• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's going to be interesting to see who is interested in that situation. On one hand, if the Lakers start winning, whoever is hired will get praise like no other coach in the league for turning the team around. On the other hand, trying to coach Kobe, Dwight, Artest, and Jamison seems like just about the least pleasant job in the NBA as all of those guys are borderline uncoachable and cancerous at this point in their careers.

I mean they remember and stuff. But how many OG houston fans are their who remember them winning a championship?

They'll take anything at this point. Second round would be their superbowl after a while of mediocrity

I didn't know Rockets fans had such a low life expectancy...Do they die of natural causes or are they sacrificed to the basketball gods at the age of 30?

It's going to be interesting to see who is interested in that situation. On one hand, if the Lakers start winning, whoever is hired will get praise like no other coach in the league for turning the team around. On the other hand, trying to coach Kobe, Dwight, Artest, and Jamison seems like just about the least pleasant job in the NBA as all of those guys are borderline uncoachable and cancerous at this point in their careers.

Phil can do it.

KingGondo

Banned
They'll get Phil Jackson for 2 years.

Kobe's (supposedly) retiring then, Nash is old, Pau's contract is up.

I'd be shocked if they can't come to an agreement with Phil.

Woj said:
Mike Brown was called out of staff meeting Friday morn, told he was fired, and returned 10 mins later to tell his coaches
i know i shouldnt laugh at a man getting fired and publicly humiliated, but LOL. they didnt even tell him to stay home, let him walk his ass into the building then put him through a walk of shame.

Nelo Ice

Banned
They'll get Phil Jackson for 2 years.

Kobe's (supposedly) retiring then, Nash is old, Pau's contract is up.

I'd be shocked if they can't come to an agreement with Phil.

I swear every time Buss and co fuck up a hire they somehow manage to bring back Phil to save the season.

diehard

Fleer
I swear every time Buss and co fuck up a hire they somehow manage to bring back Phil to save the season.

Somehow it magically co-insides with them getting good players.

Coming back now that Dwight and Nash are there? That's way too Phil-like for him to pass up.

Would Phil really be interested in coaching again after his last Laker team quit on him? Sloan and Pringles could be to try to win a title to get respect, but I'm not sure Phil has anything left to prove and this would be an extremely bad situation that could hurt his reputation as some of these players tuned him out a couple of years ago.

shira

i know i shouldnt laugh at a man getting fired and publicly humiliated, but LOL. they didnt even tell him to stay home, let him walk his ass into the building then put him through a walk of shame.

It's not the same as a regular job. He's a millionaire paid by billionaires. Hell he's still getting paid. It's not really a walk of shame when you get to drive home in your ferrari to your LA mansion

Would Phil really be interested in coaching again after his last Laker team quit on him? Sloan and Pringles could be to try to win a title to get respect, but I'm not sure Phil has anything left to prove and this would be an extremely bad situation that could hurt his reputation as some of these players tuned him out a couple of years ago.

I don't know that they quit. That Mavs team was really fucking good.

Lakers fans do not want to hear that. I've been saying it for three weeks. They like to pretend that the only problem is defense, but it would take a fucking miracle to get this team to play any kind of defense.

Their problem has been live ball turnovers which create transition buckets.

get rid of that and the offense and defense look much better. Their half court defense, statistically, has been okay. And Dwight will be back in shape to make it much better.

Did we get Mike D'Antoni yet?

I have a feel that is where it is going.

Sigh...

Jimmy pls

I've never been a Mike D fan, but I think this is one team where it might work.

Yeah, this never happened.

It's not a LA thing, it's a Phil thing for Sloan.

He has a chance to take his old spot....that's like fucking your enemies wife. It'd be sloppy seconds at this point, but Sloan doesn't strike me as a choosy man.

Their problem has been live ball turnovers which create transition buckets.

get rid of that and the offense and defense look much better. Their half court defense, statistically, has been okay. And Dwight will be back in shape to make it much better.

Lol I've said it like twice here and people keep ignoring me. How the fuck do you win games averaging 18 turnovers per? You can't. Stop talking about the defense. You can't win games with that many turnovers.

They barely beat a Hornets team that was without two of the their three best players (because Okafor choked so badly he wasn't really in the series).

Lakers couldn't compete against quick, small point guards in the Drew/Pau era at all. Look back at that old Houston series. Brooks fucking wrecked them and it went 7.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS
Asked if player input will be involved in hiring, Kupchak said, "Maybe. We have veterans on this team, two of which have over 17 years."
Well at least this time they'll consult Kobe and now Nash.

Talon

Guys, guys we have more important news.

TI is doing the color commentary for the first half of the Miami-Atlanta game tonight for a local station.

They barely beat a Hornets team that was without two of the their three best players (because Okafor choked so badly he wasn't really in the series).

The Lakers were dead tired from 3 straight finals appearances. They didn't quit, they ran out of gas.

Did you forget that 15-1 run they had, too? But they used all their reserves in that stretch.

You're espousing revisionist history. That Laker team played hard until the final game when they didn't have enough in them to keep fighting. They got swept but the first two games could have easily been 2-0 Lakers.

Pau, in particular, was run down from the heavy minutes thanks to Bynum's injury to start the season.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I want Sloan to get the Lakers gig. That way when he fails, nobody can say he didn't have the talent to win.

I'm not sure Sloan is the right fit. Motion offense might be okay, but Dwight and Sloan don't seem like a combo that would work in the lockerroom.

And would Phil run the triangle wish Nash? ehhh....

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Just heard the news

After that 0-3 starts it was bound to happen

lol Princeton Offense >_<

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Mike Brown statement:
“I have great respect for the Buss family and the Lakers’ storied tradition and I thank them for the opportunity they afforded me. I have a deep appreciation for the coaches and players that I worked with this past year and I wish the organization nothing but success as they move forward.”

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I want Nate to get the Lakers gig, so at least somebody from the Blazers in the last decade can get a playoff win.

Now now. The Blazers got playoff wins. They're not the Knicks.

Shit, no-knees Brandon Roy won more games by himself in the playoffs the past 24 months than Carmelo has.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Kobe Bryant
Tough day. I've seen coaches as well as friends come and go. No matter how many years I've been playing, it's still hard to deal with. I had a good relationship with Mike and I will continue to have one. I wish him and his family nothing but the best. I spoke with him today and thanked him for all of his hard work and sacrifice.

As a team, we must focus our energy on tonight's game. We must block out the weight of today's news and simply do our jobs to the best of our ability.

I'm not sure what direction we are heading in next. All I can do is focus on the here and now.
Mamba out

That death stare said it all Mamba. Thanks for helping kick Brown out of the door.

I want Nate to get the Lakers gig, so at least somebody from the Blazers in the last decade can get a playoff win.

I know this is a joke, but Nate isn't an option according to sources. Don't want a slow offense.

Dwight Howard has told the Los Angeles Lakers he wants them to bring back Phil Jackson as coach,’ a source close to the team tells SheridanHoops.com.

Sheridan sources are like broussard sources.

Now now. The Blazers got playoff wins. They're not the Knicks.

Shit, no-knees Brandon Roy won more games by himself in the playoffs the past 24 months than Carmelo has.

to be fair tho melo did everything he could to win playoff games for the knicks

Amare on the otherhand...

Top Bottom