happen - such as when Kanba got dragged miles with his face to the ground.

These particular moments come dangerously close to field known as 'magical realism', but as we have magic invisible penguins running amok perhaps it's leaning more towards 'magical' than 'realism'. The fact that it's unexplained just makes it appeal like a mysterious X to get the plot moving in a certain direction.

Branduil

Lafiel said:
frog thing
felt a tad contrived and almost made all the drama in the past few episodes pointless, but I loved the rest of the episode, and while the whole ending would come off as pretty silly in any other show, i felt that particular plot device worked here, because it fit well with the overall themes the series has been expressing since episode 1.
I didn't particularly care for the
frog thing. For one thing they had already done it, so it nearly felt like a retread. And it also almost felt too easy, for that to work so effortlessly after all she had gone though.
Still, it did get the story and characters moving in a new direction.

-Minsc-

So far this season I'll be checking out:

GinTama'
Sket Dance
Naruto
Bleach

Might give that Last Exile sequel a try.

NewFresh

Instro said:
Imagine!

Despera 1

Wow what a great start to this much hyped show. Nakamura+Konaka+Abe have done it again!
I still can't believe that
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
, especially by the end.
trejo said:
I've watched it three times now and I still can't figure it out!

Close the DS and then open it again to copy the stamp onto the map.

Jex

Salazar said:
Welcome to the NHK Ep 12.

Sato is coming across as markedly more socially well-adjusted than the Honey and Clover folks.
Owch, that's quite a low blow there. What do you have against Hagu and band of manly protectors?

NewFresh

Jexhius said:
With regards to the spoiler-protected, I actually think that's quite an interesting development. I wouldn't say it's contrived - more like it's really strange. It seems to imply that in the world of Penguin Drum
both magic and miracles are real, to some extent. I mean, how else do you explain it? Ringo actually creates a ridiculous love potion that actually works. Perhaps science has the answer, and it's just a naturally created by-product of a certain frog? Either way the rules of the world of the show are so flexible as to allow a variety of 'unbelievable things' to happen - such as when Kanba got dragged miles with his face to the ground.

These particular moments come dangerously close to field known as 'magical realism', but as we have magic invisible penguins running amok perhaps it's leaning more towards 'magical' than 'realism'. The fact that it's unexplained just makes it appeal like a mysterious X to get the plot moving in a certain direction.

I think that the problem that most people, including me, had with the frog was that it seemed to be a repetition of a already failed attempt. It wasn't identical to the first frog experiment, but the episode (07) seemed to indicate at the end of it that Ringo was done with that stuff; therefore she stormed off with the intent of raping Tabuki that night.

cajunator

Banned
I will no doubt find enjoyment here, especially from Fate/Zero and Last Exile.
Also in it for the Denpa Onna art styled show, and Guilty Crown and Douchebag and his minions.
It shall be fun.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Only show I know I'm going to watch so far is Ika Musume series 2.
May check out some others depending on impressions.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Zeouterlimits said:
Penguindrum - 10

Did the art team have the week off or were the faces some elaborate reference I'm not getting?

Nope. You just watched the solo efforts of a man who is incapable of drawing a circle.

NewFresh

Zeouterlimits said:
Penguindrum - 10

Did the art team have the week off or were the faces some elaborate reference I'm not getting?

Their faces represent the ever changing world that we live in.

Zeouterlimits said:
Penguindrum - 10

It was a best korea production

but
what is with Double-H, maybe they play a important role for the main story soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom