• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.

Branduil

Mavs have really upped their defense in this quarter.

so guys, how do you think the offense will change when dirk gets back?

Well just take this offense and replace Elton Brand with the best offensive seven-footer in the league.

They'll probably get a little bit better.

C4Lukins

You've got to be fucking kidding me...

What are you confused about? We were not a dynamite offensive team when we won the championship. We did not get a lot of those 20 plus point wins like we did with Nelson. This is more fun for me. Over the course of four games.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
What games were you watching?

The games where the Mavs continuously came down from double-digit deficits and won it with abnormal three-point shooting? They averaged 10 three-pointers MADE during the first 4 games versus Portland, and something stupid like 15 three-pointers made versus the Lakers? The ones where they dropped 122 on the Lakers, 121 on the Thunder, 112 on the Thunder, and 112 on the Heat? The games where they had a Top 8 offensive rating in the league? That team? Yeah. I think so.

Branduil

Mavs 31-12 in the fourth quarter, wow.

Lillard's inexperience showing, I guess. Portland's offense went out of sync when the Mavs started trapping him.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Mavs 31-12 in the fourth quarter, wow.

Lillard's inexperience showing, I guess. Portland's offense went out of sync when the Mavs started trapping him.

Stupid coaching decision to leave LaMarcus out until the 7-something mark in the fourth while the Mavs were able to double/trap Damian up top with a big because they didn't have to respect Leonard or Freeland in the post.

Branduil

The 2011 Mavs had a great, efficient offense, but it was different from this one. They were a veteran, well-oiled machine that relied on intelligence over speed and athleticism.

The reason a lot of Mavs fans are excited about this team is that for the first time in a really long time the Mavs have a backcourt with youth and athleticism. Also, what's impressive is that they're scoring like this without Dirk.

The Spurs' Big 3 barely played, Manu and Parker combined for 9 points, and they beat the Pacers by 22, lol.

Hibbert with more turnovers than points and assists combined.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The 2011 Mavs had a great, efficient offense, but it was different from this one. They were a veteran, well-oiled machine that relied on intelligence over speed and athleticism.

The reason a lot of Mavs fans are excited about this team is that for the first time in a really long time the Mavs have a backcourt with youth and athleticism. Also, what's impressive is that they're scoring like this without Dirk.

Mayo playing like we knew he could finally

Yeah they are different but let's not pretend that they haven't been a powerhouse O for over a decade

Branduil

Yeah they are different but let's not pretend that they haven't been a powerhouse O for over a decade

They have, but so much of that has been Dirk. Whenever Dirk's been out in the last few years the offense collapses because everything was built around Dirk's superstar skills. Right now this Mavs team is showing it can score without Dirk.

Mayo shooting 70% from three isn't going to come close to happening going forward as he's an average shooter.

Obviously not. They'll have to improve on defense and rebounding as they go forward. Of course they did beat the Lakers without Mayo shooting well.

C4Lukins

I mean they have always been top 10 over the last decade, but starting with Avery they became a lot slower. I would have to look it up but i bet that we were not top 5 that championship year.

Always good to beat Portland.

And man it is exciting watching this team. They might have scored the ball well over the years but it was always the same thing.. Dirk doing work and then JET or someone else would get hot shooting the ball. This is entirely different.. so many different elements from different players. Cannot wait to see what it looks like with Dirk in there.

Piecake

I really hope the wolves replay doesnt skip over the comeback. saw the first half and the final 5 minutes, but missed the start of that comeback...

That's always been because of Dirk and how durable he has been, hardly ever missing games. Dirk creates so many mismatches that he's never really had to have a second allstar to be a part of a high scoring team. But as we all saw last year, now that Dirk is starting to get old, he just can't handle the load anymore and it showed by the Mavs being one of the worst offensive teams. That's why we are excited to see this team, without Dirk, being able to score 100+ points a game specifically because of Mayo and Collison.

etiolate

Banned
Oh my. They now play a train whistle when the Kings hit a three. That Sleep Train mattress money.

The irony being that the Maloofs killed the arena deal that would have been built over an old railyard and would have had train transport.

Top Bottom